• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90% of Call of Duty Vanguard Xbox sales, in United Kingdom, were digital

GHG

Did I say it wasn't? Ps5 is lagging xsx. That's what I said. Chill out

This is what you said:

I wonder why the PS owners are lagging behind so much on digital adoption.

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

kirby007

If you are done being a kid and playing the "triggering" game — who can trigger the other first, blah blah, you have to understand the value that Game Pass offers people. The value proposition it has, is access to a collection of games for a single subscription fee removing the need for people who are subscribing to it, to buy games. That is naturally going to have an effect on purchases, which should result in less purchases overall for games that are available on the service. If that's not happening at a large enough scale then people might see the collection as a bonus and are only subscribing for online play BUT Microsoft hasn't removed the option to subscribe to gold completely for online play so we can't really reach that conclusion either. They only got rid of the 12 year option as far as I know, a move they made to nudge people over to Game Pass Ultimate.

Stop calling people idiots when the very point of a forum is for people to discuss things. And if you are using a game that wasn't on the service to prove the point that GP doesn't affect sales, well, then it shouldn't (hopefully) take you long to realize why that is. :D

People that are fully investing themselves into Game Pass are buying less games. Specially if you compare their behavior to before Game Pass was introduced; to deny that is just being foolish.
So we just ignore the people like myself, that have game pass and got the forza premium addons which they normally wouldn't have?

sainraja

So we just ignore the people like myself, that have game pass and got the forza premium addons which they normally wouldn't have?
No, I wasn't ignoring that, lol. There will still be some people who buy series they are interested in regardless of Game Pass status.
You say you bought the add-ons, meaning the DLC. Did you also buy the game?

I've seen people talk about Game Pass outside of this forum. People generally subscribe for things they want and if they do that, they aren't interested in buying. For example, Bungie or Microsoft are removing Beyond Light from Game Pass and the Destiny community that I am a part of were annoyed because 1. they'd now have to buy it, or 2. have to do without Beyond light, 3. some who will now buy it but aren't happy about it.

That shows that they weren't interested in buying it as long as it remained on Game Pass. Various factors go into play. I understand it's not black and white but most people won't also buy things they can get access to via a service. They will just play it and be done with it.

Last edited:

kirby007

No, I wasn't ignoring that, lol. There will still be some people who buy series they are interested in regardless of Game Pass status. You say you bought the add-ons, meaning the DLC. Did you also buy the game?
No I do that in 90 days with 20% off, but talking about the fact that it might effect sales, doesn't equate to wards the spending won't happen

sainraja

No I do that in 90 days with 20% off, but talking about the fact that it might effect sales, doesn't equate to wards the spending won't happen
Ah so you didn't buy the game. That's 1 less sale for Forza Horizon 5!! I'm kidding but not everyone acts like you bud.

Last edited:

kirby007

Ah so you didn't buy the game. That's 1 less sale for Forza Horizon 5!!
partly, you just get 20% discount after 3 months, its shifting sales. Just looking at the week one sales is shortsighted ( god of war, brain training, nintendogs any evergreen you can think about )

sainraja

partly, you just get 20% discount after 3 months, its shifting sales. Just looking at the week one sales is shortsighted ( god of war, brain training, nintendogs any evergreen you can think about )
I understand that. People wait for sales even when it comes to physical copies of games they are willing to wait for (without the advantage of being able play until then, yes.) But for most people, just having access is enough. The need to buy something isn't always there. From my own observations outside of this forum, people are OK with not buying something if they are just able to play it and get what they want out of it.

kirby007

Hard agree, just pointing out that it isn't as onesided as having a game on game pass is equal towards loss of revenue or any of the other nonsense

kingfey

Banned
Hard agree, just pointing out that it isn't as onesided as having a game on game pass is equal towards loss of revenue or any of the other nonsense
Physical copy is always a loss lead for developers.

We players might like physical games, but developers will lose tons of money because of it.

If 10k people sell copy of physical copies, that copy can be sold for 10x to 30x of its life time. That is 100k to 300k copies, which developers wont get the money for.

Another loss lead, comes from warehouse cost, shipping cost, retailer space cost.

For digital, its just 30% for store owner.

This is why physical games are bad in the long term for developers. They wont get a dime for used copies, something most gaffers here do it. When they beat a game, they sell it, then complain about game preservation.

ethomaz

Banned

We players might like physical games, but developers will lose tons of money because of it.

If 10k people sell copy of physical copies, that copy can be sold for 10x to 30x of its life time. That is 100k to 300k copies, which developers wont get the money for.

Another loss lead, comes from warehouse cost, shipping cost, retailer space cost.

This is why physical games are bad in the long term for developers. They wont get a dime for used copies, something most gaffers here do it. When they beat a game, they sell it, then complain about game preservation.
Developers has nothing to do with that… physical or digital they got the same.

