• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 Yakuza games coming to PlayStation Plus in 2022, starting this month

killatopak

Gold Member
7fb.gif

saintjules

I kind of regretted starting the series at 4 on the PS3. I'll probably have to finish it there rather than start over, but this is a great deal it seems.

is it weird that Extra gets Yakuza 6, but not 3-5?

Last edited:
Play them in numerical order.

Get introduced to some of the best characters in video games.

Thanks for waiting until I bought all of them.

Anyway, Yakuza 3 could really do with the kiwami treatment. Hasn't aged all that gracefully.
PREACH. Going from Kiwami 2 to 3 is very jarring.

3 needs a gameplay revamp. Oh, and more screentime for Yoshitaka Mine.

Still waiting for Ishin western release.
YES! I don't even care for Kenzan!.... But Ishin, hell yeah, they need to bring that to the west ASAP. Ishin was also the first one of the 3 games that have the best melee system. (Ishin, 0, Kiwami 1)

splattered

Hell yeah! Awesome news for PS peeps. I've bought almost the entire series across PS3/PS4/XB (rebought almost all again on XB digitally)

Orbital2060

Thanks! They're both on Game Pass so maybe I'll give the series a shot.
As adamsapple already said, Zero is a great starting point. Its also the first half of the greater ellipse that revolves around the relationship between Kiryu and Nishiki. The other half is in Kiwami which is a remake of the first Yakuza game. Zero is a kind of retrofit and expansiln of the story that originally started with Kiwami, which isnt entirely obvious unless youve already know the OG Yakuza or its Kiwami remake. Zero starts with the two guys as young colleagues and Kiwami now ends that story ellipse. So if you play Zero, you should also play Kiwami after that to get the whole story.

After that Id go something like this

(Yakuza Zero + Kiwami 1)

Kiwami 2

Yakuza 7 - or youll have to wait until much later so might as well experience of the new battle system and there are no major spoilers for 3-6.

Then start with the 3-5 saga which is a long long journey. Y3 is pretty short but 4 and 5 expands the game to 4 and then 5 playable characters with each of their subplot. Theyre amazing though, Y5 is one of the best imo but its like a marathon if you just want to clear it. But theyre worth it just to get all of the references and feels in Yakuza 6 which is also amazing and and the most modern next to Like A Dragon.

Yakuza 6 - the game that wraps up Kiryus story and also the last yakuza with the brawler battle system.

Disclaimer: I havent played Isshin or FotNS yet.

But starting with Zero is probably a good idea.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

No reason for anyone who has either GP or PS+ not to try these fantastic games now.

True.

I enjoyed zero and then jumped to kiwami.

Put about 5 hours in and dropped it. Not speaking to the quality of the game, but I felt like I was playing more of zero. Not a bad thing, but I was just burned out.

Last edited:
I know people who have started with 0 and thought Kiwami 1 was a worse off game which meant that would've been a bad point.
Yep, I recommend going with 1, then 0, and then 2. Zero came long after 1, and it works better as a prequel and not a starting point. If you go into Zero knowing how things work out, it's much better. If you go into 1 after having played Zero, you'd be in for some sad developments.

But yeah, 1 is also not as good from a gameplay perspective, so going from Zero to 1 will feel like a step down. Better to start with 1 for a number of reasons, IMO.

Last edited:
No.

Start with 0 then play Kiwami.

Your entire appreciation of the Kiryu - Nishiki relationship is based on playing the games in that order.

Also only the side stories in Kiwami are worse than in 0, the combat in Kiwami is definitely an improvement over 0.

What a difference a few months make. Sony now has by far the best subscription service. These Yakuza games were one of the best things going on for Gamepass as far as actual good games and now Sony have them on their service too.

ToadMan

What a difference a few months make. Sony now has by far the best subscription service. These Yakuza games were one of the best things going on for Gamepass as far as actual good games and now Sony have them on their service too.

Although somehow PS Plus didn’t get MLB The Show - I just don’t get that at all.

Kagey K

Banned
But is it sustainable? or profitable? Race to the bottom? Devaluing the industry? Forcing you to rush through the games before they leave?

pepsi GIF

But is it sustainable? or profitable? Race to the bottom? Devaluing the industry? Forcing you to rush through the games before they leave?

pepsi GIF
That's on Sega to figure out, I owned 2 of those games and I sure as hell ain't buying any of them anymore nor am I buying the next one. I actually decided that once they released on Gamepass, I ain't ever paying the regular price for games that are being given away like this.

As far as the PlayStation division, they make their profit numbers public as well as milestone sales of games and hardware, we'll find out how sustainable it is for them soon enough. They have been talking a little too much about GaaS to my taste, possibly already a negative side effect of betting on services.

Although somehow PS Plus didn’t get MLB The Show - I just don’t get that at all.
They also didn't include The Order 1886 yet or GoW 1 and GoW 2, go figure.

