• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Lulu23

Thinking about grabbing Audio Technica ath-m50x / m40x

Any advice?

Thanks!

I was gonna suggest those. I tried them a couple of weeks ago and they were perfect for music. Really sturdy build and good looks. They were also pretty light and very comfortable to wear. Most importantly, the sound was amazing and very very balanced, which is perfect for your needs.
Just go with the 50x.

The Rizza

My UE Triplefi 10's recently just broke. The right earbud plays no sounds at all. Even when I take the cable from the left earbud and try putting it in the right ear bud, it still plays no sounds. Anyone have any recommendations for a pair of buds that are similar to the Triplefi's in terms of their sound? I own a pair of Ostry KC06's, Klipsch X10's and S4's, but the Triplefi's were by far my favorite.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I've narrowed down my choice to either the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or the Audio Technica m50x.

They're both the same as far as price goes (from Amazon UK) and was wondering if anyone here has had experience with both please?

My intended use is for films, music and games. (With a ModMic 4.0 for game/pc game use).

HiResDes

I've narrowed down my choice to either the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or the Audio Technica m50x.

They're both the same as far as price goes (from Amazon UK) and was wondering if anyone here has had experience with both please?

My intended use is for films, music and games. (With a ModMic 4.0 for game/pc game use).
DT 770 are a bit more comfortable, a bit more fun, and have a wider soundstage... Better for home use no doubt in my mind, but a bit harder to drive unless you get the 32 Ohm version.

MegalonJJ

Banned
DT 770 are a bit more comfortable, a bit more fun, and have a wider soundstage... Better for home use no doubt in my mind, but a bit harder to drive unless you get the 32 Ohm version.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

I'm planning to get the 80 Ohm version and a Fiio (most likely).

As far as the 80 Ohm version goes, will it need to be driven on PC/Laptop use, or more just for mobile use?

(The 32 Ohm seem to have pleather too, so...yuck).

Edit: Are the DT 770's more fun when it comes to the bass?

MRSA

Banned
I bought a pair of Xiaomi Piston 3 should be here in 2 weeks or so, from what I've read they're completely different from the 2 in that they're almost neutral not bass thumping like the 2.

HiResDes

Thanks man, much appreciated.

I'm planning to get the 80 Ohm version and a Fiio (most likely).

As far as the 80 Ohm version goes, will it need to be driven on PC/Laptop use, or more just for mobile use?

(The 32 Ohm seem to have pleather too, so...yuck).

Edit: Are the DT 770's more fun when it comes to the bass?
That's what more fun typically implies.

HiResDes

My UE Triplefi 10's recently just broke. The right earbud plays no sounds at all. Even when I take the cable from the left earbud and try putting it in the right ear bud, it still plays no sounds. Anyone have any recommendations for a pair of buds that are similar to the Triplefi's in terms of their sound? I own a pair of Ostry KC06's, Klipsch X10's and S4's, but the Triplefi's were by far my favorite.
Why not just get those or wait for the Ultimate Ears 900 to go on sale?

neos

Hello headfi gaf!

i need some advice for a gift. It's not for an audio enthusiast, will be probably hooked up to the smartphone during walks\workouts\bedtime, so i'm thinking at IEM's better that earbuds.
Let's say comfort is a big deal on this, maybe something more bass-oriented if i have to compromise on spectrum response.
Budget is around 50€

i'm all ears (eheheheh) for your advice, thanks in advance

MegalonJJ

Banned
That's what more fun typically implies.

Apologies for being a newbie but for the DT 770 (80ohm), I need a little help please.

Do the DT 770 (80) need both a dac and amp together or just one of them?

Secondly, if I need both (to get the most out of them), what's the best suited dac/amp combo for both portable and home use? (On a budget so preferably ~£60/$100 range).

I guess the Schiit Fulla looks pretty awesome and seems better than Fiio equivalents (I could be wrong here though), however is it possible to use the Schiit Fulla in a portable way?

Dreaver

I was gonna suggest those. I tried them a couple of weeks ago and they were perfect for music. Really sturdy build and good looks. They were also pretty light and very comfortable to wear. Most importantly, the sound was amazing and very very balanced, which is perfect for your needs.
Just go with the 50x.

