• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

kunonabi

Since you're into old school you should try to acquire Cyborg 009 (2001) :messenger_winking_tongue:

fe8f243a-e56f-471c-8134-0c1f3de7b4a2_1.d32f3498cef6254ac4dfb391ce06ee1e.jpeg
Yeah I've been meaning to watch that forever maybe I'll finally get around to it if I actually own it.

HAYA8U5A

Aliens should have been first. True Lies even. I don't think you can even buy that one of blu-ray.
True Lies got a region free Blu-ray in Spain not that long ago and people seem positive about the PQ/AQ. Keep holding out hope for something else (AKA UHD) but probably going to break and just import that one of these days. Probably the best we can hope for unless Disney ever get a management reshuffle with somebody that cares about home video like what happened with Paramount that has really boosted their back catalog output over the last few years.

Dev1lXYZ

What’s the consensus here on Escape from LA? I absolutely loved Escape from NY (80s Carpenter in general), but I’ve always heard mixed things about LA. Really need to give it a shot at some point.

It’s a big middle finger to Universal and a statement on the industry of 1990’s Hollywood. It’s a mirror of the first movie in many ways but I always felt the cast didn’t work nearly as well as Escape’s. It retreads some things from the first, but doesn’t do them as well. This is coming from a pretty big JC fan. Escape From NY is on a completely other level than LA in every department and it has aged much better as well.

Aggelos

Heat 4K UHD would be awesome. Any news?

Who knows, might it coincide with Michael Mann's novel in August?

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

RoboCop: The Series is coming to Blu-Ray. Bad thing is that the aspect ratio will be 16:9 and not the original 4:3.

Robocop: The Series, the Canadian 1994 series is coming to Blu-ray. The series, which lasted 21 episodes after a feature-length pilot, was more "family-friendly" if you will, and ignored quite a bit of the franchise that preceded it. It was entertaining though, and that it is getting released is pretty neat. A DVD will also be released. Special Features include featurettes on the cast, behind the scenes, and even toy commercials. It's set to release on May 10th, but you can check out the trailer, cover for the release, and features list below.

In 1994, after three films in the franchise, the popular sci-fi action character RoboCop debuted in his own television series. Produced by Canada's Skyvision Entertainment, RoboCop: The Series starred Richard Eden in the title role. An 89-minute pilot aired in two parts in March, followed by 21 one-hour episodes. Aimed at a younger audience, the series dialed back the graphic violence of the first two movies and displayed a tone similar in feel to RoboCop 3. Many of the events and plotlines seen in the films were discarded, with RoboCop: The Series acting as a reset for the once human, now cyborg police officer. The series theme song, "A Future to This Life," was performed by rock legends Joe Walsh and Lita Ford. Additionally, the series included songs by The Band, Dave Edmunds, Nicky Hopkins, Iron Butterfly, KC & The Sunshine Band, and Todd Rundgren, among others.

Included in the set: newly remastered cut of the pilot & series; Behind The Scenes Featurette; Toy Commercial; Photo Gallery; Cast Profiles (Eden, Lisa Madigan, Andrea Roth, Sarah Campbell, & David Gardner); "From Cinema to the Small Screen" Featurette; "The Future of Law Enforcement: The History of RoboCop" Featurette; Fun Facts & Info; "Put Down Your Weapon: The Auto 9 Gun" Featurette; "The Car" Featurette; and "The Suit" Featurette.

14055_tn.jpeg

Trailer:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wish they would include Dolby Vision.
The digital copies they come with (and the D+ versions) do, and they look beautiful. The color timing on the OT is perfect, it's what they're supposed to look like. I'm still impressed with them years after they debuted on D+. They're like a warm blanket from the 80s because this is how they're supposed to look, not those really messed up DVD/Blu-Ray transfers.

ManaByte

Gold Member
But you have to deal with all the junk added in 97

4K77 is just a scan of a film print, the despecialized is sourced from the shit Blu-Rays. Neither are as good as the official 4K transfers that were produced by Lucasfilm/ILM under the supervision of George before he sold the company. Hell beyond just the picture quality, the 4K versions have the definitive audio tracks that do things like restore the trumpets at the beginning of the Death Star assault in ANH that the DVDs and Blu-Rays muted.

Venuspower

I wish they would include Dolby Vision.

There really is no need for Dolby Vision for these movies. They are so bad in terms of peak brightness that even the worst TVs can display the movies without much tone mapping. The only exception here might be Episode IX and maybe Episode VII. But it is a shame that Episode I - VI & VIII are advertised with HDR at all.

(Note that there is no difference in peak brightness between the Disney+ and UHD blu ray version).

kunonabi

There really is no need for Dolby Vision for these movies. They are so bad in terms of peak brightness that even the worst TVs can display the movies without much tone mapping. The only exception here might be Episode IX and maybe Episode VII. But it is a shame that Episode I - VI & VIII are advertised with HDR at all.

(Note that there is no difference in peak brightness between the Disney+ and UHD blu ray version).

