• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

74% Of Adults Have Been Harassed While Gaming Online, Study Says.

zenspider

What are they saying exactly by sticking gamergate alongside holocaust/9-11 deniers, anti-vaxxers and all that?

There's no metric of judgement of the transgressiveness of the controversial opinions, just the frequency they are encountered in the online interactions of those polled.

If anything, I think the alarms could be raised for how casually holocaust denial and white supremacy is encountered - it's not a 'behind closed doors' topic - but I think internet meme and troll culture makes it impossible to make sense if it.

Daymos

Sounds like we should all live online since that's probably lower than the percentage of adults who have been harassed in real life.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Does tbaggin or perfecting an opponent in a game using cheap tactics or cheats count as harassment? Because I will not be surprised if this is included too.

I got teabagged in the lobby for Echo Arena (VR 3D space floaty frisbee multiplayer thing). VR opens a lot of possibilities for that kind of thing. Tbh I found it funny rather than offensive.

Well, I'm surprised, everyone I played with was harassed and they all harassed in one way or another!

We're a bunch of trolls, and we love it.

Joe T.

Kelley said that games haven’t caught up with other online services in terms of their approach to dealing with harassment. Over the last decade, as social media has become a confluence of big business and mass culture, companies like Facebook and Twitter have begun outright denouncing hate speech and harassment on their platforms. “There’s an expectation that if you’re on Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, any text thing—there’s some form of moderation,” Kelley said.

tenor.gif

It's almost impossible for me to take stories such as this one seriously because of the manner in which they exaggerate. If you copy/pasted much of what passes as acceptable social media messages into games the ADL would qualify them as harassment.

It's infuriating how a criminal behaviour like harassment has become a joke in the last few years thanks to the snowflake culture. Same applies to terms like racist, sexist, fascist or rapist. These words have lost any weight or meaning since they are thrown around so often that people cannot tell when these allegations are legit or not.

The idea of calling harassment to being trashtalked over some fucking videogame makes me want to slap somebody really hard.

desertdroog

I once had a kid voice message me on XBL that he was going to kill me for real if he ever saw me playing COD again.

It was fucking hilarious. He was doing a "Tough guy" voice and everything.

Blocked him. Problem solved.
That's when you tell him to ask his mom if she combs her bearded clam.

That works wonders in real life when kids are being obnoxious, their parents tend to keep a reign on them in public from harassing strangers, if they give a damn.

Last edited:
mods are more than tolerany with jokes. This one seemed unnecessary.
On the contrary, it's a cleverly constructed joke pertaining to the oldest online insult among gamers.

Your opinion of it being unnecessary is subjective. No disrespect, I'm not trying to be rude. I just do not appreciate being thought policed if I didn't actually break a rule.

spawn

Hell if you have ever worked in retail I would say that 100% of retail workers have been harassed or called an offensive name by a customer, but they just had to take it because they're at work.

edit: can we perhaps change the thread title to "88% of adults report positive social experiences when playing online"? ;)
They were harassed so much that they internalized it, they don't EVEN REALIZE IT! so we have to run the war for justice until they are free from those toxic harassers that keep trash talking their way to the top :messenger_loudly_crying:.

I recall when playing team sports (actual sports, not B.S. e-sports), the only thing I was good at was pissing off the other team with trash talk.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty sure anyone who plays MP has been called out at some point.

Makes sense since it's hours of gaming across 1,000s of gamers.

I few people even sent me a message. Who cares.

29 percent said that at some point, they had been “doxed” as a result of a game, which the study defines as a stranger publishing private information about them.

Bullshit.

So out of 1,000 in the survey, 290 claim people posted private info about them?

More like 0.29%.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
On the contrary, it's a cleverly constructed joke pertaining to the oldest online insult among gamers.

Your opinion of it being unnecessary is subjective. No disrespect, I'm not trying to be rude. I just do not appreciate being thought policed if I didn't actually break a rule.

I'm puzzled by the mod here, it's out of keeping with the generally high quality hands off approach usually taken.

TwiztidElf

The ADL eh?

