• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

400 Millions with the first try( Uncharted movie)

MrA

Banned
This shitty movie made as much as a masterpiece like Mad Max Fury Road. Its a tale as old as time, just because something is good doesn't mean it'll be popular and just because something is bad doesn't mean it won't break records.
Fury road was a hard r, uncharted is a dumb "don't misconstrue that with bad" and serviceable indiana Jones knock off, better than the tomb raider movies but not the real deal, indy pulled 400 million 40 years ago basically its performing how an ok indy knock off should

SLB1904

Banned
Fury road was a hard r, uncharted is a dumb "don't misconstrue that with bad" and serviceable indiana Jones knock off, better than the tomb raider movies but not the real deal, indy pulled 400 million 40 years ago basically its performing how an ok indy knock off should
Standards 40 years ago isn't the same as today mate.

Lognor

Banned
I watched it and it was not very good. The end sequence was TERRIBLE! The flying ship shit was so bad. Wtf were they thinking?

That's a really impressive figure considering it wasn't critically acclaimed.
Have ’t watched the movie, not do I have any intentions of doing so (nothing special, just not my kimd of movie).

However, is that really something that matters nowadays, critical acclaim in the traditional sense?

mitch1971

How much did you see in 15 minutes? Can’t have been much more than the airplane start and the kid years flashback. It gets better. I had some issues with the introduction of both Sully and Chloe, Sam as well, too good-looking lol, the casting clearly has issues, but otherwise I thought it was an entertaining treasure hunter movie with some cool action.
To be Honest Fredrick, maybe my 15 minute timer my have been slightly wrong, but I couldn't help notice that the time between Nathan meeting Sully, then meeting Chloe was a little too trundicated for my liking. They basically condensed hours of story telling into x amount of minutes to push the story to the action. I get it from a box office point of view, but I'm an older viewer so I couldn't get past that kind of shallow story telling to continue. I wasn't expecting the godfather, but jeez put some meat of the bones of these relationships before advancing the plot.

Last edited:

flying_sq

I thought it was okay, but then end with the helicopters lost me. Same reason I ditched F&F years ago, too ridiculous. I thought Chole could have been used much more. Would have been cool if they had implemented a twist like the games had. Nazi zombies, people driven crazy by sap, stuff like that. I always liked the weird things they did in the games.

MrA

Banned
Oh fuck me. Console warring is understanble shit has being around since the 90s. But movie warring, nope I ain't doing that. See ya later alligator.
Check the mirror dude,only warrior here is you, all I said is it performed like a an Indians knock off and you flipped because “Sony product insufficiently praised, must commence attack”

Last edited:

Shmunter

Throwaway popcorn flic. Really did not like the leaps of logic like gps working underground etc. But it is what it is.

tmlDan

I actually enjoyed the movie, just saw it recently.

it's not amazing or anything but I wasn't bored, it was fun.

Fredrik

To be Honest Fredrick, maybe my 15 minute timer my have been slightly wrong, but I couldn't help notice that the time between Nathan meeting Sully, then meeting Chloe was a little too trundicated for my liking. They basically condensed hours of story telling into x amount of minutes to push the story to the action. I get it from a box office point of view, but I'm an older viewer so I couldn't get past that kind of shallow story telling to continue. I wasn't expecting the godfather, but jeez put some meat of the bones of these relationships before advancing the plot.
Good explanation 👍
And for that I can share that my wife walked away too after awhile, for her it was too much double-crossing, felt like nobody could be trusted. But I enjoyed it and knew that would be part of the story from having played the games, I think every character has trust issues in that IP heh

supernova8

Banned
It was decent as far as popcorn/video game movies go to be fair. Holland was still the wrong choice for Drake and they kinda blew their load doing set pieces from 3 and 4 in one go.
I haven't actually watched it yet but from the trailers it looked like they at least didn't completely fuck it up, which should be applauded in the context of video game movies. On the flipside you could say Uncharted is basically every generic treasure hunter movie ever made and therefore they would have to be idiots to mess it up.

But hey look how terrible that Resident Evil movie was.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Pratt wouldn’t have worked as young Nate, he’s almost as old as me and I’m gray. They would’ve needed a whole other story. As I see it this was rewritten parts from Uncharted 3, the younger years. If they make another one where he’s the experienced treasure hunter in the mid to late 30s from the games they need another actor, I doubt Tom Holland will age fast enough to play that role.
They weren't doing the young Nate story when they approached Chris Pratt. They only did it when they hired Tom Holland. With Chris, we'd have gotten more of a game-style Uncharted with adult Nate and old Sully.

