• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Beginner's guide to buying video games

How good are you at buying video games

• Good

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Great

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • OK

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Not so good

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Outstanding!

Votes: 37 46.8%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
With the large increase in households purchasing new gaming systems for the holiday season, I decided to write up a guide to buying a New Video Game System. This guide goes beyond which system to purchase.

1) Create a budget. Come to reality with Budget Planning. Before looking at systems, determine how much money you can spend without going in the hole. Realize that if you are buying a console, you are probably going to spend around $300 or more than the cost of the console itself to start with. With handhelds, you’re probably going to spend closer to $100-$200 over the handheld’s price to start with. Why? Each console will come with one controller and maybe even one game. Controllers are expensive. Games are expensive. You’re going to spend between $40-$60 per controller and about as much per game. You’re going to need a place to put your games, console, and controllers. With handhelds, the games are between $20 and $50 dollars. Also, you are going to want/need a carrying case for the system, some games, and accessories. In all honesty, if you do not have the appropriate funds to set everything up – the system can wait.

2) What is the purpose? Figure out who you are buying for. Figure out what the system will be used for. Are you going to buy this for your kids to enjoy? Is it for you to take on long business trips? Will the system be something the entire family will play together? All Game Systems have a target audience. The games and everything involved with that system is set to target that audience and draw them in.

3) Research within your parameters. Go to a Gaming/Electronics Store and ask questions. The internet is an excellent tool. Research within your parameters; don’t break the bank just because you want to be “cool”. If you have a system in mind, research the following: -Common technical issues to see what you might deal with -New release games will give you an idea of what the target of the system is -Customer Satisfaction -Technical Specifications -PRICE -Warranty

4) The big purchase day… Today is the day you are getting your system. Excited? You should be. When you go to get your system, make sure that you leave with the following: -Console -Controllers enough for the people using it -A few games -Warranty -Necessary Accessories (holders for controllers, games, consoles, etc – if you are unsure what you need, ASK)

5) You have the Game System… now what? Just because you have the system doesn’t mean your venture is over. This section is especially important for those who bought the system for their children. Each game has a rating by the ESRB – the rating are VERY important to keep watch over. In order, they are:

EARLY CHILDHOOD Titles rated EC (Early Childhood) have content that may be suitable for ages 3 and older. Contains no material that parents would find inappropriate.

EVERYONE Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that may be suitable for ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.

EVERYONE 10+ Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) have content that may be suitable for ages 10 and older. Titles in this category may contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.

TEEN Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

MATURE Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

ADULTS ONLY Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity.

RATING PENDING Titles listed as RP (Rating Pending) have been submitted to the ESRB and are awaiting final rating. (This symbol appears only in advertising prior to a game's release.)

Understand these ratings. Obey the ratings. Talk them over with your children so that they understand what type of games they are and are not allowed to play.

If you suspect that your child has an inappropriate game in their possession, try it out. Try playing the game for yourself. You would not believe the number of complaints I’ve dealt with as a Manager of Wal-Mart from parents who didn’t understand the ratings and bought their kid Grand Theft Auto because that’s what the child begged for.

Make sure your family knows to read the ratings (and which ones are allowed) before getting “X GAME” for Christmas. ------

In Finale: I hope this can help you in your quest to enter the world of Video Games. If you have any questions, comments, or additions for this guide, feel free to discuss it here or PM me directly. (y)

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I usually preorder a game or two every month :)

Preordered/paid off:
Crises Core: Final Fantasy 7 reunion
Atlas Fallen (I had spare £ at the time)
Tales of Symphonia Remastered
Resident Evil 4 remake
One Piece Odyssey (reminds me of DQ11)
Darktide 40k
Hogwarts Legacy Deluxe (well my other half preordered about 2 years ago as a Christmas present that got delayed many times)

Waiting for retail preorders to go up:
Wo Long
Wild Hearts

Waiting to see if anyone grabs me it for Christmas:
Callisto Protocol (if not, I'll probably request)

Digital preorder, when it goes up:
Akai Katana Shin

I don't smoke or drink alcohol so I tend to have a little extra £ to spend on my hobby :)

& I always gift the best games to my buddies 👀

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Very useful. I'm sure this video game forum is filled with people who have never bought a video game before.
Yeah, it's for the newbies just coming in for the holiday season.
Whether it's for buying for friends, relatives, Servicemen, etc..

