• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60s and 70s horror films (Price, Cushing, Lee etc...)

niilokin

Summer solstice is long gone now , autumn is taking hold... the smell of damp mushroomy woods and apple trees permeate the thick air, there's magic in the twilight hours... somewhere a lone hound from hell howls and barks... nothing better than to enjoy good ol horror flicks from the best era during my favourite season!

New Castle After Dark is a great youtube channel to watch some real gems. Finally watched Blood on Satan's claw and loved it!

shame there's no Wicker Man there at the moment.

wicker-man-002.jpg

EKLQZOMX0AQmb-F.jpg

p.s. 70s tits are the best

B D Joe

Slightly earlier but recently watched Vincent Price in House on Haunted Hill (1959)

From the great acting, to the glamorous women of that time it holds up really well for its age.

Also the fact the skeleton in it was apparently real gets extra spook points from me 👌

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Blood On Satan's Claw (aka Satan's Skin) is a great little movie, its kinda let down by the rushed ending but the first 2 acts have an intensity that was so rare in British horror of that period. The fantastic music by Marc Wilkinson really sets the tone.

If you're British and of a certain age to remember the late-night "Appointment with Fear" strand on TV in the 70's, this was easily one of the most memorable titles that cropped up semi-regularly. Partly because of the sheer creepyness of the movie, but a lot because of Linda Hayden's full-frontal nude scene which obviously was a big talking point in schoolyards of the time!

Its funny, Tigon's output was considered back in the day to be third-rate, way behind Hammer and Amicus, and even the British made American International films of the time, but at their best... stuff like this and Witchfinder General has probably held up as well or better than anything over the years.

Again though, I do suspect that the way Tigon product was so often on TV (likely because it was cheap!) has helped a lot in keeping their memory alive for horror fans.

niilokin

Watched "Cry of the banshee" last night, I think it was Vincent Price's last "true" horror film. I quite liked it, I love Tigon movie visuals and the setting and props are amazing. It was more like a
werewolf/werebeast
film though, which was surprising.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Watch this. It's messed up stuff.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

wp8xS3e.jpg

Great movie, probably Price's late career highlight as he really gets to chew the scenery as a hammy Shakespearean actor Edward Lionheart offing the critics who hounded him. A pitch-perfect mix of horror and humour that really gives him space to showcase his talent. The Hamlet inspired "suicide" scene is wonderfully staged and surprisingly touching despite all the camp that surrounds it.

Surprisingly gory too, which really makes it stand out next to the tameness of the (similar) Dr Phibes movies, as well as having a fantastic supporting cast of British thesps. Its also got a fucking brilliant main theme by Michael J. Lewis which stands out as one of the finest of any British horror movies, and perfectly sets the tone.

Madhouse, made around the same time isn't bad either although you really have to wonder what happened during production as its weirdly disjointed script seems to indicate significant chunks left on the cutting room floor. Still fun though.

SirTerry-T

I fucking love this film....

Plus it's got Benedict Cumberbatch's Mummy in it and Caroline Munro at her most Caroline Munro duskyness.

Last edited:

niilokin

Great movie, probably Price's late career highlight as he really gets to chew the scenery as a hammy Shakespearean actor Edward Lionheart offing the critics who hounded him. A pitch-perfect mix of horror and humour that really gives him space to showcase his talent. The Hamlet inspired "suicide" scene is wonderfully staged and surprisingly touching despite all the camp that surrounds it.

Surprisingly gory too, which really makes it stand out next to the tameness of the (similar) Dr Phibes movies, as well as having a fantastic supporting cast of British thesps. Its also got a fucking brilliant main theme by Michael J. Lewis which stands out as one of the finest of any British horror movies, and perfectly sets the tone.

Madhouse, made around the same time isn't bad either although you really have to wonder what happened during production as its weirdly disjointed script seems to indicate significant chunks left on the cutting room floor. Still fun though.
I loved the first Dr Phibes, still havent watched the sequel, but this sounds great!

Top Bottom