It was a really fun, feel-good family movie. One where the male leads aren't being constantly shat on by perfect, entirely flawless "strong female characters".

As a litmus test, my wife absolutely loved it.

As much as I didn't care for the casting choices for Drake and Sully, both Tom and Marc gave great performances and by the end, it really felt like an Uncharted movie.
At least they didn't cast Ryan Reynolds as Drake.

Sony deserves the success for this.

Last edited:

Fredrik

They weren't doing the young Nate story when they approached Chris Pratt. They only did it when they hired Tom Holland. With Chris, we'd have gotten more of a game-style Uncharted with adult Nate and old Sully.
Yeah okay with a different story that would’ve worked. 👍

As it is I still enjoyed it. It’s kinda like the new Tomb Raider, it’s not like Alicia Vikander looks anything like game Lara Croft either but it works for the early days. Both series needs a new cast to pull off the iconic days that started the hype.

yurinka

We also have to consider the movie had many issues during production and ended having bad reviews.

Imagine if everything would have been smooth and would have made an awesome movie.

Editaur

Ended up seeing it and the animations felt more natural in the games.

It was just okay. A very safe movie.

geary

That's a really impressive figure considering it wasn't critically acclaimed.
Not really, i think any action pack movie with Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg would reach 400 mil, only because the fact the actors and well known.

Wohc

Banned
Not really, i think any action pack movie with Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg would reach 400 mil, only because the fact the actors and well known.
I wouldn't say that. The Expandables had more star power and didn't achieve 400m. There must be more factors than just the cast.

Cyborg

I don't get the hate... It was enjoyable and fun as long as you don't look too much into the game part of the movie. It was just fun and I liked it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This movie was fine for anyone who just wanted to see Tiny Tom Holland in a safe, inoffensive action movie.

For Uncharted fans? Not so much.

Kerotan

I loved it and would watch a sequel.

Assuming the next uncharted isn't far into development they should look to launch another movie in 2 year's and then a 3rd in 4/5 years to coincide with a new Uncharted game. That would be a powerful combination.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony having fun collecting all kinds of box office money then renting them on Netflix, Disney+, HBO, and every possible streaming front. While others like WB, Disney are drowning. Sony Pictures is doing it like PlayStation, give the movie time to sell, then release it on subscription services after for the highest profit possible.

RaduN

I don't know how i managed to watch this movie until the end.

It's in the category of: i watched it for free, but i still want my money back. A pile of shit from first second to the last.

That recent Tomb Raider movie, of course a crap movie as well, was leagues better.

NahaNago

Not too surprising. The movie was pretty much a summer blockbuster type movie starring Tom Holland so it should do well. I thought the movie wasn't that great but the movie was somewhat enjoyable. It is still a terrible casting choice.

kyussman

Good for them......however,I haven't seen the movie.......my taste in film is far to refined for this type of popcorn rubbish,lol.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
My friends who never played Uncharted also liked the movie. I guess they knew what they were doing. As a fan of the series still havent seen it and not sure if I will even tho I like Tom and Marky.

FStubbs

Sony having fun collecting all kinds of box office money then renting them on Netflix, Disney+, HBO, and every possible streaming front. While others like WB, Disney are drowning. Sony Pictures is doing it like PlayStation, give the movie time to sell, then release it on subscription services after for the highest profit possible.
Is Disney+ drowning? I thought it had too much content and was too big to fail.

Amiga

Not bad for a non-superhero movie in the pandemic era.
The biggest box office for Mark Wahlberg outside of the Transformers and Ted1. And for Tom Holland it is the only non-Spider-Man movie that didn't bomb for him. They would both be very incentivized to get right on making the sequel.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is Disney+ drowning? I thought it had too much content and was too big to fail.

US government might intervene to help it from bankruptcy like they did twice for General Motors:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
US government might intervene to help it from bankruptcy like they did twice for General Motors:

Disney+ is making bank for them, only problem Disney has right now is the boss is a cheap ass that skimps on theme park investments and can’t keep his mouth shut about political stuff causing the whole reedy creek thing.

Desantis just using the situation that will never go into effect to further his bid at a higher political position.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Disney+ is making bank for them, only problem Disney has right now is the boss is a cheap ass that skimps on theme park investments and can’t keep his mouth shut about political stuff causing the whole reedy creek thing.

Desantis just using the situation that will never go into effect to further his bid at a higher political position.

Thanks, and about Destiny in case you've missed it:

Top Bottom