• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8K and the PlayStation 5

Celcius

°Temp. member
2 years ago I got a PlayStation 5 and the box says that the console supports 8K. Now here we are in 2022 and this still isn’t true (yet?).

I know the 8K TV market is small but that isn’t the point of this thread. Why did Sony even put it on the box in the first place? Do they still plan to add this feature at some point in the future or have they abandoned it entirely? If a console manufacturer advertises a feature but then ends up not adding the feature until 5 years into the console’s lifespan for example, is that accurate advertising?

As far as use cases, The Tourist runs internally at 8K on ps5 but downsamples to 4K because the console doesn’t support it and the developer says they’ll release a patch once the console does support it. The new 2D TMNT game already runs at 4K 60 fps on ps4 pro and they’re releasing an identical ps5 version… could it have supported 8K if the console allowed it? Maybe some ps2 games could also be remastered to run at 8K? Could Persona 5 Royal have been released on PS5 in 8K perhaps?

Do I plan to buy an 8K tv soon? No, but I like tech and it would be very interesting to see. I didn’t own a 4K TV when the PS4 Pro came out but I’m glad that it did support 4K because later years when I bought a PS5 I was able to catch up on many games I had missed while playing in 4K. What do you guys think… false advertising or are they actually going to add it someday?

plip.plop

It's just a way for the company to convey the idea of future-proofing its products. It will be patched in and companies can decide if they want to put the time and resources to support it. It's no different than 3rd party willingness to create dual-sense features for their games on PS5. If the demand is there support will follow

I think it's 8K resolution capable for movies/film. But I could be wrong. However, as far as 8K gaming goes here is a game that is the closest to running at 8K on Xbox Series X and PS5. It's called The Toryst.

According to Digital Foundry it's the first game to run at 60 FPS and Native 8K on console.

Last edited:
iu

PS3 = 720p is considered just "HD". some games might have done 1080p.
PS4 = full hd
PS4 Pro = somewhere between full hd/4k (1440-1800p). not all games could run at native 4K (2160p)
PS5 = 4K native max. some games can do 60fps but 2 years in are finding it hard to keep that up.

you expect PS5 to suddenly jump to 8K gaming even at 30fps?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
iu

PS3 = 720p is considered just "HD". some games might have done 1080p.
PS4 = full hd
PS4 Pro = somewhere between full hd/4k (1440-1800p). not all games could run at native 4K (2160p)
PS5 = 4K native max. some games can do 60fps but 2 years in are finding it hard to keep that up.

you expect PS5 to suddenly jump to 8K gaming even at 30fps?
Perhaps not but then my question is why did they even put it on the box? Although as someone said, maybe they just meant for video and movies but they haven’t added that yet either.

Last edited:
Perhaps not but then my question is why did they even put it on the box. Although as someone said, maybe they just meant for video and movies but they haven’t added that yet either.
marketing.

fooling people into thinking it meant 8K gaming. like how the PS4 Pro was marketed as a 4K console when it never could manage 4K all the time. like how sony marketed the SSD as a game changing upgrade when all it really meant was faster loading speeds.

the PS5 might do 8K but it might only mean 8K photos or video playback...or basic video games with 2d graphics or some shit.

Ignore 8k TVs.
Europe is planning to block them due to high power usage anyway.
8K tvs are honestly pointless unless you sit a few feet away from the TV or the display itself is like 80" at least. i think 110-120" is ideal size for 8K. the calculations aren't fresh in my memory.

when i upgraded to a 4K tv it was basically useless. can hardly tell a difference between 1080-4K unless i sit closer and i can't do that without totally rearranging my room. i should've got a 65-75" tv.

The Touryst runs at 8K on PS5, it's the only version of the game that's 8K as well (at least on consoles).

So that 8K label wasn't technically a lie, you just shouldn't expect games like GOW Ragnarok to run at 8K with an acceptable framerate. Obviously.

I think it's 8K resolution capable for movies/film. But I could be wrong. However, as far as 8K gaming goes here is a game that is the closest to running at 8K on Xbox Series X and PS5. It's called The Toryst.

According to Digital Foundry it's the first game to run at 60 FPS and Native 8K on console.

It's 6K on Series X, 8K on PS5.

Last edited:
arguments aside, i don't expect any meaningful gaming at 8K until PS7.

PS6 might do 5K or 8K with upscaling but native 8K will be the odd exception.

so ~2040 by the time 8K gaming is on consoles
The Touryst runs at 8K on PS5, it's the only version of the game that's 8K as well (at least on consoles).

So that 8K label wasn't technically a lie, you just shouldn't expect games like GOW Ragnarok to run at 8K with an acceptable framerate. Obviously.
looks like a silly tilt shifted minecraft spin off. if that's the only game that can do 8K it says a lot lol

Last edited:
oh and on PC hardly anyone plays at 8K so yeah.

most people still play at 1080p. 1440p is the step between 1080-2160p. not even 5K is really chased on PC.

only with 4000 cards is 8K actually possible in most games.

DaGwaphics

It does surprise me that 8k output through the hdmi hasn't been added in yet. I don't see why the consoles couldn't handle 8k media playback.

Kilau

Gold Member
Because they put 4K on the PS4 Pro box so they needed to put something bigger on the PS5 box.

I’m sure the hardware is capable of outputting an 8K signal since it’s an HDMI 2.1 device but if the software ever supports it remains to be seen.

yurinka

2 years ago I got a PlayStation 5 and the box says that the console supports 8K. Now here we are in 2022 and this still isn’t true (yet?).

