• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Quoting for new page:

I've been using the MA900 exclusively for the past 2 years, paired with a Schiit Magni and Modi

They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever used since they weigh practically nothing. Don't worry about the build quality, these headphones have held up even though I've dropped them on a hard floor over 6 times from 3 feet.

I haven't used the other one, but the MA900 had a really big soundstage which pairs well with most music. I listen to mostly orchestral, with some rock, electronic, and pop added in.

HiResDes

So, I decided against the AKGs and am now looking at the DT770 Pro. Any thoughts?
These were one of my first real headphones. They're big comfy headphones with a a lot of soft mid bass, fairly extended highs and a bit recessed mids. They aren't the clearest, but they're pretty fun. I actually found the bass to be irksome after a while not because of the big quantity really but because the impact didn't satisfy me enough to warrant the midrange loss.

I definitely prefer the SoundMagic HP150 to them in just about every regard.

leng jai

So part of PM-3 seems have gone wonky after about 4 days. Pics don't really show it properly:

TElIE9E.jpg

Comparison with the other side.

xtw6qp5.jpg

Stitching seems to have been bad in the first place, should I be worried about this?

Jzero

Is there anyone here that has actually tried the Fidelio X1 and X2 ? Most people say there's a noticeable difference but I'm not sure if I should upgrade yet.

XBP

So the headband of my brainwavz hm5 has started to crack. I dont know how the hell this happened as I take so much care of these headphones whenever I use them. Seems like a very common issue with these headphones to be honest. Any ideas on how I can stop the thing from breaking apart further?

Tommy DJ

Quoting for new page:

No idea about the first headphone you pointed out.

I thought the MA900 was a pretty good headphone though I probably wouldn't pay more than $150 USD for a pair new I guess. Tonally, it sounds pretty good with a decent perceived midrange emphasis not too dissimilar to the Sennheiser HD600 in my mind. Soundstage is large as a previous poster noted but I don't think its particularly natural. Placement of sound is exaggerated to extremes (eg. left, right, centre).

Bass is its weakest point and it starts to roll off very early and has no serious impact. The headphones are just too open to maintain any pressure for serious bass. Fortunately, this probably won't be a huge problem for non-orchestral classical music. I would hazard a guess that most people wouldn't find this problem to be a problem for even orchestral, unless you really want to feel that hammerblow in Mahler's Sixth Symphony.

How much can you find second hand Sennheiser HD600s for? I recommend looking for a pair to demo and calibrating your value barometer to those. In the same vein, the HD558 and HD598 are also worth looking into.

Bloodember

So the headband of my brainwavz hm5 has started to crack. I dont know how the hell this happened as I take so much care of these headphones whenever I use them. Seems like a very common issue with these headphones to be honest. Any ideas on how I can stop the thing from breaking apart further?

If still under warranty contact them about it, if not glue.

So part of PM-3 seems have gone wonky after about 4 days. Pics don't really show it properly:

TElIE9E.jpg

Comparison with the other side.

xtw6qp5.jpg

Stitching seems to have been bad in the first place, should I be worried about this?
I can't see it Man. I have the white ones and the build quality is really good. The only negative on mine is the shitty spare free android cable that came with it.

Tommy DJ

One side has exposed stitching while the other side is obviously tighter and hidden. Basically inconsistent stitching.

If its getting worse, go back to the retailer and make your concerns known. Audiophile stores live and die by their customer service so if you bought it from a proper audiophile store, they should give you appropriate warranty service. If they don't do anything, complain on stereo.net.au.

leng jai

I'd return it while it's still fresh. Blown stitching would suck to have to deal with later down the line

I can't see it Man. I have the white ones and the build quality is really good. The only negative on mine is the shitty spare free android cable that came with it.

One side has exposed stitching while the other side is obviously tighter and hidden. Basically inconsistent stitching.

If its getting worse, go back to the retailer and make your concerns known. Audiophile stores live and die by their customer service so if you bought it from a proper audiophile store, they should give you appropriate warranty service. If they don't do anything, complain on stereo.net.au.

Yep, basically what Tommy said. It's just a cosmetic issue now but I could see it getting worse. I emailed Addicted to Audio about and they said that their demo unit shows similar inconsistency on the headband. Means they won't be doing anything about it unless it gets worse I guess.

Phat Michael can you check your headband and see if the stitching in smooth and tight the whole way?

Yep, basically what Tommy said. It's just a cosmetic issue now but I could see it getting worse. I emailed Addicted to Audio about and they said that their demo unit shows similar inconsistency on the headband. Means they won't be doing anything about it unless it gets worse I guess.

