• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$510m Wiped Off Take-Two Interactive Market Cap Since GTA 6 Leak

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Take-Two-Share-Price-Down-GTA-6-1080x608.jpg.webp

The Take-Two Interactive share price has seen a loss of 2.5% upon the Nasdaq opening today, since the last close on September 16th, 2022. This is equivalent to $510 million of the company valuation.

Take-Two-Stock-Market.jpg.webp

Despite the losses, it could have been far worse, although the true cost of the leak is not yet fully understood.

Not only did “teapotuberhacker”, the username the hacker goes by, share leaks. They also reportedly have the source code for GTA VI. The source code could make hacking and cheating easier when the game finally releases.

The GTA series, as well as Take-Two Interactive itself, will unlikely see much loss long-term.

Brock2621

Is it confirmed he has the source code? It seems like these videos were pulled from a hacked slack account. I’ve been trying to find clear posted evidence from the hackers behalf confirming they indeed do have the source.

GHG

This is simply not true. It was only true very briefly pre-market today prior to them releasing a statement but since then the stock has recovered and then some. It ended up closing 0.72% higher than Friday's close.

1cgdBtC.jpg

Articles like this are so sensationalist and short sighted. Talk about jumping the gun. Wait until trading has closed for the day before making an assessment.

Time to buy.

That's come and gone.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Some people have absolutely no idea how the stock market works. That or they're just desperate to write an aritcle about absolutely nothing. For the record, TTWO stock price has been at the $121 price point 9 times since May 2022. Why is this article trying to spin normal market fluctuations into a negative situation. The article at best, is disingenuous. That or the writer has no understanding basic market principles.

TTWO
mUiQzja.png

After hours has the stock in beast mode.

Last edited:
I don't give s shit. They made enough money with GTA V/Sharkcards/ GTA Definitive Edition. I would only feel sorry If some of the devs will lose their jobs.

CamHostage

Investors pulling out of the business because the world has found out that Rockstar, after being quiet for a decade and a half, actually does have a new GTA game in the works?

Money is fucking weird. I like it better when people just made goods and other people paid for them with money they made making other goods.

All these hacks were from slack (or supposedly). I'm really not sure why anyone would share a 10,000 line text/source file via slack. Videos fair enough as they just need a quick visual most of the time.

Unless everything was just in one massive pass through one drive or something which seems a bit daft.

No, you wouldn't paste source code into Slack... but you would share your file service URL or media drive location of all your files, possibly also with the password texted to access that server.

However, I'm going to guess that the hacker got less than is leading on? Complete source code plus video files plus a compiled build for a custom engine seem like a weird thing to have all on one dropbox or github. In the old days of FTP, all of your company's work (whatever's not stored locally, at least,) could be one big "Download Now" queue away from being stolen as soon as you got the master password, but the way files are distributed and networked today (even with people working from home,) that seems less likely to me... but, not impossible.

Last edited:
Gaming sites shouldn't talk about the stock market.
It's incredible how they always jump the gun on these things with no knowledge on how this works.
Anything for clicks i guess...

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
All these hacks were from slack (or supposedly). I'm really not sure why anyone would share a 10,000 line text/source file via slack. Videos fair enough as they just need a quick visual most of the time.

Unless everything was just in one massive pass through one drive or something which seems a bit daft.
Pfft, not even
You think that password you sent over chat is safe?

Get full access to Slack and possibly local machines for cache, dump chat logs for HVTs and search for creds, or have fun with getting session tokens and stuff then using that to get around other places
Your weakest secure integration is your weakest link
No, you wouldn't paste source code into Slack... but you would share your file service URL or media drive location of all your files, possibly also with the password texted to access that server.

However, I'm going to guess that the hacker got less than is leading on? Complete source code plus video files plus a compiled build for a custom engine seem like a weird thing to have all on one dropbox or github. In the old days of FTP, all of your company's work (whatever's not stored locally, at least,) could be one big "Download Now" queue away from being stolen as soon as you got the master password, but the way files are distributed and networked today (even with people working from home,) that seems less likely to me... but, not impossible.
Even partial source code leaks is a major thing; it depends on what all of that partial contains
Any main functionality or heavily exploitable functionality is going to be lit af, and could cost the company a ton of money

Let's not go into how companies utilize their storage; too many ways to do it these days and all it takes is 1 copy in a location the bad actor has access to and it's theirs.
A good lock only keeps an honest man honest

op22

Haha. So, USA stock market investment bankers say the only AAAAAAAAA vidya in the near future bigger than Cod, Madden, Cyberpunk is worth selling to them even though buggy GTA retro garbage edition sold tens of millions?

Don't sell to CNBC/Cramer and rest of USA Wall Street unless you are brain damaged then.

Last edited:
Oh no. Poor Take Two! How ever will they recover!?

They'll be fucking fine lol. Once Rockstar shows off GTA VI properly it will sky rocket and once they actually release the game and get the new GTA Online up and running they'll be rolling in billions of dollars.

I'm no expert but might be a good time to buy in. That shit is going to explode soon.

Last edited:

op22

I wouldn't be surprised if the CEO of Rockstar released the leaks to make a fortune from shorts this year and a fortune from longs next year. Where is the FBI? They forgot how to sniff internet traffic? Was Snowden wrong about the government sniffing all internet traffic or is the government slecctively sniffing?

Last edited:

op22

How much is Rockstar getting from insurance companies is the question I would be asking if I were an FBI agent of avg iq.

Last edited:

Three

I hope the OP knows that everything is generally down. But hey, it doesn’t fit the narrative.
Don't shoot the messenger. OP just relayed the article and posted it here but the person who wrote the article seems a little clueless and quick to jump the gun.

Top Bottom