• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4k, 60fps, or Quality w/ray tracing. Console players what is your choice?

4k, 60fps, or Quality mode on consoles?

• 60FPS (often sacrificing resolution and deatils)

Votes: 188 66.7%
  • Resolution (native 4k often not having all effects on)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Quality mode (all effects on but at a lesser resolution than native 4k)

Votes: 67 23.8%
  • 1080p here!

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I know, I know, If I spend a couple grand I can get all 3 with an expensive Rig. I have been a conosle gamer since the 80's and enjoy playing on a closed ecosystem. As a PLaystation 5 owner, I often times have to make the choice between the 3. Often times I am torn for several reasons:

1. Yes 60FPS matters, but I purchased a ps5 to see graphics that were a major step above the ps4 level. Often times, 60fps is a sacrifice that downgrades graphics to ps4 level. Resolutions drops to 1080p and sometimes worse.

2.Quality mode often turns on all the features while adding more detail. Ray Tracing is a major upgrade this generation. Outside of R&C A rift apart, 60FPS and Ray tracing are never an option. Often times, one has to choose between Ray Tracing with lesser resolution or just a 4k image. I personally want to see the bells and whiles myself.

3. A native 4k resolution is nice but often times Ray tracing or other effects are sacrificed. Even thought I play on a 55inch 4k, I still think I rather have the ray tracing, enhanced reflections, etc over pure resolution.

4. TV matters a ton here. I am gaming on a 55 inch 4k Quantum Dot display with 1400 nit brightness and dolby vision HDR. Ray tracing and HDR make a ton of difference in my situation. If one is gaming on a 1080p display it would always make sense to go with 60fps.

I think my personal choice is going to be Quality mode in most situations. If it's a competitive FPS then of course 60 but in most cases I want to see the best fidelity I can see.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I dont want a choice, and would prefer if the devs just tailored the experience for me. If i wanted to fuck around with settings and choose what i want to sacrafice, id build a pc.

Side note, i dont understand why 60 fps dying light two is locked at 1080p for 60fps? Did techland just optimize it poorly?

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I don't really care how pretty a game is in stills, I just know I won't feel like playing it at 30fps if I have a choice.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
60 fps.

I dont know what kind of threshold it would take for me to go with 30 fps with better res of effects, but I've been fine playing at 60 fps modes.

Have fun playing shooters, sports, racing, fighting games or fast action heavy games like NG or DMC at 30 fps.

Last edited:

elliot5

Depends on the game, but typically 60 FPS. I can bear Forza Horizon 5 at 30 FPS, but prefer 60. I played GOTG in RT mode because that game doesn't really benefit at all from higher frames and I enjoyed having the better visuals for the environments.

Hoddi

I don't like upscaling artifacts so I'm sticking with my old 1080p plasma for now. It gives me the best of both worlds on PS5 and means that my Series S games don't look too bad.

Hunnybun

Always 60fps. The only time I've ever really been tempted otherwise is with R&C 40fps mode, because you get most of the clarity from 60fps without sacrificing anything. It's a fairly tough decision in that game. In the end, though, after extensive switching back and forth, I still prefer the look of performance RT mode at roughly 1440p60.

In my setup, sitting about 7ft away from a 65" screen, the choice basically came down to a small amount of sharpness or a rather larger amount of fluidity. For me, the extra frames look better.

Other games it's been much less of an issue.

Demon's Souls I can barely tell the difference in resolution, so obviously 60fps.

Miles Morales looks TERRIBLE at 30fps, it's like a fucking slideshow, so it's a choice between resolution and RT. I can't tell much difference in clarity, really, so even though the RT doesn't do much for me, I go with it.

Spider-Man Remastered, weirdly, is the opposite. RT mode looks a bit soft and the image quality is a bit dodgy, lots of flickering etc. So I just go with Performance on that one.

The new Uncharted collection, again 60fps. There's a small improvement in clarity with 4k30 but nowhere remotely enough to make it worth dropping 60fps.

