• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

minx

I have the X2's shipping today from Amazon and I was wondering this also! Great questions. Did you buy the V-MODA mic and headset adapter? I did not get those yet but noticed the mic is 7-13 days shipping.

I have yet to pull the trigger yet on the X2 as I'm trying to see if the X1 will go back to the $160 range, however I already ordered the V-Moda mic as I know I will be using it and it's already on back order.

ParityBit

I have yet to pull the trigger yet on the X2 as I'm trying to see if the X1 will go back to the $160 range, however I already ordered the V-Moda mic as I know I will be using it and it's already on back order.

My problem with the Pro is the wires. I was going to look into picking up a wireless 5.8 IF I can find one, and if it is good.

The Mixamp Pro. I have a little one running around my house and I can not really have the wire from my headset going across the living room to plug into the front of the device.

This is why I am looking at the wireless solutions.

Sorry if I was unclear :)

Ah, I read it as if you were having issues with the V-Moda BoomPro :p

Tommy DJ

In any case, I am shocked at how good it sounds. It's very close to the sonic signature of my Beyerdynamic T1's actually, only with a touch more sub bass, and a slighter airier overall sound.

That's because both have a sharp 5dB+ spike at 8kHz.

Reference grade they definitely are not but the K551 and K550 are actually good headphones provided you don't get a shit one/do some mods to push down the treble energy in the K551.

HiResDes

Reference grade they definitely are not but the K551 and K550 are actually good headphones provided you don't get a shit one/do some mods to push down the treble energy in the K551.
They just came out with the K553, which are on Massdrop now. They're supposed to have better controlled treble.

nib95

Banned

I like that spike, and don't feel they have any shrill or harshness. Then again the DAC I run them through, sounds a touch more mellow running optical than it does USB, in the same way certain tube amps do. As someone who's tested numerous expensive headphones and amps, one thing I've come to realise is that there is no definitive reference guideline the way there is for cinema for example, where you can calibrate to a set standard.

With headphones, it's all subjective. The Audeze cans for example, despite being loved by many, are too dark for me. Lacking detailing and sound stage. The HD800's I find sound too airy and impersonal, and have more of a sharpness than even the T1's, despite lacking as much of an end of spectrum spike.

425x340px-594c85e3_graphCompare2.php.png

I like that spike, and don't feel they have any shrill or harshness. Then again the DAC I run them through, sounds a touch more mellow running optical than it does USB, in the same way certain tube amps do. As someone who's tested numerous expensive headphones and amps, one thing I've come to realise is that there is no definitive reference guideline the way there is for cinema for example, where you can calibrate to a set standard.

With headphones, it's all subjective. The Audeze cans for example, despite being loved by many, are too dark for me. Lacking detailing and sound stage. The HD800's I find sound too airy and impersonal, and have more of a sharpness than even the T1's, despite lacking as much of an end of spectrum spike.

425x340px-594c85e3_graphCompare2.php.png

I agree with you that the HD800s can be pretty sharp, however the Norne Draug 2's sorted that out. Or if you have a tube amp (which i dont).

Surprised you think the Audeze lack detail - the LCD3F's are the best headphones ive heard hands down (Though am yet to really audition a pair of Abyss or SR009's)

Bass Slam + Detail + warmth of the LCD3s are why i love them so much.

Bacon

Hey guys I'm interested in buying closed, over ear headphones in the $100-$200 range for my commute and office. I listen to hip hop almost exclusively. Any suggestions? Thanks fellas.

Skittles

My x2s are on the way. Ordered them just as prime shipping became available(was a wait of like 2-3 weeks beforehand). Can't wait till they get here!

HiResDes

Hey guys I'm interested in buying closed, over ear headphones in the $100-$200 range for my commute and office. I listen to hip hop almost exclusively. Any suggestions? Thanks fellas.
You could save a bit of money and grab some JVC S680s and Brainwavz Hm5 replacement pads, replace the pads on the JVC and have an amazing sounding cheap unit. I'd also recommend the SoundMagic HD150, ADL H118, and Audio Technica WS-99 (you'd wanna replace their pads with HM5 ones as well though)

Bacon

You could save a bit of money and grab some JVC S680s and Brainwavz Hm5 replacement pads, replace the pads on the JVC and have an amazing sounding cheap unit. I'd also recommend the SoundMagic HD150, ADL H118, and Audio Technica WS-99 (you'd wanna replace their pads with HM5 ones as well though)

Went ahead and ordered these. Thanks des

Tommy DJ

Whether or not you like a headphone or not is definitely subjective. No doubt about that, people hate different sound signatures. The thing with those examples are that a lot of those problems can be explained pretty objectively.