Fredrik

Been doing this for 40 years, I know everything about doing it the wrong way, hopefully I’ll some day learn how to do it the right way.

The backlog of never played games I’ve bought on some sale is at least not growing as rapidly these days, I try to only buy games I want to play right away now, I wait for the rest to arrive on a subscription service like Gamepass or PS+.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Don’t preorder shit, it’ll go on sale within a month, especially if it’s single player.

Other stuff here is shockingly basic, but impulsive kidults that have no clue what to do with money and think you can live off debt need this.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I didn't realize that buying video games is a skill that requires instruction to do properly. TIL

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
With the large increase in households purchasing new gaming systems for the holiday season, I decided to write up a guide to buying a New Video Game System. This guide goes beyond which system to purchase.

1) Create a budget. Come to reality with Budget Planning. Before looking at systems, determine how much money you can spend without going in the hole. Realize that if you are buying a console, you are probably going to spend around $300 or more than the cost of the console itself to start with. With handhelds, you’re probably going to spend closer to $100-$200 over the handheld’s price to start with. Why? Each console will come with one controller and maybe even one game. Controllers are expensive. Games are expensive. You’re going to spend between $40-$60 per controller and about as much per game. You’re going to need a place to put your games, console, and controllers. With handhelds, the games are between $20 and $50 dollars. Also, you are going to want/need a carrying case for the system, some games, and accessories. In all honesty, if you do not have the appropriate funds to set everything up – the system can wait.

2) What is the purpose? Figure out who you are buying for. Figure out what the system will be used for. Are you going to buy this for your kids to enjoy? Is it for you to take on long business trips? Will the system be something the entire family will play together? All Game Systems have a target audience. The games and everything involved with that system is set to target that audience and draw them in.

3) Research within your parameters. Go to a Gaming/Electronics Store and ask questions. The internet is an excellent tool. Research within your parameters; don’t break the bank just because you want to be “cool”. If you have a system in mind, research the following: -Common technical issues to see what you might deal with -New release games will give you an idea of what the target of the system is -Customer Satisfaction -Technical Specifications -PRICE -Warranty

4) The big purchase day… Today is the day you are getting your system. Excited? You should be. When you go to get your system, make sure that you leave with the following: -Console -Controllers enough for the people using it -A few games -Warranty -Necessary Accessories (holders for controllers, games, consoles, etc – if you are unsure what you need, ASK)

5) You have the Game System… now what? Just because you have the system doesn’t mean your venture is over. This section is especially important for those who bought the system for their children. Each game has a rating by the ESRB – the rating are VERY important to keep watch over. In order, they are:

EARLY CHILDHOOD Titles rated EC (Early Childhood) have content that may be suitable for ages 3 and older. Contains no material that parents would find inappropriate.

EVERYONE Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that may be suitable for ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.

EVERYONE 10+ Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) have content that may be suitable for ages 10 and older. Titles in this category may contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.

TEEN Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

MATURE Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

ADULTS ONLY Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity.

RATING PENDING Titles listed as RP (Rating Pending) have been submitted to the ESRB and are awaiting final rating. (This symbol appears only in advertising prior to a game's release.)

Understand these ratings. Obey the ratings. Talk them over with your children so that they understand what type of games they are and are not allowed to play.

If you suspect that your child has an inappropriate game in their possession, try it out. Try playing the game for yourself. You would not believe the number of complaints I’ve dealt with as a Manager of Wal-Mart from parents who didn’t understand the ratings and bought their kid Grand Theft Auto because that’s what the child begged for.

Make sure your family knows to read the ratings (and which ones are allowed) before getting “X GAME” for Christmas. ------

In Finale: I hope this can help you in your quest to enter the world of Video Games. If you have any questions, comments, or additions for this guide, feel free to discuss it here or PM me directly. (y)
you're on a gaming enthusiast forum... i'm pretty sure everyone here knows how to purchase a video game

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't even hate the guide, it's well written if a bit vague. But make this into a youtube video, or an article, or a reddit post, ANYTHING that isn't on a gaming forum. it's a dumb place to post a guide like this

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Very good at buying video games (most recently MGS5 for under 10 bucks) deals are pushed all the time from corporate, buying games doesn’t have to be a battle.

jaysius

Banned
you're on a gaming enthusiast forum... i'm pretty sure everyone here knows how to purchase a video game
You havent seen the threads that pop up more frequently now where people don’t have the money to afford the purchase they want and are looking for others to tell them to do it?

