• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8bitdo wired Xbox controller (with back buttons) is out now!

Tams

Gold Member
Wired controllers?

what_year_is_it-DMID1-5c3t4izyb-512x384.gif
Oh look, the wireless or death brigade have already shown up.

Back to your swamp.

Soodanim

Does it work on PC?

If not, could you recommend something that would work on both?
Windows these days primarily uses Xinput, which was Microsoft's way of standardising the Xbox 360 controller (and beyond) as the PC controller. Pretty much any controller you buy these days will be Xinput compatible because of it. You can buy PC adapters from Microsoft that let you use your standard Xbox 360/One/Series controller on PC just by plugging them in, that's how compatible they are.

You have nothing to worry about if you want to use this on both.

Tams

Gold Member
Windows these days primarily uses Xinput, which was Microsoft's way of standardising the Xbox 360 controller (and beyond) as the PC controller. Pretty much any controller you buy these days will be Xinput compatible because of it. You can buy PC adapters from Microsoft that let you use your standard Xbox 360/One/Series controller on PC just by plugging them in, that's how compatible they are.

You have nothing to worry about if you want to use this on both.
Xinput is gimped though.

DirectInput already existed and is better. Well other than now being less supported due to Microsoft.

Soodanim

Xinput is gimped though.

DirectInput already existed and is better. Well other than now being less supported due to Microsoft.
I can do without all that 1234 bollocks though. What made Dinput better? I assumed no one liked it. Controller support seemed to be shaky at best before Xinput. I know that's an implementation problem, but the standardisation seemed to improve PC controller support immeasurably. It was that and Steam's streamlining of installations that made PC more accessible, at least that's how I've always seen it.

I do wish MS would expand on Xinput and allow for more, but I suppose they have nothing to gain from supporting other controllers' additions (touchpad, grips, gyro)

Tams

Gold Member
I can do without all that 1234 bollocks though. What made Dinput better? I assumed no one liked it. Controller support seemed to be shaky at best before Xinput. I know that's an implementation problem, but the standardisation seemed to improve PC controller support immeasurably. It was that and Steam's streamlining of installations that made PC more accessible, at least that's how I've always seen it.

I do wish MS would expand on Xinput and allow for more, but I suppose they have nothing to gain from supporting other controllers' additions (touchpad, grips, gyro)
It's very limited. Wikipedia is your friend.

And yes, I am salty about it. It's stopped me from using some exotic controls for some games as some only accept one input type at a time and poorly support DirectInput.

Soodanim

It's very limited. Wikipedia is your friend.

And yes, I am salty about it. It's stopped me from using some exotic controls for some games as some only accept one input type at a time and poorly support DirectInput.
Have you tried the dll injection method of translating inputs? You might be able to circumvent limits and get what you want that way.

Bethesda really need to remove their exclusive input issues in their next games. Turns out it isn't even a hard limit for the most part. People figured out that there's simply a flag in the control config that disables an input from being active when a controller is plugged in.

GenericUser

I'm new to xbox and in desperate need of a good, reliable controller with programmable back paddles. This one is tempting, but I guess I skip it and wait for the elite 3 controller.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm new to xbox and in desperate need of a good, reliable controller with programmable back paddles. This one is tempting, but I guess I skip it and wait for the elite 3 controller.

imma be real with you... as someone who owns both the Elite 1 and 2... I would recommend getting this 8bitdo over an Elite controller.

these Elite controllers have so many moving and intricate parts to them that it's almost impossible to get one that actually works perfectly. I think they overengineered them.

I wouldn't call the Elite controllers by Microsoft reliable

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
imma be real with you... as someone who owns both the Elite 1 and 2... I would recommend getting this 8bitdo over an Elite controller.

these Elite controllers have so many moving and intricate parts to them that it's almost impossible to get one that actually works perfectly. I think they overengineered them.

I wouldn't call the Elite controllers by Microsoft reliable

Thanks for articulating my thoughts behind buying the 8bitdo (instead of an Elite) when it got announced.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Mmm what?

