• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4A Games bring fan-designed Metro weapon to life in-game

Bi50N

Thought I would share this here.

As a student trying to break into the games industry (some 15 years ago now) I used to send speculative game designs and ideas to studios and publishers. And I'd get the polite but firm response each time - 'we do not accept unsolicited submissions...'

And ironically, in my very first role at THQ (back in 2003) one of my jobs was to reply to letters and emails, and return fan submissions with a similar response.

And it was just as depressing writing them as getting them.

So the opportunity to do this with 4A Games was... kinda special. And if they are not already one of your favourite developers, they really, really should be. Read how it happened here:

THE MULTI-BARRELED BICYCLE SHOTGUN - FROM FAN-MADE DESIGN TO IN-GAME REALITY

The original design:

3696557.jpg

4A's bike bell addition - note, they even modelled the clamp...

3696565.png

Hi-Res model

3696564.jpg

In-game

3696601.jpg

...We were able to add the weapon to the 'Shooting Gallery' and ‘AI Arena’ components of the Developer Pack DLC - a gun range / challenge arena where every weapon, in every configuration is available to test. The weapon will also appear in the upcoming ‘Chronicles Pack’ DLC.

Fucking awesome. I can't wait to try this bad boy out. 4A is one of the coolest devs out there.

awesome :D now the 3 barrel shotgun of ROTT is really in trouble!

As a student trying to break into the games industry (some 15 years ago now) I used to send speculative game designs and ideas to studios and publishers. And I'd get the polite but firm response each time - 'we do not accept unsolicited submissions...

well yeah, game ideas are the ones that game studios are never out of. you need to get yourself to a tester position where you can actually give feedback and have more effect.

Hypron

Hey guys ;)

Actually this is my brother's work. He's using my account on that website. He's completely stoked, I haven't seen him that excited in a long time. A thousand thanks to 4A for making him that happy!

Kainazzo

Whoa, that's good IQ in that screenshot. I play it with all settings at max and it doesn't quite match that shot. Is it photoshopped or is there a program I can use to get it looking like that?

sirap

Whoa, that's good IQ in that screenshot. I play it with all settings at max and it doesn't quite match that shot. Is it photoshopped or is there a program I can use to get it looking like that?

Gotta downsample to get something close to that.

Bi50N

Actually, I captured the in-game screens myself, using Fraps, on a pretty modest rig - a single GTX 580. High Quality settings, tessellation on. But no SSAA.

1080p, and I captured direct to .png format.

Our capture build allows me to slow down the game speed which makes it a little easier.

I used Photoshop to make very slight adjustments to brightness / contrast (usually +20 contrast). I guess that makes them bullshots right? :¬)

I linked to GamePlanet's hosted image, so they have reduced the size further. Here's the original uploaded to my Flickr:

9833362255_cea30b7945_o.png

And here's the original capture before any adjustment

9833440026_153554a7aa_o.png

Kainazzo

Actually, I captured the in-game screens myself, using Fraps, on a pretty modest rig - a single GTX 580. High Quality settings, tessellation on. But no SSAA.

Our capture build allows me to slow down the game speed which makes it a little easier.

I used Photoshop to make very slight adjustments to brightness / contrast (usually +20 contrast). I guess that makes them bullshots right? :¬)

I linked to GamePlanet's hosted image, so they have reduced the size further. Here's the original uploaded to my Flickr:

Cool, appreciate the explanation! I guess I need to slow down my play so I can better see the beauty of this game. Have had a lot of fun with Metro, and wasn't sure what would happen after the THQ ordeal. Thanks for releasing it :)

RoKKeR

Nice, very cool. It must be nice that you don't have to work too hard to make Metro look amazing. Still can't believe a) how good the game looks and b) how well optimized it is, especially coming off of the rather horribly optimized 2033.

Bummed that I'm away from my PC for the time being, but I think come Christmas time I'll pick up the season pass and burn through all of the DLC, with the new weapon included.

Top Bottom