• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

JdFoX187

Banned
Surprisingly, the best 4K UHD showcase I've seen is Power Rangers. That movie is just so crisp and the third act is amazing. Pacific Rim also looks really good -- especially the Hong Kong battle.

Call me picky but even blu rays didn't look super great to me when blown up to a large screen

I'm gonna call you picky - the difference between 1080p BD and 2k DCP isn't all that big (in some cases its negligible at worst), and considering most home theater screens are decidedly smaller than even the smallest house at a multiplex, so long as you're working with a good projector (which you can get for SHOCKINGLY low prices) the image you get from a well transferred blu-ray should be flat-out amazing, and in many cases (depending on the projection at your local theater) comparable, if not outright better in terms of contrast/color.

And yeah, a whole lot of 4K UHD films are going to be 2K upscales because a whole lot of films in the last 20-30 years have been finished at 2K res.

But as has been pointed out already, the real benefit of UHD isn't even the resolution bump, but the dynamic range increase.

I'll be riding out BD until it craters, and by then my 1080p Sony Projector will probably be due for that upgrade, and that's when I'll likely jump on the 4k train. Just depends on how long (or short) that timeline runs.

Star Trek into darkness IMAX shots look phenomenal.

edit: this thread is nice but i use all of my 4k info at this place - AVS FORUM

just a sample of what this guy does! i thank him very much!!! (dolby vision is the hdr format whereVUDU next to the movies, so this copy/pasta isnt showing the whole picture of what info he has gathered)
I've added a red * in front of movies i find to be reference, in either resolution, HDR, or BOTH. These movies IMO are a great starting point in building a 4k UHD collection!! These are my personal PQ favorites!

Dolby Vision (with HDR10 as base layer)

- Resident Evil: Vendetta Dolby Atmos[/B]
- Despicable Me 1 DTS:X
- Despicable me 2 DTS:X
-* - Fate of the Furious DTS:X
- Power Rangers Dolby Atmos[/B]

HDR10 ONLY

- The Boss Baby Dolby Atmos[/B]
- Smurfs: The Lost Village Dolby Atmos[/B]
-*Kong: Skull Island Dolby Atmos[/B]
- Ghost in the Shell Dolby Atmos[/B]
-*King Kong DTS:X
- The Amazing Spider-Man 1 Dolby Atmos[/B]
-* John Wick Chapter 2 Dolby Atmos[/B]
- Terminator: Genysys Dolby Atmos[/B]
- The 5th Element Dolby Atmos[/B]
- Leon the Professional Dolby Atmos[/B]
- Your Name (Japenese Anime)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Lego Batman Movie Dolby Atmos[/B]
- T2 Trainspotting
- Perfume: Story of a Murderer
- EX Machina DTS:X
- Dredd Dolby Atmos[/B]
- Snitch Dolby Atmos[/B]
- *Life Dolby Atmos[/B]
*- Logan (wolverine 3) Dolby Atmos
- Unforgiven
- 3:10 to Yuma
- Shin Godzilla
- Expendables 1 and 2 Dolby Atmos
- Iron Man 1, 2,
*- Iron Man 3
- * The Great Wall Dolby Atmos
- The Mummy, 1, 2, 3
- 50 Shades of Grey DTS:X
- 50 Shades Darker DTS:X
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage Dolby Atmos
- La La Land Dolby Atmos
- underworld: blood wars Dolby Atmos
*- Patroits Day DTS:X
*- Why Him
- Smurfs part 1
*- Assasins Creed Dolby Atmos
- Fast and Furious 6 DTS:X
*- Fast and Furious 7 DTS:X
* - Passengers Dolby Atmos
*- Planet Earth 2
*- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Dolby Atmos
- Sing
*-Allied
*- Hacksaw Ridge Dolby Atmos
- Trolls Dolby Atmos
*-- Billy Lynns Long Halftime Walk Dolby Atmos
*-John Wick Dolby Atmos
- Arrival
- Jack Reacher: Never go back Dolby Atmos VUDU
-Battleship DTS:X VUDU
-Keeping up with the Joneses
*-Inferno Dolby Atmos ULTRA
-Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky.
-Namibia - The Spirit of Wilderness 4K hdr
-Resident Evil: Afterlife Dolby Atmos
- The Birth of a Nation
- The Accountant VUDU
- The Girl on the Train DTS:X VUDU
- Deepwater Horizon Dolby Atmos
Underworld Dolby Atmos
Morgan
Storks VUDU
*Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Dolby Atmos
*The Magnificent 7 Dolby Atmos
*Sully Dolby Atmos
The Bourne Identity DTS:X VUDU
The Bourne Supremacy DTS:X VUDU
The Bourne Ultimatum DTS:X VUDU
The Bourne Legacy DTS:X VUDU
Suicide Squad Dolby Atmos VUDU
Wild Africa/Tiny Giants
I am Legend VUDU
Argo VUDU
The Town VUDU
Mechanic: Resurection Dolby Atmos VUDU
The Secret Life of Pets Dolby Atmos VUDU
War Dogs VUDU
Sausage Party Dolby Atmos VUDU
Star Trek Beyond Dolby Atmos
The Hunger Games Dolby Atmos
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Dolby Atmos
*Hunger Games: mockingjay part 1 Dolby Atmos
*Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2 Dolby Atmos
Goodfellas
The Divinci Code Dolby Atmos
Divinci Code: Angels and Demons Dolby Atmos
Independence Day: Resurgence Dolby Atmos
*Xmen: Apocalypse Dolby Atmos
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Dolby Atmos
Warcraft Dolby Atmos vudu
Jupiter Ascending
*The Great Gatsby vudu
Legend of Tarzan Dolby Atmos vudu
*Ghostbusters: Answer the Call 2016
Ice Age: collision course Dolby Atmos
Central Intelligence
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
*The Shallows Dolby Atmos
*Pacific Rim Dolby Atmos vudu
Everest Dolby Atmos vudu
Jupiter Ascending Dolby Atmos vudu
*The Great Gatsby
X-Men: 1st class
*Xmen: Apocalypse
Labyrinth Dolby Atmos
*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: out of the shadows Dolby Atmos
Now you see Me 2 Now you See Me Part 2 Dolby Atmos
Angry Birds (4k+3D)
Snowwhite and the Huntsman VUDU DTS:X
The Huntsman: Winter's War VUDU DTS:X
*Lucy Dolby Atmos VUDU
Oblivion (august 9th) Dolby Atmos VUDU
Lone Survivor DTS:X VUDU
Criminal
*Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut, rated R Dolby Atmos VUDU
*Man of Steel Dolby Atmos VUDU
Watchmen: Ultimate Cut (july 19th) VUDU
*Divergent Series: Allegiant Dolby Atmos
Divergent DTS:X
Divergent: Insurgent Dolby Atmos
*Eddie The Eagle Dolby Atmos
Star Trek (2009) june 14th Dolby Atmos
*Star Trek: Into Darkness IMAX edition (2013) june 14th Dolby Atmos
Ghostbusters 2 Dolby Atmos
Now you see me Dolby Atmos
Creed VUDU
Independence Day 20th Anniversary Edition DTS:X
Point Break VUDU
In the Heart Of the Sea Dolby Atmos VUDU
The Martian: Extended Cut Dolby Atmos
*Gods of Egypt DTS:X
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dolby Atmos
*Risen NEW Dolby Atmos
*Deadpool NEW Dolby Atmos
Joy
The 5th Wave Dolby Atmos
*The Revenant
Concussion Dolby Atmos ULTRA
*Expendables 3 Dolby Atmos
Enders Game Dolby Atmos
*Sicario Dolby Atmos
The Last Witch Hunter DTS:X
San Andreas Dolby Atmos VUDU
*Mad Max Dolby Atmos VUDU
The Lego Movie VUDU
Pan Dolby Atmos VUDU
Wild
The Maze Runner
Xmen: Days of future past
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
The Martian
*Life of Pi
*Kingsman: The Secret Service
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Hitman: Agent 47
Fantastic 4
The Peanuts Movie Dolby Atmos
The Amazing Spiderman 2 Dolby Atmos ULTRA
*Chappie Dolby Atmos ULTRA
Salt Dolby Atmos ULTRA
Pineapple Express Dolby Atmos ULTRA
*Smurfs 2 Dolby Atmos ULTRA
Hancock Dolby Atmos ULTRA

and ...

Which movies are coming from true 4K masters? NEW

Some of these movies are upscaled from 2k masters, some look good, some are average. For some lists that document the movies/shows from true 4k masters, check these out!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=270798

http://referencehometheater.com/ultr...ay-title-info/

http://realorfake4k.com/

Prayer hands jpg

J_Viper

Any steelbook collectors here on GAF? I have... too many. Wonder Woman 4K and GOTG2 4K currently on pre-order.

Right here

Bought the Kong and GiTS 4K steelbooks, both of which are gorgeous

The Homecoming steelbook is also on pre-order, because hot damn that cover is tasty

soundtest

Banned
My xbox one s stutters during every 4k movie i watch. I get at least one moment where the movie gets choppy for a couple of seconds and then gets back to normal. Anyone else getting this?

Is "Real 4K" meaning it was filmed at a res at or higher than 4k, and finished at 4k as well?

Also, I just dug around a little and it seems like the number of THEATRICAL projectors putting out a 4K image were, around 2014, less than 30%? I might be misreading that, but it seemed to be the case (Sony's was leading Texas Instruments by quite a bit at 4K capabilities, but I believe TI has more projectors in more theaters)

My xbox one s stutters during every 4k movie i watch. I get at least one moment where the movie gets choppy for a couple of seconds and then gets back to normal. Anyone else getting this?

Clean the drive maybe? I know on about 2 updates ago the system wasn't the best at loading some menus and such, but the blu-ray app is much much better than it used to be. That or you've got something on the system downloading/updating and its eating some cycles while you watch your movie.

Is "Real 4K" meaning it was filmed at a res at or higher than 4k, and finished at 4k as well?

Also, I just dug around a little and it seems like the number of THEATRICAL projectors putting out a 4K image were, around 2014, less than 30%? I might be misreading that, but it seemed to be the case (Sony's was leading Texas Instruments by quite a bit at 4K capabilities, but I believe TI has more projectors in more theaters)

Yeah. The site goes over it but Real 4k means it was shot at 4k+ or was scanned that way off film, whether any VFX were rendered at 2k or not. Fake is pretty much always upscaled.

Sad to see GOTG2 is on the fake list, though. :(

According to that site:

This is the real deal. Everything was digitally shot in 4K or the original 35/70mm film negative was scanned in 4K and all the mastering/editing was done in 4K. This is one of the few movies to have the VFX and post workflow completed in 4K. Check the information below to see if the studios have upgraded the video with HDR or added immersive Dolby Atmos or DTS:X audio tracks.

That's for Dunkirk. I have seen them refer to some as mixed if it was shot in 4k but the effects are 2k.

Kambing

Wish we could have a list of UHD HDR content indicating how it was graded (1000 nits vs 4000 nits)... very curious to see what the split is.

Saya

I just bought a 4k tv today. I'll be upgrading from a 10-year-old Samsung HD Ready 720p tv. I'm sure the difference will be amazing lol. I think I'll upgrade my Netflix account as well to start watching 4k content.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Noob question. For a basement, would you get a 4k TV or projector?

depends on how big you want to go. If dont want to go too big just get a tv. If you want to go 100" or bigger get a projector.

If it were me for a basement i would do a projector.

The problem is 4k projectors are very expensive right now.

glow

Banned
IIRC there were a handful of UHD Blu-rays put out early on in the cycle that didn't have HDR or at least didn't advertise it as a feature. I'm pretty sure it's the latter since I can't seem to find anything supporting the former.

There are a few UHD BDs that don't have HDR. One example from my collection is the German release of Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Westonian

I've always been a proponent and collector of physical media for movies, and I've always wanted the best quality available. This has led me from DVD to HD-DVD and Blu-ray and now to UHD 4K.

I thought about getting an Xbox Slim, but I'm just as picky about sound, and the limitations of the slim made it a no go. Instead I waited and bought the Oppo 203 as soon as it went on sale in late December 2016. I know a lot of people will balk at the price tag, but it is bar none the best UHD Blu-ray player on the planet.

My UHD collection isn't huge, but so far I own:

The Accountant
Arrival
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Ghost in the Shell
Ghostbusters (2016)
John Wick Chapter 2
Kong Skull Island
Logan
Lucy
Mad Max Fury Road
The Magnificent Seven
Pacific Rim
Planet Earth II
Star Trek Beyond
Warcraft
X-Men Apocalypse

The resolution boost is nice, but even on large screens it's usually not a huge difference (nowhere near the leap from DVD to Blu-ray). HDR is where UHD really shines.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
depends on how big you want to go. If dont want to go too big just get a tv. If you want to go 100" or bigger get a projector.

If it were me for a basement i would do a projector.

The problem is 4k projectors are very expensive right now.

Isn't Sony the only one with consumer 4K (native res) projectors currently? And yeah, they're all in the 5 figure range I think.

That's for Dunkirk. I have seen them refer to some as mixed if it was shot in 4k but the effects are 2k.

With most movies, if the effects are in 2k, the entire film is in 2k because of workflow. Shot with 4k cameras means nothing. Most movies with 2k effects are mastered to a 2k Digital Intermediate.

Of course, pixel counts are kind of dumb anyway (see the videos I posted earlier), as there's much more that affects actual spacial resolution of the finished film/video.

Realyst

Nice thread! My Oppo 203 and 65" LG B6 are anxiously awaiting the GotG2 UHD in two weeks.

^Lucy looks spectacular! Not the best film but wow it looks stunning.

High five! Same player, but have an E6. GotG2 will def be my next purchase. Will it have Dolby Vision or HDR10?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
High five! Same player, but have an E6. GotG2 will def be my next purchase. Will it have Dolby Vision or HDR10?

it's officially announced as HDR10 only on the disc, Disney couldn't get the Dolby Vision encode done in time for the disc.

VUDU has the Dolby Vision version.

Also the only GOTG2 version with the IMAX aspect ratio scenes presented in full frame is the 3D Blu-Ray.

Realyst

it's officially announced as HDR10 only on the disc, Disney couldn't get the Dolby Vision encode done in time for the disc.

VUDU has the Dolby Vision version.

Also the only GOTG2 version with the IMAX aspect ratio scenes presented in full frame is the 3D Blu-Ray.

That's a bummer, but thankfully I have the bandwidth to stream it.

Sucks that they aren't bundling 3D with the UHD. I can't justify double dipping on this movie. Terminator 2 is being done the same way.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
That's a bummer, but thankfully I have the bandwidth to stream it.

Sucks that they aren't bundling 3D with the UHD. I can't justify double dipping on this movie. Terminator 2 is being done the same way.

oh but they are (only at Best Buy) and if the digital code works with VUDU (it in theory should... thru Disney Movies Anywhere) - you then have the streaming 4k Dolby Vision version, the higher bitrate disc-based 4K HDR10 version, and the 3D 2K Version with the IMAX sequences...:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/guardia...u-ray-blu-ray-3d-2017/5904801.p?skuId=5904801

Mindwipe

HDR10 is mandatory yes.

No it isn't.

Fuck, it's not even mandatory for a UHD blu-ray to be in colour, for obvious reasons.

Nor is it mandatory for a UHD Blu-ray player to be capable of HDR output.

Literally the only thing that's mandatory is that the player has to be able to read an HDR stream of the appropriate format without crashing.

I have a 4K TV and just recently bought a XBox One S so thought I had better get a UHD Movie but I'll be damned if any of them available, in my Country at least, are films I want to watch. Must be a film snob I guess lol The films I would watch I have seen already. Luckily I have not seen the new Spiderman or Dunkirk so I suppose I had better wait until they come out. Wonder Woman too.

mcrommert

Banned
I'm gonna call you picky - the difference between 1080p BD and 2k DCP isn't all that big (in some cases its negligible at worst), and considering most home theater screens are decidedly smaller than even the smallest house at a multiplex, so long as you're working with a good projector (which you can get for SHOCKINGLY low prices) the image you get from a well transferred blu-ray should be flat-out amazing, and in many cases (depending on the projection at your local theater) comparable, if not outright better in terms of contrast/color.

And yeah, a whole lot of 4K UHD films are going to be 2K upscales because a whole lot of films in the last 20-30 years have been finished at 2K res.

But as has been pointed out already, the real benefit of UHD isn't even the resolution bump, but the dynamic range increase.

I'll be riding out BD until it craters, and by then my 1080p Sony Projector will probably be due for that upgrade, and that's when I'll likely jump on the 4k train. Just depends on how long (or short) that timeline runs.

And also many many movies were shot in a way that there isn't 4k of detail no matter what

I mean Stargate doesn't even have 1080p of detail most of the time

Kyoufu

No it isn't.

Fuck, it's not even mandatory for a UHD blu-ray to be in colour, for obvious reasons.

Nor is it mandatory for a UHD Blu-ray player to be capable of HDR output.

Literally the only thing that's mandatory is that the player has to be able to read an HDR stream of the appropriate format without crashing.

I stand corrected. I thought the BDA mandated HDR10 for UHD Blu Ray discs last year. I don't think I'd buy any UHD disc without HDR tbh.

Realyst

I stand corrected. I thought the BDA mandated HDR10 for UHD Blu Ray discs last year. I don't think I'd buy any UHD disc without HDR tbh.
Same here. Might as well buy the standard blu ray and upconvert to 4K. HDR makes all the difference.

Subbed.

I've held out on a new 4k tv and a new receiver for a while now. Waiting to see what next year sets bring if we get 2.1 or not.

cr0w

Old Member
Picked up GITS on the way home to watch tonight solely because I hear it's astounding visually. It helps that I don't care about the anime.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
The whole "real 4K" bit is a little silly.

The videos Beer Monkey posted earlier demonstrate why this is far better than any essay I could write. Seriously, if you have an hour and are interested in this, watch them. You will then be far better informed, with examples from professionals operating in real world situations rather than marketing wank.

The increase in spatial resolution is probably the least interesting aspect of the UHD format. Spatial resolution isn't overridingly important when assessing whether an image is pleasing. It comes after image brightness, contrast and colour. Of course all things being equal more resolution is always better, and there is a de minimis threshold for what is acceptably resolved. But once that threshold is broken the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

I remember about a decade ago there was a test done at a trade show. Two 50" screens were put side by side showing identical footage. One was a standard 1080p plasma the other was a KURO which was 720p. It was virtually unanimous that the KURO looked better despite being lower resolution. The KUROs were so good they were unrivalled until OLED TVs arrived.

Again all things being equal a 1080p KURO looks better than a 720p KURO. But in that test all things were not equal and resolution was not the decisive criterion marketing departments would have you believe.

More interesting are increases in colour depth (going from not quite 8 bit video to 10 or even 12 bit video is huge) colour gamut (more colours makes for better images) and HDR are much more important. The better compression and greater bandwidth allowances are much more important.

A 1080p image with at least 10 bit video and an improved colour gamut, HDR, improved compression and generous bandwidth on a TV which could properly display it would almost certainly perform as well against a 4K image without those things as the KURO did in the test I mentioned above.

That isn't to say a good 4K TV is a poor investment. They are, for the most part, brilliant TVs. Nor is it to say UHD Blu-rays will not outperform their non UHD cousins. They will. Handily. Even the 2K upscales. It's just that to put it all down to an, admittedly huge, increase in pixels is missing the woods for the trees.

It is a factor, an important one even. It just isn't the most important one. In the same way how many megapixels your camera's sensor has is not the most important factor in how well it takes pictures (operator notwithstanding).

But they are easy buzzwords that marketers can run with. And run with them they do.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
honestly the 4K discs I get most excited about are older films. Stuff that has only really been on DVD / VHS quality. Stuff where special effects were added back to the film negative. Where a 4K / HDR scan of old film can allow us to essentially see something very very close to what the theatrical presentation is like.

Obv some things like film grain are still really difficult with video compression, but overall, when you watch Labrynth or Ghostbusters on a 4K disc, it's the closest thing to seeing those old film versions which is really exciting.

The Blade Runner and Terminator re-releases are exciting for that reason to.

As others have mentioned, most of the 90s onward stuff is all 2K Digital Intermediates and/or 2K Digital effects, which will still benefit from high bitrate, 10-bit / HDR presentations, but won't be as big a leap over the BRD versions.

JdFoX187

Banned
Wait, Disney's 4K UHD digital copies will be UHD w/ Dolby Vision on VUDU? That'd be awesome. I quit redeeming most because they were just for the HDX copies, which was useless to me.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Wait, Disney's 4K UHD digital copies will be UHD w/ Dolby Vision on VUDU? That'd be awesome. I quit redeeming most because they were just for the HDX copies, which was useless to me.

well, it's unknown if they will redeem the UHD version on VUDU or not, folks are hoping that's the case but we won't know until the codes arrive

Dpp1978

Neo Member
honestly the 4K discs I get most excited about are older films. Stuff that has only really been on DVD / VHS quality. Stuff where special effects were added back to the film negative. Where a 4K / HDR scan of old film can allow us to essentially see something very very close to what the theatrical presentation is like.

Obv some things like film grain are still really difficult with video compression, but overall, when you watch Labrynth or Ghostbusters on a 4K disc, it's the closest thing to seeing those old film versions which is really exciting.

The Blade Runner and Terminator re-releases are exciting for that reason to.

As others have mentioned, most of the 90s onward stuff is all 2K Digital Intermediates and/or 2K Digital effects, which will still benefit from high bitrate, 10-bit / HDR presentations, but won't be as big a leap over the BRD versions.

In most cases, by most objective standards, it will be significantly better than the original theatrical presentation. But then again in most respects so is a well mastered Blu-ray.

A first generation scan of an original negative, even when downsampled to 8 bit 1080p video, will outperform a 4th generation release print. And this is from a self avowed fan of projected film.

Oozer3993

I have an LG OLED and a couple UHD discs, but no player for the moment. I'm holding out for the Xbox One X. I'm dying for Moana in HDR. Just announce it already Disney!

Tapejara

Great idea for a thread! The RealorFake4K site sounds like a great resource. I don't have a 4K set yet, but I was hoping to pick up the Unforgiven UHD release and I'm glad to see it in the "real" column!

Top Bottom