• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5-year-old becomes the youngest sponsored Twitch streamer, and youngest Call of Duty World League player.

https://afkgaming.com/esports/news/...remely-talented-call-of-duty-playerRowdyRogan is a five-year-old Call of Duty player with over 7000 followers on Twitch.
  • His Twitter bio says that he is the world's youngest sponsored player, while his Facebook states that he is the world's youngest Call of Duty World League player.

• A recent gaming clip of his garnered more than 1 million views bringing him into the limelight.
We have witnessed a lot of young talented players make their way into esports in recent years, but the 5-year-old who goes by the name of RowdyRogan takes the cake. The child prodigy is a fantastic Call of Duty player with more than 7,000 followers on his Twitch channel, where he usually streams the game along with his father.

The preschooler is touted as the ‘World’s Youngest Sponsored Player’ according to his Twitter bio, while his Facebook page says that he is the ‘World’s Youngest Call of Duty World League Player’, whether one believes this or not there is no denying that he is an exceptionally talented Call of Duty player.

RowdyRogan caught everyone’s attention recently when one of his gaming clips on his Twitter account blew up overnight, attaining more than 1 million views. In the clip, he can be seen playing Call of Duty: Warzone along with his dad, actively communicating while engaging with the enemy players as he goes on to take two kills.

He has already played quite a few games with both FaZe Apex who is the Owner of esports organization FaZe Clan and FaZe Swagg who is a content creator.

But despite being good at the game, and playing at an exceptionally high level given his age, he has faced quite a lot of backlash from the community, who has voiced concerns related to Twitch allowing such a young kid to stream violent games on their platform, while a few others also took a shot at CoD for allowing a kid below 18 to play their game, which goes against their Terms of Service (ToS).
afkgaming%2Fimport%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2F23499-RodyRogan%20Streams%20With%20FaZe%20Swagg.jpg

afkgaming%2Fimport%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2F90330-Cover%20Image%20-%20The%20Five%20Year%20Old%20Talent%20COD%20Player.jpg

Now to be fair, this is probably just another family father and son/mother and son/daughter gaming grift. But I do think the parent (dad) may not be realizing the potential long-term ramifications of exposing his kid to the online streaming culture of twitch, let alone fame, egotism, and violenece.

With that being said, looking deeper into it he doesn't seem THAT good but he does seem to be above average. But this is really the parents that are making off with whatever this kid is being used to bring which I find to be the more problematic issue here as it's at the expense of the kids. Which again, the ramifications likely won't be felt until later.

Also Faze playing with the kid is strange. The dad of course would have had to set that up but I don't know what he Faze himself gained from it, that's not really clickworthy or view worthy stream bait.

Last edited:
Also, if he is sponsored he has a contract, which is pretty sure is illegal for a 5-year-old.

It's probably through the dad as a cover. Like i said it's likely just another family grift channel, issue is twitch has tighter rules than YT on that so I'm surprised the channel is still up and not suspended. Only 7000 subs too, with only a recent video hitting a million views, and Faze (known Twitch streamer) getting in contact with the dad to set up play, so it may be Twitch is in on it.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Kids get so absorbed into games and phones/tablets, you have to know how to manage that. Another thing though is putting them in front of Call of Duty when they are that young for social media hype.

Twitch is sponsoring this, what?

dr_octagon

Banned
The Matrix: We will all be plugged in and farmed. Everyone becomes AA batteries and live a life in a computer.

Reality: Gamers provide thoughtful commentary on race relations in a lobby for a videogame.

Last edited:

Jennings

I hope the child is having fun.

Though, I'm not sure the requirements to continue on and grow at this level is healthy for a child of five years. I hope the parents are able to help the kid keep focused on what's important for kids his age.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Kids are raised by phones and tablets these days. A kid spending most of their time with his face in a screen is normal.
But this is twitch. The parents know what they are doing. They are exploiting their kid for fame..
It's no different than those family youtube channels.

Last edited:
I'd never let my kid play or see COD at 5 years old, same goes for heaps of FPS/other games.