I'd be fine with a Dolby re-release even if it doesn't add much just so they can fix the episode II physical release and it's completely borked brightness levels. It's so bad that the scenes on tatooine and geonosis are basically happening at completely different times of day.

Last edited:

SegaShack

4K77 is just a scan of a film print, the despecialized is sourced from the shit Blu-Rays. Neither are as good as the official 4K transfers that were produced by Lucasfilm/ILM under the supervision of George before he sold the company. Hell beyond just the picture quality, the 4K versions have the definitive audio tracks that do things like restore the trumpets at the beginning of the Death Star assault in ANH that the DVDs and Blu-Rays muted.
Is there a new scan George did of the movies before he left? The originals? First I've heard of this.

Venuspower

I'd be fine with a Dolby re-release even if it doesn't add much

But there is no reason why they should re-release these movies in DV as long as they do not do proper HDR grading. You can watch it in DV on Disney+. You will see that there is absolutely no advantage to Dolby Vision. Compare it with Rogue One. The difference is clearly visible, as Rogue One has been given extremely good HDR grading.

so they can fix the episode II

They have to fix the HDR grading in every Episode except VII and IX. While they're at it, they might as well fix Solo's HDR grading.
And then I also agree with you that a Dolby Vision release is worthwhile. But as long as the films only have a maximum of 400 nits, Dolby Vision simply does not add any value.

Is there a new scan George did of the movies before he left? The originals? First I've heard of this.

Yes, work on the 4K scan of the OT was initiated by George Lucas himself at the time. Long before he sold LFL to Disney. The 4K scans were started in conjunction with the planned 3D release of the films. In other words, Disney had the UHD Masters in the drawer for ages, before finally releasing them.

This also means that Maclunkey is still George Lucas' brainchild and that the cheeky bastard could not resist reworking the Han-Shot-First scene again.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not the original non-SEs. Despite what the internet wants to believe, the original negative in the vault was cut and is conformed to the SE:
We asked Kaminksi about the master copy of the original Star Wars. What does it look like now? "The term 'master copy' is slightly vague, because there are various kinds of print masters of different generations," he told Ars. The original negative is conformed to the 1997 Special Edition, meaning the physical copy has been cut and edited with CGI "improvements." With sections of the film being too damaged to work with, parts of that print were taken from other sources. "You never throw away your original negative, so I must assume that any pieces or shots that were removed are in storage somewhere at Lucasfilm or Fox," he explained.

Lowry Digital did the DVDs/BDs of the movies (and Indy).

Lucasfilm did their own new 4K scans of the Star Wars and Indy movies before George sold the company. They were showing the 4K ANH internally for years before Disney released it.

kunonabi

Episode II's problem isn't just a grading issue. Something went wrong when they pressed the discs as it ended up looking 10x darker than the digital versions released on vudu, Disney+, etc. I'm just looking for an excuse for a new phyiscal release really. I won't have Dolby vision for a couple years so I'm stuck with hdr10 anyway.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It is worth having a slightly inferior product to have the theatrical versions available.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Some movies might not take HDR to the peak brightness we would want, but HDR + WCG + 10 bits RGB do bring an overall better lighting, Color’s, skin tones and materials. Some movies change completely and it is not just the resolution 4K brings… especially movies shot in the 70’s and 80’s feel reborn.

Venuspower

Some movies might not take HDR to the peak brightness we would want, but HDR + WCG + 10 bits RGB do bring an overall better lighting, Color’s, skin tones and materials. Some movies change completely and it is not just the resolution 4K brings… especially movies shot in the 70’s and 80’s feel reborn.

Well, High Dynamic Range is called high dynamic range for a reason. By far the most important aspect is a high peak brightness. Otherwise they should stop calling it HDR. Vincent Teoh also explained the issues with "fake HDR" movies in the past.

Unfortunately most of the SW UHD BluRays are a disaster in terms of HDR. Plus there is so much noise reduction applied in IV-VI, that details are lost in some scenes.

There are tons of movies out there that received a much better treatment than the most recent SW re-releases. The UHD release of the Skywalker Saga really sucks. The normal blu ray release is superior.

Which is quite funny since LFL really delivered with Rogue One. This movie is one of the best UHD releases out there. I really do not know what went wrong with the other movies (the age of the films does not matter for HDR).

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Well, High Dynamic Range is called high dynamic range for a reason. By far the most important aspect is a high peak brightness. Otherwise they should stop calling it HDR. Vincent Teoh also explained the issues with "fake HDR" movies in the past.
HDR can also be too bright. One example of that is King Kong (2005). That is just too bright and its not pleasant to look at.

MilkLizard

Lowry completely fucked up the colors on the Blu-Rays. Lucasfilm fixed them. The sound mix on the Blu-rays is messed up too.

sw4-sc067.sh43-laser-color.jpg
sw4-sc116.sh20-purple-saber.jpg
I mean your 1000% not wrong here but having 4k77 as an option if you prefer the originsl theatrical version is fantastic IMO. 4k83 as well and I’m eagerly awaiting 4k80 to complete the collection. For a fan-made scan they look perfectly fine.

Top Bottom