Publishers receive more with digital.
But even so the difference is small if you are a Publisher without a Store Front… the cut the retailer get on physical goes to Store owner in digital case (~30%).

Last edited:

Shmunter

The cost is 30% digital or physical to the devs. There is no difference here.

The platform holder takes care of the physical wholesale, retail buys from wholesale and its up to retail to on sell to consumers.

Indeed, retailers buying copies in advance is cash in the pocket for platform holders and devs. Not dissimilar to pre-orders.

At retail we often see better deals because the retailer sets their price, creates loss leaders, competes with other retailers, etc.

Secondhand copies do create less sales of new copies no doubt, but at the same time create an eco system of injecting funds into gamers wallets for buying new games. A cycle of life so to speak. Physical copies also support a variety of industries to manufacture, deliver etc. as well as expose customers to buying other trinkets while In store.

Last edited:

reksveks

So if i understand this thread correctly despite being outsold 2:1 it still takes 43% of the sales?
That's one take-away, the other is that there is something starting with a 10pt gap between the physical/digital ratio between the two platforms.

kingfey

Banned

But even so the difference is small if you are a Publisher without a Store Front… the cut the retailer get on physical goes to Store owner in digital case (~30%).
They arent the same. Physical is one time payment. after that, store front can sell the used copy, and none of that money will reach to developers. Contrast to digital, which is tied to the account that is buying it.

Store front such as Ebay sellers, Gamestop sell used games. They beenfit from any sales they do on those games. They cant do that for the digital, because its a code, and only the account that used the code owns the game.

Your cut % only applies to first sale. Physical games bypasses that. Its why its a lost sale for developers once they sell it. They cant get any cut from whoever sells that physical copy.

kingfey

Banned
The cost is 30% digital or physical to the devs. There is no difference here.

The platform holder takes care of the physical wholesale, retail buys from wholesale and its up to retail to on sell to consumers.

Indeed, retailers buying copies in advance is cash in the pocket for platform holders and devs. Not dissimilar to pre-orders.

At retail we often see better deals because the retailer sets their price, creates loss leaders, competes with other retailers, etc.

Secondhand copies do create less sales of new copies no doubt, but at the same time create an eco system of injecting funds into gamers wallets for buying new games. A cycle of life so to speak. Physical copies also support a variety of industries to manufacture, deliver etc. as well as expose customers to buying other trinkets while In store.
Used copies is my point. These takes potential customers who would have bought the game from the developers, whether its physical or digital. Usually these are copies sold by those who finished the game in the 1st week.

As for your last point, you are correct. There are games, which I wouldn't have known without the 2nd hand market.

kingfey

Banned

Here is more simple one

Returnal

Marvels guardian galaxy

1: Developers lose the potential sales from those customers who are buying these games.

2: Players who bought the 1st copy are getting their investment back.

Its a sticky situation for developers. They have no right to ask money for these copies. But these copies at the same time, is going to people, who will otherwise bought the game from the developers.

Its why I said loss lead.

sainraja

The problem is that no one has the data to prove this theory at the moment
Nah, I am not sure if I necessarily need data to comment on my observations around the community. Some people like buying physical games simply due to the fact they want to be able to sell it after playing it — they don't care to own it past what they are looking to get out of it. I think those people are in the majority compared to those who like to own a library of games. If that ends up being proven false, that's great.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Its not flexing that much. If you have been buying games for a long time you’ve probably acrued a lot of games. I probably have 11 or 1200 games across xbox, xbox 360, xbox one, xbox series x, ps2, ps3, ps4, ps5, switch, and 3ds

I've always been a little more selective with my purchases I guess. The system I had the most games with was probably 360, I think I had maybe 70 or 80 games with that one. Most of the other systems maybe 50 or so. 1100 sounds like a huge amount to me because of that. I guess Metal Jesus would think "what, is that all"? :messenger_grinning:

Riky

$MSFT
If you are done being a kid and playing the "triggering" game — who can trigger the other first, blah blah, you have to understand the value that Game Pass offers people. The value proposition it has, is access to a collection of games for a single subscription fee removing the need for people who are subscribing to it, to buy games. That is naturally going to have an effect on purchases, which should result in less purchases overall for games that are available on the service. If that's not happening at a large enough scale then people might see the collection as a bonus and are only subscribing for online play BUT Microsoft hasn't removed the option to subscribe to gold completely for online play so we can't really reach that conclusion either. They only got rid of the 12 year option as far as I know, a move they made to nudge people over to Game Pass Ultimate.

Stop calling people idiots when the very point of a forum is for people to discuss things. And if you are using a game that wasn't on the service to prove the point that GP doesn't affect sales, well, then it shouldn't (hopefully) take you long to realize why that is. :D

People that are fully investing themselves into Game Pass are buying less games. Specially if you compare their behavior to before Game Pass was introduced; to deny that is just being foolish.

None of what you said makes any sense when the entire point I was making is that people were claiming down to UK physical sales for games that were not on Gamepass that Gamepass was causing the splits.

reksveks

Nah, I am not sure if I necessarily need data to comment on my observations around the community. Some people like buying physical games simply due to the fact they want to be able to sell it after playing it — they don't care to own it past what they are looking to get out of it. I think those people are in the majority compared to those who like to own a library of games. If that ends up being proven false, that's great.
I think without data and focusing on just observations, you might being skewed by your 'data set'. It's the same issue about this whole 1 dollar upgrade. No one knows yet and that's fine.

I would always try to remember to caveat stuff like the gamepass effect on user behaviour. I stay away from the other side of this theory that gamepass increases sales of games due to increased exposure. I think in certain cases it might be true, don't know if it's a pattern.

MrFunSocks

Banned
PS owners prefer physical by and large.
No they don't. Playstation owners vastly prefer digital too, just not to the same extent as xbox on average. If xbox is 90% digital, PS is about 80% digital. Physical is the extreme minority on Playstation too.

Last edited:
What do you know... there goes that Xbox gamers aren't buying games narrative, right out the fucking window, even though Xbox gamers should save their money for Halo or just get Game Pass, but COD is still a majorly recognized franchise.

Goalus

Damn, just realized this thread is from last week. The weekly thread about UK boxed sales always provides the highest entertainment value in here :messenger_tears_of_joy: 👍

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Who buys Call of Duty physical editions? I mean, it's an annualized franchise with a ridiculous amount of downloaded content.

Last edited:

EDMIX

lolz on the people who really, really, REALLY thought this would fail just cause they are triggered.

Dear god, how many times does this need to happen for people to realize THEM not liking an IP won't stop it from move massive units?

MonarchJT

Banned
I don’t believe anyone has tried to say games sold more on Xbox or that PlayStation doesn’t have the higher share. The conversation really is that boxed sales splits that folks obsess over are misleading, and that the higher digital sales on Xbox makes the splits not as crazy as the retail sales would imply.
That’s pretty much it.

Essentially, it’s meaningless to obsess over the retail splits in the UK.
i said this over and over ...but the usuals like to think some impossible bs things like playstation sold 70% of the game just to rage against game pass or the platform. Evaluating a game's perfomance using physical sales in 2021 is stupid. period.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Physical isn't going away anytime soon though.
wrong. 1 max two years and big shop will remove the space used for physical sales allocating it to some product that it sells instead of staying on the shelves for months or years . After which physical sales will be completely dead. obviously they will still be available in physical version but it will be a super niche

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
wrong. 1 max two years and big shop will remove the space used for physical sales allocating it to some product that it sells instead of staying on the shelves for months or years . After which physical sales will be completely dead. obviously they will still be available in physical version but it will be a super niche

What do you consider "super niche"? Less than 10% of all sales globally?

MonarchJT

Banned
What do you consider "super niche"? Less than 10% of all sales globally?
right now is around 10 in some year i think they will go under 7% ..shops will let other product take their place (at least here in Italy already like this) the amount of space occupied by the exhibits is not worth the revenue / x linear meter of exhibit

Last edited:

mckmas8808

right now is around 10 in some year i think they will go under 7% ..shops will let other product take their place (at least here in Italy already like this) the amount of space occupied by the exhibits is not worth the revenue / x linear meter of exhibit

I don't think this is correct. I believe Sony stated that 35% of their games purchased were physical.

reksveks

I don't think this is correct. I believe Sony stated that 35% of their games purchased were physical.

RXHg5hk.png

Here we are.

20% revenue but 35% unit sales. That 20% is less than half of their software revenue (43% ish) .

I forgot the ratio between dlc and full games.

Last edited:
RXHg5hk.png

Here we are.

20% revenue but 35% unit sales. That 20% is less than half of their software revenue (43% ish) .

And this is why big publishers are trying to push digital. Physical just makes less money for everyone.

mckmas8808

RXHg5hk.png

Here we are.

That's because they can't make multiple revenue on physical only sales. You buy the game only once. That's it! That same gamer that bought a physical copy of Ghost of Tsushima might then spend the same amount of money on Add-on Content.

To some degree it's not fair to give money for add-on content credit to "downloads" and act like it didn't start from a physical sale purchase.

reksveks

That's because they can't make multiple revenue on physical only sales. You buy the game only once. That's it! That same gamer that bought a physical copy of Ghost of Tsushima might then spend the same amount of money on Add-on Content.
Those numbers I think are just full game revenue. DLC for a physical buyer and DLC for a digital buyer still goes into the add-on content.

I am very confused by your point but its been a long day at work.

Top Bottom