• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 years after it was shut down, PlayStation Home has been resurrected by fans

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Destination Home is a non-profit project that has been trying to resurrect Home for a number of years, and has an offline version available for download and play on either modded PS3 consoles or emulators.

However, following collaboration with the PlayStation Online Network Emulated (PSONE) fan group, Destination Home has now managed to make it possible to connect online again.

According to the group, players will be able to connect online to Home and connect to public and private lobbies again by the end of this year.

It also posted this trailer to show the restored online connection in action:

Players have been supporting the project by donating Home data from their personal PlayStation 3 consoles.

This has allowed the group to bring back a number of spaces from the original app, including the Hub, the Bowling Alley and the Playground, as well as the ability to customise apartments.

Much like the PSONE group, Destination Home is not affiliated with Sony, and refuses to take donations or any other money for its work, as it’s purely a preservation project rather than a commercial one.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Sgt.Asher

Ah took me forever to download with early 1.5mbs DSL, logged on to see almost everything cost money. I never logged in again.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Amazing, is it the same team that is doing WarHawk ?
PSONE also supports a number of other PS3 games, including Warhawk, SOCOM Confrontation, Killzone 2, Twisted Metal Black and Calling All Cars.

It’s currently in the process of trying to add more games to its server, including Resistance, Wipeout HD and Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

PSONE also supports a number of other PS3 games, including Warhawk, SOCOM Confrontation, Killzone 2, Twisted Metal Black and Calling All Cars.

It’s currently in the process of trying to add more games to its server, including Resistance, Wipeout HD and Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal.
Give me Resistance online! That game was so fun I wish I still had it

Drizzlehell

Banned
Even though I don't give two shits about PS Home, I do love when things like that happen. Game publishers are always all too eager to put a bullet in the head of their online-only games without ever releasing any source code or selling the IP, and it's why so many games with even a small but dedicated fanbase effectively get killed off, never to be played again. It's sad.

Last edited:

SteadiestShark

Neo Member
Home was actually the first thing that I booted up when I first got my PS3 Slim in 2010 so it'd be pretty cool to experience it again.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Do people not realise what playstation home was? It's essentially what Facebook renamed it's company to Meta for and Microsoft are chasing with Mesh. It was an attempt to create a shared 3D space for gamers.

It was way ahead of its time and was the next evolutionary step from things like club penguin. Obviously VR brings a whole new hand of cards to play to the table but the core idea is the same, to create a social space for multiple users within a virtual space. The diffrences from things like Second Life is who was in control where the social space is primarily used by the owner to market to you, which is exactly what Mesh and Meta will be doing.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I never understood the point. I logged in once, walked around, saw there was nothing to actually do and never returned.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS Home was slightly underrated turn and look meta, vr worlds are in early stages ps home was sort of like Facebook

I didn't spend a ton of time in Home but I enjoyed the time there.

I was all in on Xi, a clue finding ARG that me and some of my friends had fun trying to figure stuff out before the community at large.

Friends and I did use the launcher spaces for some of the online multiplayer. Was an easy way to go into a game already grouped.

I watched a couple of E3's from their dedicated spaces. Live feeds were always smooth to watch iirc.

Nostalgia glasses for sure but there was some good stuff there, even without spending any money (I spent zero).

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Do people not realise what playstation home was? It's essentially what Facebook renamed it's company to Meta for and Microsoft are chasing with Mesh. It was an attempt to create a shared 3D space for gamers.

It was way ahead of its time and was the next evolutionary step from things like club penguin. Obviously VR brings a whole new hand of cards to play to the table but the core idea is the same, to create a social space for multiple users within a virtual space. The diffrences from things like Second Life is who was in control where the social space is primarily used by the owner to market to you, which is exactly what Mesh and Meta will be doing.

1) I used incredibly similar software in the late 90s, that was when VR was first being hyped, and people attempted this crap and nobody cared
2) Playstation Home was also an attempt to market to you
3) You aren't "ahead of your time" unless the thing actually catches on lol

ManaByte

It was an attempt to sell digital sneakers and clothing to people. 2K saw that and built a sports franchise around it.

Drew1440

I never understood the point. I logged in once, walked around, saw there was nothing to actually do and never returned.
It also featured mini-multiplayer games. One I remember was Sodium which was some sort of Wipeout racing style game, there were a few others also which I can't recall.

The concept has been done before. Google had one around 2008 IIRC, Lively I think it was called and it relied on a browser plugin. Microsoft also had one that launched shortly after Windows 95 that was similar to Microsoft Chat but in a 3D like space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom