• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8bitdo wired Xbox controller (with back buttons) is out now!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Seems pretty, is there any wireless variant?

KX8e94r.jpg

No. Not as of yet.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
The Series controller has a wicked loud dpad, so it's good that this doesn't have that. It's insane how noisy that controller really is.
Just one question, is the audio clear on the 8bitdo? Need to plug in my Samsung headphones. Can't game without my noise cancelling.
Personally not bothered with it being wired, I sit relatively close to my console.

Naru

I've heard their controllers are pretty good but people playing with wired controllers in 2022 has me cracking up.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

dont know which to get

switch, Series S
PS4Pro/5

like which ones give a decent upgrade for 1 4k and 2 1080p TVs???

Help?

I've heard their controllers are pretty good but people playing with wired controllers in 2022 has me cracking up.

Why

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The Series controller has a wicked loud dpad, so it's good that this doesn't have that. It's insane how noisy that controller really is.
Just one question, is the audio clear on the 8bitdo? Need to plug in my Samsung headphones. Can't game without my noise cancelling.
Personally not bothered with it being wired, I sit relatively close to my console.

Imo clear and loud af at max setting

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Do those really make a big difference? In which way? If so I need 3 Better sign up for that discount
I was having issues with my old hdmi cable and my Ps5. The screen would go black at random and would only work if I disabled hdr. I picked up one from kontrolfreek and have had zero issues in the two weeks since I purchased it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone trying to upgrade their HDMI 2.1 cable. Superb quality and awesome cable.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I was having issues with my old hdmi cable and my Ps5. The screen would go black at random and would only work if I disabled hdr. I picked up one from kontrolfreek and have had zero issues in the two weeks since I purchased it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone trying to upgrade their HDMI 2.1 cable. Superb quality and awesome cable.

Not sure I have 2.1 but I'll keep it in mind

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Think amazon fucked up and send me a second one today. Seeing my PowerA broke after a month I'm keeping it. I'd better see no virtue signaling snake behavior from a certain person. You know who you are.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm in love with this thing. Feels great. Minimal to no drift. It as a divider (???) Where it's plugged in your console so a drunken trip on the wire wont take along your console. AAA+

Negatives:

You can't start up your xbox because is powered by it. Big deal right. But still. Secondly and more importantly. Every time the controllers turns off you'll have to manually replace your button placements. No biggie but annoying.

Maybe through it's app you can fix it to say indefinitely but I haven't looked yet.

Just received this controller.

Feels weird at first.

But once you get used to it feels great. Really like triggers and bumpers have some resistance.

They have definitely given a lot of thought in how to design the controller. Feels well developed in terms of ergonomics.

Better than MS xbox controller? Could be. Am in two minds. It's that good.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Maybeit'sthe sticks but to warm up I set my acceleration to 1 and horizontall and vertical to 4 LOL That other acceleration tot 4. POV 98.

Oops wrong thread

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
And? Did some of you tried this? If so; thoughts? I mean impressions.

I'm super happy with it but I'm thinking to modify the backbuttons. Put some thingy on it so they stand out a bit more.

Last edited:
After some extensive comparison with Xbox bundled controller I am noticing some differences:

Xbox controller has better grips. You can really clutch that controller tight.

8bitdo controller has better face buttons and d pad feel better to use.

8bitdo sticks have bigger dead zones. Slightly bigger. You only notice them in precise shooters like Halo Infinite. But upside is it will take longer before it drifts. Gives me peace of mind. And it's perfectly fine for other genres of games. But you will land those precise, satisfying shots with xbox controller a bit better.

Triggers / bumpers it's a tie. In some games i prefer resistance offered by 8bitdo. In others i prefer light touch of xbox controller.

Overall i think it's a good controller and you will be happy with it even if you have high expectations. I have moved to 8bitdo exclusively cause my xbox controller has a bit drift and it's white so gets dirty easily.

Anyone tried if this thing work on epic store?
I don't have this particular controller from 8bitdo but I have others. These controllers emulate an official Xbox controller. When you use them in a game the game just see's them as such. I would assume this one would be no different. If this is the case I can confirm that it will work on the Epic Games Store.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
After some extensive comparison with Xbox bundled controller I am noticing some differences:

Xbox controller has better grips. You can really clutch that controller tight.

8bitdo controller has better face buttons and d pad feel better to use.

