• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

13400_tn.jpg

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is preparing a 4K Blu-ray release of Brian De Palma's crime thriller Carlito's Way (1993), starring Al Pacino, Sean Penn, Penelope Ann Miller, John Leguizamo, and Ingrid Rogers. Currently, the release is set to arrive on the market on October 19.

Whitecrow

Banned
Well hello there fellow cinephiles, I just got my PS5 and I would like some impressive 4K HDR movie recommendations. Please? Thank you!

VulcanRaven

Well hello there fellow cinephiles, I just got my PS5 and I would like some impressive 4K HDR movie recommendations. Please? Thank you!
I started buying 4K Blu-Rays too not long ago. I haven't watched many but War of the Worlds (2005), Batman (1989) and Dawn of the Dead (1978) looked great.

Finally picked up the spiderman 4k trilogy yesterday.

UYHTF14701-3.jpg

Nice quality set. I've had my eye on it for a long time and seen it priced between $30 all the way to ~$65. Amazon has it for ~$43 now so I figured that was good enough, since I'm not sure if this is OOP or not.
I bought this too. The picture quality is very good.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I started buying 4K Blu-Rays too not long ago. I haven't watched many but War of the Worlds (2005), Batman (1989) and Dawn of the Dead (1978) looked great.

I bought this too. The picture quality is very good.
I found it to be just okay for a 4k transfer, but I adore the movies and the packaging is pretty nice.

Zangiefy360

Banned
Dom4K_MonstersCollection_BeautyShot_R02-scaled.jpg

It looks like the release is on October 5th.

Day 1! A dream release for me.

Hopefully a second volume is on the horizon with Bride, Creature, and The Mummy.

kunonabi

Dom4K_MonstersCollection_BeautyShot_R02-scaled.jpg

It looks like the release is on October 5th.
Goddamn, what is with October. It's like every company in the world is out to pillage my waller without mercy this year.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Last edited:
From dusk till dawn gettin a 4k bluray release in October,target has a steelbook version.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I just watched Spider-Man 3 and the quality is great. I need to watch the Editor's cut too that is included. I wish that was in 4K.
Spider-Man 3 had the best transfer of those three. I agree that one looks really good.
I also wish the editor's cut was in 4k. I think it's my preferred version, even if not by much. Same with Spider-Man 2.1, in fact.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
But the movies are bloated and not fun.

Really the only things that honestly bugs me about The Hobbit movies was the stupid High Fels part, because Agmar NEVER DIED. There WAS NO CORPSE TO BURY IN THE HIGH FELS. He became a Wraith. And the Elf/Dwarf romance, because that was 100% Warner Brothers interfering with Jackson and forcing him to give the movies an Aragorn/Arwen romance.

But other than those two things, I can watch the movies and with the 4K ones Jackson went back and adjusted the color timing so they better match the LOTR movies. It's more seamless when you watch them back to back now. Previously the Hobbit movies had a "hotter" color timing to them due to the 48fps.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Really the only things that honestly bugs me about The Hobbit movies was the stupid High Fels part, because Agmar NEVER DIED. There WAS NO CORPSE TO BURY IN THE HIGH FELS. He became a Wraith. And the Elf/Dwarf romance, because that was 100% Warner Brothers interfering with Jackson and forcing him to give the movies an Aragorn/Arwen romance.

But other than those two things, I can watch the movies and with the 4K ones Jackson went back and adjusted the color timing so they better match the LOTR movies. It's more seamless when you watch them back to back now. Previously the Hobbit movies had a "hotter" color timing to them due to the 48fps.
The only thing, and then you name 2 things.

I enjoy the first film and think it is fun and watchable, it has some of the best parts in the book in it. The Trolls, the Escape from the Trolls, Dwarven history. The other 2 movies drag. Smaug gets expanded a lot, which is OK, but all the running through the mines is overdone. Then in the third movie they have to show you time and time again that the master of Laketown and his assistant are terrible cowards. We know all that, we don't have to see it 10 times. I think the thing the hurt the Hobbit is going from 2 movies to 3. They were forced to add content and stretch for time. The battle of 5 armies is from Bilbo's perspective in the book and he gets knocked out, and we hear the results. In a movie you can't do that, but I thought what they did do, was not that great. I think they do a terrible job of introducing Dain and why he is important. Just some thoughts.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was looking for this. It will have to have some awesome stuff for me to get it. I did get 4K LOTR this year.

