• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd Person Action Lovers - We eatin' gooood >>

BossLackey

Gold Member
Do you enjoy a 3rd person camera? How about stabbing things until they give you currency?

If you said yes to both, then boy have I got a lineup for you. The next year or so will see the release of quite a few 3rd person action games. Some closer to DMC, some Dark Souls, but all of them look great (okay maybe not all of them).

In no particular order…

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Developer: Team Ninja
Publisher: KOEI TECMO
Platforms: PS4, PS5, XBONE, XBSX/S, PC
Release Date: Early 2023

DEMO AVAILABLE ON PS5/XBSX/S - SEPT 16-26

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is pretty much Chinese Nioh and that sounds pretty good to me. Taking place in 184 A.D. China, you'll be wielding traditional Chinese melee/ranged weapons and magical abilities to defeat humans and mythological grotesqueries alike. Admittedly, I've barely scratched the surface of the demo, so many of you probably know more about this game than me at the moment. One of the things I find interesting about the combat is how much more movement is ingrained in the move sets. Something that sets it apart from it's Japanese cousin. On top of that, magic seems to be taking a more central and direct role in combat, whereas in Nioh it was more buff/debuff and living weapon/guardian spirit burst damage, in Wo Long you'll be using magic as their own attacks. It may be due to the demo being…well a demo, but the actual melee movesets seem to have been pared-down compared to Nioh. This may be because of the added magic moves, or we just haven’t seen the additional unlocks. Either way, it’s looking pretty good.

Game Site
Steam Page

Black Myth: WuKong

Developer: Game Science
Publisher: Game Science
Platforms: PS5, XBSX/S, PC
Release Date: 2023?

This is a weird one. Not often do we get good Chinese games and…we still may not. When this first showed up, I thought it was a tech demo vaporware game that would never see the light of day. However, the more they’ve shown, the more my skepticism has turned to intrigue. I’m still tempering my expectations.

Here’s an article I found regarding the potentially troubled development. (though I’ve never heard of xfire, so take it with a pinch of salt.)

In Black Myth: WuKong, you play as an anthropomorphic monkey…guy that is pulled straight out of the famous 16th century Chinese novel “Journey to the West”. Using a diverse (and seriously interesting) set of abilities, Wukong looks quite unique in many respects. Not to mention, it’s quite the looker. Using Unreal Engine 5 and very detailed assets and animations, it’s clearly a step up from many competitors.

I just hope this game is the real deal.

Game Site

Stellar Blade

Developer: SHIFT UP
Publisher: SHIFT UP
Platforms: PS5
Release Date: 2023

Korean developer SHIFT UP’s sci-fi character action game is lookin’ gooooood. Action, sci-fi, grotesque monsters, “fan service”, bad-ass cutscenes with gratuitous…angles. They may as well charge me $300 because I’m buying this game no matter what. For character action fans, I think this is an easy purchase (also ass fans).

Rise of the Ronin

Release Date: 2024

More historical than mythological, Team Ninja’s (boy they’re busy) 2024 Action RPG Rise of the Ronin is an interesting departure from their recent games. Less Souls and more Tsushima, it looks to be a bit more exploratory and open world than Nioh or Wo Long, with horses, wing suits, and who knows what else aiding your traversal. Oh and guns, lots of guns. There’s not a ton on this outside of the reveal trailer, but it has my interest.

Let’s just hope that by the time of it’s release, feudal Japan isn’t the beaten horse in video games I think it will be.

Bayonetta 3

Developer: PlatinumGames
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Switch
Release Date: October 28, 2022

Is it too good to be true? Is this but a dream? No! Bayonetta 3 is finally here after eight long years of waiting. People lived and died. Empires rose and fell. The troubled development of Platinum’s crown jewel has been well on display and many thought it would never happen. But at last, the hour of the witch is here and I can’t wait to raise hell.

To see it relegated to Nintendo’s poorly aged hardware is a shame, however. Low-poly backgrounds, low-res textures, and other hardware related concessions are obvious from the recent trailer. It legitimately looks like a GameCube game. Good thing it’s gonna be fun as shit.

Game Site
Nintendo’s Bayo Page

God of War Ragnarok

Developer: Santa Monica Studio
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Platforms: PS4/PS5
Release Date: November 9, 2022

The follow-up to the incredible God of War reboot is just a few months away. As a direct sequel, many of the large story and character pieces are in place, paving the way for what I hope to be a fairly fast-paced story. The set pieces from the recent trailer do not disappoint and the fight with Thor is going to be amazing I’m sure. I do hope we can get some gameplay surprises. It will be hard to top the feeling of the axe returning to your hand for the first time.