Last edited:

ToadMan

pepsi GIF

Well GP hasn’t maintained its launch form. It used to offer new or recent AAA 3rd party games. And of course that mythical first party content day one.

MS first party is MIA and GP gets mostly indies and old stuff now. Sure for $180 a year that is sustainable.

AAA day one? Not so much.

OuterLimits

Figures. Just bought Like a Dragon when it was 60% off just a week or two ago. Kind of annoying it has a big discount right before they announce it coming to PS+.

Last edited:
No.

Start with 0 then play Kiwami.

Your entire appreciation of the Kiryu - Nishiki relationship is based on playing the games in that order.

Also only the side stories in Kiwami are worse than in 0, the combat in Kiwami is definitely an improvement over 0.
I couldn't agree with this less. From the amazing character intro in Zero that will fall flat if you don't know who they are, to the shocking betrayal in 1, to the crazy and sad ending of Zero that would seem a lot worse if you don't know where the character ends up already, I felt everything was more enjoyable in the order I experienced the games, which was 1 first and then Zero.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree with this less. From the amazing character intro in Zero that will fall flat if you don't know who they are, to the shocking betrayal in 1, to the crazy and sad ending of Zero that would seem a lot worse if you don't know where the character ends up already, I felt everything was more enjoyable in the order I experienced the games, which was 1 first and then Zero.
We'll agree to disagree 🤷🏾‍♂️

I feel like Sony will always have Japan on their side. One thing I'll be really curious to see is if they will have plenty of jrpgs from last gens in there in the future. They already have most final fantasy games so far...

kiphalfton

No reason for anyone who has either GP or PS+ not to try these fantastic games now.

One and done. I played Kiwami and it was a good game and I enjoyed the gameplay, but looks like it would take at least 150 hours to beat Yakuza 0 to Yakuza 6. Even spacing them out, that's a big feat.

ToadMan

That's on Sega to figure out, I owned 2 of those games and I sure as hell ain't buying any of them anymore nor am I buying the next one. I actually decided that once they released on Gamepass, I ain't ever paying the regular price for games that are being given away like this.

They also didn't include The Order 1886 yet or GoW 1 and GoW 2, go figure.

Yeah particularly 1886 - that never seemed to get a deep discount, no PS Plus and not the sub service.

Another weird one given it wasn’t an instant classic. Maybe Sony want to bury it 🤷‍♂️

Jaybe

Nice to see a publisher put a franchise in both major subscription services versus getting roped into playing the ‘exclusivity to a service’ game. Would be great if games can avoid the same exclusive rights mess that video streaming subscriptions are in

kiphalfton

Gamepass ultimate lacks a yearly subscription option, so ultimate is $180 a year, while PS+ Premium is $120.

If you're paying retail price for GPU you're a moron. CDKeys or Eneba is roughly ~$45 per year for existing GPU members and ~$75 for 3 years for new GPU subscriber.

Mozzarella

I don't think im going to bother trying the rest after i found Yakuza 0 to be a mediocre slog.
Good deal though, i have to admit, just will pray for whoever gets hooked into these games, will probably have to endure a series of 50+hours each. lol.

Bridges

The premium tier divide for 3 games in the middle is a real fucking weird decision.
Especially since those are (imo) the worse entries

I just finished Kiryu's saga (Y0-Y6) and couldn't recommend it more. Everyone should at least give 0 a try, it's an incredible series.

Yeah particularly 1886 - that never seemed to get a deep discount, no PS Plus and not the sub service.

Another weird one given it wasn’t an instant classic. Maybe Sony want to bury it 🤷‍♂️
To me it's a shame, it would benefit from people playing it without too much expectations as far as getting their money worth. It has plenty of qualities despite the flaws but they seem ashamed of it.

Last edited:

Aenima

Wait so premium tier can legit receive games that won't drop on Extra?

I always came to the impression that wouldn't be the case.

Premium would offer an extended catalogue because it offers older gen games, trials and cloud stuff.
Its because they were originally PS3 games. They threat PS3 remastered games for PS4 as PS3 games. Its sucks.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It seems like Plus and GP will end up basically being very similar third party content.
Probably. Kind of like how Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc always seem to have similar rotations of movies from studios minus some exclusivity deals they make and of course their own internal content.

hemo memo

Gold Member
That’s the wrong order of games. Yes I know chronological is correct but for the best play experience it is really bad to go from Kiwami 2 to 3 remaster as it is in term of design the most archaic which is understandable because it is an old game and wasn’t remaked like Kiwami 1,2.

Ι've only played the original game on PS2. What's the recommended order to play these games?

My preference of play if you’re not concerned too much about the story is to start with 3,4,5 remaster then play 0, Kiwami 1,2 and then 6.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Lmao. PS4 SKUs passed off as 'classic' games because they're remasters. This 'Premium' tier fucking sucks. A few PS1 games, a handful of PSP, and anything playable natively from PS2 or PS3 is just a PS4 port.

Top Bottom