• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

dcSPKur.png

PURPOSE OF THE THREAD

To help inform each other of the best ways to experience their discs, discuss the best and worst releases, share upcoming release info, to post recommendations, setups, and our latest pick ups and discs collections. This thread is a work in progress and will be updated as the community adds suggestions.

THE FORMATS

The oldest of the formats, DVD (Digital Video Disc), support up to 480i/p NTSC 576i/p PAL resolution, and Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 lossy audio. They were first offered in 1996 in Japan, and 1997 in other countries. Discs are usually 4.7 GB single-layer or 8.5 GB dual-layer discs, though they may go higher in some cases. After 20 years, this format still remains popular, and is still often sold separately, but are now also usually offered in bundles with Blu-rays for a few dollars more.

Blu-ray discs first arrived on the scene in 2006. These are usually 25 GB single-layer or 50 GB dual-layer discs. They offer stunning 1080p video and 5.1/7.1 lossless audio in PCM, Dolby True HD, and DTS HD Master Audio formats. Some older Blu-rays may use lossy Dolby Digital or DTS formats, and these are also what most alternate audio tracks are stored in. More recently, the Dolby Atmos and DTS X formats have made an appearance on newer releases, and contain height info for audio to further enhance the experience on compatible home theater audio systems. If Dolby Atmos/DTS X are not detected, then the audio will play as Dolby True HD/DTS HD tracks instead. Blu-rays are often bundled with DVD and digital download codes, and more recently, they are also included with most (if not all) 4K UHD releases.

4K Ultra HD Blu-rays are the latest and greatest in home video releases. They offer true 4K* video with High-Dynamic-Range (HDR) for enhanced colors, brightness, and resolution. Discs are usually stored in 50 GB dual-layer to 100 GB triple-layer discs. They offer the same great lossless audio options as regular Blu-ray discs. They will usually come bundled with regular 1080p Blu-rays and digital download codes. *Some 4K discs may be mastered from a 2K source and upscaled to 4K, though HDR is said to make a bigger difference overall.

HOW TO GET THE BEST PICTURE AND AUDIO

Calibrating your TV is an important step to getting the best possible picture quality out of your discs and players. It is recommended to turn off any post-process "enhancements" (noise reduction, auto contrast, motion interpolation, etc.) first. This will get you get the raw, unaltered intended image (and if you're playing video games, it'll also reduce input lag along with getting better picture). Sharpness should be turned down some for the best picture, and depending on the TV set, might have to be turned down completely.
If you're using a 4K TV, it is recommended to get one with proper HDR support for the best image quality. Recommendations will be added over time as the thread progresses.

For audio, it is recommended to use at least a 5.1 or greater home theater system with HDMI inputs and support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Recommendations will be added over time as the thread progresses.

RECOMMENDED PLAYERS

-Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player: Amazon, Best Buy
-OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player: Amazon
-Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player: Amazon, Best Buy

SUGGESTED LINKS

-Blu-ray.com: Tons of reviews and news for 4K and regular Blu-ray releases.
-High Def Digest: Another site for news and reviews.
-AVSForum.com
-AVForums
-caps-a-holic.com: Compares screenshots of different releases.
-The Digital Theater: Contains many audio demos (and high bitrate movie trailers with 5.1 audio) to test your equipment
-Demo World: Lots of audio demos to test your equipment
-The I bought the DVD/Blu-ray/4k disc and don't want the digital code give away |OT|: Don't want your digital code? Give it away to the NeoGAF community!
-Real or Fake 4K: Lists movies mastered in 4K and movies that are upscaled. (Please read these posts by Beer Monkey and Dpp1978 before using, as well as the quoted post below from Beer Monkey)

v9TZZPf.jpg

WATCH THE VIDEOS FIRST.

Seriously, everyone who works in film, or imaging science, or display engineering, or who even remotely considers themselves a home theater nerd (aka thread members) need to watch the videos as it will help your understanding as to where what you watch came from and what pixel count versus real resolution is.

Also there is an American Cinematographer article about it here.

http://yedlin.net/ResDemo/

Direct download of video 1
Direct download of video 2

Warning: Around 2GB each. Watch on your best display device if you can. Doesn't need to be 4K because the cinematographer breaks it all down by zooming into details in part 2. Super impatient or ADHD? Skip straight to part 2.

And welcome. :)
For the OP.

A database of UHD Blu-rays that redeem the digital code as UHD along with any specifics on how or where to redeem them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsJkCX4DIv2oeCKQ7zp2ArkR1qKEXCUuCMBbUtHtmh4/htmlview

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I bought a Pro and a Samsung KS8000 last year so no 4k blurays for me. But I am always tempted to trade in my X1 and get a Slim. The only thing stopping me is the $65 trade in value for the X1 and high cost of 4k blurays.

