• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8bitdo wired Xbox controller (with back buttons) is out now!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Holy Moly! Got mine today!!!

oGze3kt.jpg

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Quick impressions:
Got a white and black one in last week.
Pros:
  • They feel weighty and well made
  • Very long cable
  • Headphone/mic jack
  • Physical switch to turn off mic portion of headphone jack
  • Software allows for a ton of customization
  • The controller is a good size in my hill giant hands
Cons:
  • I don’t like the travel distance of the buttons on the back of the controller. Gives a “mushy” impression to me.
  • The dpad feels very stiff to me - i think it works well for cardinal directions but the diagonal movement on the d pad doesn’t feel good imo. It is responsive, but it feels stiff/rigid during use. Maybe that will loosen up after a while
I used on my pc, tried on my Xbox’s and a Mister. No comparability issues at all.

Did not work with chromebooks.
Did not work with Nvidia Shield.
Does not work with android using an OTG adapter.

(very limited testing on those devices so YMMV).

“8 out of 10” worth the price imo.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
uHgKRmD.jpg

Doenst work for me or I'm doing it wrong.

I'm holding A and right backbutton simultaneously and then press Star until the led blinks for a couple seconds. Nothing happens

Their website and app are weird af as well

Something worked why I dunno

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What kind of buttons are the bumpers? Are they clicky like first-party controllers? My biggest complaint with the first-party controllers (specifically the Elite controllers) is how quickly those buttons break and need replaced. Do the bumpers on this controller seem like they’ll last?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No sure what I did but A is on right backbutton but getting L3 on the left backbutton seems impossible

Fuck it I'll figure it out tomorrow. Those vodka pear juice drinks don't help. But it should be so easy.. frustrating

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That might be worth it just to help me finish infinite on legend mode tbfh.

From what I remember it's mostly fucking up whoever while maintaining as much as ammo and powerweapons trying to trigger checkpoints by triggering checkpoints from backing up (distance) it's like blue cheese the game.
Remember spawnpoints and focus on jackals and brutes, anyone that have random insta kill abilities. Again keep your distance. Make them wonder away from their group..sorry bit drunk but it'l help for sure

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
From what I remember it's mostly fucking up whoever while maintaining as much as ammo and powerweapons trying to trigger checkpoints. It's like blue cheese the game.
Remember spawnpoints and focus on jackals and brutes, anyone the have random insta kill abilities. Again keep your distance. Make the wonder away from their group

Yeah I'm slowly getting there. It's just really rough to spend hours on one part slowly chipping away and then BOOM a Jackal one shots you out of literal nowhere. I need the extra triggers for faster grapples and grenade throws. Thanks for the advice though!

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah I'm slowly getting there. It's just really rough to spend hours on one part slowly chipping away and then BOOM a Jackal one shots you out of literal nowhere. I need the extra triggers for faster grapples and grenade throws. Thanks for the advice though!

Those spawns are most of the time at the same time an place. Use that. But yeah I dont like having to momentarily leave my vision to run for example.

Loving the controller so far. Back buttons are so necessary because my hands get so sore from work everyday. The bumpers are a bit smaller than the normal Xbox controller, but it's a small sacrifice. I prefer the weight of the Xbox controller but I understand that's because of the battery pack.

Overall, very impressed. Minor complaints but the back buttons make up for it 100%. Use those fingers you aren't using anyways!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's working yay

Going to look for some grip and thumstick condoms

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I get why but it sucks you aren't able to power up the xbox through the controller

Because it's powered by the Xbox's usb I guess?

sainraja

I mean have you ever owned a PS4? the Dualshock 4 was basically a wired controller half the time with the dogshit battery life it has lol.

so many people used wired controllers last gen 🙃 even if they didn't want to
You love to go to extreme exaggerations, don't you?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I emailed 8bitdo when I first got mine, and they said no turbo. Didn't say anything else except that not all controllers have the same features.

I've never cared about turbo; felt like cheating although I can see why someone would like the function.

