• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Years Ago Today, Brian Wilson Abandoned The Beach Boys "SMiLE"

On the eve of the 50th anniversary of one of the most influential recordings in the history of pop music, I think we should take a look back on the album that didn't make it.

smile2002.jpg

SMiLE was the intended follow up to The Beach Boys critically acclaimed (yet commercially unsuccessful) Pet Sounds. Capitol Records was unhappy with Brian Wilson's creative direction and with Pet Sounds flopping, they pressurred The Beach Boys to return to more simplistic themes, such as surfing, cars, girls and other novel ideas. Brian might have had to succumb to Capitol's pressure but he had an ace up his sleeve: "Good Vibrations". The song recently topped the Billboard Hot 100 and became The Beach Boys most successful single to date.

"Good Vibrations" was a landmark piece of music both in content and in production. Brian wanted to create a pop song that resembled a symphony, by way of using unusual instrumentation and composition techniques. Different instruments were recorded at different studios across Los Angeles to take advantage of the acoustics of different rooms. The different takes were then spliced together, a revolutionary (and at the time extremely arduous) way of creating music. Most singles (or even albums) were cut in a day or two back at this time in music industry; Good Vibrations was recorded over 17 (!) different sessions over the span of 7 months (from February 17 - September 21st, 1966), with over 90 hours of various takes/instrumentation/vocals to be shrunk down to a pop song 3:35 long. It cost a reported $50,000 - $75,000 in 1966, or $370,000 - $550,000 today when adjusted for inflation.

SMiLE can be viewed as taking the approach of "Good Vibrations" and stretching it out over the course of an album. Brian claimed the album was to be "a teenage symphony to God". Teaming up with lyricist Van Dyke Parks, he sought to create a record that would essentially reflect America, from it's conception up to the present. Brian would create complex fragments of music that would all fit together, like themes or motifs found in classical music. The styles of music would range from simple rock, to jazz, to folk, to avant garde, to barbershop etc... Anything that was part of the growth and development of music in America would be represented on SMiLE. Parks would write psychedelic lyrics to match the tone of the music. Morale was high for Wilson, Parks and the musicians (better known as The Wrecking Crew), who all believed an innovative record to be taking shape before them. Even Paul McCartney ended up coming to the studio to see what The Beach Boys were creating. He ended up chewing celery as percussion for the song "Vega-Tables".

The sessions ran into a multitude of problems. The main being extreme reluctance from the rest of The Beach Boys, who were unsure of the new direction and worried about Brian's mental health. Notably, bandmate and cousin Mike Love grew frustrated with Brian's complex recording habits and wanted to get back to writing songs about surfing, cars and other previously successful ventures. Capitol Records was also growing impatient with the lack of results and radio friendly material they were hearing, further pressuring the boys to release something quickly. Brian was also having a bit of a problem with all the possible variations he had recorded. Since the album was recorded in short vignettes, there began to be too many takes to choose from. The magnitude of the project was overbearing. Not only that, he believed The Beach Boys to be involved in a friendly competition with The Beatles. Pet Sounds was the answer to Rubber Soul. Revolver was the answer to Pet Sounds. SMiLE was to be the answer to Revolver and whatever else The Beatles were working on. The negative atmosphere in the studio would weigh heavily on Brian, which in turn would begin the demise of his mental health.

Not helping matters was Brian's use of psychedelic drugs, most notably LSD. Already dealing with schizophrenia and depression, the substance abuse combined with mounting stress would create a perfect storm for the most famous pop music meltdown of all time. Key stories from this era include the recording of the song "Fire: Mrs. O'Leary's Cow". Designed to be part of "The Elemental Suite" on the album, the song was to replicate the sounds of fire. Wilson lit fires in the studio, recording the sounds, made the studio musicians wear fire helmets, and a whole other slew of insanity. During the recording though, a fire broke out at a building across the street from the studio, completely destroying the building. There were also reportedly a large number of fires throughout Los Angeles that day. Naturally, Brian was convinced his music was responsible for the fires. He took the master tape and attempted to burn it, only to find the tape wouldn't burn (he was convinced that tape was immune to fire, when in all actuality you can't burn analog tape). Or how when driving to the studio he heard Strawberry Fields Forever/A Day In The Life/got an advance copy of Sgt Peppers, listened to it and broke down crying because he knew he would be unable to top The Beatles. Who knows if any of these stories are true, but they are part of the legend that make up SMiLE.