Phat Michael can you check your headband and see if the stitching in smooth and tight the whole way?
Sure when I get home I'll take snaps of both sides and post em like you did.

250 Ohm version. I have amps and this would 100% be desktop use.

I have the DT 770 250ohm and have been quite happy with them after putting them through an AMP/DAC. Without one I found them way too over powering and nearly regretted buying them. I find the bass emphasis to still be there, but not nearly as bad.

HiResDes

I have the DT 770 250ohm and have been quite happy with them after putting them through an AMP/DAC. Without one I found them way too over powering and nearly regretted buying them. I find the bass emphasis to still be there, but not nearly as bad.
This is accurate. Solid States are the way to go for them too. They don't need any more warmth. Bass is thick and lacks technical speed/decay. Also the subbass is overshadowed by the mid bass. They're comfortable as hell and have good treble extension, though slightly peaky.

SeSame

Neo Member
I've been using the MA900 exclusively for the past 2 years, paired with a Schiit Magni and Modi

They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever used since they weigh practically nothing. Don't worry about the build quality, these headphones have held up even though I've dropped them on a hard floor over 6 times from 3 feet.

I haven't used the other one, but the MA900 had a really big soundstage which pairs well with most music. I listen to mostly orchestral, with some rock, electronic, and pop added in.

No idea about the first headphone you pointed out.

I thought the MA900 was a pretty good headphone though I probably wouldn't pay more than $150 USD for a pair new I guess. Tonally, it sounds pretty good with a decent perceived midrange emphasis not too dissimilar to the Sennheiser HD600 in my mind. Soundstage is large as a previous poster noted but I don't think its particularly natural. Placement of sound is exaggerated to extremes (eg. left, right, centre).

Bass is its weakest point and it starts to roll off very early and has no serious impact. The headphones are just too open to maintain any pressure for serious bass. Fortunately, this probably won't be a huge problem for non-orchestral classical music. I would hazard a guess that most people wouldn't find this problem to be a problem for even orchestral, unless you really want to feel that hammerblow in Mahler's Sixth Symphony.

How much can you find second hand Sennheiser HD600s for? I recommend looking for a pair to demo and calibrating your value barometer to those. In the same vein, the HD558 and HD598 are also worth looking into.

Ok, thanks a lot for your advice.

The HD 600 are probably out of my price range, because I also have to buy dac+amp (been listening to my jbl j88 via my crappy onboard realtek soundcard for now).
But the HD 598 might be just what I'm looking for, thank you.

This is accurate. Solid States are the way to go for them too. They don't need any more warmth. Bass is thick and lacks technical speed/decay. Also the subbass is overshadowed by the mid bass. They're comfortable as hell and have good treble extension, though slightly peaky.

I felt weird using an amp/dac (Magni/Modi) with a headphone that doesn't need to be powered (via MacBook and iPhone) but I just found controlling that power output resulted in a much more enjoyable experience. And at least I'm set up for the next step up like HE400

XBP

Yes but it says on their site to contact to the reseller in case of warranty claims. So I'm pretty sure they'll forward me to mp4nation.

SeSame

Neo Member
MA900 are better than the 598 in my estimation.
Ok thank you, I have already been wondering about this:
Bass is its weakest point and it starts to roll off very early and has no serious impact.
because I read everywhere that the bass is exceptionally good for open headphones.

So I think I'll be going with those Sonys. They only have 12ohm so an amp would not be essential, would it?
I will need a DAC though, so I was thinking I might buy the HiFiMeDIY Sabre from the recommendations list.

HiResDes

Neither have the strongest bass, but it's even lighter on the 598. The Sony's have just a little midbass boost that makes them a bit warmer than neutral. You don't need an amp for the Sony, but both are pretty good without one actually. The Sennheiser scale more.

Tommy DJ

I don't know who in the world thinks the bass in the Sony MA900 is good for open headphones. Subjectively, they don't have a lot of bass but what's there is pretty alright and, most importantly, I don't think it interferes with the rest of the headphone. Objectively, you only have to look at their frequency response to know that the bass doesn't go that far down.

I probably didn't mention or make clear in previous posts but I think the Sony MA900 are a little better than the HD598s. The Sennheiser suggestions were there so you could make a decision whether to spend that much on a pair of headphones.

Anyway, the MA900 just have better articulation all round because the shitty bass in the HD598 makes it sound like AM radio compared to a good number of slightly to moderately more expensive headphones.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
El-8s just arrived.
And it took all my self control to tell my awesome UPS guy to deny it and have it sent back.

So close, so very close.

SnakeXs

Why again?