Thanks! Might grab them. ;)

More opinions?

HiResDes

Apologies for being a newbie but for the DT 770 (80ohm), I need a little help please.

Do the DT 770 (80) need both a dac and amp together or just one of them?

Secondly, if I need both (to get the most out of them), what's the best suited dac/amp combo for both portable and home use? (On a budget so preferably ~£60/$100 range).

I guess the Schiit Fulla looks pretty awesome and seems better than Fiio equivalents (I could be wrong here though), however is it possible to use the Schiit Fulla in a portable way?
You know thinking about it, it's not really worth it to make the jump for the DT770 if you're gonna get one of the higher OHM versions because they're more source dependent. It seems more cost effective and makes a lot more sense to go with something more efficient if you're at all worried about portability. Therefore, maybe the M50x is a better choice for you. If you had a little extra money, I definitely prefer the ADL H118 and Soundmagic HP150 to the M50x just a bit, but the M50x are by no means bad headphones whatsoever. The Yamaha MT-220 are also on sale for $150, they're a bit more neutral than the M50x, but sport better clarity and a wider soundstage overall. Would definitely be better for gaming from a professional standpoint.

I'm not comfortable getting a discontinued model in case something like this were to happen again and I wasn't sure if the UE 900s were considered an upgrade or not.

What's your price range? JVC HA-FX700, Fidue A83, and TDK BA200 might be good choices especially the JVC.

MegalonJJ

Banned
You know thinking about it, it's not really worth it to make the jump for the DT770 if you're gonna get one of the higher OHM versions because they're more source dependent. It seems more cost effective and makes a lot more sense to go with something more efficient if you're at all worried about portability. Therefore, maybe the M50x is a better choice for you. If you had a little extra money, I definitely prefer the ADL H118 and Soundmagic HP150 to the M50x just a bit, but the M50x are by no means bad headphones whatsoever. The Yamaha MT-220 are also on sale for $150, they're a bit more neutral than the M50x, but sport better clarity and a wider soundstage overall. Would definitely be better for gaming from a professional standpoint.

Thank you for the awesome reply, much appreciated dude.

I really want to go for the DT 770s and have narrowed down the JDS Cmoy v2.03 for use with portable sources (I use a Sony Walkman over an ipod, and have a line out cable to bypass the walkman's internal amp).

For desktop/Laptop use I'm thinking of going for the Magni/Modi stack. (I do some video editing work and would prefer to have the 770s 80 (I know they're not ideal for final mixing/mastering) but it should work pretty well as a guide over getting something that doesn't need to be driver per se).

HiResDes

That sounds pretty well thought out the Walkman actually has a very capable built in DAC IIRC so the cmoy combo should work perfectly, no need to bypass.

MegalonJJ

Banned
That sounds pretty well thought out the Walkman actually has a very capable built in DAC IIRC so the cmoy combo should work perfectly, no need to bypass.

Cool. (I've been and still am doing binge research :))

The walkman does rule, so I'm looking forward to using it with the cmoy. Out of interest I have two ways of using it with the cmoy.

A) First method is using this line out cable to cmoy to 770s.

B) Second method is using a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm from walkman to the cmoy, then cmoy to 770s.

I'm guessing option A is more ideal but are you saying option B is the best way?

(Thank you again for the God Tier thread and help for people like myself)

For the FX700? That's not a great price TBH. Hell the used market price for the FX850 is hovering around $200. Excellent price for an excellent, excellent phone. Once modded, it's one of my all time faves for sure

Better (less recessed) midrange and less hot than the 700. Still some of the best timbral characteristics out there. More bass tho. The bass is pretty ridiculous hence the mod, which is extremely easy to implement (and remove) since it's just a strip of silicon that creates a leaky seal. James444 came up with a back vent mod that attenuates the bass even further as well, but I think the front mod works really nicely by itself. That and the cable is replaceable (tho it's one of those lame MMCX ones). I used to think the FX series was bulletproof til the cable on my FX500 just shorted out on me one day so it's nice to know that the 850 at least gives you the option to salvage things

MegalonJJ

Banned
What's the going rate in the US for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms?