On May 18th, 1967 the final session took place for recording the backing track to the song "Love to Say Dada" (note, LSD). The project was abandoned and would signify the beginning of the end for The Beach Boys. Sgt Peppers would release a couple weeks later and forever change popular music's landscape. The Beach Boys would release many albums over the course of the next 7 years, but Brian's involvement decreased exponentially. From there, the urban legends began about how SMiLE destroyed Wilson, leaving him depressed, overweight, abusing substances and most famously, bedridden one to three years. He was reclusive and out of the public eye for decades. A few of the tracks would end up being completed/re-recorded for different albums and low quality bootlegs would circulate for decades. Fans who obtained the bootlegs were puzzled as to the whole album fit together, with a seemingly limitless way of creating the track list. Dennis Wilson would drown in 1983, and Carl Wilson would die of cancer in 1998.

Out of nowhere in 2004 Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks revisited the album. It was completely re-recorded as close as possible to the original idea Brian had for SMiLE. 37 years after abandoning the project, "Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE" was released. The album would go on to receive critical acclaim and earn several awards and accolades. Then in 2011, "The SMiLE Sessions" would also be released to critical acclaim, compiling all of the original recordings to resemble the original intent of the album. It was like unearthing a time capsule from 44 years earlier. When comparing the two projects, it seems like SMiLE was probably 85 - 90% finished. Many questioned why the album was never released/completed at the time and critics/historians believe the future of music could have been radically different if the album had been delivered in 1967 as intended. Personally, I think SMiLE is a fantastic record, although sometimes overbearing with it's psychedelia and could have used a lot of editing. It is an important piece of music history and anyone interested owes it to themselves to listen to the greatest album that never was.

tl;dr Just Say No To Drugs.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I found out about The SMiLE Sessions just a few weeks ago because one of my friends is obsessed with Beach Boys. Do You Like Worms has gotta be one of my most played on Spotify this month. Great album.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Every time I listen to A Day In The Life, I think to myself, "I bet this was the exact moment Brian Wilson went insane." A complete genius, but the competition with The Beatles plus his mental demons were a killer.

Altazor

Brilliant album, both the demos that were released a while ago and the re-recorded version by Brian from a decade ago. I don't think, however, that it would've been commercially successful - and not even compared to Pet Sounds standard.

"Surf's Up" is a goddamn masterpiece of a song, anyway.

columnated ruins domino, bitches.

Brian playing Surf's Up on Inside Pop: The Rock Revolution

Surf's Up became one of those legendary pieces of music that everyone wanted to hear thanks to this particular clip. It was often whispered about in music circles as a mind blowing song that few were privileged to hear and was also, not surprisingly, directedly responsible for Wilson's breakdown (almost every detail about this album was responsible for his breakdown, before the internet the urban legends about SMiLE spread like wildfire)

Thanks for the positive remarks everyone, I tried my best to give this a decent write up.

tanuki

I was obsessed with this album for a good 10 years. Hearing how Brian managed to weave it all together in 2004 was incredible, even if it lacked the blend of the Beach Boys harmonies.

I gotta say, I really didn't like how the Smile Sessions box set turned out. Something about the way it was mixed, it's very trebly sounding. Much prefer the various bits that were released on the Good Vibrations 30 years box set and the twofer CDs.

Also, the 1971 Surf's Up that Carl Wilson patched together is the definitive one for me. That Moog bass he overdubbed onto the second half is so good.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Personally prefer the rerecorded version to Sessions. Either one is great. I adore this album.

Brilliant album, both the demos that were released a while ago and the re-recorded version by Brian from a decade ago. I don't think, however, that it would've been commercially successful - and not even compared to Pet Sounds standard.

It's hard to say really. You look at Sgt Peppers, The Doors & Strange Days, Are You Experienced etc... and it seems right at home. Then again, Forever Changes and The Velvet Underground & Nico were released and failed to do anything. I think that after the success of Good Vibrations the public would have probably snatched the record up though.

Yep, Surf's Up, Vega-Tables, and Heroes And Villains are all god tier.

Another interesting video: Brian talking about the "Fire" session (w/ studio footage)

Great video that I forgot existed. Thanks for posting it!

I was obsessed with this album for a good 10 years. Hearing how Brian managed to weave it all together in 2004 was incredible, even if it lacked the blend of the Beach Boys harmonies.

I gotta say, I really didn't like how the Smile Sessions box set turned out. Something about the way it was mixed, it's very trebly sounding. Much prefer the various bits that were released on the Good Vibrations 30 years box set and the twofer CDs.

Also, the 1971 Surf's Up that Carl Wilson patched together is the definitive one for me. That Moog bass he overdubbed onto the second half is so good.

I agree with pretty much all of this. The Smile Sessions mix is a bit inconsistent, but I'll take it over the 2004 any day just because of the Boys vocal harmonies. They can't be topped.

Smiley Smile is an essential listen if you like The Smile Sessions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRESp8aLO0

It's interesting to see after SMiLE fell apart what a huge 180 Brian did in recording Smiley Smile. One is intrinsically orchestrated and layered while the other is minimalist. I think Smiley Smile is definitely creepier and really shows how damaging the failure of SMiLE was on Brian's mentality. It just sounds like serious mental illness.

Altazor

It's hard to say really. You look at Sgt Peppers, The Doors & Strange Days, Are You Experienced etc... and it seems right at home. Then again, Forever Changes and The Velvet Underground & Nico were released and failed to do anything. I think that after the success of Good Vibrations the public would have probably snatched the record up though.

You're right, though I think SMiLE would've been considered a step too far for The Beach Boys in the eyes of the public. To me, the difference (in terms of sound/musical style) between Revolver and Sgt. Pepper is smaller than the one between Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

In any case, this is all an exercise in conjecture and what-ifs.

Gazunta

Mike Love should be rotting in the Hague.

Thanks for reminding me about this. It's absolutely insane that I am borderline evangelical about Pet Sounds but haven't listened to this in any version yet. Will rectify ASAP. Great OP!

Fireblend

Banned
The 2004 album is real good, and Pet Sounds is one of the best albums ever made. Might give both a listen tomorrow. Wilson was right about The Beatles though, at that point in their career they were at their insuperable best.

Elija2

A great album with some great songs, even though many of them were sadly left unfinished.

I'm not really a fan of the Smile Sessions version of the album. It's all in mono (which I don't really blame them for since they didn't always have master tapes to source things from) and they made a few weird changes from what was likely Brian's original intended song structures in order to sequence it similarly to his 2004 solo version. It's still preferable to listening to the 2004 version just because it's the real thing, but there are fanmixes that sequence the album a bit better.

I think that Pet Sounds is a better album but sometimes I wonder what Smile could have been if Brian was able to finish it back in the day, and what The Beach Boys' subsequent albums could have been if Smile did end up being a success. I still love Brian's later work with The Beach Boys and as a solo artist, but his music definitely stopped being as ambitious after Smile and it's saddening to imagine the potentially groundbreaking music we were robbed of.

rinker

Someone help me out I'm going crazy... I just listened to like five different versions of good vibrations, but none seem like the version I'm used to. I'm thinking of a version where the drums are way heavier and there's a part where it slows down and someone in a speaking voice says "new tempo". Am I thinking of a different song?

Elija2

Someone help me out I'm going crazy... I just listened to like five different versions of good vibrations, but none seem like the version I'm used to. I'm thinking of a version where the drums are way heavier and there's a part where it slows down and someone in a speaking voice says "new tempo". Am I thinking of a different song?

Are you thinking of this live version? The "new tempo" thing tipped me off because it sounded exactly like the kind of on-stage banter Mike Love would always do at their shows.

This thread reminds me, was that Brian Wilson movie a couple of years ago any good ?

I was surprised Paul Dano didn't get an Oscar nod. They probably should have just done the whole movie with him instead of him playing young Brian and John Cusack playing older Brian. I would check it out, it does a real good job of looking at the time from Pet Sounds until the demise of Smile. The 80s part isn't too great but the Wilson-Landy relationship was too messed up to ignore completely.

DonShula

Fascinating. Thank you for the post.

I've never been much of a musician. But it seems crazy to me that musicians could be in competition over... sales? Chart success? Whatever it was, it seems antithetical to the traditional reason for making music. I don't understand it but find it interesting.

I just saw Brian Wilson a couple of weeks ago. He performed Pet Sounds in its entirety as well as the Beach Boys' other hit songs. It was an incredible set. The guy is a genius. What happened to him is devastating.

Also, regarding Love & Mercy, I thought it was awesome. I learned some new things about Brian; I didn't know that he was deaf in one ear and I didn't know that his father was the band's manager and that they fired him.

Great OP!

Smile Sessions is practically a masterpiece, even though it's an unfinished album. You could argue it's the best album released this decade. Good Vibrations, Surf's Up, Vege-Tables, Heroes and Villians, Cabin Essence. To think all of these incredible songs were meant for one album. (The rest isn't too shabby either!) Most artists would kill for this kind of magical output. Brian Wilson is/was an musical genius. So sad to see what he had to go through with his mental issues.

Fascinating. Thank you for the post.

I've never been much of a musician. But it seems crazy to me that musicians could be in competition over... sales? Chart success? Whatever it was, it seems antithetical to the traditional reason for making music. I don't understand it but find it interesting.

It was more of a friendly competition as both bands hung out frequently when on the same continent, but also a lot of it had to do with the British invasion. The Beach Boys were kind of the only American rock band going toe to toe with the British rock scene.

Smile Sessions is practically a masterpiece, even though it's an unfinished album. You could argue it's the best album released this decade. Good Vibrations, Surf's Up, Vege-Tables, Heroes and Villians, Cabin Essence. To think all of these incredible songs were meant for one album. (The rest isn't too shabby either!) Most artists would kill for this kind of magical output. Brian Wilson is/was an musical genius. So sad to see what he had to go through with his mental issues.

I'd expect to see this album ranked somewhere within the top 20 on the end of the decade lists.

Altazor

Man, Cabin Essence is another one of those songs I just love. It completely transports me to the USA despite I've never been there.

have you seen the Grand Coulee/Coolie workin' on the railroad...

So many little beautiful moments. I Wanna Be Around, the last minute of Holiday, CHILD IS THE FATHER OF THE MAN kicking in on Surfs Up <3

There's musicians today still trying to accomplish what the Beach Boys did 50 years ago in these scattered demos. Absolute fucking brilliance.

Fun fact: Paul McCartney can be heard munching on celery on Vege-tables

Every time I get the inspiration to go change things around
No one wants to help me look for places where new things might be found

Where can I turn when my fair weather friends cop out?
What's it all about?

Every time I get the inspiration to go change things around
No one wants to help me look for places where new things might be found

Where can I turn when my fair weather friends cop out?
What's it all about?
The first time I heard the chorus sing "Sometimes I feel very sad" I got a semi-existential crisis about what i was doing with my life. Eversince, Brian Wilson and specially the entirity of Pet Sounds got a special place in my heart

thefro

The big what-if there is the Beach Boys were originally scheduled to headline/close the Monterrey Pop Festival in June 1967. If Brian would have shown up and been able to perform a completed version of Smile there with the Beach Boys it would have probably went over very well and probably would have pushed the album to be commercially successful.

Top Bottom