8bitdo sticks have bigger dead zones. Slightly bigger. You only notice them in precise shooters like Halo Infinite. But upside is it will take longer before it drifts. Gives me peace of mind. And it's perfectly fine for other genres of games. But you will land those precise, satisfying shots with xbox controller a bit better.

Triggers / bumpers it's a tie. In some games i prefer resistance offered by 8bitdo. In others i prefer light touch of xbox controller.

Overall i think it's a good controller and you will be happy with it even if you have high expectations. I have moved to 8bitdo exclusively cause my xbox controller has a bit drift and it's white so gets dirty easily.

Awesome impressions. Highly appreciated.

I'll respond per paragraph.

I also prefer the bulkier grips on the OG controller.

Dpad and face buttons feels better for me as well.

That explaines havig to lower my sense in Halo. And indeed. Lesser chance of drift is a huge plus. I am using kontrolfreek thumbstick attachments which may or may not help out in regards to mitigating precision.

Haven't noticed a preference (yet)

I use it exclusively for Halo. I use the OG when playing Elden Ring. Not sure why.

Thanks vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal

Seems we have the same impression more or less.

I use it exclusively for Halo. I use the OG when playing Elden Ring. Not sure why.

For Halo I think those back buttons help. I have set one to jump, other to switch weapons so I never have to move my right thumb from stick. Still not fully used to it but I think it will be better once i do.

For Elden Ring i can use either controller.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
For Halo I think those back buttons help. I have set one to jump, other to switch weapons so I never have to move my right thumb from stick. Still not fully used to it but I think it will be better once i do.

For Elden Ring i can use either controller.

I bought it especially/exclusively for Halo due to the back buttons.
CoD MW2 fucked up my left thumb from pressing R3.

So I use the left back button for crouching/sliding and the right for running. You'll keep the highest tiers regarding mobility available while (mostly) having constant acces to moving and aiming.

(I use R3 for equipment)

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Just got this and :

This is a pretty darned good controller - it's as close to the feel of the official one as it can get, differences being :
- no clickety clack Dpad, it's nice, smooth and quiet.

- Ergonomics : something in-between the MS one and a DualShock 4 (size-wise), not as big as the MS one, not as small as DS4 (haven't used a Dualsense so...)

- Stick deadzones feel absolutely fine and you can also fine-tune them via the 8bitdo software, this is gonna come in handy when they'll (inevitably) start to drift.

- Triggers feel fine but they're more like the DS4 triggers than the MS/xbox ones, meaning, the trigger shape is smaller and have less travel - also fully adjustable via the software (engage/activation value).
Edit: they 99% the same as the ones on the DS4 shape-wise.

- Rumble motors feel absolutely fine , I'm mentioning this 'cause I've watched some reviews on YT were some peeps said that the vibration is "buzz-y" and feels "weirder" than the official one, well, i had a couple of official ones that "buzzed" way more than this (impulse trigger motors especially).
No problems whatsoever with mine.

- Saw some reviews on Amazon mentioning that the LB/RB buttons (bumpers) feel "mushy" and are hard to click/press, on my controller at least they feel absolutely fine , even better than the official ones dare I say.

- It can hold up to 3 profiles /button reconfigurations and you can switch to them on the fly by pressing the specific button on the controller.

- Being able to adjust headset volume by holding the profile button and Left or right on the Dpad is a God sent , amazing quality of life feature.

- Headset mute physical switch is also nice to have.

- Yeah, it also has back paddles/buttons which you can assign whichever button you want to them, they feel nice, not too mushy, not too clicky.

All in all, an amazing controller for it's price, now, the only thing left to see is how long it will last (quality wise) 'cause the official ones are made of shite and the bumpers are the first thing to go/break, plus, the dreaded stick drift.
Hope this will fare better ' cause at least when it comes to the 8bitdo PRO2 controller...I've been reading that it's not exactly a problem free product (stick drift + bad bumper buttons), let's see how the ultimate will fare 😉

TLDNTR: Amazing controller for it's price, shame that it's wired.

Edit : i can power on my console normally with the controller just like with the official one.
Regarding the "issue" a guy had with the buttons not registering to the controller's memory, it's a feature and not a fault, it's also says so on the manual : the quick assign feature (hold the 2 buttons that you wanna swap + start button on the controller) only lasts until you turn off the controller, if you want to switch buttons permanently you have to create profiles via the 8bitdo software (also available on the MS store)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Actually relating to the topic though, it looks nice but if you have an SN30 pro plus why bother, it's the same controller but with gyro, wireless, remappable back buttons (if you got the 2 variant) and a much more inspired aesthetic, it's the same price too
Don't see why you'd get this over an actual Xbox controller or one of 8bitdo's other offerings

Last edited:

GymWolf

Just got this and :

This is a pretty darned good controller - it's as close to the feel of the official one as it can get, differences being :

- Ergonomics : something in-between the MS one and a DualShock 4 (size-wise), not as big as the MS one, not as small as DS4 (haven't used a Dualsense so...)

- Stick deadzones feel absolutely fine and you can also fine-tune them via the 8bitdo software, this is gonna come in handy when they'll (inevitably) start to drift.

- triggers feel fine but they're more like the DS4 triggers than the MS/xbox ones, meaning, the trigger shape is smaller and has less travel - also fully adjustable via the software.

- Rumble motors feel absolutely fine , I'm mentioning this 'cause I've watched some reviews on YT were some peeps said that the vibration is "buzz-y" and feels "weirder" than the official one, well, i had a couple of official ones that "buzzed" way more than this (impulse trigger motors especially).

- Saw some reviews on Amazon mentioning that the LB/RB buttons (bumpers) feel "mushy" and are hard to click/press, on my controller at least they feel absolutely fine , even better than the official ones dare I say.

- It can hold up to 3 profiles /button reconfigurations and you can switch to them on the fly by pressing the specific button on the controller.

- Being able to adjust headset volume by holding the profile button and Left or right on the Dpad is a God sent , amazing quality of life feature.

- Yeah, it also has back paddles/buttons which you can assign whichever button you want to them, they feel nice, not too mushy, not too clicky.

All in all, an amazing controller for it's price, now, the only thing left to see is how long it will last (quality wise) 'cause the official ones are made of shite and the bumpers are the first thing to go/break, plus, the dreaded stick drift.
Hope this will fare better ' cause at least when it comes to the 8bitdo PRO2 controller...I've been reading that it's not exactly a problem free product (stick drift + bad bumper buttons), let's see how the ultimate will fare 😉

Edit : i can power on my console normally with the controller just like with the official one.
Regarding the "issue" a guy had with the buttons not registering to the controller's memory, it's a feature and not a fault, it's also says so on the manual : the quick assign feature (hold the 2 buttons that you wanna swap + start button on the controller) only lasts until you turn off the controller, if you want to switch buttons permanently you have to create profiles via the 8bitdo software (also available on the MS store)
Does it weight\feel more quality than the switch pro controller?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Does it weight\feel more quality than the switch pro controller?
Never used one friend so i wouldn't know.
The ultimate feels really nice though and it's definitely less weighty than the official Xbox controller.

Never in my life I've used a 3rd party controller that feels as nice as this (most have shitty analogue sticks/deadzones and Rumble motors) - and with all the (nice) features included, again, the only negative is that it's wired.

Cheers

Last edited:
Actually relating to the topic though, it looks nice but if you have an SN30 pro plus why bother, it's the same controller but with gyro, wireless, remappable back buttons (if you got the 2 variant) and a much more inspired aesthetic, it's the same price too
Don't see why you'd get this over an actual Xbox controller or one of 8bitdo's other offerings

Does it work with xbox? It needs to be licensed from xbox to work with it.

Almost picked up a Switch controller from these guys last week, not wanting to spend $70 for a pro. At the last minute though I noticed their bluetooth adapter and got that instead. Could not be happier with it. Using a Dualsense on the Switch is fantastic.

Might pick this one up for PC now that the RB on my elite controller is totally dead. The old wired 360 controller was my go-to for a long time.

GymWolf

Never used one friend so i wouldn't know.
The ultimate feels really nice though and it's definitely less weighty than the official Xbox controller.

Never in my life I've used a 3rd party controller that feels as nice as this (most have shitty analogue sticks/deadzones and Rumble motors) - and with all the (nice) features included, again, the only negative is that it's wired.

Cheers
Less weighty is a no go to me, i like weighty, big ass controllers for my big hands.

Thanks anyway.

It seems like i have to weight for nacon and his next thing, their pro revolution 2 was one of the best controller i ever had before breaking up.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just got this and :

- Triggers feel fine but they're more like the DS4 triggers than the MS/xbox ones, meaning, the trigger shape is smaller and have less travel - also fully adjustable via the software (engage/activation value).
Edit: they 99% the same as the ones on the DS4 shape-wise.

Great fucking impressions.
Wholeheartedly agree. I forgot I could tinkle with the dead zones and triggers.

