• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 years ago today they caught the Son of Sam. My dad once got arrested as a suspect

Peltz

Funny story that became part of my family's lore... My dad went out to see the original Star Wars back in 1977. Then he came home, walked the dog, and when doing so got arrested because the police thought he was the Son of Sam.

When he used his phone call to dial his wife (my mom), her reaction was "Wait... Could it be? He walks the dog every night around the time of the killings?!"

Of course, my Dad was not the Son of Sam. They released him the same night they caught him because he had too many valid alibis. My mom started trusting him again a few hours later (lol). They caught the real guy, David Berkowitz, shortly thereafter. Still, it's kind of funny to think about. The look on my Dad's face must have been priceless.

bigkrev

My dad didn't get arrested as a suspect, but told me that he was once pulled over and questioned about being Son of Sam.

Kayhan

When he used his phone call to dial his wife (my mom), her reaction was "Wait... Could it be? He walks the dog every night around the time of the killings?!"

Are they.........still together?

Because damn. "So......you thought I could be the serial killer, huh?"

I think the Mom should get a pass, there's gotta be a surreal time window where your senses are thrown out of whack and then come back to you.

Son of Dad!

L Thammy

Maybe that's how your parents got together. Maybe your mom liked bad boys. How many months was it before you were born?

Jag

I was pretty young, but I remember how insane and terrified NYC was during that time. It seemed like everyone was a suspect. It dominated the news non-stop.

Top Bottom