You know. It's maybe minor but exchanging buttons on the 25€ PowerA kept the exchanged button/function on its original button. It just duplicated its function. So say A is for uniform selection. Now A does nothing and I have to use the right backbutton to select stuff.... Rolls eyes

Last edited:

sainraja

not an exaggeration, I literally had to plug that thing in almost every session I played.
I didn't have to plug-in mine as often as you are saying and that was kinda my point. Experiences vary but you take yours and apply it globally. Now I know the battery on the controller isn't the greatest, but you don't need to keep it plugged in all the time. Maybe I don't play for that many hours where I found myself needing to do that.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I don't trust 8Bitdo yet, it seems like the haven't mastered their Dpad. The Sn30+ Pro 2 has a faulty Dpad some have noted

They're getting close, but I'm not forking over any money to a company that doesn't perfect their controllers. Most Nintendo controllers works to perfection and all Xbox controllers work to perfection that I've tried. Going with the professionals is the better option. Although, that Sn30+ Pro 2 does look like a godly controller

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't trust 8Bitdo yet, it seems like the haven't mastered their Dpad. The Sn30+ Pro 2 has a faulty Dpad some have noted

They're getting close, but I'm not forking over any money to a company that doesn't perfect their controllers. Most Nintendo controllers works to perfection and all Xbox controllers work to perfection that I've tried. Going with the professionals is the better option. Although, that Sn30+ Pro 2 does look like a godly controller

Its about having a controller with backbuttons that doesn't come faulty out of the box and at third the price. Dpad is fine. I need rubber grip and thumstick grips tho

Do you own a PS5 btw?

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I didn't have to plug-in mine as often as you are saying and that was kinda my point. Experiences vary but you take yours and apply it globally. Now I know the battery on the controller isn't the greatest, but you don't need to keep it plugged in all the time. Maybe I don't play for that many hours where I found myself needing to do that.

When used as a remote for late night YouTube then yes, you need to charge regularly

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yiu can choose for mixed concave and convex but whe looking at their products there's no specific mention

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

dont know which to get

switch, Series S
PS4Pro/5

like which ones give a decent upgrade for 1 4k and 2 1080p TVs???

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Its about having a controller with backbuttons that doesn't come faulty out of the box and at third the price. Dpad is fine. I need rubber grip and thumstick grips tho

Do you own a PS5 btw?
Don't own a PS5 yet but by summer of 2023 I might. I'm looking forward to it too

I'm a huge fan of controllers in general, they're neat. Not too knowledgeable about them, but a great controller in your hands is second to none. The N64 controller and the games for the system worked hand in hand to perfection. Could argue the same for the SNES controller and its console's games. That's what I look for in a controller, one that is close to perfect in quality which will also enhance the gaming experience. I'm gonna have to try out one from 8Bitdo and see how a controller with back buttons can change things. That company is almost there, but for now I'm holding off on a purchase just in case

I've bought Power A controllers and they're some of the faultiest around. If they work, they're great. But the issue is, they break very easy and do not last. Wired or wireless, Power A is a gamble

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Don't own a PS5 yet but by summer of 2023 I might. I'm looking forward to it too

I'm a huge fan of controllers in general, they're neat. Not too knowledgeable about them, but a great controller in your hands is second to none. The N64 controller and the games for the system worked hand in hand to perfection. Could argue the same for the SNES controller and its console's games. That's what I look for in a controller, one that is close to perfect in quality which will also enhance the gaming experience. I'm gonna have to try out one from 8Bitdo and see how a controller with back buttons can change things. That company is almost there, but for now I'm holding off on a purchase just in case

I've bought Power A controllers and they're some of the faultiest around. If they work, they're great. But the issue is, they break very easy and do not last. Wired or wireless, Power A is a gamble

Bought a PowerA myself. Backbuttons don't worm anymore as well as the righ dpad. Worked great for a month or so.

I was into that particular 8bitdo because it's back buttons help tremendously playing Halo so not sure what worth they have for you. It's dpad feels a bit less rigid and sturdy than the SNES one (which I prefer: the 8bitdo version) albeit more or less the same on first glance, shape, feel, etc Haven't had the chance to really test it out though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom