• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8bitdo wired Xbox controller (with back buttons) is out now!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
2 back buttons? I want 6!

Really i really use most of my grip on the backhandles, 2 is more than enough to still be able to hold the pad firmly

I'd prefer 6 instead of 4 somewhat smaller facebutons for instance

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Really? Thats's awesome man

As for myself

New estimated delivery date:
Tuesday, June 7, 2022 - Monday, June 13, 2022

Shocked Season 4 GIF by The Office
That sucks and honestly I haven't looked at my approx delivery date

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm tired of running with A

Also, I've thought about this quite some time. With all the extra functions that preferably leaves your thumbs on the joysticks. They should've made a special Halo controller.

Am.im so smart or are they so dumb? (Probably greedy so folks buy the funfair quality Elite)

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Really i really use most of my grip on the backhandles, 2 is more than enough to still be able to hold the pad firmly

I'd prefer 6 instead of 4 somewhat smaller facebutons for instance

I use all 4 of the elite paddles and would like to map a couple of dpad directions, so 2 is not more than enough for me.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I use all 4 of the elite paddles and would like to map a couple of dpad directions, so 2 is not more than enough for me.

I'm no fan of paddles but if it works for.you then great <3

Doesn't have the dpad full customization? Having a brain fart here.

Also, add and extra MP info video with basic psych strats; patience. Flanking, using your environment for cover and confuson, don't ego challenge constantly. looking at your teammate's icons etc

Noobs will up their game in no time

Btw Behemoth Headlong or w/e is instant quit

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
But how do hold your pad handles then?

I use 2 fingera and my pinky for you know, gripping the handles and ring fingers for the back buttons

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Funny (not really)

That PowerA cheapo wired xbox controllers back buttons don't work anymore and has now decided that the right dpad doenst register. So to choose gear in Elden Ring I have to be quite patient to work my way around for getting on my desired icon.

🤡

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I can do without all that 1234 bollocks though. What made Dinput better? I assumed no one liked it. Controller support seemed to be shaky at best before Xinput. I know that's an implementation problem, but the standardisation seemed to improve PC controller support immeasurably. It was that and Steam's streamlining of installations that made PC more accessible, at least that's how I've always seen it.

I do wish MS would expand on Xinput and allow for more, but I suppose they have nothing to gain from supporting other controllers' additions (touchpad, grips, gyro)
The short explanation is that it’s faster.

Last edited:

Soodanim

The short explanation is that it’s faster.
Faster in what sense? Never saw anything about this when I looked into it. Faster to process inputs? I can't imagine that makes any difference.

All I found was that Dinput does more of everything (buttons, controllers, axes, etc)

graywolf323

Gold Member
wish Xbox let 8BitDo make a wireless controller, doesn't seem like they've allowed any 3rd parties to make wireless controllers for the Series platform?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What sane person wants a wired controller in 2022? We left that shit behind 15 years ago, leave it there.

Soodanim

Call me insane then, because my controller has been dispatched and will be here tomorrow.

I like wireless, but it isn't flawless and sometimes you want the reliability of a wired controller. With my set up, I barely notice the wire most of the time, yet I definitely do notice it when my controller disconnects because Bluetooth adapters on PC are notoriously shit.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah, some hate wired controllers. I get that. Aesthetics, sure. But its 46€ instead of 158 (Elite v2) which is well knowed for being plagued with issues for such a premium price.

I for am happy to have a controller from a good brand for one third of the price. And the cable is 119 inches (3 meters) long.

Then again maybe it sucks but some of you act like paying almost 160€ for "premium" controller riddled with issues out of the box is normal.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Call me insane then, because my controller has been dispatched and will be here tomorrow.

I like wireless, but it isn't flawless and sometimes you want the reliability of a wired controller. With my set up, I barely notice the wire most of the time, yet I definitely do notice it when my controller disconnects because Bluetooth adapters on PC are notoriously shit.

Let us know man. I'm curious AF

Soodanim

Depending on it's original feel perhaps I'll order those rubber grips for the handles and those thumbstick things. Have to do some research
I always use caps on my sticks, it's the most likely thing to wear down and/or degrade. Nothing worse than sticky rubber because it's reverting back to its natural state

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Do you at least have some towels or pillows to ease yourself? Fences are not comfortable

I'll see myself out. With that said j was on the fence myself making that career defining joke..

🤡

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I always use caps on my sticks, it's the most likely thing to wear down and/or degrade. Nothing worse than sticky rubber because it's reverting back to its natural state

I just want more grip, my thumbs slide upwards and such.. Especially on the DualShock

Soodanim

Let us know man. I'm curious AF
Guess whose controller turned up today.

