• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
arrived this week:

PnYMJmN.jpg

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Nice. I love my Sony receiver.

Really happy with it, It's my first A/V upgrade since 1997. I bought a Sony STR-DE485 and it finally started to die on me just before Xmas last year. The jump from compressed surround sound (DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1) to uncompressed (Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS:X and LPCM) is amazing, it's like it breathed a whole new life into my blu-ray/4K collection, even Atmos via my Apple TV 4K sounds really good.

I would like to get back into physical media. Just a quick question does 4k physical media look better than 4k streaming. I watched a YouTube video a while back claiming 4k streaming on Disney+ looks better UHD disks.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I would like to get back into physical media. Just a quick question does 4k physical media look better than 4k streaming. I watched a YouTube video a while back claiming 4k streaming on Disney+ looks better UHD disks.

Way better, in regards to picture quality 4K streaming is about 15mbps on average (most sites recommend an internet speed of 25mbps for buffering), blu-rays discs are on average between 25-35mbps, while most 4K discs are on average 80mbps and can go as high as 128mbps (the only one I've seen do this is the 70mm parts of Apollo 11).

With audio, most streaming sites stream standard Dolby Digital 5.1 at 640kbps compressed audio, which is DVD quality sound. More are starting to stream in Dolby Atmos, but I believe the bitrate is still compressed. With 4K discs (and blu-rays) you have fully uncompressed sound, be it Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and LPCM. Dolby True HD and DTS-HD average out between 2-5mbps, while Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are around 6mbps, and LPCM is 7mbps.

Last edited:
Did anyone else stop getting notifications for new posts in this thread? I thought it had died off, but was excited to see it and learn of the Police Story and Heat 4Ks coming down the pipe. Ordered those.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I miss the days of Blu-ray and DVD having alot of extras.

Special Edition DVDs used to have tons of extras: multiple audio commentaries, deleted scenes, making of featurettes, mini documentaries about the film makers. I could spend just as much time going through the extras as I had spent watching the film. Those days are over.

Special Edition DVDs used to have tons of extras: multiple audio commentaries, deleted scenes, making of featurettes, mini documentaries about the film makers. I could spend just as much time going through the extras as I had spent watching the film. Those days are over.
Yeah unfortunately, I think it's due to profits

ManaByte

That too lol

No it's specifically that. The home video market is now PVOD and streaming, and they prepare the movies for those formats; most of which don't even support extras. Physical is an afterthought in 2022 and is a super niche market. Again, there's literally ONE duplication plant in all of North America with an entire year's worth of discs planned out in a long waiting list. Most studios aren't going to spend money for that kind of market.

No it's specifically that. The home video market is now PVOD and streaming, and they prepare the movies for those formats; most of which don't even support extras. Physical is an afterthought in 2022 and is a super niche market. Again, there's literally ONE duplication plant in all of North America with an entire year's worth of discs planned out in a long waiting list. Most studios aren't going to spend money for that kind of market.
Which depresses me since that means more control by these companies. I would rather own a dvd/bluray/4k than stream. Since streaming you have to have a internet connection

Outpost #31

aADMdHZ.jpg

Got my Raiders and Untouchables 4K steelbooks in. Woohoo!
Love the packaging they used for the collector's edition of the Untouchables steelbook. It's a quite thick and sturdy slipcase that houses the steelbook and folded poster. Probably my new favorite packaging.

Which depresses me since that means more control by these companies. I would rather own a dvd/bluray/4k than stream. Since streaming you have to have a internet connection
I don't even mind the internet connection requirement, although I get that could be an impediment for some people. I don't like that content can sometimes just move to a different service and if you don't have that service you are SOL. I get licensing agreements and all that but it can be annoying.

Plus if you have physical media for shows, you don't get episodes pulled, or worry about music changing, etc.

Top Bottom