• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K 120hz Firmware rollout begins for Sony X900H / XH90

dotnotbot

You can put Kodi on the tv? How does it run compared to a Shield TV?

Can't speak for XH90 but Kodi Plex on A80J (which has the same SOC as XH90) worked fine. You can buy USB to Ethernet adapter (not all of them work though) to get 300 or so Mbps over cable. Dolby Vision MKV remuxes play fine, but FEL data seems to be discarded (same as Shield). Shield has an advantage of supporting loseless audio and Atmos, this is unfortunately not possible on Plex with any smart TV.

EDIT: Wait, I'm dumb, I mixed up Kodi with Plex. :messenger_neutral: but yes, there's Kodi as well.

Last edited:

protonion

Anyone else experiencing random crashes after the update?

The tv will just crash and cannot be turned on before unplugging and plugging the power cord.

I had zero crashes for over a year and now I have one per day.

I did a factory reset...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone else experiencing random crashes after the update?

The tv will just crash and cannot be turned on before unplugging and plugging the power cord.

I had zero crashes for over a year and now I have one per day.

I did a factory reset...
Negative. Everything seems fine on my end.

Did the factory reset clear it up?

protonion

Negative. Everything seems fine on my end.

Did the factory reset clear it up?
No...

It happens only when watching normal TV.
No issues during Netflix or PlayStation.

I noticed that after the update channels take a little more time to switch. Like one second more.
Weird. And there is no way to roll back afaik.

cormack12

Gold Member

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Adds Features for PlayStation®5
  • Support VRR Function

Restrictions​

• Only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries/regions.
  • Make sure your model is in the list of Applicable models mentioned at the top of this page.
  • Do not attempt to install this software on a TV model which is not listed on this page. Doing so could potentially create issues with functionalities of your TV.

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Adds Features for PlayStation®5
  • Support VRR Function

Restrictions​

• Only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries/regions.
  • Make sure your model is in the list of Applicable models mentioned at the top of this page.
  • Do not attempt to install this software on a TV model which is not listed on this page. Doing so could potentially create issues with functionalities of your TV.
I did this update and as soon as i turned on the PS5 is did the automatic HDR thing.
Didn't try VRR but i'm sure it's the same crap as in the USA.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
So I updated my xh90 to the latest firmware, because I was getting some handshake issues, that would drop sound when switching back to my pc hdmi; a quick restart of the TV would fix it, but hey why not just update the tv and hope it fixes the problem?

Well this might be one of the worst updates I've ever experienced.
First the UI has changed now so every time you go into settings, it moves away from the input so you lose the audio that might be playing....this used to be just a simple overlay like everything else in the damn menu.

Second, and the most egregious thing, for some reason the update forces ALLM to be enabled on pc, this means start a game and boom, locked to game mode...even with 'auto picture mode' disabled this shit happens; the tv is already very low latency in standard mode @120hz, so game mode is not needed at all, heck it's the worst option because it looks like shit; it's only required for 60hz.

I actually had to use some program called CRU, to edit the edid to disable ALLM, that or manually add some registry entries...I don't understand how Sony thought this was acceptable, or how it's even legal to change how I want to use my TV..., also I checked my XSX and it has an option to enable/disable ALLM, so why the fuck doesn't windows/nvidia/amd have these options as well?

/rant

cormack12

Gold Member
Necrooooooooooo

What do I need to do to enable HGiG on my PS5 and the X90H

I only have auto, hdr10 and dolby options on the TV. I can't see anything in the PS5 screen and video options either?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know so I asked ChatGPT

To enable High Dynamic Range for Gaming (HGiG) on your PS5 and X90H, follow these general steps:

1. **Ensure HGiG Compatibility:**
- Make sure that both your PS5 and X90H TV support HGiG. Check the specifications and documentation for your TV to confirm its compatibility with HGiG.

2. **Update Firmware/Software:**
- Ensure that your PS5 and X90H TV have the latest firmware/software updates installed. Manufacturers often release updates to add new features and improve compatibility.

3. **PS5 Settings:**
- On your PS5, go to "Settings."
- Select "Screen and Video."
- Choose "Video Output" and then "HDR."
- Enable "HDR" if it's not already enabled.

4. **TV Settings:**
- On your X90H TV, access the TV settings menu.
- Navigate to the picture settings.
- Look for an option related to HDR or HGiG. This might be in a section like "Picture Mode" or "Advanced Settings."

5. **Enable HGiG:**
- If there's a specific setting for HGiG, enable it. This may be a toggle switch or an option within a menu.

6. **Adjust Picture Settings:**
- Fine-tune the picture settings to your preference. You may find settings for brightness, contrast, color, and other parameters.

7. **Verify HGiG Activation:**
- Check your TV's on-screen display or information panel to confirm that HGiG is active while playing HDR-compatible games on your PS5.

8. **Game Settings:**
- Some games may have specific HDR settings. Check the in-game settings to ensure that HDR is enabled.

Remember that the specific steps and menu options can vary based on the firmware versions of your devices. Refer to the user manuals for your PS5 and X90H for detailed instructions tailored to your specific models.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't know so I asked ChatGPT

To enable High Dynamic Range for Gaming (HGiG) on your PS5 and X90H, follow these general steps:

1. **Ensure HGiG Compatibility:**
- Make sure that both your PS5 and X90H TV support HGiG. Check the specifications and documentation for your TV to confirm its compatibility with HGiG.

2. **Update Firmware/Software:**
- Ensure that your PS5 and X90H TV have the latest firmware/software updates installed. Manufacturers often release updates to add new features and improve compatibility.

3. **PS5 Settings:**
- On your PS5, go to "Settings."
- Select "Screen and Video."
- Choose "Video Output" and then "HDR."
- Enable "HDR" if it's not already enabled.

4. **TV Settings:**
- On your X90H TV, access the TV settings menu.
- Navigate to the picture settings.
- Look for an option related to HDR or HGiG. This might be in a section like "Picture Mode" or "Advanced Settings."

5. **Enable HGiG:**
- If there's a specific setting for HGiG, enable it. This may be a toggle switch or an option within a menu.

6. **Adjust Picture Settings:**
- Fine-tune the picture settings to your preference. You may find settings for brightness, contrast, color, and other parameters.

7. **Verify HGiG Activation:**
- Check your TV's on-screen display or information panel to confirm that HGiG is active while playing HDR-compatible games on your PS5.

8. **Game Settings:**
- Some games may have specific HDR settings. Check the in-game settings to ensure that HDR is enabled.

Remember that the specific steps and menu options can vary based on the firmware versions of your devices. Refer to the user manuals for your PS5 and X90H for detailed instructions tailored to your specific models.
Yeah that's where I'm at. I just can't see HGiG specific options.

The XH90 did get a firmware update enabling it. And I know the PS5 supports it. Maybe its all just done automatically

Top Bottom