So my question is, when is redbox going to start renting out 4k blurays? I have seen some family stores rent out 4k blurays but they are too far away.

Another thing I just realized and its probably not common knowledge but nearly every 4k bluray has HDR support. Thats not true for 4k movies on streaming websites like Prime and Netflix. Just an FYI

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
cool thread.

I've bought a bunch of 4k blu-rays, but have no player yet, still use the 1080p blu-ray. I've got my bonus room wired for 11.1 dobly atmos, essentially just waiting on a proper 4k projector to start the process or putting it all together.

also waiting on 4k blu-ray to be cracked, as I love ripping my blu-rays and putting them in my Kodi library. I would rather not go back to having to put an actual disc in a player, thats like a babies toy!

J_Viper

Great thread OP!

My ma got a decent deal on a 4k display model at Best Buy, so I'll be jumping in with Kong and Ghost in the Shell once I get back home.

Apparently, the Raimi Spider-Man flicks are hitting 4K soon, can't wait to see what those look like.

Someone smarter than me is going to have to write-up the difference between real 4k and fake 4k for the OP. It's essential.

Someone smarter than me is going to have to write-up the difference between real 4k and fake 4k for the OP. It's essential.

Yeah, that'd be great. I don't have a 4K TV, player, or any 4K Blu-rays yet, so it'd really be helpful.

I do know that a lot of 4K Blu-rays are upscaled from 2K sources and not truly 4K. I have heard that HDR probably makes a bigger difference in the end, though.

Yeah, that'd be great. I don't have a 4K TV, player, or any 4K Blu-rays yet, so it'd really be helpful.

I do know that a lot of 4K Blu-rays are upscaled from 2K sources and not truly 4K. I have heard that HDR probably makes a bigger difference in the end, though.

i think that's basically the difference between fake 4k and real 4k unless i'm missing something

Nerdkiller

Membeur
NICE! Just today I got Belladonna of Sadness, Robot and Frank, and The Master.

I've only got a few 4K discs (only ID4 and the three Ghostbusters movies, if I remember), though, even though I have yet to get a 4K telly or player.

Decado

Pains me that the ps4 pro doesn't have 4k Blu-ray. I have no need for a One so I'm not sure what to do for 4k playback. Been thinking about my home theatre setup as I'll likely get a Sony 65X900E in the next month or so.

i think that's basically the difference between fake 4k and real 4k unless i'm missing something

I think it can get complicated. You can have stuff shot on a RED camera but the effects are done in 2k. A lot of stuff shot on 35 mm film can be scanned and mastered in 4k, I believe. Stuff that was shot digital depends on the camera/effects etc.

Like I said, someone more knowledgeable than me could definitely add more.

Take it from a veteran: https://youtu.be/hkpKHJxsTpQ?t=1403 23:25 - 25:10.

As for streaming 4K, Netflix and others can say 4K all they want but their bit rate is blu-ray tier, and that's being kind (18Mbps).

I was really surprised at the quality of Amazon's 4k. American Gods looked fantastic on my X900E. What's their bit rate?

JdFoX187

Banned
Awesome thread idea, OP. I'm subscribing.

I jumped on the 4K UHD blu-ray bandwagon fairly early. Our collection is around 68 or so. Probably have more than 700 blu-rays, at this point. I bought the Samsung K8500 because, at the time, the Xbox One S didn't have Atmos or DTS X capabilities. It's a great player, even though I'll have to turn around and buy a new one next year that has Dolby Vision capabilities, unless the Xbox One X receives a firmware update.

Magnus

Subbin'. No 4K player yet, but we have a Samsung 4KTV and love the various 4K-supported apps like YouTube and Netflix with the content coming in on those.

Blurays still look beautiful on this beast.

I bought a Pro and a Samsung KS8000 last year so no 4k blurays for me. But I am always tempted to trade in my X1 and get a Slim. The only thing stopping me is the $65 trade in value for the X1 and high cost of 4k blurays.

So my question is, when is redbox going to start renting out 4k blurays? I have seen some family stores rent out 4k blurays but they are too far away.

Another thing I just realized and its probably not common knowledge but nearly every 4k bluray has HDR support. Thats not true for 4k movies on streaming websites like Prime and Netflix. Just an FYI

Buy the 4k disc, and sell the digital code and bluray disc. They aren't that much more expensive. Maybe $10 more.

vladbkp

Neo Member
Great thread idea. Subscribed. Hoping to pick up an XBox One S on Black Friday on the cheap, but I may not be able to hold out that long.