Despite adoring the last game, I wasn’t really hyped for this. That is, until I watched the State of Play Trailer. Gotdamn.

Game Site
Playstation’s GOW Site

Lords of the Fallen

Developer: HEXWORKS
Publisher: CI Games

Is it a sequel? Is it a reboot? Is it going to be good? Yes, yes and who fucking knows. 2014’s incredibly average The Lords of the Fallen was one of the very first of the “Soulslikes”. Why we’re getting a sequel/reboot now is anyone’s guess.

The only thing we have to go on is the new trailer, which looks cool despite the seemingly mandatory out of place rock song. Here’s to hoping they’ve learned a lot since their last game.

Steam Page
Official Website

Lies of P

Developer: NEOWIZ
Publisher: NEOWIZ

Rounding out our “could possibly be shit” section is Lies of P, an unabashed Bloodborne ripoff in which you (for some reason) play as Pinocchio in a fucked up grimdark version of the classic Italian children’s story. Actually, if you watch Pinnochio again you’ll realize how messed up that children’s story is to begin with. Orphans turning into donkeys. The growing nose trope to guilt trip subsequent generations out of lying. Being swallowed alive. Children getting drunk. Body horror. The list goes on. Maybe developer NEOWIZ wasn’t that off the mark when they adapted this into a hack and slash Soulslike.

Either way, if Geppetto isn’t the final boss then the devs don’t know what they’re doing.

Game Site
Steam Page

Final Fantasy XVI

Developer: SE Creative Business Unit III
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: Mid 2023

I’ve always been a fan of the beautiful art of the Final Fantasy series, but apparently can only subsist on games in which I can hammer buttons until the bad man dies. Luckily, Final Fantasy XVI is looking to be the perfect mix of character action, RPG elements, and emo anime protagonist.

I have a lot of hopes for this one. Sorry to those that wanted this to be a more traditional JRPG, but I’m glad this installment in the series is trying something I’ll probably like.

Square’s FFXVI Page

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Developer: Respawn
Publisher: Electronic Farts

I never finished the first one (despite actually quite enjoying it). I should get back to it. Very very solid and I’m sure the sequel will be more of that. Not much to say on this one.

Unfortunately, I’ll be giving EA my money.

Did I miss anything?

BossLackey

Gold Member
I also heard there is a good chance the next Perfect Dark game is going to be a reboot as a 3rd person style game, which doesn't surprise me given Crystal Dynamics involvement.

Hmmmmm. I could get into that. It would be quite difficult to live up to the memory of Perfect Dark if sticking to a strictly First Person perspective.

Just...please nothing like Perfect Dark Zero.

Hmmmmm. I could get into that. It would be quite difficult to live up to the memory of Perfect Dark if sticking to a strictly First Person perspective.

Just...please nothing like Perfect Dark Zero.
PDZ was so bad lmao. It was super obvious that Rare lost the majority of their talent between Perfect Dark and Zero, lmao.

If I had to guess and this is just a guess, but the new Perfect Dark is probably going to take aim at being the Uncharted of the Xbox, and I'm okay with that tbh. MS needs more commercially successful single player games with mass market appeal.

Chukhopops

Quite a few games indeed, looking forward to Bayo and Jedi Survivor since they are sequels of excellent games. The rest could be good surprises but too early to tell.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Great list! I'd also add Wanted Dead.

Another game coming out this week supposedly, and to little fanfare, but I'm going to pick it up is Soulstice. A sort of Berzerk inspired dmc game from the looks of it. I've been on a character action game kick lately and I like to support underdogs.

But yeah great list, next year is going to be a fun one. And another to add, even CoD is bringing 3rd person lol.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Great list! I'd also add Wanted Dead.

Another game coming out this week supposedly, and to little fanfare, but I'm going to pick it up is Soulstice. A sort of Berzerk inspired dmc game from the looks of it. I've been on a character action game kick lately and I like to support underdogs.

But yeah great list, next year is going to be a fun one. And another to add, even CoD is bringing 3rd person lol.

Wanted Dead looks fun! I hadn't heard of that but I'm interested.

I completely forgot about Soulstice. Would have added that for sure.

Aenima

And i want to play almost of them all. But not gonna buy them all at launch so some gonna wait a bit longer.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Do you enjoy a 3rd person camera? How about stabbing things until they give you currency?

If you said yes to both, then boy have I got a lineup for you. The next year or so will see the release of quite a few 3rd person action games. Some closer to DMC, some Dark Souls, but all of them look great (okay maybe not all of them).