Thet PowerA let's you reassign buttons. (So those 2 backbuttons can't serve as extra optional buttons) Sucks but it cost me 25€ so

Anyways. In halo running and crouching play a big part and the default placement on an original Xbox controller suck ass) so I put running (on A default) and crouching (L3) on the backbuttons so I don't have to take my thumbs of the sticks. If that makes sense

Last edited:

Rambone

I like 8bitdo stuff but I can't really find any compelling reason that would make me want to go back to wired. Pass.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I like 8bitdo stuff but I can't really find any compelling reason that would make me want to go back to wired. Pass.

Wired is based. But I sit pretty close by my set so I'm fine. Less latency as well right? No? Ar least no batteries

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean have you ever owned a PS4? the Dualshock 4 was basically a wired controller half the time with the dogshit battery life it has lol.

so many people used wired controllers last gen 🙃 even if they didn't want to
I just controller swapped on a charging dock 🤷‍♀️

With that said, wired or wireless doesn't bother me. I'd use either, or.

Banned
I just controller swapped on a charging dock 🤷‍♀️

With that said, wired or wireless doesn't bother me. I'd use either, or.

I hate swapping controllers. my Dualshock 4 had a specific drift when playing Apex Legends on 0 Deadzone, and using a different controller would mean I would have to get used to different deadzones and drifts, that's a no go for me. so I was stuck plugging it it all the time lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I hate swapping controllers. my Dualshock 4 had a specific drift when playing Apex Legends on 0 Deadzone, and using a different controller would mean I would have to get used to different deadzones and drifts, that's a no go for me. so I was stuck plugging it it all the time lol
I feel your pain in that scenario. Thankfully *knocks on wood*, I have not been hit with any drift the past few gens (so far). This one may be different with all the fancy shit they put into controllers.

Banned
I feel your pain in that scenario. Thankfully *knocks on wood*, I have not been hit with any drift the past few gens (so far). This one may be different with all the fancy shit they put into controllers.

well I'm talking about drift with the deazone set to absolute 0, almost every controller has drift in that scenario, but at high level Apex having no deazone and therefore more precision in the inner stick area is very important.

and after a while you get used it exactly how your controller drifts with no deadzone, and you have to adjust your recoil control accordingly.

I ultimately had to switch controllers twice tho because of extreme drift of the stick.
my first one had a drift issue where it sometimes just jerked the camera upwards like hell.
and my second one I had ro change because my left stick had a werid drift that made me randomly ealk forward whenever I went into ADS in apex.

Last edited:
Wired? How long is the cord on this thing? If I get one will I end up looking like a kid in an nes ad from the 80s, sitting cross legged on the floor four feet from the console?

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wired? How long is the cord on this thing? If I get one will I end up looking like a kid in an nes ad from the 80s, sitting cross legged on the floor four feet from the console

Just short of 119 inches. (118.11)

3 meters. Pretty fucking long imo

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
ySHwwWK.jpg

Wired Halo-only controller for only $15 that beats out the Elite for accuracy, already on the market!

Although playing on PC will give me wallhacks and aim assists... Sigh And maybe. Just maybe 2 mangler shots plus melee will kill. Or at least give me more wins/trades than seemingly bizarre deaths. Fucking US privilege. Weird that I still enjoy playing

/Rant

Last edited:

Rambone

Wired is based. But I sit pretty close by my set so I'm fine. Less latency as well right? No? Ar least no batteries
Well, Xbox controllers are supposed to have some of the lowest latency to begin with over wireless. As for batteries, that might be the only con but I'm not really cycling through batteries all that often to convince me to go back to wired. There is just something nice about not having a cable in the way whether you are at your desk or further back chilling on your couch doing some gaming. Not having a cable on my controller also looks nicer if I want to leave it on my desk when not in use.

BlackTron

Although playing on PC will give me wallhacks and aim assists... Sigh And maybe. Just maybe 2 mangler shots plus melee will kill. Or at least give me more wins/trades than seemingly bizarre deaths. Fucking US privilege. Weird that I still enjoy playing

/Rant

Halo now supports mouse/kb on Xbox. The keyboard I use literally came from a thrift store for $4 lol.

