• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8K and the PlayStation 5

EDMIX

2 years ago I got a PlayStation 5 and the box says that the console supports 8K. Now here we are in 2022 and this still isn’t true (yet?).

???

huh?

Soooooo there is already a game that supports 8k on PS5, I have no clue where you heard that "isn't true" and it supports 8k regarding video

scydrex

I believe there is a disclaimer somwhere on the box saying some features will come with a future software update.
So don't worry OP, it's gonna be there soon*
*no longer than 4 years

EDIT: It says on the front: 8K, 4K, 120 Hz and HDR content require compatible display and supporting software. There's also a smallprint on the back of the box saying design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Exactly they just have to release a firmware to support 8k res for media playback like they did with 1440p.

Xbox Series chessboards to 8K on 8k TV's. Unfortunately the PS5 only has checkerboarding capabilities, which doesn't scale to 8K with current GPUs.

Banned
Isn't this a problem with ALL CONSOLES? PS5 and Xbox Series X? Series X has 8K printed in the APU itself...

no it's not. the PS5 is the only console I've ever seen that advertises an output resolution that is not supported at all.

and the final SX APU doesn't have 8K on it I think (not that it matters)

This thread title is 8K and PLAYSTATION 5, but to my knowledge, the PS5 is the only one running a title at native 8K 60 fps.

the PS5 can not output 8K, it doesn't really matter if a game renders at 8K internally as that is only used for Antialiasing purposes (like Okami HD on PS3 rendered internally at 4K for Antialiasing)

it's simply misleading to have a gigantic 8K logo on the box and not support 8K 2 years after the console launched.

Pedro Motta

no it's not. the PS5 is the only console I've ever seen that advertises an output resolution that is not supported at all.

the PS5 can not output 8K, it doesn't really matter if a game renders at 8K internally as that is only used for Antialiasing purposes (like Okami HD on PS3 rendered internally at 4K for Antialiasing)

it's simply misleading to have a gigantic 8K logo on the box and not support 8K 2 years after the console launched.
STFU with your bullshit.

uyomBtP.jpg

This is directly from Xbox website.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
the PS4 Pro does support 4K.
the PS5 does not support 8K.

ergo, Sony is advertising a feature on the box that the system does not have.
that is clearly false advertisement and should not be tolerated.

and it's not even a small print on the back of the box, nope, it's on the front as a promoted feature.

screenshot_20221107_1vzi03.jpg

I don't disagree with you, though it's really semantics on the older systems. A system that advertises 4k gaming but hardly ever hits that goal is in fact, still very misleading, intentionally so.

OZ9000

Banned
8K is utterly pointless when 4K looks razor sharp and free of any aliasing.

I just want 4k60 to be adopted as a gaming standard and then graphics can truly reach CGI.

Hell 4K movies on my LG C1 look 10x better than real life.

Last edited:

Banned
STFU with your bullshit.

uyomBtP.jpg

This is directly from Xbox website.

the Xbox One X not only supports 4K it also has many native 4K games, including RDR2 which many still consider to be one of the best looking games ever

are you too stupid to distinguish between render and output resolution?

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

the Xbox One X not only supports 4K it also has many native 4K games, including RDR2 which many still consider to be one of the best looking games ever

are you too stupid to distinguish between render and output resolution?
What? Xbox One X?

Bottom line is: Microsoft is doing the same as Sony, advertising blatantly 8K OUTPUT RESOLUTION when neither does it at the moment.

You're calling me stupid, but you are the one that is insisting on spewing bullshit.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Ow look whats written on the fucking back:

rBVa4V-3Zx2AEf1oAAPgqNSLFks634.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member
Can we please refrain from the name calling and be a little more civil y'all? 8K isn't that serious :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Banned
What? Xbox One X?

Bottom line is: Microsoft is doing the same as Sony, advertising blatantly 8K OUTPUT RESOLUTION when neither does it at the moment.

You're calling me stupid, but you are the one that is insisting on spewing bullshit.

does the PS5 have that golden 8k logo on the box?
YES

does the PS5 support 8K output? NO.

Sony is misleading with thag box, very easy and very straight forward

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

does the Xbox SX box have a gigantic golden 8K logo on the box? NO.

does the PS5 have that logo on the box?
YES

does the PS5 support 8K output? NO.

Sony is misleading with thag box, Microsoft is not. very easy and very straight forward
You defy logic my man. I hope someone here has the patience to explain it to you like you explain to a 4 year old. I don't, I'm out.

Banned
You defy logic my man. I hope someone here has the patience to explain it to you like you explain to a 4 year old. I don't, I'm out.

answer these questions:

1: does the PS5 box have a golden 8K logo on it?

2: does the PS5 support 8K output?

3: does the One X have a 4K logo on the box?

4: does the One X support 4K output?

anser these truthfully and then tell me what the difference here is.
it's really not hard, but it seems we need to stoop to toddler levels here. there's no ambiguity here, it's very simple, super simple in fact

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

answer these questions:

1: does the PS5 box have a golden 8K logo on it?

2: does the PS5 support 8K output?

3: does the One X have a 4K logo on the box?

4: does the One X support 4K output?

anser these truthfully and then tell me what the difference here is.
it's really not hard, but it seems we need to stoop to toddler levels here. there's no ambiguity here, it's very simple, super simple in fact
Why are you talking about the Xbox One X?

Celcius

°Temp. member
The other day I saw the box of my ps5 and thought about this thread lol.
At this point I’m calling it now - the original non-pro ps5 never gets 8K support, despite saying it on the box from day one.
It’s now 2024 and 8k just never really took off.

danklord

Gold Member
While it is misleading, it's technically possible with HDMI 2.1. So, the console is certified and rated to output 8k, even though it doesn't.

Sushi_Combo

It is misleading and I'm surprised no class action suit has been filed especially in the states where you can sue anyone for anything.

Bojji

The other day I saw the box of my ps5 and thought about this thread lol.
At this point I’m calling it now - the original non-pro ps5 never gets 8K support, despite saying it on the box from day one.
It’s now 2024 and 8k just never really took off.

Who TF has an 8K TV? So overkill. UE5 games running at 720p and people pushing for 8K.

There is no 8k content or any really good 8k connection standard. HDMI 2.1 enough for 8k 60 with HDR but not every device will support it.

For example ps5 has 32gb/s, it has ability for 8k 60 without hdr
qT1dDl6.jpg

But with HDR it can't do it

CkncjPD.jpg

Xbox could do it but looks like Ms doesn't care. I think Sony was fucked by HDMI chip manufactures and they expected full 48gb/s but got 32, hahaha.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
There is no 8k content or any really good 8k connection standard. HDMI 2.1 enough for 8k 60 with HDR but not every device will support it.

For example ps5 has 32gb/s, it has ability for 8k 60 without hdr
qT1dDl6.jpg

But with HDR it can't do it

CkncjPD.jpg

Xbox could do it but looks like Ms doesn't care. I think Sony was fucked by HDMI chip manufactures and they expected full 48gb/s but got 32, hahaha.

Exactly. The decision to put 8K on the box was likely boardroom marketing decision knowing that they and Xbox have the same HDMI standard, they couldn't go out there with the Series X promising 8k on the box with Sony only promising 4K. I can see that decision being made pre launch.

Top Bottom