In no particular order…

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Release Date: Early 2023

DEMO AVAILABLE ON PS5/XBSX/S - SEPT 16-26

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is pretty much Chinese Nioh and that sounds pretty good to me. Taking place in 184 A.D. China, you'll be wielding traditional Chinese melee/ranged weapons and magical abilities to defeat humans and mythological grotesqueries alike. Admittedly, I've barely scratched the surface of the demo, so many of you probably know more about this game than me at the moment. One of the things I find interesting about the combat is how much more movement is ingrained in the move sets. Something that sets it apart from it's Japanese cousin. On top of that, magic seems to be taking a more central and direct role in combat, whereas in Nioh it was more buff/debuff and living weapon/guardian spirit burst damage, in Wo Long you'll be using magic as their own attacks. It may be due to the demo being…well a demo, but the actual melee movesets seem to have been pared-down compared to Nioh. This may be because of the added magic moves, or we just haven’t seen the additional unlocks. Either way, it’s looking pretty good.

Game Site
Steam Page

Black Myth: WuKong

Developer: Game Science
Publisher: Game Science
Release Date: 2023?

This is a weird one. Not often do we get good Chinese games and…we still may not. When this first showed up, I thought it was a tech demo vaporware game that would never see the light of day. However, the more they’ve shown, the more my skepticism has turned to intrigue. I’m still tempering my expectations.

Here’s an article I found regarding the potentially troubled development. (though I’ve never heard of xfire, so take it with a pinch of salt.)

In Black Myth: WuKong, you play as an anthropomorphic monkey…guy that is pulled straight out of the famous 16th century Chinese novel “Journey to the West”. Using a diverse (and seriously interesting) set of abilities, Wukong looks quite unique in many respects. Not to mention, it’s quite the looker. Using Unreal Engine 5 and very detailed assets and animations, it’s clearly a step up from many competitors.

I just hope this game is the real deal.

Game Site

Stellar Blade

Developer: SHIFT UP
Publisher: SHIFT UP

Korean developer SHIFT UP’s sci-fi character action game is lookin’ gooooood. Action, sci-fi, grotesque monsters, “fan service”, bad-ass cutscenes with gratuitous…angles. They may as well charge me $300 because I’m buying this game no matter what. For character action fans, I think this is an easy purchase (also ass fans).

Rise of the Ronin

Release Date: 2024

More historical than mythological, Team Ninja’s (boy they’re busy) 2024 Action RPG Rise of the Ronin is an interesting departure from their recent games. Less Souls and more Tsushima, it looks to be a bit more exploratory and open world than Nioh or Wo Long, with horses, wing suits, and who knows what else aiding your traversal. Oh and guns, lots of guns. There’s not a ton on this outside of the reveal trailer, but it has my interest.

Let’s just hope that by the time of it’s release, feudal Japan isn’t the beaten horse in video games I think it will be.

Bayonetta 3

Developer: PlatinumGames
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Switch
Release Date: October 28, 2022

Is it too good to be true? Is this but a dream? No! Bayonetta 3 is finally here after eight long years of waiting. People lived and died. Empires rose and fell. The troubled development of Platinum’s crown jewel has been well on display and many thought it would never happen. But at last, the hour of the witch is here and I can’t wait to raise hell.

To see it relegated to Nintendo’s poorly aged hardware is a shame, however. Low-poly backgrounds, low-res textures, and other hardware related concessions are obvious from the recent trailer. It legitimately looks like a GameCube game. Good thing it’s gonna be fun as shit.

Game Site
Nintendo’s Bayo Page

God of War Ragnarok

Developer: Santa Monica Studio
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Platforms: PS4/PS5
Release Date: November 9, 2022

The follow-up to the incredible God of War reboot is just a few months away. As a direct sequel, many of the large story and character pieces are in place, paving the way for what I hope to be a fairly fast-paced story. The set pieces from the recent trailer do not disappoint and the fight with Thor is going to be amazing I’m sure. I do hope we can get some gameplay surprises. It will be hard to top the feeling of the axe returning to your hand for the first time.

Despite adoring the last game, I wasn’t really hyped for this. That is, until I watched the State of Play Trailer. Gotdamn.

Game Site
Playstation’s GOW Site

Lords of the Fallen

Developer: HEXWORKS
Publisher: CI Games

Is it a sequel? Is it a reboot? Is it going to be good? Yes, yes and who fucking knows. 2014’s incredibly average The Lords of the Fallen was one of the very first of the “Soulslikes”. Why we’re getting a sequel/reboot now is anyone’s guess.

The only thing we have to go on is the new trailer, which looks cool despite the seemingly mandatory out of place rock song. Here’s to hoping they’ve learned a lot since their last game.