One thing though. I can't turn on my S with the home button. Slighty annoying. And yes. When plugged out you'd have to reassign the button swap. Minor but mildy annoying

Does it weight\feel more quality than the than the switch pro controller?

Quality wise I'll just about give the edge to the Pro. Also regarding ergonomics; bit bulkier handles.

Pro face buttons are higher (preference) But I prefer 8bitdo's dpad over that from the Pro.

Regarding weight (think it's in grams, in any case minor difference)

UvDFakP.jpg
LQyAQzx.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

One thing though. I can't turn on my S with the home button. Slighty annoying. And yes. When plugged out you'd have to reassign the button swap. Minor but mildy annoying

Quality wise I'll just about give the edge to the Pro. Also regarding ergonomics; bit bulkier handles.

Pro face buttons are higher (preference) But I prefer 8bitdo's dpad over that from the Pro.

UvDFakP.jpg
LQyAQzx.jpg
Well shit, my opinion about the pro controller is pretty low and this feel slightly worse to you?!

Yeah definitely not a product for my needs.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Didnt say it's worse. And I don't know the precise nuances what makes up your opinion of the Pro. But you're welcome.

GymWolf

Didnt say it's worse. And I don't know the precise nuances what makes up your opinion of the Pro. But you're welcome.
Briefly:

-Too small
-Too light
-Digital shitty feeling triggers that i hate
Not sure if mine is faulty (doesn't look like it) but the usb c part in the controller is a bit flimsy, some disconnections happened that didn't happened with other controllers
-Build quality is decent, nothing more, but i have a strong firm grip, very few controllers don't make any sound in my hands (still a flaw tho)
-Really not a single aspect that shine, nor buttons or triggers or sticks, everything in the norm
-it only works with steam on pc, no epic, no uplay no nothing

For the price i felt ripped off tbh.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

UvDFakP.jpg
LQyAQzx.jpg

Weird that the controller doesn't turn on your S console - are we talking about a series S or a One S here ?

the first thing i tried when i got it yesterday was that (since i've seen people saying it doesn't) and was actually amazed that it did (XSX here)

Cheers

Banned
Warning GIF

DIAGONAL INPUTS DON'T REGISTER CORRECTLY

anyone who wants to see one of this controller's biggest issues in action, play Resident Evil 8 (the demo should work too) and move your camera diagonally.
you will find that the camera movement will be drastically too slow.

in some games this is a huge issue with this controller... i really hope they will fix it, but I have no idea how to report this as they don't seem to have a forum or official subreddit

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Weird that the controller doesn't turn on your S console - are we talking about a series S or a One S here ?

the first thing i tried when i got it yesterday was that (since i've seen people saying it doesn't) and was actually amazed that it did (XSX here)

Cheers

Yeah weird huh? Series S.
Good case for Scully and Mulder

DIAGONAL INPUTS DON'T REGISTER CORRECTLY

anyone who wants to see one of this controller's biggest issues in action, play Resident Evil 8 (the demo should work too) and move your camera diagonally.
you will find that the camera movement will be drastically too slow.

in some games this is a huge issue with this controller... i really hope they will fix it, but I have no idea how to report this as they don't seem to have a forum or official subreddit

Haven't noticed it. Oh well.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Briefly:

-Too small
-Too light
-Digital shitty feeling triggers that i hate
Not sure if mine is faulty (doesn't look like it) but the usb c part in the controller is a bit flimsy, some disconnections happened that didn't happened with other controllers
-Build quality is decent, nothing more, but i have a strong firm grip, very few controllers don't make any sound in my hands (still a flaw tho)
-Really not a single aspect that shine, nor buttons or triggers or sticks, everything in the norm
-it only works with steam on pc, no epic, no uplay no nothing

For the price i felt ripped off tbh.

You're talking about the Switch Pro right? What did you expect? Top of the line elite components using über controller?

I'm happy they even released a controller so I dont have to play with the drift sticks.

You know what's a real rip off? Xbox Elite.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You're talking about the Switch Pro right? What did you expect? Top of the line elite components using über controller?

I'm happy they even released a controller so I dont have to play with the drift sticks.

You know what's a real rip off? Xbox Elite.
I heard people praising that thing like the second coming of jesus but it was more like the turd coming of judas...

Not to be evil, but i suspect the majority were nintendo only fans who can recognise a good controller to save their lives.

I'm pretty sure that an elite controller only feels a scam when it broke, not since day one, but i never had one of those so who knows...

Last edited:
Top Bottom