• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4k/60 is out of the question for standards for XSX/PS5 right?

Justin9mm

This might be controversial, but I am not sure we need full 4k for games unless you sit super close to the TV. 1440 to 1800 look really good and allow for 60 fps to be maintained. the detail level going from resolutions in those ranges to 4k is very minimal from what I can see. I think maintaining 60 fps is way more important than the higher resolution. Dropping FPS or a game having a sluggish feeling is the first thing I will notice while playing.
I agree with this, give me 1440p / 60 and I'm happy! I sit 3 metres from an 85 inch TV and it's more than fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Of course. That was never realistic as a standard resolution/framerate. 4K60 is 8x more pixels than 1080p30, which was standard last gen (on PS4, not counting the upgrades consoles), and the new consoles don't have the power to push 8x more pixels. 1440p60 or 4K30, sure (although most games will use reconstruction instead of wasting power on native 4K).

60fps will also become less and less common as last gen is left behind. Right now it's easy to make any PS4 game run at 60fps on PS5/XSX with some additional upgrades, but once someone wants to REALLY push these consoles that's over (I do think we will still see more 60fps games throughout the generation than we did last gen though).

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
This might be controversial, but I am not sure we need full 4k for games unless you sit super close to the TV. 1440 to 1800 look really good and allow for 60 fps to be maintained. the detail level going from resolutions in those ranges to 4k is very minimal from what I can see. I think maintaining 60 fps is way more important than the higher resolution. Dropping FPS or a game having a sluggish feeling is the first thing I will notice while playing.
Not controversial at all. I’d call that common sense.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am a big 4k sympathizer since forever. Even before gaming on oled close in my face, I downsampled from 4k on 1080p monitor and then played on real 4k monitor.
But these were different times with worse anti aliasing.
Now we have checkerboardings to start with, TAA, DLSS and maybe fsr2. So it's safe to say, when proper techniques are used 1440p -> 4k is good enough really.
DLSS is so good, I can honestly say, it's quality setting looks BETTER than native 4k.

Rob_27

I thought the one x was nearly doing 4k and 30fps so why is the series x and ps5 still stuck there.

I thought the one x was nearly doing 4k and 30fps so why is the series x and ps5 still stuck there.
Those xb1x games you're talking about are all now being run at double the framerate. These consoles are pretty much exactly twice as powerful in real world performance. The problem is games are now also running higher settings. So far cry 5 > fc 6 can't just double the fps because fc6 is more demanding than fc5, so the ps5 struggles to simply double fps. It has to use dynamic res and turns in a lower average res (also has nasty screen tearing on ps5). Series X faired better with that game. Same deal with Doom Eternal, ps5 can't run that at 4k/60 because next gen version also has RT and higher settings.

I do think the consoles are less powerful than most people thought they were going to be. So many games have big compromises when going to 60 fps. Dying Light 1 is only 1440p/60 on next gen with identical settings to last gen version. Dying Light 2 is only 1080/60 and that's a native ps5 app.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
After a year and a half, it appears we either get 4k with 30 fps or we sacrifice resolution for framerate. Like most people the framerate is clearly more important so I rarely play games in true 4k on my ps5.

Rockstar couldn't even get GTA 5, (a game nearly a decade old) to run at 4k/60.

I think many of us including myself had unreasonable expectations with these consoles.
giphy.gif

Throw in "Raytracing" + 4k/60fps and I remember thinking some of you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

MikeM

Meh. If I wanted 4k60, I know that 3080 power minimum is required. No way PS5/Series X specs could get anywhere near that.

So long as they offer solid 60fps experiences, i’m happy.

Top Bottom