• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

71% of UK PS5 owners say it’s their main console, versus 48% of Xbox Series X owners, research finds

lmao your sources are nothing, why do you think 30m units are still sold if there were supply issues on Sony? their just creating this "chips" shortage to justify their increase while it was all scalpers buying all those consoles.

xbox has already confirmed this games are coming until the end of 2023:

• Age of Empire 4
• Forza Motorsport (8)
• Starfield
• Redfall
• Hellblade 2
• The Last Case of Benedict Fox
• Stalker 2 (time exclusive)
• ARK 2 (time exclusive)
• Warhammer 40K Darktide (Time Exc.)

Ghostwire Tokyo will also be heading to xbox this year, and what does playstation have to offer yet? another spider man sequel? that ain't even a console seller game

ABK acquistion would probably go this year and this would mean day one gamepass CoD/WoW and other games that they own, your playstation VR is a niche market wouldn't make a dent on consoles platform.
Oh dear god what is all this post

2tv0p6.png

omg i wonder where did those 30m console units were? probably people bought from scalpers since their were probably desperate during those "chip" shoratage time:messenger_tears_of_joy: now they saying the stocks are easing up but reality is the demand is just not high than those last 2 years
Dude...PS5 sold 10M consoles from June to December. The fastest they ever sold consoles this gen. A third of all PS5 units happened from June to December. During those 6 months.
But sure...demand isn't high.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
lmao your sources are nothing, why do you think 30m units are still sold if there were supply issues on Sony? their just creating this "chips" shortage to justify their increase while it was all scalpers buying all those consoles.

xbox has already confirmed this games are coming until the end of 2023:

• Age of Empire 4
• Forza Motorsport (8)
• Starfield
• Redfall
• Hellblade 2
• The Last Case of Benedict Fox
• Stalker 2 (time exclusive)
• ARK 2 (time exclusive)
• Warhammer 40K Darktide (Time Exc.)

Ghostwire Tokyo will also be heading to xbox this year, and what does playstation have to offer yet? another spider man sequel? that ain't even a console seller game

ABK acquistion would probably go this year and this would mean day one gamepass CoD/WoW and other games that they own, your playstation VR is a niche market wouldn't make a dent on consoles platform. And we know multi plat games like CoD is what a real console seller game is not some first party "sequel" game again LOL
Genuine advice: if you want to troll, at least put some effort into it. "Spider-Man is not even a console seller" gives it all away.

damidu

i have series x and ps5de.
applies to me as well, couple reasons why i use ps5 as main console.

- it already had a huge ps4 backlog to start the gen

- exclusives in first two years, there is like no contest there.

- graphically the difference is pretty much irrelevant between platforms, so i keep using it for third party games as well, as i prefer dualsense

- expanding the storage was much cheaper compared to overpriced proprietary way ms went.
especially if you have a series s you can have like 4 games installed on the thing. good luck using that as your main system.

- delegating series x to gamepass machine, kinda conditions you to not buy anything on it.

Last edited:

Rykan

Those numbers are very surprising. I find it hard to believe that there is already a significant amount of people that own both a Series X and a PS5. So if you own a Series X and its not your daily driver..then what is? Playstation 4 maybe? Perhaps a PC? Same goes with PS5 digital.

Last edited:
I am a multi-format gamer and have been ever since I imported a SEGA Genesis to complement my Commodore Amiga "way back in the day" (i.e. I'm old!).

However, my disappointment with the Xbox One and Xbox One X and their lack of first-party games meant that I only pre-ordered a PS5 for launch and I was perfectly happy with that (delighted actually) as I also owned a gaming PC which could play the handful of Xbox titles such as Forza Motorsport, Forza Horizon, Halo and Gears of War anyway. I always intended upgrading my then-ageing PC (i7-4770K, 16 GB, GTX 1080 Ti) but then COVID and the scalpers came along and put paid to that idea due to high prices. Sadly, my old PC was starting to struggle with newer games and in December 2021 I was finally able to buy an Xbox Series X for its MSRP (albeit in a bundle) and in stock from GAME.