One of the things I like about reviewers that provide measurements is that it helps provide a frame of reference to descriptions. I actually read a lot of Stereophile stuff for this reason since it helps me understand where the reviewer (eg. John Atkinson) is coming from and if he or she is actually coherent. Tyll is a similarly good reviewer for this reason too since you can actually make educated buying decisions off his reviews.

If you remember, older Audeze headphones had issues with regards to drivers/driver matching. You probably remember people describing Audeze headphones as the equivalent to AM radio - this wasn't a joke if you listened to one that lost the driver roulette. Two people with completely different opinions could actually be simultaneously right because they're really talking about a headphone that isn't terribly consistent. The LCD3-F that Phat Michael brings up reportedly resolved a lot of driver consistency issues.

Same with the HD800. The graph you posted actually highlights the issue people have with the HD800. For the HD800, the spike occurs earlier at 6-7kHz, which is where perceived glare, sharpness, and sibilance exists for most people. You also have sample variance, with some exhibiting more resonance and poor(er) decay time around that frequency range than others. Either way, it's that specific spike at specific frequency range that gets a not-insignificant number of people trying to tame it with tubes and Anaxilus' creatology foam mod.

Whether you find these things a problem is subjective but I don't think the problems you describe are as subjective as you think as the measurements actually, more or less, confirm your opinions. If that makes sense.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Anyone have any experience using Custom IEMs as a daily driver...like on public transportation and work, etc?

Very tempted to pull the trigger on the 1964 Qi as my first set of customs, but I'm curious if it's generally a shitty idea to put that much physical mileage on them.

Customs are incredible at attenuating outside noise (seriously, I can operate a wet saw, or mow the lawn and preserve my hearing/my music comes through nice and clear) but I would seriously either research the pair in question or find some way to audition the phones because once you get them, if you don't like the sound sig, you're straight up boned in terms of resale value (often times you have to sell at half the price you paid, and even then, sometimes people just aren't interested). With that said, there are some pseudo custom designs (universal fits that are ergonomically shaped like customs) out there that are really excellent at attenuating noise. My current favorite is the EarWerkz Supra with the Linum Bax cable. Super tiny design, excellent sound quality, amazing build quality, fair price, and the cable is unbelievably light (it's basically like fishing line)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Customs are incredible at attenuating outside noise (seriously, I can operate a wet saw, or mow the lawn and preserve my hearing/my music comes through nice and clear) but I would seriously either research the pair in question or find some way to audition the phones because once you get them, if you don't like the sound sig, you're straight up boned in terms of resale value (often times you have to sell at half the price you paid, and even then, sometimes people just aren't interested). With that said, there are some pseudo custom designs (universal fits that are ergonomically shaped like customs) out there that are really excellent at attenuating noise. My current favorite is the EarWerkz Supra with the Linum Bax cable. Super tiny design, excellent sound quality, amazing build quality, fair price, and the cable is unbelievably light (it's basically like fishing line)

From what I've read, the Qi has the signature I'd be after (but to your point, a graph isn't a sound-test), but they also seem to be the most reasonably affordable set that comes with high praise.

The Qi's when all said and done should come to just shy of $600, and the impressions should probably cost ~$100 or less, so I'm looking at a reasonable investment if I go with them.

Admittedly have no idea where I could possibly go to try out IEMs. Where would one typically look for this kind of thing?

From what I've read, the Qi has the signature I'd be after (but to your point, a graph isn't a sound-test), but they also seem to be the most reasonably affordable set that comes with high praise.

The Qi's when all said and done should come to just shy of $600, and the impressions should probably cost ~$100 or less, so I'm looking at a reasonable investment if I go with them.

Admittedly have no idea where I could possibly go to try out IEMs. Where would one typically look for this kind of thing?

$600 isn't too bad, depending on how good they sound (and do be aware that customs aren't necessarily "better" than universals from an SQ standpoint since they utilize the same technology). Impressions should cost about $50 on average, I'd shop around, but do be aware of the pains of getting customs as well, since they will likely not fit perfectly the first time you get them, which will likely necessitate playing tag with the company as you ship your phones back and forth to get them adjusted. I followed the impressions process that UE sent me to a T, and it still wasn't perfect AFTER I sent mine back for readjustment.

As for how to try them out, if it's a larger company, sometimes you can find an office to demo them at, or sometimes the company will allow you to demo them in home once you put down a deposit. Lastly, sometimes companies will host "review" tours where they'll sign up volunteers to demo the phones for free in exchange for written reviews. I know Perfect Seal is hosting one right now at HF if you're interested in that process.

Talon

affordable headphones with good sound quality and noise cancellation?
Affordable and ANC are incompatible.

Some would argue good sound quality and ANC are incompatible - besides those PSB-2s - but the ANC isn't nearly as good as Bose's black magic.

Bacon

Awesome I think you'll be happy, what color did you pick? I like the white ones, pretty sexy

Went with black because they were the cheapest option lol. Looks have never been much of a concern for me with headphones, that would just be a nice bonus! Looking forward to getting them in though, they should be here by next week, I'll be sure to let you know how I like them.

GO 450 > Leckerton UHA 6S MK II > Ortofon EQ-8. This combo is stupidly good sounding, and it keeps up with the UERM in nearly every aspect (aside from treble, where the UERM is still crisper, but by the same token, a bit less forgiving).

I'm meeting up with a friend later to listen to the Sony ZX2 Walkman and the Noble K10 universal. I'm expecting him to be completely floored by this setup

mr stroke

Can anyone recommend a quality online store to buy high end cables & adapters?

I need a 3.5mm to 6.3 mm quality adapter. Everyone I have bought off Amazon or Monoprice ends up breaking.

What kind of headphones are yall using while lifting weights? I've been using my porta pros for a while now and i feel like upgrading. I dont think i can use earbuds while lifting anymore because of the ear pain i get.

HiResDes

What kind of headphones are yall using while lifting weights? I've been using my porta pros for a while now and i feel like upgrading. I dont think i can use earbuds while lifting anymore because of the ear pain i get.
I used to work out in KSC25 before earphones, but those are cheaper and possibly inferior to the portapro in some regards.

Can anyone recommend a quality online store to buy high end cables & adapters?

I need a 3.5mm to 6.3 mm quality adapter. Everyone I have bought off Amazon or Monoprice ends up breaking.

Not cheap, but you did say you wanted quality lol:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Furutech-F63-S-3-5-mm-6-3-1-4-8-adapter?manufacturer_id=12

I'm not sure whether Oyaide makes any adapters, but they're one of my favorites for plugs

Oh yeah, and Brian Goto will also build you custom cables to spec if you can't find what you're looking for:

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609202&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

mr stroke

Not cheap, but you did say you wanted quality lol:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Furutech-F63-S-3-5-mm-6-3-1-4-8-adapter?manufacturer_id=12

I'm not sure whether Oyaide makes any adapters, but they're one of my favorites for plugs

Oh yeah, and Brian Goto will also build you custom cables to spec if you can't find what you're looking for:

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609202&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

bought, thanks

And they aren't that expensive compared to some companies out there(Audio Quest, Monster, etc...)

Duxxy3

I'd probably go meelectronic M6 with a pair of comply SX-200 foam tips. The M6's will stay on your ears and the S series foam tips are the most comfy tips I've used.

Obviously not top of the line in ears, but I wouldn't expect much for work out headphones. Just that they stay on and they're relatively easy to replace if something happens.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Man I'd love to own those B&W P7's but those fuckers never go on sale. Their idea of a sale is 1 penny off.

minx

Impulse bought Fidelio X2. They a super comfortable and great for the music I listen to. However, not as much bass as I expected and not a crazy upgrade over the Grado 125. Can anyone answer if a Mixamp is worth it for Dolby Headphone for gaming? I also have loss of audio for a split second when plugged into Xbox One headphone adapter, anyone have this issue before?

Man I'd love to own those B&W P7's but those fuckers never go on sale. Their idea of a sale is 1 penny off.

If it helps, they are worth every damn penny.

- Incredible detailed sound.
- Performance is great with any genre of music.
- They scream quality from a mile of distance, which is confirmed once you hold them and wear them.
- They look beautiful.
- Are very comfortable.

For me, B&W P7 will be for sure my portable headphones until they break (I hope it doesn't happen).

SeSame

Neo Member
Quoting for new page:
Hi phonesGAF!

Short backstory:
For a few years now, I've been using JBL J88 headphones. When I bought them, I didn't really care and just picked them randomly, and I guess they're not very good?
Now they broke and I want to get good heaphones for listening to classical music.

Please help me decide between
Teufel Areol Real - 100€
and
Sony MDR-MA900 - 200€

I've heard good things about those two, mainly that they are neutral, clear and have great soundstage.
Question is, are the Sonys worth double the price?

I might be able to get a used pair of Sonys for about 140€ - that would be a good deal I assume. (EDIT: but then again I can get the Teufel for 80€)
Has anyone had any experience with any of those two?

Thank you

Top Bottom