However, I don't really have an issue if the dad/parent is there the whole time and has clearly orchestrated and moderated the skirmish/stream etc. Some kids are just super competitive or skilled at young age. Can it go off the rails? Yep. Can the kid compete and enjoy? Yep. Can the parent(s) steer all that for the next 1-2 decades? Who knows.

Kids learn from their environment. Mechanics teach kids about cars from 5 years, financiers start their kids young about money matters etc. Hopefully the parent(s) are well informed and aware of what esports/streaming is capable of doing to their child. The choice of game to compete with is pretty bizarre but it is top dog. We've seen similar in terms of Hollywood child stars. It can be done but generally it results in a bad idea more often than not as those kids age and have a life.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
When I was a little lad about his age I was watching my bro play games like DOOM, Heretic and Quake and I didn't have any problem with it. Remember liking the cacodemons (cute!) and how cool the magic stuff in Heretic was to me.

Think I didn't get too scared with a game until Ocarina of Time's Deku Tree, which was tense as fuck for me back then (7 y/o).

Thing is, game nowadays look much more realistic than those I'm talking about, so it could be different for him. Also, military stuff... Might be brainwashing the little kid if just a bit.

TLZ

Banned
When I was a little lad about his age I was watching my bro play games like DOOM, Heretic and Quake and I didn't have any problem with it. Remember liking the cacodemons (cute!) and how cool the magic stuff in Heretic was to me.

Think I didn't get too scared with a game until Ocarina of Time's Deku Tree, which was tense as fuck for me back then (7 y/o).

Thing is, game nowadays look much more realistic than those I'm talking about, so it could be different for him. Also, military stuff... Might be brainwashing the little kid if just a bit.
The problem for me isn't just the game, but more the intense and immense mental pressure and stress being exposed to twitch and multiplayer gaming, especially a game like this. Too much for a kid his age.

An avalanche of shit pouring on his little brain.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
it's COD. you do realize what COD stands for right?
Children's
Daycare
Neo
Gay
As
Fuck

Makes sense now. :lollipop_content:

The problem for me isn't just the game, but more the intense and immense pressure and stress being exposed to twitch and multiplayer gaming, especially a game like this. Too much for a kid his age.
Hobestly, I wonder if a kid at that age is even ble to feel that kind of pressure. Maybe he isn't even aware of it.

Hopefully, at least. If that's not the case then poor lad.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Neo
Gay
As
Fuck

Makes sense now. :lollipop_content:

Hobestly, I wonder if a kid at that age is even ble to feel that kind of pressure. Maybe he isn't even aware of it.

Hopefully, at least. If that's not the case then poor lad.
It's too overwhelming for his little developing brain to take and comprehend.

TintoConCasera

It's too overwhelming for his little developing brain to take and comprehend.
But are you sure he has that kind of pressure? Maybe he's just having fun while playing CoD.

Or maybe the pressure comes from his parents, guess we'll never know. In any case, I think we can agree that a kid at that age should be doing other kind of stuff. Hopefully the streaming doesn't take most of his free time.

Edit: Kind stranger... I really, really hope for you to get your genitalia stimulated today by that special person you really like. You really deserve that, and much more. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I guess playing COD is better than all the kids that are playing GTA5 and all the other unsuitable stuff they are probably viewing on their tablets.

Most parents let tablets parent their kids now days.

I hope the kid is having fun and not being exploited though.

But I do agree that COD is unsuitable for a 5 year old.

Edit: looked up the YouTube channel, turns out he is 8 years old, still don't think it is suitable.

But I was playing mortal Kombat on the megadrive when I was younger, then again the graphics are really primitive in comparison & I'm sure many of us were playing mk back as children, we had a movie, cartoon and action figures that I use to collect from Bwise as a child :)

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:

Needlecrash

A 5 (he's 8 apparently) year old playing Call of Duty....? And he's sponsored too? This won't end well. As a dad.....I refuse to expose my 6 year old to that shit. Why is a 5 year old playing a game made for 17+ year olds?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
This is child labor, there are real world laws against this.

I guess Twitch wants to expand it's audience in ways other people wouldn't dream of an audience that shouldn't ever be reached... because they have taste and they have fucking sense.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
100% of the money going to the parents.

Green rats is going to play with PCMR mouse + keyboard and these kids in the future, good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom