• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Star Trek set up on Amazon. Pre-ordered, but if Best Buy does a steelbook set I'll cancel.

It's only $70, which isn't bad after Indy was $10 more.

Aggelos

Or6J0vE.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Watched Scott Pilgrim today and was kinda disappointed. It was insanely dark. Thought I was nuts.

But for whatever reason my stand alone player that has Dolby Vision, the DV is crazy dark compared to the Standard HDR track.

Threw it in the Xbox Series X and it's a different movie.

Anyone experience this?

evanft

Quick tip: The best way to get Arrow releases is from Arrow UK during one of their sales, assuming you have a region B capable player.

Amory

Finally picked up the spiderman 4k trilogy yesterday.

UYHTF14701-3.jpg

Nice quality set. I've had my eye on it for a long time and seen it priced between $30 all the way to ~$65. Amazon has it for ~$43 now so I figured that was good enough, since I'm not sure if this is OOP or not.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not sure the UHD version of Advent Children does it any favours, feels like it needed to be re-rendered and textures updated.
I'm sure it was mentioned in the original Blu-ray release that Advent Children wasn't even up to par for 1080p and they had to upscale it

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Love this show, so for those that are interested
For the first time on Blu-ray Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary will be coming to Blu-ray on 10/19/21
$179.99, no information on other regions
They better not skip the UK
w4exqQL.jpg

Full Announcement below
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON BLU-RAY

SMALLVILLE: THE COMPLETE SERIES
20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Featuring All 218 Episodes from the Iconic Series

Flying into Homes on Blu-ray October 19, 2021

BURBANK, CA (July 27, 2021) – It’s been 20 years since Clark Kent first arrived in Kansas, and in honor of the 20th Anniversary of the remarkable series, Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition will soar onto Blu-ray for the first time ever from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on October 19, 2021. This set for the ultimate fan features all 218 episodes along with over 28 hours of bonus features from all 10 incredible seasons, plus Digital Copy (US Only). Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray is priced to own at $179.99 SRP ($209.99 in Canada) and will also be available on DVD for $154.99 SRP ($184.99 in Canada).

The groundbreaking, Emmy®-winning 10-season hit that redefined the origins of the world’s greatest super hero is all here – from Krypton refugee Kal-El’s arrival on Earth through his tumultuous teen years to Clark Kent’s final steps toward embracing his destiny as the Man of Steel. Relive a decade’s worth of thrills in fantastic adventures full of action, heart and humor in abundance, all anchored by the marvelous performance of Tom Welling at its center. Savor again the series’ thoughtful and imaginative integration and reinvention of the iconic characters of DC lore. And let your spirits be lifted up, up and away.

Starring Tom Welling as “Clark Kent,” Allison Mack as “Chloe Sullivan,” Kristin Kreuk as “Lana Lang,” Michael Rosenbaum as “Lex Luthor,” John Glover as “Lionel Luthor,” Erica Durance as “Lois Lane,” Annette O’Toole as “Martha Kent,” John Schneider as “Jonathan Kent,” Justin Hartley as “Oliver Queen,” Sam Jones III as “Pete Ross,” Cassidy Freeman as “Tess Mercer,” Aaron Ashmore as “Jimmy Olsen,” Eric Johnson as “Whitney Fordman,” Laura Vandervoort as “Kara,” Callum Blue as “Zod,” Jensen Ackles as “Jason Teague” and Sam Witwer as “Davis Bloome,” Smallville has also featured many notable guest stars including Terence Stamp, James Marsters, Michael McKean, Ian Somerhalder, Jane Seymour, Brian Austin Green, Pam Grier, Helen Slater, Michael Ironside, Julian Sands, Tori Spelling, Rutger Hauer and Christopher Reeve.

Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Based on DC Comics characters, Smallville was developed for television by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar. Its executive producers have included Michael Tollin, Brian Robbins, Joe Davola, Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, James Marshall, Brian Peterson, Kelly Souders, Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer, Greg Beeman, Ken Horton and Tom Welling. The series is from Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink and Warner Bros. Television.

Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition includes 2 DVD discs with over 28 hours of bonus features originally released on the Smallville Seasons 1-10 DVD sets.