Subbed! I use my Xbox One S as my 4k disc player and the stuff looks good to me but I wonder how much better it would be if I got a nice dedicated player. I have a Samsung KS8000 and while I never got it professionally calibrated I did use rtings.com's settings and it looks solid.

I noticed that Google Play had 4k movies for sale. I'm not sure what the quality is of their service. I got a digital copy of LIFE for free due to my TV purchase. It was good but nothing outstanding. It might not have been the best showcase film though.

If you're interested in the back end (cameras and digital workflow), I highly recommend watching Steve Yedlin's (The Last Jedi cinematographer) resolution demos.

He shoots identical shots on Alexa65 (6K), AlexaXT (3K), Arri 435 (Super 35 film scanned at 6K), Sony F55 (4K), IMAX 70MM (scanned at 11K), Red Weapon (6K). He also gets into workflow and algorithms.

The results may surprise you. If you tried to guess the order of which footage has the most to least actual resolution (not pixel count) you may be surprised.

Make sure and watch the second one where he breaks it down.

It really helps understand the difference between pixel count and resolution. Don't get too caught up on numbers.

FYI Wonder Woman was shot on Super 35 film and finished in 2K digital. Does that make it fake 4K? Maybe, but it might still look a lot better than the standard BD. Of course, with every new format there are always studio fuckups (remember the 'shiny' Total Recall) so some 4K discs will probably be a shit show. I wait for reviews before buying.

Melon Husk

If you're interested in the back end (cameras and digital workflow), I highly recommend watching Steve Yedlin's (The Last Jedi cinematographer) resolution demos.

He shoots identical shots on Alexa65 (6K), AlexaXT (3K), Arri 435 (Super 35 film scanned at 6K), Sony F55 (4K), IMAX 70MM (scanned at 11K), Red Weapon (6K). He also gets into workflow and algorithms.

The results may surprise you. If you tried to guess the order of which footage has the most to least actual resolution (not pixel count) you may be surprised.

Make sure and watch the second one where he breaks it down.

It really helps understand the difference between pixel count and resolution. Don't get too caught up on numbers.

FYI Wonder Woman was shot on Super 35 film and finished in 2K digital. Does that make it fake 4K? Maybe, but it might still look a lot better than the standard BD. Of course, with every new format there are always studio fuckups (remember the 'shiny' Total Recall) so some 4K discs will probably be a shit show. I wait for reviews before buying.
Wow, these are awesome. FY('all)I these vids are 1.8 GB and 2.2GB in size.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pro tip:

If you want to make sure HDR is working search for "HDR" on Netflix and watch the short film "sparks" - if you're not blown away by the color detail on the welder's metal belt hook, your setup is wrong or you're dead inside.

Use an Xbox One S and 75" Sony 850D in the living room. Managed to get the upward firing Atmos speakers added at Xmas last year. I am officially spoiled on a/v quality, now.

Have a number of discs already. The Netflix streams are nice, but the bitrate does indeed hinder it a little bit from what it could truly be. The HDR is a bigger deal, to me, though.

I know it's crazy because it wasn't a popular movie, but the most recent Ghostbusters is a pretty damned fantastic demo disc for 4k+HDR. Everything is super sharp and the movie has a lot of great color to it, but you still get a ton more detail out of clothing and skin tones with it. I can only assume the impending Guardians 2 4k disc will be even more so.

EDIT: forgot that I have GITS, as well. I'm sure that will be a feast for the eyes and ears, both.

I'm actually curious to see what happens with animated stuff (both traditional and CG) because Batman & Harley Quinn is getting a 4k disc later this month and I want/need to get a properly native 4k CG movie to try out. All of the ones I've had the potential to buy (Life of Pets, Sausage Party) were merely upscales of 2k masters.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Haven't jumped onto a 4k player yet, though I imagine I will at some point. I'm just hesitant as I have a $40 bluray player that's super easy to use for the kids to watch their videos, and I don't trust they won't mangle a $300 4k player.

The PS Pro and KS8000 are doing wonders with streamed content and gaming though.

Anth0ny

This took way too long to make.

I'm planning on finally going all in with a home theatre set up during this "4K Generation". Call me picky but even blu rays didn't look super great to me when blown up to a large screen. 4K is that sweet spot, I think.

Any steelbook collectors here on GAF? I have... too many. Wonder Woman 4K and GOTG2 4K currently on pre-order.

I bought a PS4 Pro (decided to upgrade from a standard PS4) and a 4K TV at the same time (XBR800D 43"). I spent some time researching 4k Bluray players. My basic conclusion was either: pay $200 or more / buy something cheaper that will crap out in 6 months.

Further investigation seemed to put the Xbox One S 4K Bluray player in the $200 category.

While I had been unable to justify buying an XB1 S on the merits of its exclusives, it did pass muster as a 4k bluray player coupled with the 360 backwards compatibility and the couple of console exclusives...not to be confused with full exclusives (along with a $50 discount on top of the mark down it got when the X was announced).

rothgar

I want a 4K projector. I don't want to pay $5K+ so I just started research on this whole pixel-shift technology. My man cave is no where ready, so if I wait another year maybe prices will come down on native 4K projectors.

This took way too long to make.

I'm planning on finally going all in with a home theatre set up during this "4K Generation". Call me picky but even blu rays didn't look super great to me when blown up to a large screen. 4K is that sweet spot, I think.

Any steelbook collectors here on GAF? I have... too many. Wonder Woman 4K and GOTG2 4K currently on pre-order.

If it's an option and available I tend to buy the steelbook. I am not a collector of them by any means.

Anth0ny

If it's an option and available I tend to buy the steelbook. I am not a collector of them by any means.

I buy steelbooks strictly on this basis:

"Does the cover look cool?"

For Disney movies especially, the covers tend to be a fucking nightmare of photoshopped images. Steelbooks look a lot classier 99% of the time, so they make up most of my Marvel/Disney collection.

I have 2 4K movies, Dredd and Lucy with an Xbox One S.

55" Vizio e55 with HDR10...how much am I missing out on using the Vizio tv? Is the TV that bad?

I have 2 4K movies, Dredd and Lucy with an Xbox One S.

55" Vizio e55 with HDR10...how much am I missing out on using the Vizio tv? Is the TV that bad?

Lucy is supposedly a phenomenal 4k. I haven't seen it myself.

I had a mixed experience with GITS. The quality during night time scenes wasn't that great. I did like the film though.

Dave_6

Nice thread! My Oppo 203 and 65" LG B6 are anxiously awaiting the GotG2 UHD in two weeks.

^Lucy looks spectacular! Not the best film but wow it looks stunning.

Lucy is supposedly a phenomenal 4k. I haven't seen it myself.

I had a mixed experience with GITS. The quality during night time scenes wasn't that great. I did like the film though.

GITS will probably be my next 4k bluray purchase. Lucy looks great, has a couple of night time shots that look awesome.

Quiestion..if the Xbox "upconverts" blurays to 4k, and my TV says it upconverts to 4k...which one is doing the work?

Kyoufu

Great thread OP!

My ma got a decent deal on a 4k display model at Best Buy, so I'll be jumping in with Kong and Ghost in the Shell once I get back home.

Apparently, the Raimi Spider-Man flicks are hitting 4K soon, can't wait to see what those look like.

Curious to hear impressions of Ghost in the Shell. A film that gorgeous must look incredible in 4K HDR.

Big Blue

Cool thread. I don't think I'll ever convert to 4k Blu until I don't have a choice. And yes, I have seen HDR on Blu and still don't it's worth upgrading my equipment.

I am. I tend to only buy them for movies I was planning on getting anyway, though. That or for ones that I have a semi-mild interest in and the price is okay. I have all of the DCAU ones that have come out sans the Wonder Woman re-release and most of the Marvel ones from Cap2/Thor2 on. I didn't start collecting until later.

GITS will probably be my next 4k bluray purchase. Lucy looks great, has a couple of night time shots that look awesome.

Quiestion..if the Xbox "upconverts" blurays to 4k, and my TV says it upconverts to 4k...which one is doing the work?

If the Xbox is sending a 4K signal to your TV, then the Xbox is handling ti for you. The scaler in it is pretty good, so at least everything should stay uniform regarding a/v sync.

cr0w

Old Member
I picked up a Samsung UBD-m8500 last week and grabbed a few discs. I already had BvS, which looks phenomenal in 4k/HDR, and to go along with it I grabbed Man of Steel, The Revenant, Warcraft and Labyrinth. I also ordered the Dawn of the Dead 4k set from Italy, which features the Euro cut in 4k.

So far I have to say I'm most impressed with The Revenant, it's possibly the disc I'd put in first if I was demoing 4k to someone. Dawn of the Dead looks REALLY good too for its age. In some ways I think 4k actually hurts Warcraft, as it seems to magnify the disparity between CGI and practical.

Really looking forward to the Bram Stoker's Dracula 4k release this October.

squallheart

Great thread! I slots have a Samsung 4k blu ray player first gen and Samsung 4k ks8500 i believe. Receiver is a denon 7.1 but no atmos support. I usually go to realorfake4k website to get details on the releases.

I just picked up mad max and arrival on uhd yesterday. Mad max had a really grainy look which im not sure is on purpose or my set up causing it. Only movie ive noticed it in yet. The hdr however looked great, fire especially popped so much.

Top Bottom