Doom Eternal I went with the full 4k mode. That's the one game I've found where native 4k looks dramatically better. I can't tell the difference between with 120fps so that's a non-starter, and the RT mode doesn't even look better to me, just different. And that's before the drop in res.

I find it a bit weird that people sacrifice 60fps, with its transformative increase in fidelity in motion, just for a little bit of sharpness. Unless they're sitting REALLY close to their screens, I suppose. But from any kind of normal distance it just seems like a really minor difference.

However, it's even stranger to choose RT imo. It's such a minor detail, and most of the time people wouldn't even be able to tell it apart from other techniques. I'm a big fan of it in Metro when it's actually been designed around it, but otherwise it's little more than a gimmick.

ByWatterson

Depends on the game, but normally performance, or Performance RT if it's Insomniac.

But there are exceptions - Forza Horizon 5 is beautiful and engrossing at 30.

MikeM

60fps. I find 30fps looks like hot garbage on my X900H. It was handled far better on my previous VT50 plasma. Hence my love for 60fps and will always choose it over the smeery grossness of 30fps.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
kRcW0I3.gif

Justin9mm

I've been gaming for over 30 years, I grew up mainly playing on PC but had at least 1 console at a time. When 4K TV's came along and the PS4 Pro was released, I found myself ditching the PC as my main platform. I got used to 30fps because I wanted those high res visuals. Fast forward to now and I'm favouring 60fps over resolution now that we have the choice in most current games but if it's 1080p / 60, it would depend on the game as 1080p on a 4K TV generally looks like shit. Especially when you come off of a 4K game.

1440p / 60 on console is where it's at for gaming on 4K TV! It's such a good balanced compromise. I'm very disappointed that Dying Light 2 is 1080p/60, current gen should be able to do 1440p/60 and so I think it comes down to the talent of the dev..

Last edited:
Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep;

May the angels watch me through the night,

and keep me in their blessed 60 FPS MOTHER FUCKERS

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Miles Morales looks TERRIBLE at 30fps,

However, it's even stranger to choose RT imo. It's such a minor detail,
These are the type of statements that irritate the fuck out of me. Like what?

Every game looks better at 30. That’s the point.

Miles literally looks significantly better at 30 fps. The ray tracing effects and extra detail make the world of difference. Especially indoors and at night.

leo-j

What insomniac does with 60fps+RT while still either being full HD or slightly above is nuts. I prefer the 4K with ray tracing at 30FPS tho. The visuals are significantly sharper.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For any of you who didn't like Fallout 4 or Skyrim (at up to 30 fps) on last gen consoles, boot it up again and try it at 60 fps on new consoles. You don't even have download any 4k or high res texture mods. Just let the system brute force 60 fps.

If that difference alone doesn't make you want to play RPGs at 60 fps going forward, nothing will.

Last edited:

Vick

No question, even on Consoles now it's 60fps, always.
When games look as good as Demon's Souls or Insomniac games in Performance RT mode, i don't really see any other choice. And that's probably because i play on a Kuro, so Performance Mode is also often supersampled as well and looks utterly mindblowing on 60hz plasmas.

Hopefully Forbidden West won't see a major downgrade in this Mode because that's what i'm going to play.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That’s why the choice sucks and it shouldn’t be there. It feels like you are sacrificing something. I want to just launch the game and play the best possible developer intended way. Or at least make there to be 2 modes max. Maybe with optional fps unlock… but then Inwould need fps counter. Generally watching digital foundry is now a must to decide because you often don’t know what res and fps and features which mode is.
Now I start a game, have to discover what different modes mean and do and then quickly get boomed out that different modes exist just to show me how good the rt and how good the game could look if I didn’t choose 60fps.
It’s a bad choice that makes the user see the loss. I would prefer there to be less modes or none at all and developer just perfecting the game as is.
And F off with “go play on pc” answered. I have a 3080 pc that was like 3k… I know that. But consoles were always comfort zone for me. I don’t like having too much options.

The consoles are like 5x faster than last gen but it feels like I am missing out on more.
And those just fine with raw 1080p must not play with 4k for years… it looks like shit without any up scaling technique.

