• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 19-Year-Old Got DOOM Running On A McDonalds Cash Register.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Talking to Kotaku Australia over DM, Edgar explained that he got DOOM going by copying ZDOOM onto a USB. " downloaded ZDOOM (Doom XP) on it using my personal computer, plugged it into the USB in the cash register and ran it through there with auto run," Edgar said.

Using a USB splitter, Edgar was able to get a mouse and keyboard working, the result of which you can see below.

"I was able to run explorer.exe by doing CTRL ALT DEL to get to Task Manager but there was some weird encryption on it," he said. He wasn't sure about the precise specs of the Maccas terminal, although its been previously reported that Maccas built their own point-of-sale software called PC POS. The original version was built for MS-DOS, but an updated version (New-POS) was released for Windows XP Pro.

I asked Edgar what he planned on doing with the terminal now that he'd gotten DOOM working. "I might even just use it as my second computer," he suggested, adding that he'll try and get Sonic Adventure 2 working on it before too long.

Ovek

7Member7
I have no idea why this story is trending across the web, these old McD's register are basically just Windows XP machines. Running WinDoom on it is not hard, shit even he says "USB in the cash register and ran it through there with auto run" wow fucking master hacker shit here.

The most eyebrow rising thing is that McD's never disabled autorun on them.

P50YPZp.png

Tumle

Local man gets Doom running on slightly locked down Windows XP machine. A shocking feat of engineering.

I did this to my school computer network back in the day, can I get an article too?
Just more proof that gaming journalism isn’t run by actual gamers but by journalist school dropouts who happen to have played a couple of rounds of Halo while in college :p

Last edited:

plushyp

I have no idea why this story is trending across the web, these old McD's register are basically just Windows XP machines. Running WinDoom on it is not hard, shit even he says "USB in the cash register and ran it through there with auto run" wow fucking master hacker shit here.

The most eyebrow rising thing is that McD's never disabled autorun on them.
These portals think he is
vreph5xqwm311.jpg

nkarafo

Remember when 486 PCs were too expensive and we were trying to have a taste of this elusive, state of the art DOOM experience, by playing inferior ports on cheaper systems like the SNES, Jaguar, 32X, etc?

Those were the days.

Top Bottom