MORE THAN 28 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES

The Adventures of Superboy – The original 1961 pilot starring John Rockwell.
A Retrospective Look at the Series’ 10-Year Journey – An in-depth, season-by-season look at the creation of this landmark television series. Highlights include interviews with Tom Welling, Eric Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, Phil Morris, John Schneider and many more, as well as rare behind-the-scenes footage.
A Decade of Comic-Con Featurette
Paley Festival Featurette
Smallville’s 100th Episode: Making of a Milestone – An extended version of the original featurette included in the Season 5 set.
Secret Origin: The American Story of DC Comics – A feature length documentary chronicling DC’s 75 years of challenges, creativity, and triumph.
Audio Commentaries, Deleted and Extended Scenes, Gag Reels, Behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more from all 10 seasons!

Last edited:

kunonabi

For the first time on Blu-ray Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary will be coming to Blu-ray on 10/19/21
w4exqQL.jpg

Full Announcement below

20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

BURBANK, CA (July 27, 2021) – It’s been 20 years since Clark Kent first arrived in Kansas, and in honor of the 20th Anniversary of the remarkable series, Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition will soar onto Blu-ray for the first time ever from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on October 19, 2021. This set for the ultimate fan features all 218 episodes along with over 28 hours of bonus features from all 10 incredible seasons, plus Digital Copy (US Only). Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray is priced to own at $179.99 SRP ($209.99 in Canada) and will also be available on DVD for $154.99 SRP ($184.99 in Canada).

The groundbreaking, Emmy®-winning 10-season hit that redefined the origins of the world’s greatest super hero is all here – from Krypton refugee Kal-El’s arrival on Earth through his tumultuous teen years to Clark Kent’s final steps toward embracing his destiny as the Man of Steel. Relive a decade’s worth of thrills in fantastic adventures full of action, heart and humor in abundance, all anchored by the marvelous performance of Tom Welling at its center. Savor again the series’ thoughtful and imaginative integration and reinvention of the iconic characters of DC lore. And let your spirits be lifted up, up and away.

Starring Tom Welling as “Clark Kent,” Allison Mack as “Chloe Sullivan,” Kristin Kreuk as “Lana Lang,” Michael Rosenbaum as “Lex Luthor,” John Glover as “Lionel Luthor,” Erica Durance as “Lois Lane,” Annette O’Toole as “Martha Kent,” John Schneider as “Jonathan Kent,” Justin Hartley as “Oliver Queen,” Sam Jones III as “Pete Ross,” Cassidy Freeman as “Tess Mercer,” Aaron Ashmore as “Jimmy Olsen,” Eric Johnson as “Whitney Fordman,” Laura Vandervoort as “Kara,” Callum Blue as “Zod,” Jensen Ackles as “Jason Teague” and Sam Witwer as “Davis Bloome,” Smallville has also featured many notable guest stars including Terence Stamp, James Marsters, Michael McKean, Ian Somerhalder, Jane Seymour, Brian Austin Green, Pam Grier, Helen Slater, Michael Ironside, Julian Sands, Tori Spelling, Rutger Hauer and Christopher Reeve.

Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Based on DC Comics characters, Smallville was developed for television by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar. Its executive producers have included Michael Tollin, Brian Robbins, Joe Davola, Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, James Marshall, Brian Peterson, Kelly Souders, Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer, Greg Beeman, Ken Horton and Tom Welling. The series is from Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink and Warner Bros. Television.

Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition includes 2 DVD discs with over 28 hours of bonus features originally released on the Smallville Seasons 1-10 DVD sets.

A Retrospective Look at the Series’ 10-Year Journey – An in-depth, season-by-season look at the creation of this landmark television series. Highlights include interviews with Tom Welling, Eric Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, Phil Morris, John Schneider and many more, as well as rare behind-the-scenes footage.
Smallville’s 100th Episode: Making of a Milestone – An extended version of the original featurette included in the Season 5 set.
Secret Origin: The American Story of DC Comics – A feature length documentary chronicling DC’s 75 years of challenges, creativity, and triumph.
Audio Commentaries, Deleted and Extended Scenes, Gag Reels, Behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more from all 10 seasons!

Yeah I'm super excited since the first 5 seasons were never on blu-ray.

• Strength
Reactions: TGO

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Will being picking up a lg c1 65inch next week and never seen any content in 4k or hdr yet what should I pick up
Ready Player One. To me, still the most impressive 4k HDR showpiece.

I dont have Dunkirk on bluray but I did watch the 4k stream on VUDU and its by far the most cleanest looking movie I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Will being picking up a lg c1 65inch next week and never seen any content in 4k or hdr yet what should I pick up
Not that impressive as hdr but first thing I watched with my cx is that new lord of the rings remaster. Helped that I hadn’t seen it since extended dvd

edit: other than that, streaming services have enough showcase content. Just buy blu-rays you actually want to watch as a movie

Last edited:
I love the thing, such a beautiful organism, seems similar to what I desire to build, only more powerful, able to withstand all, a living embodiment of the law. You do not need aliens for this, only an alien mind and alien code, from the computer it can be born.