I'm taking a 6 month sabbatical of sorts. Gonna be on my beach house in Greece. No running electricity, so I definitely won't have amps and even my notebook, most like. Just didn't make sense to buy headphones like that and pack them away for more than half a year. I had emailed RazorDog to cancel the order a while ago and they accidentally shipped it out anyway.

I'm taking a 6 month sabbatical of sorts. Gonna be on my beach house in Greece. No running electricity, so I definitely won't have amps and even my notebook, most like. Just didn't make sense to buy headphones like that and pack them away for more than half a year. I had emailed RazorDog to cancel the order a while ago and they accidentally shipped it out anyway.
Would be perfect with a portable amp and your mobile. You won't be able to charge anything?

SnakeXs

I'll be bringing a solar panel/battery so it's possible but its not worth the headache and risk, sadly. Utterly tempting though.

If only he had Beach House in his beach house.

I'm sorry. At least now I know what to listen to tonight, Teen Dream it is!

Excellent album. Beach House is one of my faves to test out on new phones due to the copious amount of reverb on all of their albums, super immersive stuff. Devotion would be a great album to listen to while lazing on the beach

Jzero

If only he had Beach House in his beach house.

I'm sorry. At least now I know what to listen to tonight, Teen Dream it is!

Excellent album. Beach House is one of my faves to test out on new phones due to the copious amount of reverb on all of their albums, super immersive stuff. Devotion would be a great album to listen to while lazing on the beach

It's all about Bloom son.

SnakeXs

I love me some Beach House, gents. Both Teen Dream* and Bloom. :D

The better album

Yeah, Bloom is amazing. I probably prefer it to Teen Dream. BH is plain amazing, I'll always be grateful for picking up TD on a lam all those years ago. First time I played it was a WTF moment. I was in my car and thought Victoria was a man lol, pretty androgynous voice. Was practically like an Erasure moment for me

Jzero

Both albums are amazing for tripping, too.

Fuck yes, Beach House, Pink Floyd, and Mac Demarco are my favorite trips.

Serious question about headphones: What could be the cause of small crackling in sound coming from my headphones? Same thing happens with Tidal or Spotify. It's a very short sound crack (less than a second)

Using X1s with Shiit stack i don't think i've heard it happen with speakers.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I was directed here from the PC thread as I'm looking for a gaming headset. After reading some links from the OP and looking at myself in the mirror, I'm now leaning towards getting a pair of headphones and a mic...so is it possible to get something like the DT770 and a boom mic?

(I apologise if that sounds really stupid btw).

Edit: Nevermind, found the Antlion ModMic 4.0

Lulu23

I didn't really know where else to ask and I also wasn't brave enough to open a new thread (which I'm not even sure I can do).

There are quite a few exlcusive games the Xbox One that I would like to play. Right now, my setup is a PS4 on a monitor, using the USB soundcard from a Logitech G430 with Superlux HD 668B headphones and a Zalman ModMic plugged into the PS4. I occasionally plug the headphones directly into the controller.

Now, if I were to buy an Xbox One, how could I make the sound setup work? What outputs does it have?

Bloodember

I didn't really know where else to ask and I also wasn't brave enough to open a new thread (which I'm not even sure I can do).

There are quite a few exlcusive games the Xbox One that I would like to play. Right now, my setup is a PS4 on a monitor, using the USB soundcard from a Logitech G430 with Superlux HD 668B headphones and a Zalman ModMic plugged into the PS4. I occasionally plug the headphones directly into the controller.

Now, if I were to buy an Xbox One, how could I make the sound setup work? What outputs does it have?

The Xbox One has an optical out, or you can get the stereo headphone adapter that plugs into the controller and use your headphones there.

Lulu23

The Xbox One has an optical out, or you can get the stereo headphone adapter that plugs into the controller and use your headphones there.

So that adapter will let me plug in any stereo headphones? What about if I want to use a mic?

Can I not plug any USB headset/headphones into the console and use that for chat AND game audio?

Dreaver

HeadphoneGAF,

I'm considering upgrading my current Sony MDR-V55 headphones. I spend a lot of time using headphones and I wouldn't mind some better ones. They're very decent, but they're very bass heavy and start to annoy after some time on my ears.

I'll mostly use the headphones for DJ'ing (headphone cue'ing) and gaming. This is by far the most important factor. Apart from that, I'll use them for editing videos, mixing music (Ableton) and some random music listening.

It's important that the ear cuffs separate me from outside noise as much as possible, so over ear is a req. Apart from that I don't want headphones that start to annoy quickly, my current ones do after some time. Good looks / portability is preferred, but isn't that important.

Budget: $100-150

Thinking about grabbing Audio Technica ath-m50x / m40x

Any advice?

Thanks!

Top Bottom