It's my experience that when you're stomping people (particularly flowchart Kens) as Honda in Street Fighter 4, they don't like it much.

Mass Shift

A threat online might as well be a threat from a piece of lint. It would have about the same weight and pose a similar amount of danger.

In fact there's probably microscopic germs in the room with you right now that would have a better chance (with intent) at causing you real-world harm than any of these inferiority laden personalities online.

Ignore them and game on with your life.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned

Dorothy Grayson is a saint!

7mteCuJ.jpg

Last edited:

lukilladog

To be harassment the molesting needs to be systematic, continued and unwanted. I think real harassment in gaming is rare, I mean you can block certain players from joining your sessions right?, if you don´t do it then you can´t say the interaction is unwanted therefore it cannot be considered harassment. It must be a biased crappy "studio".

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What is even the definition of harassment?

If you play 20 years of online gaming and ONE dude calls you a name? 20 instances? 100 instances? Is it a rate system per amount of time played? Or just absolute number of occurrences?

If it's just one time, then every person will have a 100% harassment rate when it comes to work, school, family life and getting snubbed by a rude waiter.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
I'm guilty of this. My teabag is strong. True victory is crushing your opponent so completely they realize the mistake of going against you in the first place. I have on occasion talked to a few moms online & in at least one occasion she beat her sons ass after I explained what took place. I have no shame in my game.

On a side note. If folks are looking under every rock for shit to be outraged about it's not hard to find.

Last edited:
On the one hand my initial thought was “only 74%? I find it hard to believe it’s not 99%”. People are douchebags to each other online. Water is wet, etc. On the other hand, “snowflakes” was my second thought. Haha I dunno...on balance I’d say my overall experience has been positive across multiple online games n genres...but I still find a lot of the interactions annoying or limited vs last gen for various reasons that prob go beyond this threads main point. My best ever experience online was the year or so I played Left 4 Dead and then another year or so I played the sequel. By far. People were vocal and mostly awesome to each other in both those games. Tons of fun. Nothing comes close this gen. Weird how things have changed.

Last edited:

Pallas

I highly doubt it. We're all using pseudonyms and it's not like games have that information at hand for people to find...so you'd have to give it to them. How stupid do you have to be to hand over identifying information to someone you've never spoken to before who is telling you about how he fucked your mother? I try to have a little more faith in humanity than to believe people are that dumb.

True, I think it’s lower than the projected 29-30% unless these people just tell the person who does the doxxing their personal information. It’s not hard at all to dox if you got the basic info.

Something else I didn’t see talked about and it’s not verbal harassment but stuff like lag switches, Ddos attacks/IP stressors, that make a online/multiplayer game practically unplayable and not enjoyable.

GreatnessRD

I'm taking a guess that you're someone who's upset that people use party chat nowadays.

Only for shooters sometimes as I do enjoy hearing the salt. But I'm older now, so I don't really mind. I'm in a party chat 95% of the time my damn self. I personally just don't take anything some random says online THAT serious. Don't pay none of my bills and in the end, is irrelevant to my life. If its that big of a deal, there is always a mute button. Then life goes on.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Only for shooters sometimes as I do enjoy hearing the salt. But I'm older now, so I don't really mind. I'm in a party chat 95% of the time my damn self. I personally just don't take anything some random says online THAT serious. Don't pay none of my bills and in the end, is irrelevant to my life. If its that big of a deal, there is always a mute button. Then life goes on.
I don't get why people argue about not allowing party chat in some games seeing as there's a there's a mute button.
Party chat is the mute button without the extra steps.

ruvikx

Banned
Shouldn’t the title be

74% of Adults have harassed someone online while gaming, study says.

There's a good quote from Justified (the TV show), i.e.

You ever hear of the saying "you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Based upon online experience since... forever, in most cases its the people who're screaming loudest about being harassed/trolled who're themselves massive jerks attacking & bullying others. That other place with the name-I-wont-mention (with choice specimens such as Lime) is a perfect case in point, i.e. a community of self-appointed victims who spend 24/7 of their lives hunting down wrong thinkers/non compliant people & bullying them online.

Top Bottom