• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Reasons Why Multiplayer Has Taken Over...

How do you view the premise posed by the OP?

• More or less valid. I may or may not like it, but OP is somewhat reasonable in his take.

• OP has a massive blind spot about single player. I'll explain below.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can turn that around too. Why would Epic, EA, Ubisoft produce flop after flop even though they have access to your innovative game design holy grail? As i said, you need to stop being so deterministic in your views.

But that's just it...they are.

How many game genres are there? 30? 50? 100?

Now take a look at the top 10 - 20 most successful multiplayer games today. They all fall into 4 or 5 genres.

1. Battle Royale
2. Survival
3. Co-OP
4. MMORPG
5. Sports

Those 5 genres adhere to the principles presented in the OP far better than the other 30 - 50 genres.

You also have to consider this. Games now take 4 - 6 years to develop. That means if a new era of multiplayer arrives in say 2017/2018...the majority of studios are in active development on their old era multiplayer games. They have to push the old **** out, which takes time.

Knockout City (old era) had a 6 year dev cycle. That means it got started in 2015, before the new era arrived. Is it any wonder that it flopped? Overwatch dominated at the end of the old era. Overwatch 2 is an objectively better game on every level and it can't stay afloat. Not surprising.

That's why I tell everyone to watch the games that started development AFTER the design revolution showed up. Games that began development in 2018/2019 will be built using the lessons of the new era, not the old era.

Unfortunately, games take 4 - 6 years to make so the wave won't fully hit until 2022 - 2024.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Now take a look at the top 10 - 20 most successful multiplayer games today. They all fall into 4 or 5 genres.

1. Battle Royale
2. Survival
3. Co-OP
4. MMORPG
5. Sports

Those 5 genres adhere to the principles presented in the OP far better than the other 30 - 50 genres.
This lists conveniently ignores MOBA and CS style games, which don't adhere to those principles. Not to mention "Co-op" and "sports" are far too broad of a cathegory, and don't necessarely adhere to what you said either.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This lists conveniently ignores MOBA SPORTS and CS style games SPORTS, which don't adhere to those principles. Not to mention "Co-op" and "sports" are far too broad of a cathegory, and don't necessarely adhere to what you said either.

Alright, so you made a claim now let's test that claim by comparing it to the 4 points presented in the OP.

1. Are these games social?

This is an easy yes. Both genres encourage communication during gameplay as well as during low stress portions of gameplay. Teamwork + communication is often a key component to success.

2. Do they appeal to BARTLES 8 TYPES?

So MOBAs and Valorant have classes and heroes that appeal to different playstyles. CSGO less so, but the buying phase between rounds gives players some degree of playstyle choice.

3. Do they contain permanence + progression?

MOBA matches can last up to ~50 minutes so the level of investment is higher than a typical game. Valorant and CSGO don't score particularly well in this area but are no doubt buoyed by the social nature of the game as well as the ranking system that provides some level of permanence. Teams often stick together over months + years trying to reach the next ranking class.

4. Do they capitalize on tattoos being seen by others?

Lol, obviously. Skins, emotes, dances etc are everywhere in these games.

So MOBAS and CSGO type games, which are essentially sports games, score reasonably well in these areas.

Now are you understanding?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm just super competitive. Even at my age with the joint pain starting and the reflexes dulling, I still itch to find someone to dominate in most games I play. I do have my chill single player games and I love those games, but most days that I turn on my console or computer I'm looking to ruin someone else's day.

Multiplayer has the advantage of innate longevity over singleplayer games. I'm sure most of you have heard of the "one and done" stigma the go along with single player games. There are some that seem to be an exception to that. Games with NG+ like the Soulsborne games, or games like Tetris or maybe some roguelike's can be played over and over again while still feeling somewhat fresh. Multiplayer games (with the exception of co-op campaign experiences) don't suffer from this. It's the same game, but you never really know exactly what to expect moment to moment in a multiplayer game. It's that repeating act of discovery that keeps people coming back.

Top Bottom