I know the 8K TV market is small but that isn’t the point of this thread. Why did Sony even put it on the box in the first place? Do they still plan to add this feature at some point in the future or have they abandoned it entirely? If a console manufacturer advertises a feature but then ends up not adding the feature until 5 years into the console’s lifespan for example, is that accurate advertising?

As far as use cases, The Tourist runs internally at 8K on ps5 but downsamples to 4K because the console doesn’t support it and the developer says they’ll release a patch once the console does support it. The new 2D TMNT game already runs at 4K 60 fps on ps4 pro and they’re releasing an identical ps5 version… could it have supported 8K if the console allowed it? Maybe some ps2 games could also be remastered to run at 8K? Could Persona 5 Royal have been released on PS5 in 8K perhaps?

Do I plan to buy an 8K tv soon? No, but I like tech and it would be very interesting to see. I didn’t own a 4K TV when the PS4 Pro came out but I’m glad that it did support 4K because later years when I bought a PS5 I was able to catch up on many games I had missed while playing in 4K. What do you guys think… false advertising or are they actually going to add it someday?
As I remember the 8K listed there was for video, not for gaming. In any case, 4K already is a small portion of the install base, so 8K tvs must be a tiny portion of the tvs at home. Too small for devs even considering to make something for it.

Then we have the horsepower: the console could output 8K but that requires way more horsepower than 4K output, meaning that most AA, AAA and even some indies would struggle in framerate when running at 8K. I think only some some very optimized games with very simple visuals could go 8K with decent fps.

Last edited:

What's the point this game being 8k? Sometimes less is enough.

UnNamed

Banned

Just internally. PS5 doesn't support 8K output for gaming, for now.
Maybe it miss some library or maybe the console can support 8K/60 but only in theory because of some other problem.

I suppose the problem is reach 8K/60 is very difficult despite HDMI 2.1 should support it. Many cables out there barely support a proper 4K output. Probably there is no cable to support true 8K/60 or maybe some HDMI2.1 chipsets aren't good enough.
The problem could be solved by increasing the color compression to have more bandwith and less problem with cheap cables.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Ignore 8k TVs.

Yes and not far off - banned from next March.

I guess if you really want an 8K TV then buy one now. Good luck finding content to watch on it, let alone a video game to play.

I dont know anyone who owns one, but I guess those that do must have some serious buyers remorse.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes and not far off - banned from next March.

I guess if you really want an 8K TV then buy one now. Good luck finding content to watch on it, let alone a video game to play.

I dont know anyone who owns one, but I guess those that do must have some serious buyers remorse.
I am onboard 4k train even when I had it on 27" monitor few years ago... but honestly, with TAA and DLSS and FSR... 4k target is perfect. 8k really is a waste of resources and energy. I might be with Eu on this one :p

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Ignore 8k TVs.
There is no block of 8K TVs per se, if TV manufacturers can make an efficient TV. They will have to use better CPUs and not old ass tech that draws a shit ton of power.

tommib

Why are you anxious for a feature that no one can use? Maybe Netflix will eventually stream at 8K? Can’t see the change happening anytime soon though.

It’s not false advertising it’s just unusable. For now.

That's a class action lawsuit in waiting. It's being almost 2 years they are selling PS5 with 8K on the box. I am quite surprised as they already got problems with Killzone SF resolution on PS4. They never learn.

What's the point this game being 8k? Sometimes less is enough.
The same reason they are doing it on PC since decades: Supersampling. DF found the game really benefit from 8K downsampling compared to Xbox 6K.

Last edited:
I don't see 8k being a thing (outside of some niche titles) on the PS6 and PS7.
PS5 launched at a performance level of around an RTX 2080 or so. An RTX 4090 can do 8K@30. If PS6 releases at a time when 4090 level performance is cheap enough to put it into a console sized box, we might get to see 8K games next gen. I wouldn't bet on it, either.

Kuranghi

The PS5 has 32Gbps of bandwidth on the HDMI 2.1 port, 8K@30hz + HDR (ie 10bit colour depth) w/ 4:2:0/4:2:2 chroma requires like ~32.08Gbps so not even sure its possible and it would feel awful because it would have 30hz frame time lag, not like 4K@30fps games which are (usually) running half-refresh rate v-sync on a 4K@60hz signal. Fuggetaboutit!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wanted to say "what a hideous design". But then I remembered that my PS5 looks like that, just not to scale. I need to grab those retro plates that DeepEnigma DeepEnigma recommended, ASAP.
I guess I shouldn’t show you these as well…

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I guess I shouldn’t show you these as well…

These are lovely but I'll pass. I'm getting that new Edge™... can't game on a controller without at least 2 back paddles. Not possible.

Edge would look sick with retro grey and that deep, deep black in the middle.

chefs-kiss-french-chef.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yes, console makers have been doing it since the begging of time, however, there is only one console that has every been held accountable to marketing claims here on gaf, it's the xbox Series S. It gets special treatment since you know, it ruined next gen all by itself.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They're also blocking any type of affordable energy. They will be burning coal and wood this winter.
That's false.
There are going to be nuclear plants even in Poland.
Europe is all about going green...
But the war put a strain on resources. It would be great if we had coal this winter

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These are lovely but I'll pass. I'm getting that new Edge™... can't game on a controller without at least 2 back paddles. Not possible.

Edge would look sick with retro grey and that deep, deep black in the middle.

chefs-kiss-french-chef.gif
Sony is missing out. They need to get on that Retro PS1 and PS2 color designs.

Top Bottom