• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90% of Call of Duty Vanguard Xbox sales, in United Kingdom, were digital

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I might start a weekly UK weather forecast thread.
its-just-a-little-rain-heavy-rain.gif

reksveks

V754Iwd.png

2 of 100 of possible scenarios but assuming the total platform splits stay the same; we get the following tables
- top table is if the ratio of physical sales between platforms changes
- bottom table is if the ratio of physical to digital changes

it's probably a combo of both but ehh.

Thought the numbers were wrong but they are right.

Last edited:
Did there used to be a dedicated sales forum? Can't remember but a little ding in the back of my head says yes. Crazy figures that though 90% digital.
I don't know, but i would love it. It's just too many of those Famits or Uk topics. Something that is frequently postet should get a subforum or at least a sticky.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Would like a source for this. Afaik, people simply assumed that was the case, without actually knowing. Now we know it's not the case and that Xbox players skew digital relative to PS players.
Whenever we do get concrete numbers Xbox has always had a higher percentage of digital sales.

I think it probably comes from the fact that there’s more consumer trust in Xbox’s digital approach (easy refunds, enhanced back compat, game preservation moving forward etc.) I know this has influenced my buying decisions and I buy 99% of my third parties on Xbox now.

Adding the fact that there’s now a rough 50/50 split for Xbox in terms of didgital/physical consoles sold - whereas the number for PS5 is much lower (estimated 25% DE consoles in the UK compared to 75% physical) it’s only going to continue to skew towards digital for Xbox.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Knew it and been saying it for a while.
It was obvious. the success of Gamepass will aclimatize Xbox users more to digital,even some Xbox users that were staunchly physical. Digital is simply easier.
And of course the fact that at least 50% of series consoles have been XSS sales, a digital only system.

In fact with Gamepass having the permanent 20% off games discount, i wouldnt be surprised if sales of FH5 on Xbox are over 90% digital.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Who gives a fuck about UK sales? In Oman, PS5 is enjoying pure dominance, that what matters.

justin bieber haters gonna hate GIF
I mean i get that we dont get many game sales numbers from countries around the world, whihc is why the UK sales threads have traction (same with Japan). Its just when people try and use the UK physical sale as some kind of barometre for the world, it just doesnt make sense when we are talking about such a low percentage of sales, numbers wise and physical/digital split wise.
I mean i remember when the Next Gen version of Metro Exodus released, andthe UK sales thread had like 4 or 5 pages, and it turned out the physical numbers was less than 1000 copies, literally, yet poeple were warring over the split lol.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I mean i get that we dont get many game sales numbers from countries around the world, whihc is why the UK sales threads have traction (same with Japan). Its just when people try and use the UK physical sale as some kind of barometre for the world, it just doesnt make sense when we are talking about such a low percentage of sales, numbers wise and physical/digital split wise.
I mean i remember when the Next Gen version of Metro Exodus released, andthe UK sales thread had like 4 or 5 pages, and it turned out the physical numbers was less than 1000 copies, literally, yet poeple were warring over the split lol.

609.gif

I love UK sales, can't get enough of them.

Angry Feed Me GIF

Kupfer

I wonder if CoD represents the entire gaming industry in this, or rather I'm afraid it will be interpreted that way. I can imagine other annual titles like FIFA getting into a similar range in terms of digital sales. These games lack "value", if you will, because buyers know they'll be playing a new game in the series next year anyway and won't touch the old one - like a disposable product. However, for games that are really big, high quality and unique, I could imagine the numbers looking different, like RDR2, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk (leaving out the shitstorm).
For me, physical will always be superior to digital and I don't know, if I will be a future gamer, if the next generation will be digital only.

Last edited:
Another proof, that making some kind of conclusion based on physical sales in UK is just plain dumb

And since Xbox and digital sales in the UK have been an open secret for some time now, this is why posting UK boxed sales threads was nothing more than fodder that turned into console slagging, full stop.

Really wish we’d have the box sales threads relegated to a single thread or their own forum.

GHG

Gold Member
Would like a source for this. Afaik, people simply assumed that was the case, without actually knowing. Now we know it's not the case and that Xbox players skew digital relative to PS players.

We get total sales splits including digital on a monthly basis.

Across all games on Playstation:

Q4 FY2020 - 79%
Q1 FY2021 - 70%

We don't have a comparison on the Xbox side because they don't release granular data.

