• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Does any one use their PS5 or Series X for UHD 4K Blu rays?

I have both but debating on if I want to just get a stand alone 4K Blu ray player for better picture quality.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I'm all over Robocop 4k ultra hd.

Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'll have to watch the OG at some point. It's in my pile of shame
Well the remake, Murphy is fully aware that he was human and he was turn into a Cyborg from the get go.
In the Original he was designed to be a machine, just a program and a product of CCP that they used a dead cop for.
He wasn't supposed to remember anything and you'll have to watch it to see how that works out.
I don't wanna say anything else because I don't spoil it for you.
But it drives the film and is the whole point of it.

Last edited:

TGO

Can you link to the Amazon one? And is it 4K UHD? I can't seem to find it on US Amazon but I must have it.
Yeah it's UHD+BD but Amazon US hasn't announced theirs yet.
And the Zavvi US one is out of stock now
You can import if you must have it from Amazon UK
Spider-Man: No Way Home - Amazon Excl. City Steelbook (2 Discs - UHD & BD) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09N4D8YPG/
It's $56.27 with shipping
And just cancel it if Amazon US puts up there's
Funny enough Amazon France has the Zavvi Exclusive Steel as Exclusive
so it will depend if the US version is the same or it might be Bestbuy exclusive.
No other US retailer has announced anything yet
If I hear anything I'll post it though 👍

Last edited:

But here’s the biggie. And I almost hate to post this, because... well, as I said a moment ago, you’ll understand the second you read it: James Cameron has just given an interview with Space.com about his new book, Tech Noir: The Art of James Cameron, which is now available from Insight Editions (it came out on 12/14 and is available on Amazon via this link, or you can click on the book cover image on the right).

Some of you may already know where this is going. To their credit, Space.com was heads-up and asked about The Abyss, including whether there will a 4K release. And Cameron answered. Here’s the relevant section (the answers have been edited to get to the meat, but here’s a link to the original article where you can see the full context)...

Space.com:The Abyss is often a neglected Cameron classic that was a pioneering film in so many ways. What can you tell us about concept art created for it and will there be a high-definition 4K transfer at some point?”

Cameron: “Yeah, we finished the transfer and I wanted to do it myself because Mikael [Salomon] did such a beautiful job with the cinematography on that film. It is truly, truly gorgeous cinematography. [...] So I just recently finished the high-def transfer a couple of months ago so presumably there’ll be Blu-rays and it will stream with a proper transfer from now on. I appreciate what you said about the film. It didn’t make much money in its day, but it does seem to be well-liked over time.”

Before anyone asks, I’ve already contacted Disney to see if I can get them to comment, or to get any information at all about this. I can’t guarantee that any information will be forthcoming from the studio, but rest assured that I’ll keep shaking the trees to find out what I can.

I still wouldn’t hold my breath for a new Blu-ray or 4K release. But at least we know that Cameron himself has (apparently) finally approved the new transfer. What happens next is up to Disney.

Last edited:

TGO

Now then, I promised you a bit of new 4K Ultra HD catalog news...

Retail sources are suggesting that Paramount’s long-anticipated The Godfather Trilogy will arrive on 4K UHD on 3/22.

Kino Lorber Studio Classics has revealed that Norman Jewison’s In the Heat of the Night (1967) will arrive on 4K UHD sometime early in 2022. It’s listed as “coming soon.”

Anime Limited in the UK is releasing Eiichi Yamamoto’s legendary Japanese anime Belladonna of Sadness (1973) in 4K Ultra HD on 2/7.

And here’s something interesting that we’ve just uncovered here at The Bits: Our industry sources are telling us to expect Warner Bros. Home Entertainment to release Constantine (2005) and Edge of Tomorrow (2014) on 4K Ultra HD in 2022. This is in addition to the catalog titles we’ve already uncovered (and mentioned) previously that are coming next year from the studio, including The Green Mile (due on 2/22), The Lost Boys, Singin’ in the Rain, Poltergeist, and Casablanca.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Constantine and Edge of Tomorrow in 4K UHD mmh ;).

Thaedolus

I’m gonna pick up my first 4K UHD Blu-ray today now that I have a TV and player that supports all the stuff…question is: which one? I haven’t seen Blade Runner 2049 or Mad Max since they were in theaters, should I just flip a coin or get both?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’m gonna pick up my first 4K UHD Blu-ray today now that I have a TV and player that supports all the stuff…question is: which one? I haven’t seen Blade Runner 2049 or Mad Max since they were in theaters, should I just flip a coin or get both?
We don’t know. But people certainly rave about the 2049 disc and Mad Max definitely looks gorgeous. Can’t go wrong with either or both really. I also thought Alien looked great.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'd go with mad Max myself but both are good.

Edge of Tomorrow on 4K sounds promising! The LFE track on that movie is notoriously powerful. Real workout for those who have subwoofer(s). Hopefully the studio doesn’t gimp it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would go with a well mastered 70’s to early 90’s movie… HDR and a good 4K remaster, well not sure how to put it, but they bring these movies back to how I remember watching them as a child (think Ghostbusters, lighting is generally reborn for me).

Last edited:
Top Bottom