I was initially impressed with the hardware and especially at how much smaller it was than my gigantic PS5 stood next to it. I then turned it on and that next-gen buzz diminished somewhat as I was greeted by a very over-familiar dashboard. But you don't look at that while playing games, right, so it wasn't that big of a deal but it did take away some of the wow-factor for me? I spent a few months playing graphically enhanced versions of my Xbox library and, ultimately, I cannot deny that I have been disappointed with the system. Don't misunderstand me; it's a fantastic piece of kit at a great piece but there is still nothing on the system that showcases how powerful this system is. I have a GamePass Ultimate subscription for PC and Xbox (so I can share saves between the systems) but most of the games are smaller indie games or cross-gen third-party games that are good but I could easily just have played them on my Xbox One X.

Hopefully, things will improve in 2023 as I haven't really used my Xbox Series X in two months now. I have also now upgraded my PC to an i5-13600KF with 32 GB of memory and an RTX 3080 graphics card so I would rather play Microsoft games (when they arrive) on that rather than my Xbox now. If I had only owned an Xbox Series X since 2020 then I would have been even more disappointed. Microsoft have been criticised for years over their lack of games for the Xbox and years later we are still waiting for them to arrive. That should never have happened but I guess they just got complacent with the success of the Xbox 360 and felt they didn't really need to compete with Sony or Nintendo...

Last edited:
This is most interesting to me.

It shows a distrust in Sonys digital solutions vs Microsoft. And a brand loyalty to the point they will forsake games, because they aren't on thier PS5.

This is nothing new though and you can see it daily here on NEOGaf.

For sure for single player one and done games,

Not so much when it cones to the actually fun games Pol want to keep playing

In the end this proves PS fanboys will be PS fanhoyss and gaming fans will go where the games are.
You really are one of the most embarrassing warriors on this forum. are you trying to pick up the slack from catlady and Adam?

Your little not so obvious digs are just embarrassing. Some weird analysis that people who bought the cheaper ps5 are buying less games. Is some weird win for Xbox?

And your other post jesus trying to imply that PS exclusives aren't fun and true gamers will go where the games are. Well it's not Xbox is it clown 🤡.

Amiga

“It’s early days, but this suggests Sony’s exclusives strategy and brand strength has not been substantially disrupted by Microsoft’s Game Pass strategy yet (in the UK).”

Big 3rd party games don't launch on GP. And GP has few top played exclusives. Gamers would still have to pay $70 for top franchises + GP. So a large number would rather not bother with X-Box.

SLB1904

Banned
Owning both I can say I do play on my Series X more because I prefer the controller but I haven't had that one game that says man I am glad I had the Series X for that game

But so called "polls" can be very misleading as everyone knows
Funny how these pools always lean to playstation

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS5 isn’t just my main console (although I have a good PC I use as well, no desire whatsoever to play Xbox), it’s my main device period. I run all the streaming and all that through it as well, including YouTube TV. Honestly it’s quite nice having one box do it all, especially one that is fast and (mostly) smooth to use. I just wish the media remote wasn’t a cheap hunk of shit.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PS5 isn’t just my main console (although I have a good PC I use as well, no desire whatsoever to play Xbox), it’s my main device period. I run all the streaming and all that through it as well, including YouTube TV. Honestly it’s quite nice having one box do it all, especially one that is fast and (mostly) smooth to use. I just wish the media remote wasn’t a cheap hunk of shit.
Question: Why not use the built-in YouTube TV apps instead?

MikeM

I am a multi-format gamer and have been ever since I imported a SEGA Genesis to complement my Commodore Amiga "way back in the day" (i.e. I'm old!).

However, my disappointment with the Xbox One and Xbox One X and their lack of first-party games meant that I only pre-ordered a PS5 for launch and I was perfectly happy with that (delighted actually) as I also owned a gaming PC which could play the handful of Xbox titles such as Forza Motorsport, Forza Horizon, Halo and Gears of War anyway. I always intended upgrading my then-ageing PC (i7-4770K, 16 GB, GTX 1080 Ti) but then COVID and the scalpers came along and put paid to that idea due to high prices. Sadly, my old PC was starting to struggle with newer games and in December 2021 I was finally able to buy an Xbox Series X for its MSRP (albeit in a bundle) and in stock from GAME.

I was initially impressed with the hardware and especially at how much smaller it was than my gigantic PS5 stood next to it. I then turned it on and that next-gen buzz diminished somewhat as I was greeted by a very over-familiar dashboard. But you don't look at that while playing games, right, so it wasn't that big of a deal but it did take away some of the wow-factor for me? I spent a few months playing graphically enhanced versions of my Xbox library and, ultimately, I cannot deny that I have been disappointed with the system. Don't misunderstand me; it's a fantastic piece of kit at a great piece but there is still nothing on the system that showcases how powerful this system is. I have a GamePass Ultimate subscription for PC and Xbox (so I can share saves between the systems) but most of the games are smaller indie games or cross-gen third-party games that are good but I could easily just have played them on my Xbox One X.

Hopefully, things will improve in 2023 as I haven't really used my Xbox Series X in two months now. I have also now upgraded my PC to an i5-13600KF with 32 GB of memory and an RTX 3080 graphics card so I would rather play Microsoft games (when they arrive) on that rather than my Xbox now. If I had only owned an Xbox Series X since 2020 then I would have been even more disappointed. Microsoft have been criticised for years over their lack of games for the Xbox and years later we are still waiting for them to arrive. That should never have happened but I guess they just got complacent with the success of the Xbox 360 and felt they didn't really need to compete with Sony or Nintendo...
Nice rig my man

Those numbers are very surprising. I find it hard to believe that there is already a significant amount of people that own both a Series X and a PS5. So if you own a Series X and its not your daily driver..then what is? Playstation 4 maybe? Perhaps a PC? Same goes with PS5 digital.
Very personal opinion here (Trigger warning for green rats). We own a Series X, a Series S and Switch for my son, and a PS5. Bought the Series S for my son for Gamepass so I don't have to spend much money on games for him. But low and behold or however you say that, we all just play on the PS5 and Switch anyway. The games are better, the controllers (PS5 specifically) feel much better (Can't imagine anyone that has both saying the XBOX controller feels better), and the Series consoles are relegated to sort of: "I'm bored with everything now, lets see what's on Gamepass to fill my time for the next half hour."

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Very personal opinion here (Trigger warning for green rats). We own a Series X, a Series S and Switch for my son, and a PS5. Bought the Series S for my son for Gamepass so I don't have to spend much money on games for him. But low and behold or however you say that, we all just play on the PS5 and Switch anyway. The games are better, the controllers (PS5 specifically) feel much better (Can't imagine anyone that has both saying the XBOX controller feels better), and the Series consoles are relegated to sort of: "I'm bored with everything now, lets see what's on Gamepass to fill my time for the next half hour."
Like you say its all opinion but I own both Series X and PS5 and I 100% prefer the Xbox controller for a number of reasons

Its just all comes down to what people prefer

Like you say its all opinion but I own both Series X and PS5 and I 100% prefer the Xbox controller for a number of reasons

Its just all comes down to what people prefer
Yep, I can't understand why you would ever prefer that controller but to each it's own (wonder how many people are going to complain that the PSVR2 controllers have the same stick placement as normal Sony controllers and not offset like XBOX controllers hehe). The main point of the story though is about the usage of the consoles :D.

Man, I hope for MS's sake that the PC Bethesda fanbase buys this game on steam. I have no faith in the Xbox userbase to buy this game. I know i wont lmao.

Thankfully bethesda games are huge on PC so it should do 5 million easily.
They'll probably do some DLC or expansions. I'm sure they'll make their money. Game just has to be good.

They will also have the new model. I'm sure a lot of people will want to trade the first model for the new one. It'll probably be a bloodbath, specially with Spider-Man 2 coming out later this year, lmao. If they had 30M consoles to sell, they would sell them.

Not sure if it'll be worth trading in. Depends on if it's significantly slimmer/smaller than the PS5 DE.

They do need more than just Spider-Man 2 though.

mckmas8808

Banned
No, this is about user behaviour and less about market shifting one way or another, there may be a relationship but not guaranteed.

If you had a ps5 user who bought a series s, the marketshare would shift but this survey probably would not. The ps5 probably would still be their primary device and the series s would not.

It sounds to me that we are equating this survey partially with marketshare and the survey isn't about marketshare. The Series S may be still selling as much as the Series X but the audience may be using it differently. A bit slow this morning, think that's point 2 from your comment.

You can sell more Series S but have lower 'engagement' although this survey probably doesn't 100% track/relate to that, it feels more of a self-classification survey.

There is the follow-up question of whether having series s with a lower level of usage is a good strategy in comparison to having less but more engaged users.

The bolded is the main take away that I'm getting. It's clear that people that are buying the XSS have a different approach than gamers that have the PS5 or XSX. And considering how many more XSSs were made (compared to the XSX), things can get interesting this year when it comes to game sells.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Man, I hope for MS's sake that the PC Bethesda fanbase buys this game on steam. I have no faith in the Xbox userbase to buy this game. I know i wont lmao.

1. The majority of XGP users won't buy the game. Why would they after all when it's available on GP day one.
  2. 5 million on PC is realistic. It'll likely happen unless the game is a major flop (which I doubt). But is 5 million enough? I doubt it. Bethesda's last game was Skyrim, which sold more than 30 million copies 2 generations ago. If Starfield sells only 5-6 million copies in 2023, fuck!
Sony's big games are selling 20 million copies on PS alone left, right, and center. Starfield is now Xbox's biggest game, releasing on Xbox as well as PC. Anything less than 20 million copies (or 20 million new Gamepass subscribers) would be a big loss for them.

This is most interesting to me.

It shows a distrust in Sonys digital solutions vs Microsoft. And a brand loyalty to the point they will forsake games, because they aren't on thier PS5.

This is nothing new though and you can see it daily here on NEOGaf.
Pinky And The Brain Tonight GIF by HULU

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

This guy doesn't learn does he?

Persecution complexes seem to be all the rage these days.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

MS put themselves in a tricky situation. If Gamepass is underperforming in their eyes and the games aren't selling well, where do you go

reksveks

Yeah, just ignore the trolls.

The bolded is the main take away that I'm getting. It's clear that people that are buying the XSS have a different approach than gamers that have the PS5 or XSX. And considering how many more XSSs were made (compared to the XSX), things can get interesting this year when it comes to game sells.
My issue with 'game sales' (assuming that is what you meant) is that there is a large chunk of console gaming revenue that isn't related to full game sales and we won't get those numbers except on a quarterly basis.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned

I play PC, XsX, PS5 then switch in that order at the moment.

Re: Controllers The elite 2 with 4 backpaddles is best at moment - May change with Sonys version out in a few weeks, but I much prefer m+kb to controllers.

gimmmick

I think the numbers reflect people know what they want instead of which company puts out the best console.

I drive a Honda because I prefer it better than Toyota (even I know Toyota is overall the bigger and better brand in the car industry).

I prefer to game on the dual sense controller because it’s more comfortable to use than anything else imo.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah, just ignore the trolls.

My issue with 'game sales' (assuming that is what you meant) is that there is a large chunk of console gaming revenue that isn't related to full game sales and we won't get those numbers except on a quarterly basis.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about all gaming software revenue. Only the amount of units a game sells via physical or digital download. Revenue from actual sells matter most to me, than any other type of gaming revenue (excluding free-to-play games).

It is weird. This hobby is meant to be for entertainment. Guys like Kagey K seem to let it make them miserable. As if these numbers somehow change anything about one's enjoyment of gaming.

All for the love of a piece of plastic.

Meh my console is 2 TFs less than the X and i still enjoy it immensely.

Getting worked up over a survey or freaking out over something like HOL isn't worth a ban.

Last edited:
Top Bottom