First impressions are that it feels nice in the hand. I wish it was a bit bigger, but that's a personal thing and I have L-XL hands. It's about the same size as a standard Xbox controller.

The buttons feel great. None of the standard buttons click at all, which is something I find extremely off putting about the standard Xbox controllers. The back buttons have a click to them, but not in the same way that the Xbox LB/RB does and it isn't loud at all. We aren't up to Steam Controller clicks by any means.

Sticks feel good, no complaints there. Haven't tested rumble in a game, because I'm not a fan of that anyway. The triggers have it (tested in the 8bitdo app), and while it's very rattly when they kick in, I'm sure that's because the intention is to be feedback for when you're pulling the triggers which dampens it to a normal level.

The 8bitdo Ultimate Software is how you set the back buttons, as Steam does not currently acknowledge the controller as anything more than a standard Xbox controller (even with advanced feature drivers installed). If anything, letting Steam handle the controller makes it do strange things like making the Xbox button move the mouse diagonal up+left and system volume up as well as the normal guide button function.

I've emailed 8bitdo to ask about turbo, because unless Steam supports the controller so I can do whatever I want it's a bit of a deal breaker to just have single buttons only. It's fine for holding run in Elden/Souls, but I'm looking for a real QOL upgrade and that means customisation that I'm currently not getting. I essentially want Pro 2 Wireless features but with this controller design. As a standard controller, I much prefer this to the Pro+, which I had and sent back for being too noisy.

If that's not what you're looking for from this, then I'm sure everyone buying it will be happy.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

First impressions are that it feels nice in the hand. I wish it was a bit bigger, but that's a personal thing and I have L-XL hands. It's about the same size as a standard Xbox controller.

The buttons feel great. None of the standard buttons click at all, which is something I find extremely off putting about the standard Xbox controllers. The back buttons have a click to them, but not in the same way that the Xbox LB/RB does and it isn't loud at all. We aren't up to Steam Controller clicks by any means.

Sticks feel good, no complaints there. Haven't tested rumble in a game, because I'm not a fan of that anyway. The triggers have it (tested in the 8bitdo app), and while it's very rattly when they kick in, I'm sure that's because the intention is to be feedback for when you're pulling the triggers which dampens it to a normal level.

The 8bitdo Ultimate Software is how you set the back buttons, as Steam does not currently acknowledge the controller as anything more than a standard Xbox controller (even with advanced feature drivers installed). If anything, letting Steam handle the controller makes it do strange things like making the Xbox button move the mouse diagonal up+left and system volume up as well as the normal guide button function.

I've emailed 8bitdo to ask about turbo, because unless Steam supports the controller so I can do whatever I want it's a bit of a deal breaker to just have single buttons only. It's fine for holding run in Elden/Souls, but I'm looking for a real QOL upgrade and that means customisation that I'm currently not getting. I essentially want Pro 2 Wireless features but with this controller design. As a standard controller, I much prefer this to the Pro+, which I had and sent back for being too noisy.

If that's not what you're looking for from this, then I'm sure everyone buying it will be happy.

Great impressions especially because those features you'd want I dont care about. Any stuck drift or a loose dpad?

Shits sound perfect for Halo

Thanks for your effort Soodanim Soodanim

Perhaps a comparison photo next to the OG series S/X? If not no worries °<3

Last edited:

Soodanim

Great impressions especially because those features you'd want I dont care about. Any stuck drift or a loose dpad?

Shits sound perfect for Halo

Thanks for your effort Soodanim Soodanim

Perhaps a comparison photo next to the OG series S/X? If not no worries °<3
In the 8bitdo software you can disable deadzones (after a warning about drift), and they're perfectly centred on mine. I imagine this will be a great Halo controller.

I don't have any other Xbox controllers to hand, but I'll put together the controllers I do have later this evening

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
In the 8bitdo software you can disable deadzones (after a warning about drift), and they're perfectly centred on mine. I imagine this will be a great Halo controller.

I don't have any other Xbox controllers to hand, but I'll put together the controllers I do have later this evening

Yeah I read something about thumbstick software, awesome.

And hey if its inconvenient dont bother with those pics mate. <3

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Maybe it's me but that's one beautiful controller! Seems a bit square but whatever I need to hold it first.. thanks again Soodanim Soodanim !!! Much appreciated mate =) Cord long huh?

Damn, the thing about the buttons not being as noisy as the standard Series controller makes me want to get this, however being wired it’s a pain for me

GymWolf

What sane person wants a wired controller in 2022? We left that shit behind 15 years ago, leave it there.
Yeah, not having to worry about battery life, usually better input lag and no flimsy usb ports (when you play while in charge) is a relief...

