• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

74% Of Adults Have Been Harassed While Gaming Online, Study Says.

xrnzaaas

Mute, disable messages, move on. Many people these days are such whiners and pussies. ;)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've had stupid messages, but I just ignore them.
If I get someone that persistent I just threaten them with Evillore.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ive never gotten harassed while gaming online. i've never use voice chat, and play MP games very little. as far as online console gaming, i've never done this ever. i think if you are going to open yourself to any audio from some random person who gets a game console then be prepared for the worst. personally, i want to hear the game.

aggressive behavior is a tendency not just in online gaming, but in competitive gaming in general. nothing wrong with it, but i play games for different reasons, and have never liked competitive games, whether video or IRL. i remember playing sports with other kids and them talking shit and it really upsetting me. later on at teen LAN parties it was similar trash talk when fragging one another in Quake Arena or whatever. it's the same whether it is Fortnite or H-O-R-S-E. it's psyching you out. it's the nature of competitive gaming. you tap into your animistic side and get territorial and play mind games. true it is not for everyone.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's shitty side online gaming, you either find a way to deal with it or don't bother get in to it.

ROMhack

It's shitty side online gaming, you either find a way to deal with it or don't bother get in to it.

I'd like to see them bring back an emphasis on private and custom lobbies. It used to be that people were in control of the game but the rise of match-making systems took that away. I think griefers realised that they suddenly had relative impunity because nobody can kick them for being a dick.

Of course there was an issue with clans back then so it wasn't perfect.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
"Harassed".

I have come across my share of rude people while playing online. But never have I encountered real harassment.

I'm sure it will sometimes happen, but 74%? No way.

Yeah about to say this, glad it was the first post... some sense sooner than later.

Too much willingness to become victimized these days, very strange. I think it's partly an attention thing.

Receiving some random audio or text that should go straight over any "adults" head, and not even register doesn't constitute harassment.

Wimbledon

I haven't been harassed but i have played with people who've trolled.

Like Destiny 1 when i played the Kings Fall raid , and i played with a bunch of randoms. Some dude just kept going in on the accent and kindness of another player on our team who was Canadian. Everyone is awkwardly laughing cause the guy acting like douche was bringing politics in it, and the Canadian guy was just trying to play the game, and then it bursted into an argument.

I just remember thinking WHY, dude were just trying to play a game and this guys going on about how alpha he is and how America is better, and hes just going at this dude for being Canadian I said exactly "how is this a thing" .

Canadian guy ended up leaving, and the guy who acted like that was saying "It was just a joke bro". Everyone on the team started going in on the troll because we no longer had 6 players for the raid. Then he left , and then we started looking for people and then everyone left, couldn't get the raid done that day.

Other than that experience which didn't even involve me cause i wasn't the target for the harasser, i've had a great time online. But most of the time i play with people i know i don't prefer to play with randoms that much anymore.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
And guess what, I have never reeeeee'd about it on social media or other cancel forums like some social justice crusaders do, lmao.

Pimpbaa

I just mute everyone almost everyone when I start to play a game. Sounds like a kid? mute. Talks too much? mute. Has a mic that picks up EVERY fucking noise in their house, damn right i'm gonna mute that son of a bitch.

Last edited:

Self

74% Of Adults Have Been Harassed once or multiple times in their life, common sense says.

fgrLV0e.gif

OutRun88

This study is a joke, along with the ADL.

Their methodology was extremely selective. “We oversampled individuals who identify as LGBTQ, Jewish, Muslim, Black, and Hispanic/Latinx. We collected responses for the oversampled target groups until at least 70 Americans were represented in each group.”

Additionally, when it came to doxing and swatting, they included reports that “sounded similar” to the definition they outlined or when people “preferred not to elaborate”

Then they showed their agenda with this little gem regarding white supremacy: “None of the open responses mentioned recruitment or explicit attempts to indoctrinate players...That does not mean that recruitment or indoctrination to extremist movements is absent in online multiplayer games, simply that this survey does not presently show evidence of that behavior.”