But the movies are bloated and not fun.
I disagree, I think they are a lot of fun. But I'm not a book reader, so I don't care about canon or the source material. I think they got sillier as the trilogy went on, but I thought all 3 were fun movies.

VulcanRaven

LEwF3jd.jpg

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release on Blu-ray Superman: The Complete Animated Series (1996-2000). The six-disc set will be available for purchase on October 12th.

Studio description: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC are celebrating the 25th anniversary of Superman: The Animated Series with a fully remastered Blu-ray box set. Superman: The Complete Animated Series, which includes several hours of bonus features headlined by an all-new documentary detailing the creation of one of the most beloved animated Super Hero cartoons in history.

Produced by Warner Bros. Animation (WBA), the Emmy Award-winning Superman: The Animated Series was the perfect follow-up to the landmark Batman: the Animated Series. Producers Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Alan Burnett elevated The Man of Steel's animated presence with an imaginative, heartfelt look at Superman's adventures in Metropolis alongside Lois Lane and opposite the villainous likes of Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid and more. Premiering on September 6, 1996, the series continued WBA's dominance in Super Hero animation, once again setting new standards for storytelling, art direction and acting performances – and garnering 11 Emmy Award nominations and two Emmy Award wins, including top honors as the Outstanding Special Class Animated Program of 1998.

The remarkable Superman: The Complete Animated Series box set features nearly 21 hours of entertainment spread over six Blu-ray discs, including all 54 exciting episodes, an all-new series-defining featurette entitled Superman: Timeless Icon, a special video commentary episode and three specially selected episodes with audio commentaries by the showrunners.

All 54 episodes have been remastered from the original 35mm Interpositive sources, giving special attention to extensive color correction, dirt and scratch clean up, and adding a grain reduction pass to create a pristine picture, all while making sure not to affect the original lines in the artwork of the animation. The audio was retransferred from the original audio masters, and the series is presented in its original aspect ratio (4x3).

Last edited:

Amory

https://www.polygon.com/22620230/criterion-collection-4k-blu-ray-uhd-citizen-kane-mulholland-dr

Polygon said:
The Criterion Collection is finally making the leap to Ultra HD. The boutique Blu-ray publisher announced on Wednesday that it’s going to start releasing 4K UHD Blu-rays, but only for certain films in the collection.

Criterion is starting its run of UHD films off with a killer lineup that’s headlined by Orson Well’s legendary Citizen Kane. This is the first time that Criterion has put out a new edition of Citizen Kane since the film’s 50th anniversary in 1992, although that version was released on Laserdisc.

Also included in Criterion’s first 4K offerings will be David Lynch’s haunting and dreamlike Mulholland Dr., Powell and Pressburger’s The Red Shoes, Richard Lester’s Beatles musical A Hard Day’s Night, Jane Campion’s The Piano, and Albert Hughes’ Menace II Society.

Awesome news for the format. I figured Criterion would jump in eventually but with how long they've waited I started to question

ManaByte

Gold Member

TonyK

Interstellar 4K bluray doesn't play in my PS5 :messenger_loudly_crying:
Regular Bluray works fine, but the 4K version doesn't work. I don't know if it's related to the disc or the console. Has anyone here tested Interstellar 4K in Ps5?

VulcanRaven

Anyone else absolutely mortified they paid for the 4K Justice League Snyder cut only to find it's in fucking 4:3 ???
I don't have it but I like the aspect ratio. You can see more of the picture. One bad thing about the physical release is that it doesn't have Dolby Vision.

I bought Van Helsing 4K BD. Its not a great movie but I still enjoy it. I heard its only a 2K upscale but HDR looked very good.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't have it but I like the aspect ratio. You can see more of the picture. One bad thing about the physical release is that it doesn't have Dolby Vision.

I bought Van Helsing 4K BD. Its not a great movie but I still enjoy it. I heard its only a 2K upscale but HDR looked very good.
4:3 should die long ago. The fact that standard is 16:9 but we are still cropping from 4:3 is crazy.
Technically you are right though

Top Bottom