• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Trying to decide whether I love Batman Beyond enough to re-purchase the series on blu ray. Already owned it once and sold it for a solid price.

I am constantly trying to lower the amount of collectibles and physical media I own, but this one is crawling back into my mind. Thought I'd be content owning B:TAS, but now idk.

Aggelos

Q7gzyiX.jpg

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
13273505-8424893333893346.jpg

• Includes booklet
  • T2: Reprogramming The Terminator documentary (including exclusive interviews with James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Edward Furlong and many more) – 55 mins
  • 2 Feature Commentaries; 23 Members of Cast & Crew (1993)/Director James & Co-Author William Wisher
  • The Making of T2 (1993)
  • Seamless Branching Of The Theatrical Version (137 mins approx.)
  • Special Edition Version (154 mins approx.)
  • Extended Special Edition Version (156 mins approx.)
  • 2 Deleted Scenes With Audio Commentary
  • Trailers – T2:3D (2017)
  • T2 Theatrical Trailer ‘This Time There Are Two’/’Same Make New Mission’/’Building The Perfect Arnold
Sculpture Specifications:
Still no 4k hdr extended versions, so garbage.🥳

Amory

"Nothing stops. Nothing, or you will do the hardest time there is. No more protection from the guards, I'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the Sodomites. You'll think you've been fucked by a train!"🥳
I'm always jealous of UK UHD packaging. cases are such better quality for collectors. the only good thing about US packaging is it saves shelf space

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
EDC_KEY_SKEWopen_FINAL.4-scaled.jpg
No good without Army of Darkness though.

13665.jpg

THE KARATE KID

Synopsis: From Academy Award-winning director John G. Avildsen (1976, ROCKY) comes the highly entertaining, coming-of-age classic that will have you cheering! Starring Ralph Macchio and Noriyuki "Pat" Morita in his Academy Award-nominated performance (Best Supporting Actor, 1984) as Mr. Miyagi.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • PREVIOUSLY RESTORED IN 4K FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • DOLBY VISION PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • English Dolby Atmos audio + 5.1 + theatrical stereo audio
  • NEW: Deleted Scenes
  • "Remembering The Karate Kid"– A reflective look back with stars Ralph Macchio, William Zabka and Martin Kove
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Blu-Pop Pop-Up Track
  • Commentary with Director John G. Avildsen, Writer Robert Mark Kamen and Actors Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita
  • "The Way of The Karake Kid" Multi-Part Making-Of Featurette
  • "Beyond the Form" Featurette
  • "East Meets West: A Composer's Notebook"
  • "Life of Bonsai" Featurette
THE KARATE KID PART II

Synopsis: Returning with Daniel (Ralph Macchio) to his Okinawa home for the first time in 45 years, Miyagi (Noriyuki "Pat" Morita) encounters Yukie (Nobu McCarthy), the woman he left behind when he immigrated to America.

• PREVIOUSLY RESTORED IN 4K FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • NEW: Commentary with Ralph Macchio and Tamlyn Tomita
  • NEW: Deleted Scene
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Blu-Pop Pop-Up Track
  • Original Featurette: "The Sequel"
THE KARATE KID PART III

Synopsis: Daniel is in danger of losing it all when he places pride before principle in this powerful sequel to the hit feature films.

• NEW 4K RESTORAITON FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • Theatrical trailer

For the Columbia Classics movies, do those come out individually? Not sure if I would get the entire set since I haven't seen them all but I'd pick up Taxi Driver and The Social Network.

For the Columbia Classics movies, do those come out individually? Not sure if I would get the entire set since I haven't seen them all but I'd pick up Taxi Driver and The Social Network.
It’s possible. Dr. Strangelove got a stand-alone release and there was another…I think it was Lawrence Of Arabia but I could be wrong.

Early on I went on eBay and bought A League Of Their Own and Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. But with Volume 2, it looks like it’s super expensive to cherry pick. I saw Taxi Driver 4K with bids over $50. Might as well buy the whole set. And I’ve heard really good things about Oliver and Stripes so I may get the whole set.

Last edited:

MacReady13

So glad to see we have a physical media thread here...

Anyway, I just purchased through Amazon Halloween 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. All 4K and all look glorious!

I also purchased Basic Instinct 4K (yet to watch this 4K copy) as I love the film and noticed it has a new commentary by Camille Paglia which I am very much looking forward to!

Awaiting The Guest 4K Limited Edition from Second Sight. Should be arriving any day now. One of my personal fav films and this special edition was a no brainer.

Thaedolus

This might be a little off topic but it’s not worth its own thread so maybe one of you can opine:

My buddy and I are gonna marathon LotR tomorrow at his place and he’s got a 4K tv. I’ve got a PS5 and the blu rays from like ten years ago, 1080p. He’s also got HBO max which streams in 4K. What’s likely to be the best picture quality? I’m thinking streaming compression at 4K vs 1080p with less compression? Are the HBO versions the updated remasters that are on the 4K blu rays?

ManaByte

This might be a little off topic but it’s not worth its own thread so maybe one of you can opine:

My buddy and I are gonna marathon LotR tomorrow at his place and he’s got a 4K tv. I’ve got a PS5 and the blu rays from like ten years ago, 1080p. He’s also got HBO max which streams in 4K. What’s likely to be the best picture quality? I’m thinking streaming compression at 4K vs 1080p with less compression? Are the HBO versions the updated remasters that are on the 4K blu rays?

The 4K versions have the fixed color balance. The Blu-Rays are fucked up. The 4Ks look like they're supposed to.

Last Duel & Many Saints of Newark announced, plus Warner’s 2022 4K slate should include Green Mile, Lost Boys & Singin’ in the Rain!

This is also not official, but our sources are reporting that Frank Darabont’s The Green Mile (1999) is coming to 4K Ultra HD from Warner early next year. The expected street date is 2/22/22.

And I promised you a little a little more Warner Bros. catalog 4K news, didn’t I? Well, our industry sources are now telling us to expect Joel Schumacher’s The Lost Boys to arrive in 4K Ultra HD from the studio next year, along with Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen’s Singin’ in the Rain. The former celebrates its 35th anniversary in 2022, while the latter celebrates its 70th. It should be noted that Tobe Hooper’s Poltergeist and Michael Curtiz’s Casablanca also celebrate major anniversaries next year (the 40th and 80th, respectively), so consider those possible for release in 4K nextyear as well. (But note that I don’t have any kind of confirmation on those as yet.)

Top Bottom