MastaKiiLA

Stats are probably correct, if you've played any online game with a lobby or voice chat. The key is what you've done with it. Most of it comes from pubescent kids, and ripping them a new one is fucking easy. Literally child's play. You can report them, or you can return fire. It depends on the situation.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's called competition.

first time i ever played sports, i was shocked by the shit talking.

then first time i ever played a LAN party, i was shocked by the shit talking.

it's almost like people talk shit during competition.

no, it has to be that video games are an exclusively evil thing and gamers are inherently bad people /s

MiguelItUp

People need to not be scared of muting, blocking, and reporting. If anyone's a dick, don't give them a chance, you can generally spot them from a mile away.

inflation

This study is a joke, along with the ADL.

Their methodology was extremely selective. “We oversampled individuals who identify as LGBTQ, Jewish, Muslim, Black, and Hispanic/Latinx. We collected responses for the oversampled target groups until at least 70 Americans were represented in each group.”

Additionally, when it came to doxing and swatting, they included reports that “sounded similar” to the definition they outlined or when people “preferred not to elaborate”

Then they showed their agenda with this little gem regarding white supremacy: “None of the open responses mentioned recruitment or explicit attempts to indoctrinate players...That does not mean that recruitment or indoctrination to extremist movements is absent in online multiplayer games, simply that this survey does not presently show evidence of that behavior.”
Where are the Asians? It’s so racist!!!11

/s

I'll never understand why people choose to not mute strangers when playing with them.
I've met some truly great people over rando voice chat over the years.

Granted the overwhelming majority are overly emotional 8 year olds and jackasses, but I can usually find some decent people to play with after a few server hops.

I got called an Ass Rammer yesterday while playing Apex Legends.... I have no idea where he got that or why, But I put on my mic and said "So is your Dad"... It ended in an awkward silence. I love online gaming

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Real life has enough stressors to it. When anyone(regardless of any age), plays a video game, they should not have to deal with someone who can’t act properly. I’m glad you can mute mics and you can block random players from messaging you.

VN1X

Banned
Also, I just verbally harassed someone in Rogue Company because he was toxic as fuck.

Wait so I guess technically I got harassed first?

Dang.
untitled_drawing_by_madwebkinz90-d91vjcu.png

Last edited:
I don't really online game like I used to now that im older...but back when I was a teen playing halo 2/3 and cod modern warfare and part 2...I used to get called the N Word every 5 minutes it would seem

But my brother in law...wifes younger brother...kids not even 10 yet and he loves playing fifa online and he gets temp banned off his xbox for harassment like every other week :messenger_tears_of_joy: ....He always calls me asking if he can sign into my account and play..im like bro you're like 8 or 9 what in the hell are you saying to people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Tschumi

I met a dude through vanilla WoW, like ten years older than me, he was toxic as hell and pissed off every guild he was in, including one that i set up and he server transferred to join.. his style of raid leading can best be described as "Y'all don't know me. But I'm kind of a big deal. So don't fuck with my speak."

I was like in my late teens and i had to counsel this dude and apologise for him across multiple guilds.. i remember early in our friendship he like helped me get a darkmoon faire card with turn ins, consistently basking in my appreciation of his gratitude, then for months after any time anything i said or decided went against him - including giving a warrior weapon to a MS tank over his pally OS - he said "that's alright, but i want you to know i think you're ungrateful and i wish I'd never helped you"

(Crap text colour has bugged)

Anyway i don't know if this counts as abuse, but the dude clearly was abused sometime in his life and was fighting damn hard to pick up some relevance.. fighting against a lack of precedent for decency as much as anything...

.. last thing i knew he had moved to China (where i lived when i was being his kid counselor), and has got married. Could very well be the best thing for him and i wish him well, but man he was a chore.

Mute, disable messages, move on. Many people these days are such whiners and pussies. ;)
I didn't know this was actually a thing until i sustained abuse from another guy on Division 2. My mate then told me after the abuse took place that i could have just muted the cunt.

Last edited:

Reficul

I've been wrongly accused of camping while defending random points on a couple of BF4 maps in my time as a camper... UH...I mean soldier.
The harassment I received was beautiful (and a little salty) and put a smile on my face. I didn't know my mom knew all those random dudes I was playing with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom