• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

ManaByte

I've had a Sony UBP-X800 since they launched, but now that I have a DV TV and receiver, I really wanted a DV player. Just grabbed a UBP-X700 for $150.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
The postman rang twice today
IMG_0643.jpg

WoodyStare

Don’t buy pirates of the caribbean on 4k they did a bad job .

I was really looking forward to this. Can’t believe they fucked it up this bad. Thankfully the Blu-ray that came out 14 years ago has fantastic image quality and PCM audio.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I bought Free Guy on 4K UHD with special features, and they packed two codes in my case. Any one wanna try to redeem the second code on Movies Anywhere?

carlosrox

Banned
I found the Finding Nemo 4k a bit underwhelming. I mean it looks good don't get me wrong but I was hoping for a bit more sharpness in the picture. A lot of it looks kinda soft.

Looking forward to seeing A Bug's Life which I picked up recently. Was super into it as a kid and would watch it often. Haven't seen it in years and have forgotten a lot of it. Hope it looks good!

Shrek was also pretty nice looking. Nothing super special but it worked.

Oh, Blade in 4k was fucking amazing! Looks so good! One of the best 4k I've seen and a dramatic difference from the last time I saw it on DVD!! Night and day(walker) difference!

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
BE STILL MY BEATING HEART.

Easily one the best movies of all time, FULL STOP.

I could make the argument this is my favorite movie of all time. It's basically perfection.

The movie will always be relevant with its themes too, especially these days where groupthink is all the rage.
9qcJmf5.jpg

Outpost #31

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART.

Easily one the best movies of all time, FULL STOP.

I could make the argument this is my favorite movie of all time. It's basically perfection.

The movie will always be relevant with its themes too, especially these days where groupthink is all the rage.
9qcJmf5.jpg

Awesome! Love this movie too. It's in my top 10

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I've had a Sony UBP-X800 since they launched, but now that I have a DV TV and receiver, I really wanted a DV player. Just grabbed a UBP-X700 for $150.
I have the X700 and it's been a pretty poor experience. With mine, I have to constantly re-set up the internet connection, it responds slowly, loads slowly. Just awful.

Hopefully I just got a faulty one and you have better luck.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Fantastic, can't wait. Godfather 1 gets better with every watch.

I love 2 as well though mostly for the Vito segments.

ManaByte

• Over 300 cartons of film were scrutinized to find the best possible resolution for every frame of all three films.
  • Over 4,000 hours were spent repairing film stains, tears, and other anomalies in the negatives.
  • Over 1,000 hours were spent on rigorous color correction to ensure the high dynamic range tools were respectful of the original vision of Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis.
  • In addition to the 5.1 audio approved by Walter Murch in 2007, the original mono tracks on The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II have been restored.
  • All work was overseen by Coppola.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Wondering why The Crow hasn't had a 4K release in the US. Apparently other regions have gotten one.

TMNT 1990
The Crow
Shin Godzilla
Princess Mononoke

Those are the 4k's I'd like to see get released here or anywhere.

WoodyStare

What’s the consensus here on Escape from LA? I absolutely loved Escape from NY (80s Carpenter in general), but I’ve always heard mixed things about LA. Really need to give it a shot at some point.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

What’s the consensus here on Escape from LA? I absolutely loved Escape from NY (80s Carpenter in general), but I’ve always heard mixed things about LA. Really need to give it a shot at some point.
That's it's mostly a retread of the first movie with a ticking tomb in the plot, different cabby, etc.

Top Bottom