Even if we assume the 90% split in favour of digital on Xbox is true across all games it still isn't anywhere near enough to even out (or overcome) the deficit on the physical side.

Even if we assume the 90% split in favour of digital on Xbox is true across all games it still isn't anywhere near enough to even out (or overcome) the deficit on the physical side.
You're conflating worldwide game sales with UK sales. You're conflating percentages with total sale numbers. You're not taking into account that PS4 outsold Xbone 2:1. And so on. It makes no sense.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I wonder if CoD represents the entire gaming industry in this, or rather I'm afraid it will be interpreted that way. I can imagine other annual titles like FIFA getting into a similar range in terms of digital sales. These games lack "value", if you will, because buyers know they'll be playing a new game in the series next year anyway and won't touch the old one - like a disposable product. However, for games that are really big, high quality and unique, I could imagine the numbers looking different, like RDR2, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk (leaving out the shitstorm).
For me, physical will always be superior to digital and I don't know, if I will be a future gamer, if the next generation will be digital only.
Don’t know how many more times it needs to be said but pretty much every single publisher in the industry is reporting 80%+ of all sales are digital.

Physical is a small minority and only getting smaller. By the end of this generation you can be guaranteed that the industry will be 90%+ digital sales.

anthony2690

Banned
I think a big selling point of digital on Xbox, that no one seems to speak off, is the ability to quick resume between all your digital titles.

Obviously you can't really do that if all your games are disc based. :p

Kuranghi

Man if the internet goes down across the world MS will lose a lot of sales, I'm not trying to start shit I just realised how crazy that is that its so digital biased now. I'm so old thinking thats surprising haha:

Replace 90s with nu-20s and Banks with Kuranghi.

reksveks

The UK is one of the biggest markets.

But yeh you're right, the splits would be even worse for Xbox if we took worldwide figures into account
What split are you talking about? Revenue?

Do you have any data points for both physical and digital revenue on that topic.

Also we have gone far away from the point that xbox users are seemingly buying more games digitally in the UK.

MonarchJT

Banned
We get total sales splits including digital on a monthly basis.

Across all games on Playstation:

Q4 FY2020 - 79%
Q1 FY2021 - 70%

We don't have a comparison on the Xbox side because they don't release granular data.

digital console split is around 17/83 on PS5
and digital games sell lots more on Xbox so don't know

I'm sure the platform where games sells the most is the PlayStation but the gap is infinitely smaller than physical sales alone show.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
What split are you talking about? Revenue?

Do you have any data points for both physical and digital revenue on that topic.

Also we have gone far away from the point that xbox users are seemingly buying more games digitally in the UK.

Yes revenue.

I've provided physical/digital split data from the Playstation side. If Xbox weren't so cloak and dagger about their figures then we would have some split data from their side as well.

digital console split is around 17/83 on PS5
and digital games sell lots more on Xbox so don't know

I'm sure the platform where games sells the most is the PlayStation but the gap is infinitely smaller than physical sales alone show.

Infinitely smaller? Do you understand how percentages work? Based on the data we have, for sales to even out across the two platforms the Xbox digital split would need to run well over 100%.

Even here where the situation is 90% Xbox purchases being digital it's nowhere near enough to make up the deficit on the physical side:

Edit: Riky Riky stop crying lad.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Yes revenue.

I've provided physical/digital split data from the Playstation side. If Xbox weren't so cloak and dagger about their figures then we would have some split data from their side as well.

Infinitely smaller? Do you understand how percentages work? Based on the data we have, for sales to even out across the two platforms the Xbox digital split would need to run well over 100%.

Even here where the situation is 90% Xbox purchases being digital it's nowhere near enough to make up the deficit on the physical side:

So 43% split between pc and xbox. Very good result for PlayStation in one of xboxs strongest markets!

Riky

$MSFT
Yes revenue.

You're triggered not me😂

Nobody was saying the total amount of sales is even with this news, nobody as the Ps base is far larger from last gen and this gen in console sales.
Idiots were saying that the figures somehow proved that Xbox gamers didn't buy anything anymore due to Gamepass, despite Microsoft saying the opposite.
I stated over and over again that Xbox owners would just buy digital for a couple of reasons,

Firstly Gamepass conditions people to accept digital.
Secondly they run offers on the dash rewarding you to buy digitally.
Third with Third party key sellers allowed to sell Xbox games its cheaper.

Looks like I was vindicated yet again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom