• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I hope you guys remember the rules...

SCREAM (25th anniversary edition)(4k ultra hd blu-ray) coming this October

Heat 4K UHD would be awesome. Any news?
Release for Heat hits the USA on 31-08-2021. I assume everywhere else will follow shortly.

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Did anyone get that Transformers animated movie 4k disc? How's it look?

Edit: it's not out yet. Thought it was.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They released it internationally where there isn't HBO Max.

No extras. Just the movie on 4K and Blu-Ray and no digital copy (need HBO Max for that).
Thanks, I thought for a second I got the wrong copy haha. I watched in streaming and then got the UHD Blu-Ray copy which I have yet to open.

Btw, the PS5 Blu-Ray drive is a lot less noisy when playing UHD Blu-Ray movies now. ANH looks so bloody good btw, you were super right. Funny thing? The Lucas additions look a bit blurrier than the rest of the footage, they stand out more IMHO :).

Last edited:

MilkLizard

Wow..really ?

I never had his problem ( watching movies on console ) with PS3 back then

What a let down

Does Xbox One have that issue too?
Never had an Xbox One so I don’t really know but I don’t think they have the same problem. But at least it should be an easy fix for the PS4. It can also happen with games btw, just a quirk of some units.

So I couldn’t wait for an American release of dawn of the dead 4k so ended up buying it on zavii,plus it was on sale now just watch next week someone will announce an American release just my luck.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jesus christ guys. I'm watching lotr in dolby vision on my new oled and it's like seeing it again for the first time. It didn't look this good in the theater.
I think HDR and the new remastered edition treatment did a wonderful job with it. Seeing some older movies with the benefits of modern OLED’s in HDR is a huge step up. It was eye opening for me how much better Ghostbusters looked in HDR (4K UHD) and using a game console means I am only getting HDR10 not DV or HDR10+ (which the TV would not support).

It would be cool if PS5/XSX could alter the tone mapping per frame dynamically like DV but still output an HDR10 stream for those without a DV TV or to support HDR10+ like dynamic HDR.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Is it just me or did the overall quality of movies drop since 4k hit the market. When BD came out (13 years ago?) there where killer releases of then new movies every other month (it fells like). Now there is just nothing hitting the cinemas/4k discs I would want to buy, now that I have a PS5 and 4K TV :'(

Not buying old movies a second or third time.

MilkLizard

Is it just me or did the overall quality of movies drop since 4k hit the market. When BD came out (13 years ago?) there where killer releases of then new movies every other month (it fells like). Now there is just nothing hitting the cinemas/4k discs I would want to buy, now that I have a PS5 and 4K TV :'(

I like to believe it has less to do with 4k discs and more with the dominance of streaming services. Buying physical movies is niche now. All the local places I used to buy my DVDs and Blu-Rays at do not exist anymore. Physical media in general are on their way out, whether we like it or not.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Some movies benefit so so much from the increased bitrate (compared to streaming services) and HDR to be worth watching… especially some older titles.

reksveks

Not sure the UHD version of Advent Children does it any favours, feels like it needed to be re-rendered and textures updated.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not sure the UHD version of Advent Children does it any favours, feels like it needed to be re-rendered and textures updated.
The hdr helps but you're correct. It was made during the height of dvd and rendered as such. The rerelease on blu ray added some scenes that were actually rendered in 1080p and you can tell the difference easily.

reksveks

The hdr helps but you're correct. It was made during the height of dvd and rendered as such. The rerelease on blu ray added some scenes that were actually rendered in 1080p and you can tell the difference easily.
That's why some scenes look very different in quality. Need to figure out which one I bought, I might have only watch the dvd but feel like I would have bought a blu-ray at some point. The final third is holding up alot better apart from the hair.

Zangiefy360

Banned
halloween-4k-1.png
halloween-4k-2.png
halloween-4k-3.png
halloween-4k-4.png
halloween-4k-5.png

Very exciting but not consumer friendly at all considering there's no box set for a more reasonable cost. I'll hang on to my BR set until they come around.

Last edited:

DapperSloth

The movie is a mash-up of 720p footage and 1080p footage upscaled to 4k. Dunno if I will double dip for this one.

It's funny when animated movies in the west are processed in 2K, but Japan just like "fuck it, 720p for CGI is just in that sweet spot" lol. Man that must look fucking blurry on a 4K OLED jesus christ.

Scream bows the Halloween films in 4K, plus our BIG Ultra HD catalog update for the rest of 2021 & remembering Richard Donner

First up, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is still on track to release Frank Darabont’s The Shawshank Redemption and Stanley Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange in September (the respective street dates are 9/14 and 9/21). Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity—which had been tentatively expected to arrive on 4K UHD in October—has now been delayed until sometime in 2022. Meanwhile, Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) are all due tentatively in 4K on 11/2.

Next up in 4K Ultra HD from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is M. Night Shyamalan’s Unbreakable in late September. That should be announced soon. The studio’s planned 4K UHD releases of Michael Mann’s Heat and the animated Who Framed Roger Rabbit are still coming, but those have shifted from their original street dates in August and October. It’s still possible that they could arrive in 2021, but they could also slip to early next year.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has already announced their Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection: Volume 2 set for release on 9/14, which will include Anatomy of a Murder, Oliver!, Taxi Driver, Stripes, Sense and Sensibility, and The Social Network. But additional 4K titles that the studio is considering for release here in the States this year are Looper, Drive, The Hurt Locker, and The Guns of Navarone. (Looper is already set for release in the UK on 7/12.) The studio is also still planning single-film SKUs of their remaining Volume 1 titles, including Lawrence of Arabia, Gandhi, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Jerry Maguire, and A League of Their Own. They have their updated Labyrinth: 35th Anniversary Edition coming on 4K on 8/17 as well.

For fans of StudioCanal, be aware that the company is working on a 4K Ultra HD release of Russell Mulcahy’s Highlander (1986).

Meanwhile, among the 4K titles that Arrow is preparing are Clive Barker’s Hellraiser (1987 – likely due in October) and Peter Jackson’s The Frighteners (1996 – tentatively expected in Q1 2022). When I say “among,” I mean it: The studio has hinted that they’re working on 6-7 different catalog UHD releases for the months ahead.

And finally, Paramount is expected to release Scream and The Addams Family on 4K Ultra HD on 10/12. (The latter will include a restored and full-length dance number.) But they’re also close to announcing the rumored and much-anticipated 4K Ultra HD release of the classic Star Trek catalog films, beginning with a 4-film box set of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home on 9/8 (which is the anniversary of the TV debut of Star Trek on NBC back in 1966). These will likely include Dolby Vision HDR and new Dolby Atmos sound mixes. Our sources indicate that Star Trek: The Motion Picture will be the original theatrical version for this first release. The rationale behind the box set seems to be that you have to start with the first film, and then films 2-4 form a coherent story trilogy. Two additional 4K sets may follow (one with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, and Star Trek: Generations—which concludes the story of the original cast—and another with Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection, and Star Trek: Nemesis—which concludes the TNG film saga). Last but not least, Paramount should finally deliver the long-awaited Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD upgrade of the Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Director’s Edition sometime in 2022. It’s likely that the studio will refresh their existing Blu-ray editions of these films with the new transfers at some point as well. We expect more on all of this to be revealed at Creation Entertainment’s The “55-Year Mission Tour” Star Trek Convention next month in Las Vegas (August 11-15 at the Rio).

Last edited:
Top Bottom