Last edited:

GymWolf

I need to know if the controller work with the epic store.

Thanks.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I need to know if the controller work with the epic store.

Thanks.

Don't know anything about Epic but the controller runs on windows 10 and 11. Maybe that helps. Maybe not.

That dpad looks like the snes one <3

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don't know anything about Epic but the controller runs on windows 10 and 11. Maybe that helps. Maybe not.

That dpad looks like the snes one <3
It doesn't help because windows accept any type of controller nowadays and my semi faulty xone controller only purpose is to play games from the epic store since epic only recognise the original wireless xone controller.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It doesn't help because windows accept any type of controller nowadays and my semi faulty xone controller only purpose is to play games from the epic store since epic only recognise the original wireless xone controller.

I are, hope you get your answer soon

CS Lurker

I think I'm gonna buy it to play on my PC.

Does anyone know what the latency on 8Bitdo's wired controllers usually is?

And what about the d-pad? I use the Switch's pro controller on some steam games and the d-pad is that usual garbage, with many wrong inputs (Nintendo really dropped the quality on switch...)

I would like it more if they just went with the L/R/LT/RT from the xbox controller.

Soodanim

I need something more than "should" before buying the thing since the only use i have for it is the epic store.

Thanks anyway.
I don't have EGS, but it's recognised as an Xbox controller by Steam. I'm as certain as I can be without testing EGS that because it's an officially licensed Xbox controller, it will be seen as an Xbox controller unless there's workaround code specifically for it. Almost to its detriment if you're looking to fine tune back button mapping like I am, but their goal is compatibility.

The 8bitdo app handles the specific settings within the controller like mappings and axis tuning, but to everything else it's an Xbox controller.

Unless EGS does something funky where it doesn't accept Xbox controllers, you shouldn't have problems. I don't think MS wouldn't have given them branding rights if it didn't work out of the box like any other officially licensed product.

I hope that helps, Wolf

GymWolf

I don't have EGS, but it's recognised as an Xbox controller by Steam. I'm as certain as I can be without testing EGS that because it's an officially licensed Xbox controller, it will be seen as an Xbox controller unless there's workaround code specifically for it. Almost to its detriment if you're looking to fine tune back button mapping like I am, but their goal is compatibility.

The 8bitdo app handles the specific settings within the controller like mappings and axis tuning, but to everything else it's an Xbox controller.

Unless EGS does something funky where it doesn't accept Xbox controllers, you shouldn't have problems. I don't think MS wouldn't have given them branding rights if it didn't work out of the box like any other officially licensed product.

I hope that helps, Wolf
I don't wanna sound like a jackass, but like i said, "should" is not enough with all the fuckery of pc gaming.

I'm not in a hurry so i can wait for people here or reddit to find out if the device work with a direct try.

Again, thanks for the write up, i'm grateful anyway.

Soodanim

I don't wanna sound like a jackass, but like i said, "should" is not enough with all the fuckery of pc gaming.

I'm not in a hurry so i can wait for people here or reddit to find out if the device work with a direct try.

Again, thanks for the write up, i'm grateful anyway.
Understandable, a stranger's partial confidence doesn't carry much weight without proof. If you're not in a rush then there's no harm in waiting, as you say. There should be enough feedback before long, and it's not like they're a limited run item.

I'm sending mine back, because despite its quality it's just not what I'm looking for. My existing controllers function just fine, so it would be a waste to keep it and not have it be my main.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
Understandable, a stranger's partial confidence doesn't carry much weight without proof. If you're not in a rush then there's no harm in waiting, as you say. There should be enough feedback before long, and it's not like they're a limited run item.

I'm sending mine back, because despite its quality it's just not what I'm looking for. My existing controllers function just fine, so it would be a waste to keep it and not have it be my main.
I'm mostly interested in how the d-pad feels, I absolutely hate the one on the Series controller due to how stupidly loud the clicking noise is so if I bought this it'd become my main controller for my Xbox Series X

Soodanim

I'm mostly interested in how the d-pad feels, I absolutely hate the one on the Series controller due to how stupidly loud the clicking noise is so if I bought this it'd become my main controller for my Xbox Series X
Trust me, if a controller makes noise I know about it. I hate it, I think all controllers should be silent. The only noise you're going to hear is the back buttons, LS/RS, and your own sighs of relief when you realise you finally got an Xbox controller that isn't clicky. For the dpad's feel, it's very SNES-like in the same way that their other controllers are. Look up 8bitdo reviews and you'll get good enough feedback.

Top Bottom