And I grew up on consoles too, and would never dream of playing a console game like Mario without a controller. Playing that with a keyboard, would be as weird to me as FPS or RTS with a gamepad. Possible sure, but why??

It just struck me that someone is waiting for a special controller to come out for 1 game, and that it happens to be a FPS game. I mean to each their own but that just blows my mind.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wired? How long is the cord on this thing? If I get one will I end up looking like a kid in an nes ad from the 80s, sitting cross legged on the floor four feet from the console?
I was wondering this too. It's hard to get far enough away from my 77 inch TV to make this viable.

I looked it up, the cable length is 3m (about 9ft). For me this needs to be about twice as long, meaning I'd also have to buy a USB extension cord and hope it wouldn't introduce some sort of insane latency. Probably going to be a pass from me, but I'm excited about other people being excited for this.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Halo now supports mouse/kb on Xbox. The keyboard I use literally came from a thrift store for $4 lol.

And I grew up on consoles too, and would never dream of playing a console game like Mario without a controller. Playing that with a keyboard, would be as weird to me as FPS or RTS with a gamepad. Possible sure, but why??

It just struck me that someone is waiting for a special controller to come out for 1 game, and that it happens to be a FPS game. I mean to each their own but that just blows my mind.

Can't not agree with your assessment. I'm just a controller guy and that's it i guess. I get your way of thinking but just don't know what to say. Maybe in the future when I finalize my "gameroom" and install retroarch on SS trying uit System Shock, OG Thief etc I'll try it out because it feels more authentic (??)

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I was wondering this too. It's hard to get far enough away from my 77 inch TV to make this viable.

I looked it up, the cable length is 3m (about 9ft). For me this needs to be about twice as long, meaning I'd also have to buy a USB extension cord and hope it wouldn't introduce some sort of insane latency. Probably going to be a pass from me, but I'm excited about other people being excited for this.

I'm rearranging my home to sit closer lol. Don't like sitting far away form my tv. Max 1.60 meters atm, maybe 2?

Justin9mm

I mean have you ever owned a PS4? the Dualshock 4 was basically a wired controller half the time with the dogshit battery life it has lol.

so many people used wired controllers last gen 🙃 even if they didn't want to
Yes, had PS4 and two controllers, not once was a game played wired because I had a charging dock just like on PS5 🤷‍♂️

dd492941

Is this controller going to be quieter than the series controller? I hate using them because they are loud as hell. Louder than my old ps4 fan speed. I love how silent the dualsense is in comparison. I even looked up if I could use dual sense on series x because I hate the controller so much but would like to play on my series x.

Banned
Yes, had PS4 and two controllers, not once was a game played wired because I had a charging dock just like on PS5 🤷‍♂️

I mean... great solution to Combat the awful battery issues I guess. but that should not be a necessity

also it's not great for the battery to always charge it even if it's almost full or 2/3 full. wears out the battery even faster.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I mean... great solution to Combat the awful battery issues I guess. but that should not be a necessity

also it's not great for the battery to always charge it even if it's almost full or 2/3 full. wears out the battery even faster.
I mean it could wear it out faster, but I had my original PS4 controller since launch day and when the Pro came out, I had that one and both lasted until I got my PS5. I never noticed the shit battery life getting shitter in the time I had it, was always the same, as soon as one was going flat, I just switched out one for the other. I'm not sure why a charging dock would not be a necessity, most of everything else in the world that has rechargeable battery has a charging dock? It really is the solution to not having to use a cable for a controller again for gaming. I also had a charging dock for my Xbox one X controllers and now I have a charging dock for my two Series X controllers.

Last edited:

Banned
I mean it could wear it out faster, but I had my original PS4 controller since launch day and when the Pro came out, I had that one and both lasted until I got my PS5. I never noticed the shit battery life getting shitter in the time I had it, was always the same, as soon as one was going flat, I just switched out one for the other. I'm not sure why a charging dock would not be a necessity, most of everything else in the world that has rechargeable battery has a charging dock?

well it's just not great if you care for longevity. I can't say how much it affects the battery in this case as I only charged it when needed.
I can say tho that it was also very variable, almost like they used different parts.
I have a PS4 controller that always only lasted for ~4 hours max even brand new... then I have one that lasts 6h... so it's just weird in general with those batteries.

I just would love it when everyone went the 8bitdo and Microsoft route and just had replaceable batteries with an option to use AA and battery packs.

Justin9mm

well it's just not great if you care for longevity. I can't say how much it affects the battery in this case as I only charged it when needed.
I can say tho that it was also very variable, almost like they used different parts.
I have a PS4 controller that always only lasted for ~4 hours max even brand new... then I have one that lasts 6h... so it's just weird in general with those batteries.

I just would love it when everyone went the 8bitdo and Microsoft route and just had replaceable batteries with an option to use AA and battery packs.
Well I'm always going to have some sort of rechargeable dock, the Microsoft controllers are just a rechargeable AA battery pack but with my situation of never being without a controller as I always have one charged, I have no problem with Sony's implementation. For me to solidly game for 4 hours and then walk to my tv unit plop the controller down, pick up the other one and continue gaming, it's probably one of the best conveniences I have. In saying that I don't often game over 4 hours in one session, it's usually between 2-4 hours because life is too busy anyway.

Last edited:

Banned
For me to solidly game for 4 hours and then walk to my tv unit plop the controller down, pick up the other one and continue gaming, it's probably one of the best conveniences I have.

I mean, you know what's even more convenient? playing through half of Elden Ring with a single charge lol which is what I did using good batteries in an Xbox controller 🤷‍♂️

Justin9mm

I mean, you know what's even more convenient? playing through half of Elden Ring with a single charge lol which is what I did using good batteries in an Xbox controller 🤷‍♂️
Well for you its different because you're gaming sessions are obviously a lot longer so I understand where you are coming from. I think most people or a good majority are casual gamers who game in far shorter sessions and although not ideal, Sony has obviously deemed battery life to be in an 'acceptable' range for the average consumer in the market. Obviously this is subjective, to you it is obviously unacceptable. I hear ya.

stickkidsam

My Wolverine Tournament Edition is still working well but I might have to pick one up just for the spare. Looks nice.

Plus I’m a sucker for that little star in the middle. Wonder what it does…

Larxia

My Wolverine Tournament Edition is still working well but I might have to pick one up just for the spare. Looks nice.

Plus I’m a sucker for that little star in the middle. Wonder what it does…
I was wondering the same thing lol Maybe it's a button to program the back buttons or something?

Nydius

8bitdoodoo. I have yet to try a pad from this company that doesn't have d-pad diagonal issues.

The shape of this one in particular makes it one of the most uncomfy controllers I have ever used:

vQ2r1P8.jpg
To each their own, I guess. I bought that after falling in love with the 8bitdo Pro 2 for the Switch.

I don't use it exclusively on the Xbox and only bust it out for a handful of games but I don't find it particularly uncomfortable to use. The d-pad is a bit squishier than I'd like it to be though. If the new Ultimate feels as solid as the Pro 2 Wired, I might pick it up, especially because I'm tired of the regular Series controllers being noisemakers.

BlackTron

8bitdoodoo. I have yet to try a pad from this company that doesn't have d-pad diagonal issues.

The shape of this one in particular makes it one of the most uncomfy controllers I have ever used:

vQ2r1P8.jpg

Well it looks a lot like a PS controller so little surprise to me. When they reverse it and make a PS controller in the style of Xbox that doesn't suck, we'll be in business and I might work down a lot more of my giant PS backlog.

I have actively tried to find this product, failed, and given up several times.

Vognerful

sNqeFIe.jpg

It has back buttons!!!!

Sorry I tried 80 times pressing that add image button but it's unresponsive

8Bitdo Ultimate Wired Controller for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, Windows 10 & Windows 11 (Black) (Xbox Series X) https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B01MRXMP9J/

Hype!!!
So, I did a little research on it and I want to thank you because it got me interested.

Unfortunately, it seems I have to wait very long until it is released in my country of residence

Top Bottom