Anyway - I remember that uc4 looked amazing and not that it ran 30. So I will choose either res or graphics modes.

Last edited:

Rykan

These are the type of statements that irritate the fuck out of me. Like what?

Every game looks better at 30. That’s the point.

Miles literally looks significantly better at 30 fps. The ray tracing effects and extra detail make the world of difference. Especially indoors and at night.
Because he's right. Yes it looks better if you're just taking a screenshot, but the increase in framerate boosts the fluidity of every movement significantly and it also reduces the amount of motion blur required when moving the camera. Every 30 fps game looks terrible as soon as you turn the camera and the entire game becomes a blur.

As for the op, my priority is as follows:
1: 60 FPS
2: Resolution
3: Ray tracing.

Don't understand all the hype around ray tracing. Okay so reflections and lighting looks better. Great. I'd much rather have an overall clear imagine.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Give me all the bells and whistles at 30fps.
But if the difference is just resolution (for example, Demon's Souls) or barely noticeable, then I go with 60fps.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That’s why the choice sucks and it shouldn’t be there. It feels like you are sacrificing something. I want to just launch the game and play the best possible developer intended way. Or at least make there to be 2 modes max. Maybe with optional fps unlock… but then Inwould need fps counter. Generally watching digital foundry is now a must to decide because you often don’t know what res and fps and features which mode is.
Now I start a game, have to discover what different modes mean and do and then quickly get boomed out that different modes exist just to show me how good the rt and how good the game could look if I didn’t choose 60fps.
It’s a bad choice that makes the user see the loss. I would prefer there to be less modes or none at all and developer just perfecting the game as is.
And F off with “go play on pc” answered. I have a 3080 pc that was like 3k… I know that. But consoles were always comfort zone for me. I don’t like having too much options.

The consoles are like 5x faster than last gen but it feels like I am missing out on more.
And those just fine with raw 1080p must not play with 4k for years… it looks like shit without any up scaling technique.

Anyway - I remember that uc4 looked amazing and not that it ran 30. So I will choose either res or graphics modes.

I agree with this, but like myself, you are contradicting yourself in way. You and I both seem to gravitate to quality mode, but if they went back to one mode only we might get stuck on every single game with worse graphics in exchange for frame rate. I hear you though......I agonize on every stupid game to pick which mode, lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree with this, but like myself, you are contradicting yourself in way. You and I both seem to gravitate to quality mode, but if they went back to one mode only we might get stuck on every single game with worse graphics in exchange for frame rate. I hear you though......I agonize on every stupid game to pick which mode, lol.
It's a contradicting feeling for sure.
For those wanting choice, there is a pc. Console is a comfort food. Now I have weirdly named choices, none of which is satisfactory, leaves me with feeling of loss.
And I have to watch DF videos because there is no rtss, frame limiters or any tools on console to help me make my choice like on pc. WE need the tools because of many modes... but I dont want either modes or tools :p

Arun1910

I dont want a choice, and would prefer if the devs just tailored the experience for me. If i wanted to fuck around with settings and choose what i want to sacrafice, id build a pc.

Side note, i dont understand why 60 fps dying light two is locked at 1080p for 60fps? Did techland just optimize it poorly?
There's literally 2 or 3 choices in games. If that's too hard for you I have no idea how you play games.

They're mostly always the same too lol. 4k 30 or a lower resolution 60fps.

@OP 60fps all day. I have a PC too and playing games on PS5 at 30fps is a no go, plays like shit. I'd rather have more frames that will enhance my experience than have something look nice and play like a sideshow.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ray tracing is absolutely not ready for this generation of consoles, due to AMD being so shit with it.

I hope intel kill it with their GPUs to add some much needed competition.

i will always take performance mode but I genuinely expected and do expect these consoles to be able to push 1440p at 60fps. If not then what a poor showing these consoles are in reality.

Kerotan

I'm playing guardians of the galaxy with resolution and Ray tracing prioritised. 30fps. A rare case where I do this.

Top Bottom