Tron Legacy is an excellent film

As for future 4ks I'm looking for, I'll be buying the next gen matrix in steel book when it arrives.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Not that impressive as hdr but first thing I watched with my cx is that new lord of the rings remaster. Helped that I hadn’t seen it since extended dvd

edit: other than that, streaming services have enough showcase content. Just buy blu-rays you actually want to watch as a movie
Who has the best 4K hdr content in stream ?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
w4exqQL.jpg

Full Announcement below

20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

SOMEBODAY SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE ME.......from this cult I am going to go join.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TGO

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
How long will we keep getting UHD discs? I mean the sales must be really low, I don't know anybody who buys them.
For a long ass time. They cost next to nothing to make and can be sold for 1000% profit.
+ With the way streaming goes , Amazon forcing ads bevor playing content etc.. who knows when it’s going to be a better experience to go back to buying stuff.

kunonabi

If you're looking for showpiece stuff I'd point to Blade Runner and the first Pacific Rim. But honestly most older movies shot on film are usually the most impressive.

Release date: 26/11/2018

NVaqnk6.jpg

This 4 disc limited Collector’s Edition of John Carpenter’s classic Escape from New York has been stunningly restored in 4K. This release is beautifully packaged with a stylish, newly commissioned illustration on the cover. It contains a UHD of the feature as well as a Blu-ray feature disc, extra features disc and the original soundtrack on CD. It also contains 5 artcards, a newly illustrated theatrical poster and booklet containing behind the scenes stills, articles and an essay from celebrated film journalist Kim Newman.

The year is 1997 and in a police state future the island of Manhattan has been turned into a maximum security prison. The rules are simple: once you’re in, you don’t come out. But when the President of the United States (Donald Pleasence) crash lands an escape pod into the centre of the city after fleeing a hijacked plane, a ruthless prison warden (Lee Van Cleef) bribes ex-soldier and criminal Snake Plisskin into entering the hazardous Manhattan and rescuing the distraught president from the twisted world of New York and from the demented clutches of its new ruler The Duke (Isaac Hayes) in John Carpenter’s cyber-punk, action, suspense spectacular.

• 4 discs
  • (1 UHD, 1 Blu-ray feature, 1 Blu-ray extras, 1 CD Soundtrack)
  • 1 poster
  • 5 artcards
  • 48 page book
Extras:

• Purgatory: Entering John Carpenter’s ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK: A brand new feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Writer Nick Castle, cinematographer Dean Cundey, composer Alan Howarth, production designer Joe Alves, special visual effects artist/model maker Gene Rizzardi, production assistant David De Coteau, photographer Kim Gottleib-Walker, Carpenter biographer John Muir, visual effects historian Justin Humphreys, and music historian Daniel Schweiger.
  • Snake Plissen: Man of Honor – featurette from 2005 featuring interviews with John Carpenter and Debra Hill
  • Intro by John Carpenter - an interview with director John Carpenter originally recorded for a French DVD release in 2003
  • Deleted Opening Sequence “Snake’s Crime” with Optional Audio Commentary
  • Photo gallery incl. Behind the Scenes
  • Original Trailers
  • Audio Commentary with actor Kurt Russell & director John Carpenter
  • Audio Commentary with Producer Debra Hill and production designer Joe Alves
  • Big Challenges in Little Manhatten: Visual effects featurette – from 2015, features interviews with both Dennis Skotak, Director of Photography of Special VFX, and Robert Skotak, Unit Supervisor and Matte Artist
  • I am Taylor - Interview with actor Joe Unger – from 2015
  • Audio Commentary with actress Adrienne Barbeau & DOP Dean Cundey

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

It looks like Universal is releasing some of the classic monster movies in 4K. There have been rumors and now it looks like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Wolf Man will be released in October.

These might be the covers in Germany:

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I hope Disney will release Classic Simpsons Blu Rays at some point. I know odds are against it right now, with Disney+ and all, but damn I want it.

kunonabi

It looks like Universal is releasing some of the classic monster movies in 4K. There have been rumors and now it looks like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Wolf Man will be released in October.

These might be the covers in Germany:
Heck yeah.

Top Bottom