• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90% of Call of Duty Vanguard Xbox sales, in United Kingdom, were digital

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Those numbers I think are just full game revenue. DLC for a physical buyer and DLC for a digital buyer still goes into the add-on content.

I am very confused by your point but its been a long day at work.

It is a confusing point I'm making so it's not your fault. These days there seems to be a new war coming. The Pro-physical media clan vs. the Anti-Physical media clan. So far almost everyone is Pro-Digital Media, so that's not the issue. So here's my beef!

1. Gamer Person 1 buys a Call of Duty Vanguard from within BestBuy on a physical disc for $70.

2. Gamer Person 2 buys Call of Duty Vanguard from the Playstation Store directly from their console (for $70) and downloads it.

3. Gamer Person 1 then buys $50 worth of DLC for COD Vanguard over the next 6 months.

4. Gamer Person 2 also buys $50 worth of DLC for COD Vanguard over the next 6 months.

If you ONLY looked at digital purchase money spent by these two gamers, it'll show that these two gamers spent $170 on digital purchases. And it'll show that only $70 was spent of physical media. A day later if you give this data to people on Twitter, GAF, or any social site where people are talking about games they'll say that digital purchases for COD Vanguard is more than double that of physical media sales. And while that's technically true.......it doesn't say gamers don't want to buy games on some form of physical media, because nobody sells DLC on a disc in a store anymore. That chart above from Sony is a perfect example of this.

Bottom line, some people don't understand what they are reading so it leads them to bad opinions on the gaming market place.

I wonder why the PS owners are lagging behind so much on digital adoption. Sony even has an all digital console so I don't get it. PS owners prefer physical by and large. Maybe Game Pass has a lot to do with the digital adoption rates on the Xbox? Or because Xbox embraced online services so much earlier than Playstation?
As someone who switched from Ps4 to xbies series.... I've also completely swapped from physical to digital.

Gamepass really showed me the benefits of going all digital. It's just so much more convenient nowadays, especially with quick resume. And it's really good do have predownlaods. Or at work just open the xbox app and download the game ready to play when you get home. I've also got a series s connected to the bedroom TV so I don't wanna buy a physical copy and only be able to play it on my series X console.

Freeman76

The game is laods of fun. Why do devs insist on removing the best modes though? Ship Haus was brilliant fun me and my wife spent hours levelling shit up over the weekend, and they remove it. Twats 🤣

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
They be regretting paying all that money for a 6 hour campaign. As a disc owner l can sell my used copy right back on Amazon 😆

Infinitely smaller? Do you understand how percentages work? Based on the data we have, for sales to even out across the two platforms the Xbox digital split would need to run well over 100%.

Even here where the situation is 90% Xbox purchases being digital it's nowhere near enough to make up the deficit on the physical side:

Edit: @Riky stop crying lad.

That's actually not as big a percentage for PS I'd expect given the install base split between them, which is pretty much a little north 2:1 in PlayStation's favor. So the install base with half as many units getting around 43% of the sales for a new installment in one of the biggest IP around, is actually a pretty strong result.

So, there's truth to what you're saying but there's some truth to what M MonarchJT is saying, too. There's probably still a noticeable split in favor of PS for software sales but outside of very niche-style games that a predominantly on PS only anyway the average split is probably something like 1.30:1 to 1.35:1 for most games in favor of PlayStation.

EDMIX

People don't buy COD for the campaign lol.

Agreed.

Majority don't anyway. From what I've seen, most gamers to do not complete games (as to why The Last Of Us 2 completion rating of a 30 hour game is still pretty fucking amazing lol) most gamers tend to stop playing games within weeks fo release, so when I hear about this whole Call of Duty single player stuff, I don't see that the stats support majority buy this for that feature, majority don't even complete single player stories on games that are ONLY THAT.

I think anyone who really likes those single player 7 hour stories can always wait a few months and pick it up used or just RedBox it for a few bucks tbh.

Top Bottom