I bought mine earlier from Amazon (UK) for £99(/~$145), which seems pretty damn good.

Well shit that's great news, definitely go for those then.

Yep. I mean dude:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728302/fs-jvc-fx850-w-shure-se846-stock-cable-silver-mmcx-connectors

Absolutely insane price IMO. If the OP has issues with buying used for whatever reason, you can still go through Tenso, and use Amazon.jp to score a new unit for like $250-ish. Either way, it doesn't even matter since I don't believe the FX850 was ever sold domestically so it's not like warranty would ever even enter the equation :l

The Rizza

Well shit that's great news, definitely go for those then.

Yep. I mean dude:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728302/fs-jvc-fx850-w-shure-se846-stock-cable-silver-mmcx-connectors

Absolutely insane price IMO. If the OP has issues with buying used for whatever reason, you can still go through Tenso, and use Amazon.jp to score a new unit for like $250-ish. Either way, it doesn't even matter since I don't believe the FX850 was ever sold domestically so it's not like warranty would ever even enter the equation :l

Thanks guys! These sound great

accx

Hi All,

It's been awhile since i last asked for a recommendation. I usually lurk the thread now and then to try and keep up with the latest and greatest.
Well, I'm looking for a recommendation again.

My girlfriend recently got a new job working in an open landscape kind of office.
She's been complaining about all the noise distracting her from getting work done so i suggested she bring her headphones with her. This worked for awhile but she finds them too uncomfortable to wear for long hours.
I'm not sure what type of headphones she's been using but i do know that they're over ear, and likely closed.
So i'm thinking of getting her a pair that both incorporates comfort and isolation.

The criteria then:
Perhaps IEM's? Over ear is uncomfortable for her (well the pair she's got). I'm open for suggestions on all kinds. IEM/Over Ear/On Ear. Comfort is key.
Comfortable to wear for hours on end.
Isolation (no noise reduction nonsense).
For Electronic and Hip hop music. I'll bet she's a bass head but doesn't know it yet.
Around ~$70?
Cheaper is better of course but i'm also willing to go up slightly if it would add to comfort.
Preferably available in Europe since returning would be a hassle if she decides she doesn't like them.
I'm gonna keep them for myself anyhow ;p

Thanks!

Hi All,

It's been awhile since i last asked for a recommendation. I usually lurk the thread now and then to try and keep up with the latest and greatest.
Well, I'm looking for a recommendation again.

My girlfriend recently got a new job working in an open landscape kind of office.
She's been complaining about all the noise distracting her from getting work done so i suggested she bring her headphones with her. This worked for awhile but she finds them too uncomfortable to wear for long hours.
I'm not sure what type of headphones she's been using but i do know that they're over ear, and likely closed.
So i'm thinking of getting her a pair that both incorporates comfort and isolation.

The criteria then:
Perhaps IEM's? Over ear is uncomfortable for her (well the pair she's got). I'm open for suggestions on all kinds. IEM/Over Ear/On Ear. Comfort is key.
Comfortable to wear for hours on end.
Isolation (no noise reduction nonsense).
For Electronic and Hip hop music. I'll bet she's a bass head but doesn't know it yet.
Around ~$70?
Cheaper is better of course but i'm also willing to go up slightly if it would add to comfort.
Preferably available in Europe since returning would be a hassle if she decides she doesn't like them.
I'm gonna keep them for myself anyhow ;p

Thanks!

Main thing about iems is the hassle of taking them in and out all the time. Concern there is if she has to answer the phone a lot or respond to colleagues asking questions.

HiResDes

I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic 350p or Creative Aurvana Live would be my suggestion. Honestly I don't think she wants something with absurd isolation because if someone is banging on her door she wants to be able to hear and listening to music at a reasonable volume will do most of isolating work anyway on most closed sets.

accx

Main thing about iems is the hassle of taking them in and out all the time. Concern there is if she has to answer the phone a lot or respond to colleagues asking questions.

No, not really. She's working with CS, exclusively via mail so i don't think this would be a concern.
It's also somewhat of a surprise so i can't really ask her that much about it.
She borrowed my Carbo Tenore one day, and she didn't say anything negative about them.. So i guess IEM's would be the way to go?
I can't recall if i've ever had any discomfort from IEM's either.
But as per my original post, anything's welcomed. I'm not a bass head myself so i rarely look for those. I usually go for a flat signature/highs so. I do have issues getting a perfect seal with my tenore's though which is a shame (especially on the left side)... But that's another topic.

EDIT:
Oh, and source would be from mobile. No Amps or anything so they need to be easily driven.

Thanks HiResDes, will look into it. The Beyer's are cheap here so i might try them.

HiResDes

No, not really. She's working with CS, exclusively via mail so i don't think this would be a concern.
It's also somewhat of a surprise so i can't really ask her that much about it.
She borrowed my Carbo Tenore one day, and she didn't say anything negative about them.. So i guess IEM's would be the way to go?
I can't recall if i've ever had any discomfort from IEM's either.
But as per my original post, anything's welcomed. I'm not a bass head myself so i rarely look for those. I usually go for a flat signature/highs so. I do have issues getting a perfect seal with my tenore's though which is a shame (especially on the left side)... But that's another topic.
Just get her some Xaomi Pistons and one of the above sets, get both maybe.

accx

Just get her some Xaomi Pistons and one of the above sets, get both maybe.

Hm, i might start with the Xiaomi Pistons first then. I think she'll want IEM's honestly..
However, looking at amazon there's like a ton of different models (simple version and so on)... And they seem to be riddled with fakes?
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiaomi-Earphone-Headphone-Smartphone/dp/B00O7FNEDY
Looking here i was thinking that i might get a pair of pink or white ones.. But i'm uncertain if they are different versions or if they might be fake.

Thanks for the help!

HiResDes

Hm, i might start with the Xiaomi Pistons first then. I think she'll want IEM's honestly..
However, looking at amazon there's like a ton of different models (simple version and so on)... And they seem to be riddled with fakes?
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiaomi-Earphone-Headphone-Smartphone/dp/B00O7FNEDY
Looking here i was thinking that i might get a pair of pink or white ones.. But i'm uncertain if they are different versions or if they might be fake.

Thanks for the help!
http://penonaudio.com/xiaomi-piston-3.0

Or

Tinydeal

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Wow, just won a pair of Audeze EL-8 (open-back) for my CanJam 2015 pics on Head-fi

Sweet baby Jesus do I hate you right now. :O

Congrats man. Enjoy them! And post impressions whenever you get a chance. That's fucking awesome.

MRSA

Banned

Thanks for the help!

If she's a bass head get her the Piston 2.1, the 3 are completely different. More of a neutral sound from the reviews.

I got a set of the Brainwavz Delta, they're amazing but not for a bass head.

accx

If she's a bass head get her the Piston 2.1, the 3 are completely different. More of a neutral sound from the reviews.

I got a set of the Brainwavz Delta, they're amazing but not for a bass head.

Thanks.
Do you know if any of the other colours are legit? There's a Piston colour edition that's cheap but i guess the SQ aren't as good as the 2.1/3?

HiResDes

Thanks.
Do you know if any of the other colours are legit? There's a Piston colour edition that's cheap but i guess the SQ aren't as good as the 2.1/3?
The 3s are still plenty bassy, just not as over emphasized as the 2.1, but the biggest change is their improved comfort. And there are plenty of fakes, only order from specific dealers.

SeSame

Neo Member
hi it's me again

two short questions:

1) Let's say I'm able to get Sennheiser HD600 for 200€. Better than Sony MDR-MA900? (which cost about the same)

2) Is the HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 good enough for either sony or sennheiser? Because it says on the website:
Output levels:
Open 2.2Vrms
4.7Kohm 2.1Vrms
1.8Kohm 1.9Vrms
510ohm 1.5Vrms
330ohm 1.3Vrms
30ohm 1Vrms
Note: Normally amplifier inputs are from 10K to 100K ohm. Normal headphones are from 32 ohm to 250ohm.
but the sonys have 12 ohm and the sennheiser have 300 ohm.

Any help is much appreciated!

Top Bottom