Steam Page
Official Website

Lies of P

Developer: NEOWIZ
Publisher: NEOWIZ

Rounding out our “could possibly be shit” section is Lies of P, an unabashed Bloodborne ripoff in which you (for some reason) play as Pinocchio in a fucked up grimdark version of the classic Italian children’s story. Actually, if you watch Pinnochio again you’ll realize how messed up that children’s story is to begin with. Orphans turning into donkeys. The growing nose trope to guilt trip subsequent generations out of lying. Being swallowed alive. Children getting drunk. Body horror. The list goes on. Maybe developer NEOWIZ wasn’t that off the mark when they adapted this into a hack and slash Soulslike.

Either way, if Geppetto isn’t the final boss then the devs don’t know what they’re doing.

Game Site
Steam Page

Final Fantasy XVI

Developer: SE Creative Business Unit III
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: Mid 2023

I’ve always been a fan of the beautiful art of the Final Fantasy series, but apparently can only subsist on games in which I can hammer buttons until the bad man dies. Luckily, Final Fantasy XVI is looking to be the perfect mix of character action, RPG elements, and emo anime protagonist.

I have a lot of hopes for this one. Sorry to those that wanted this to be a more traditional JRPG, but I’m glad this installment in the series is trying something I’ll probably like.

Square’s FFXVI Page

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Developer: Respawn
Publisher: Electronic Farts

I never finished the first one (despite actually quite enjoying it). I should get back to it. Very very solid and I’m sure the sequel will be more of that. Not much to say on this one.

Unfortunately, I’ll be giving EA my money.

Did I miss anything?

You forgot wanted:dead

well you're right, but BOTW has so much variety that you can do some crazy combos unlike other zelda games.
tumblr_o8sbnhemyg1qzp9weo5_r1_640.gif

0bca9daa44f35d840ed81267a04ce4d993d39ff7_hq.gif

botwgif.gif

giphy1.gif

What crazy combos? And your gifs support that how?

You can beat every enemy easily by just swinging a sword, going out of your way to do needless things doesn't make it a good action game.

Ezquimacore

Banned
What crazy combos? And your gifs support that how?

You can beat every enemy easily by just swinging a sword, going out of your way to do needless things doesn't make it a good action game.
"You can beat every enemy easily by just swinging a sword" yeah I can do that on Ninja Gaiden too... or you can do this:

that's the point, you have the freedom to do it. but since you're going to argue and talk a bunch of shit, ok, it's not a good action game.

Great job putting this together :messenger_clapping:.
As a fanatic of 3rd person games, I get giddy when I see so many potential great games in the horizon.

The Black Myth Wukong game is absolutely intriguing. It looks jaw dropping and so unique & different. The fact that the studio has never made a AAA for Xbox/PS game adds to the intrigue. Where did these guys come from? Where did they gain the knowledge to make a game that has so much potential? I'm an optimist, so I hope they deliver.

Exciting times all around for 3rd person action fans. Especially if you're a PS5 owner.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Great job putting this together :messenger_clapping:.
As a fanatic of 3rd person games, I get giddy when I see so many potential great games in the horizon.

The Black Myth Wukong game is absolutely intriguing. It looks jaw dropping and so unique & different. The fact that the studio has never made a AAA for Xbox/PS game adds to the intrigue. Where did these guys come from? Where did they gain the knowledge to make a game that has so much potential? I'm an optimist, so I hope they deliver.

Exciting times all around for 3rd person action fans. Especially if you're a PS5 owner.

It took longer than I'd like to admit. It's such a great time to love these types of games!

I hope Black Myth turns out too. Every time they show something, I'm surprised at how fleshed out it seems. Time will tell! If they just give it enough time in the oven, I think it will be good.

"You can beat every enemy easily by just swinging a sword" yeah I can do that on Ninja Gaiden too... or you can do this:

that's the point, you have the freedom to do it. but since you're going to argue and talk a bunch of shit, ok, it's not a good action game.

The point of this thread is good action games. Not adventure games with basic combat

Fbh

Yup.
It's my favourite genre alongside RPGs and I'm really looking forward to most of these.

Your list is a good example of why when I see everyone whining about modern gaming being dead and how everything is a Fortnite clone I go

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
I think you missed Where Winds Meet. One of the most surprising games revealed, and looks/plays amazing too. Set in the 10th century imperial China (ten kingdoms), developed by Everstone Studio (Chinese), is an ARPG that borrows a lot of influences from old school Chinese Wuxia films. This one's gonna be a sleeper hit.

Oh, and of course, there's Wanted: Dead, as many people mentioned in the thread already.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Just please let most of those new ones have difficulty settings and checkpoints. I platinumed Elden Ring and am good on torture for awhile. I heard that Wo Kong game is ridiculous and just lost interest

Hopefully rise of the ronin and stellar blade and others have a fun mode and a challenge mode at least

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom