• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K 120hz Firmware rollout begins for Sony X900H / XH90

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
We've seen games released in beta state, and now we're seeing tvs been released in beta state? What a time to be alive.

To people keeping their hope up for improvements : its a sponsored video, which makes it even worse, as the content creator often softens the bad things and highlights the good things.

Ayyy there ya go lads its the blessed variable refresh rate!

And look at that its shit.

Just gimme consistent v-synced framerates, thanks devs.
V sync is garbage. G sync and amd freesync is the way, unless you want bad input.

Loxus

I recall on some Samsung sets it fucked up the gamma accuracy too.

I totally get the appeal of VRR for PC gaming. G-sync monitors and all that, etc. But on consoles & TVs, VRR will become the go-to excuse for devs to deliver shittier performance in games and TV manufactures to deliver shittier image quality.
I agree with you 100%.
Prevention is better that a cure.
On consoles devs just have to optimize their games to have a capped frame rate without drops. Dynamic Resolution can handle the rest.

I'm not downplaying VRR, it's great for what it does. But it's actually better to have a stable 30/40/60 fps from the start imo.

Neys

Neo Member
I don't know how true this is Reddit Bravia, it's already 1 year old but might explain quite a lot how Sony designed their TVs and their chip choices. These (cost-cutting?) decisions might also explain the ps5 lack of vrr and 32 Gbps to this day if we are to believe this comment below: I have put in yellow the important part.

The quoted user also commented multiple times about it and clarified/added information if you go by his history and makes sense if you maybe want further information.

Disclaimer ! my own speculation !

It's also strange that VRR range on Sony TVs start at >48 Hz, but LG C9 (2019) is <40 Hz, Samsung Q90R (2019) is <20 Hz and all the newer flagship models from LG and Samsung after that year were <20 Hz. The >48 Hz (some >40 Hz) range was typical for Freesync(Adaptive Sync), hdmi 2.0 VRR, Gsync (not the hardware modules ones, those were lower/better). This might explain the VRR range on their Mediatek 5893 chip (custom MT 5598) which is a HDMI 2.0 chip if we are to believe the reddit post above.

Well... you do not need 40 Gbps for 8K@60. Just take a look at DisplayPort 1.4.
DSC is the magic word. In other words: If you are using DSC 24 Gbps would be enough for 8K@60@10Bit@444.

Regarding the 32 Gbps topic: It looks like some people have already forgotten how Sony implemented HDMI on the PS4.
With PS4 Sony went a really strange way by using a DP => HDMI Converter chip from Panasonic. This chip can be seen on every photo of
a PS4 motherboard. Why does it matter for PS5? Simple answer: PS5 is using an updated chip that does the same thing. Most likely a DisplayPort 1.4 => HDMI 2.1 converter from Panasonic Nuvoton. This chip can be seen on the PS5 mainboard.

Now guess what the maximum bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.4 is? Spoiler: It is 32 Gbps.
This should explain why PS5 is only outputting at 32 Gbps. And it should also explain why PS5 most likely won't be able to go higher
than 32 Gbps. But as I mentioned earlier: 32 Gbps is no problem at all (at least if your 8K TV has support for DSC). The only thing Sony has to do now is to enable DSC. Which should not be that hard. But we are talking about Sony. It probably is hard for them. But sooner or later they will add this feature.

A few concluding words regarding HDMI 2.1 and DSC in general: DSC will be a really important factor during the next few years. Especially when "HDMI 2.1" will be introduced into lower end TVs/AVRs/Soundbars etc.. This is because 40 Gbps/48 Gbps chipsets are expensive at the moment. Which is why some manufacturers will use lower-tier-chipsets that only support 24 Gbps. But they need a DSC compatible source in order to achive the higher bandwidth. Remember Yamahas lower end AVRs from 2020 with multiple 8K inputs? Yes. Those AVRs are in fact using a 24 Gbps chipset. However, thanks to the HDMI 2.1 bug Yamaha will replace the whole HDMI board and replace it with a HDMI board that has support for a higher bandwidth. So this should not be an issue. Just keep in mind to look for stuff like "8K60AB, 4K120AB" in the product specifications. If the technical specs only mention 8K60B/4K120B this means that the device is using a low end chipset that requires DSC. (A = uncompressed, AB = compressed and uncompressed, B = compressed). But this is getting OT now.

Ev1L AuRoN

Well, now we can play Rachet and Clank at 40fps with RT

41iL16ABkxL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Kagey K

Banned
I agree with you 100%.
Prevention is better that a cure.
On consoles devs just have to optimize their games to have a capped frame rate without drops. Dynamic Resolution can handle the rest.

I'm not downplaying VRR, it's great for what it does. But it's actually better to have a stable 30/40/60 fps from the start imo.
All games should have a locked framerate mode and an unlocked one.

That way people that have VRR TV's can enjoy higher framerates, while people that don't can have their locked 30.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The new VRR isn't the full release VRR I am hearing. It's Android 10 and 11 is needed to fully resolve certain issues.
I seen on the FB page that they added a Dolby Vision Game mode now.

vOJkKNC.jpg
It's not the final one. Sony released a statement saying this is beta, and the another will be coming later in the year. I think they mentioned Android 11 as well. Everything is lining up exactly what that Sony rep said on Stop the FOMO roundtable.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

This might explain the VRR range on their Mediatek 5893 chip (custom MT 5598) which is a HDMI 2.0 chip if we are to believe the reddit post above.

? Sony is using MT5895 in XH90. It seems to be S900 in disguise which is full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 chipset according to Mediatek. Also the exact same SOC can be found in their entire XR 2021 line-up, the only difference is added XR co-processor.

Last edited:
Gotta give it to Sony they got some dedicated fans. Loyal even at their own peril. When I was TV shopping and saw they didnt have VRR but were promising it later my first thought was "fuck outta here". Ain't nobody running game on me.
Unfortunately the aren't loyal like microsoft fans that liked games for windows live drm and kinect.

Lognor

Banned
Yikes! I was holding out hope that Sony would deliver the goods because the lack of gaming features in the a80j had me leaning towards the c1, even with the worse picture quality.

But if this is the end result I might just get the c1 or wait for the 2022 models when Sony hopefully gets their shit together. Embarrassing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Cheers, mate! I'm waiting for the X90J although I really don't care about VRR but it's nice to know that everything is working as intended. I mainly need to upgrade to a 10-bit panel anyway. Warm regards!

Disclaimer: I golded myself.
Sometimes you have to do stuff, which others won't do

dotnotbot

Aren't these the 2020 sets with the inferior processor to the 2021 models?

No, 2021 sets use exact same SOC. The only difference is that 2021 sets have additional XR co-processor.
That co-processor helps with post-processing stuff like smoothing out color banding or improving upscalling further but can't solve fundamental issues that main processor - MT5895 - has.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
He could have tested both consoles, maybe the new update prefers the PS5 as the main source. He, as a trusted reviewer, should know that.
true romance smile GIF

Closer

If updates can come at a later date, why even review anything when available, am I rite?

Last edited:

Banned
They(Sony) tricked you into buying a Sony TV. I would be pissed.

the fact that people still buy Sony TVs is more surprising to me than the fact that they fucked up VRR

He could have tested both consoles, maybe the new update prefers the PS5 as the main source. He, as a trusted reviewer, should know that.
true romance smile GIF

yeah, why not test PS5 VRR... oh wait...

Last edited:

dotnotbot

the fact that people still buy Sony TVs is more surprising to me than the fact that they fucked up VRR

Gaming isn't everything. Most people who buy TVs don't play games on them at all. Sony's processing and factory calibration are still top-notch.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My TV got the update and just sticking with the 4k 120 non VRR as it still looks great, at least Ori did in what little I tried it.

There is no blurriness in Ori

Come At Me Si Tu Te Vas GIF by Ximena Sariñana

recursive

I checked the box away but still have all the paperwork etc and confirmation email of purchase. Do I have grounds on a refund? If not can I pour coffee over the back of it and get my money back my 1 year guarantee ends in December
Would recommend dropping paper clips into electronics enclosure and then removing over coffee.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If someone cared about features like this why would they buy a sony tv in the first place? brand loyalty? Sony oled tvs are the best for movies but thats about it

Sony hasn't been my go to for gaming tv since the Trinitron days ten years ago it was Samsung now its LG (OLED) and Hisense (LED)

Nah, Sony has released some brilliant TVs for gaming (as well as movies and basically everything else) over the last 5 years or so. Objectively better TVs than most others.

But this shit is a mess for sure.

dotnotbot

If someone cared about features like this why would they buy a sony tv in the first place? brand loyalty? Sony oled tvs are the best for movies but thats about it

Sony hasn't been my go to for gaming tv since the Trinitron days ten years ago it was Samsung now its LG (OLED) and Hisense (LED)

Weird choice, Hisense is also using Mediatek and has "fake" 4k@120 and no local dimming with VRR in game mode.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Vincent is the best in the business. I'm sure he'll provide updates as Sony does but this certainly isn't the best foot forward.

lucius

The 900h was always considered a mid range why compare it to top range TV. Yeah TVs got some problems I still really like it for the price I paid even the CX was 40% more which I liked but wasn’t worth that much more to me plus most people in the know saying you need to buy that with a extended warranty or you shouldn’t.

KAL2006

Banned
For 4K60 gaming and movie watching is this TV still decent enough. I do like that it has a decent chip for Android. Atleast that's one thing it has over LG. I use pirated streaming apps and you can only do that with Android. Obviously I can connect a Kindle etc but it's nice to have have it built in and just use the same remote. Also isn't motion and upscaling features not better than LG?

OverHeat

« generous god »
For 4K60 gaming and movie watching is this TV still decent enough. I do like that it has a decent chip for Android. Atleast that's one thing it has over LG. I use pirated streaming apps and you can only do that with Android. Obviously I can connect a Kindle etc but it's nice to have have it built in and just use the same remote. Also isn't motion and upscaling features not better than LG?
Pirated streaming …

KAL2006

Banned
Pirated streaming …

Lol I don't like subbing to multiple apps there is this dodgy app that allows me to stream everything on 1 app and includes latest blurays that's not even on streaming apps. It's been useful I been watching 4k movies and TV shows on it for over a year. I can throw any movie or TV show on this app and instantly watch 4k quality no buffering.

Why even release it in this state? I am assuming because there is pressure to release something so that they can check the box that they delivered VRR. The whole thing is dissapointing.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Weird choice, Hisense is also using Mediatek and has "fake" 4k@120 and no local dimming with VRR in game mode.

Sony is overcharging for what little they are offering the price difference is why Hisense makes sense

The last truly good non-OLED Sony tv was the X900E in 2017.

After the hisense fixed the U8G ghosting and motion problem with an update the overall picture is much better than the LED Sony offerings

Lognor

Banned
You can put Kodi on the tv? How does it run compared to a Shield TV?

KAL2006

Banned
You can put Kodi on the tv? How does it run compared to a Shield TV?

Probably the same speed for me. I also have a Shield TV which I now moved to another TV as the chip inside this TV is as powerful as a 2017 smart phone. I don't use Jodi though I use something called Syncler with a real debrid account. I also use Smart Tube TV for add free YouTube. I've seen YouTube videos of emulators running on this in fullspeed such as PS1. I only tested Retroarch with SNES game and deleted it immediately as I feel retro games look terrible on a 65 inch TV, I play retro games exclusively in handheld mode on my hacked Switch.

Top Bottom