Its happening more and more, kidults that are living on their credit cards and piling up debt they’ll never pay off.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I pre-order everything

Animated GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You havent seen the threads that pop up more frequently now where people don’t have the money to afford the purchase they want and are looking for others to tell them to do it?

Its happening more and more, kidults that are living on their credit cards and piling up debt they’ll never pay off.
It's truly amazing to see. I remember some dude created a thread asking if he should get whatever while still having some debts left to pay. Motherfucker ended up buying what he wanted instead of paying off the money he owes. Absolute peak of consumerism if you ask me but hey, everyone is free to do as they please.

jaysius

Banned
It's truly amazing to see. I remember some dude created a thread asking if he should get whatever while still having some debts left to pay. Motherfucker ended up buying what he wanted instead of paying off the money he owes. Absolute peak of consumerism if you ask me but hey, everyone is free to do as they please.
Oh indeed, if you want to form a mountain of debt ignoring the fact that your credit score is very hard to rebuild if you toss it down a flight of stairs and set fire to it, then go right ahead. Just don’t be shocked when you want a house or a car and you get denied everything.

So many people don’t understand that a credit score is something you need to foster and good or bad will hang over you for the rest of your life.

Chukhopops

Just put everything on a JIRA board, only buy less than your velocity allows (how many games you can finish in a month or two weeks).

Then you plan one-two sprints in advance and realize you never need to buy anything at launch, ever. Plus it helps you stay focused and actually finish games.

It works well except when you have subs dropping stuff on your lap every month or so.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m great at it, but not perfect.

My problem is I over procrastinate with many game purchases, as well as other things like some PC hardware/accessories.

I research shit to death. I’ll read a bazillion user reviews, and watch video footage a thousand times over and still mull over the buy button.

Most recently I’ve done this with a PC case, which I finally pulled the trigger on after researching way too many cases in detail.

Even after researching the shit out of games there’s still been a couple times where I’ve refunded, as I’m just not feeling it.

I’ll also make use of reward programs like Microsoft’s so that I pay as little of my own money as possible.

poodaddy

I'm terrible at buying video games....

As subscription services mean I don't buy anything anymore.

Play games a few months after release at about 50% less cost then at launch, except for Nintendo games. You'll be lucky to even see a little price drop on Nintendo games even years after release.

The amount of games I buy and don't like is pretty much negligible. So either I'm amazing at knowing what games I'll like, or I like a wide variety of games. Either way I'll never understand how people who do any small amount of research before buying a game can ever buy a full priced game without a good idea of whether or not they'll like it

tl;dr. simple tips/rules to live by for buying games:

1. dont buy into hype / don't pre-order games based on hype. also, dont trust known good devs to deliver - judge only the game you are looking to buy.
2. know your interests / what your looking for and only buy games that align with that. ideally, choose games with longevity to them (does the amount of hours u will be playing this game make it worth it's price tag?)
3. if it's a single player game, get someone in your friend circle to buy it and then just play it with them / watch them instead of both of you buying the game (share screen + share play on PS5 is great for this - currently doing that with GOW: Ragnarok)
4. get a good eye on what the game is actually like. look for spoiler free reviews before you purchase to evaluate whether the game is worth it's ridiculous price tag. people end up buying fewer games because they take longer to make and the price tags are ballooning considerably.
5. wait for the price to drop on games you are still on the fence about. avoid paying full price for something you arent set on.
6. purchase games second hand for discounted prices if possible. it is better to own a console that has a disc drive for this reason - going digital will likely relinquish control over the second hand market from the consumer. dont support garbage.

also a note about game pass and these subscription models. they may have value, but you gotta look how many games you actually give a fuck about tho. getting access to more of them does not necessarily mean you get the ones you want, and a lot of games are trash. do a cost-benefit analysis. another thing to note, on consoles it's scummy they require you to pay for their fucking multiplayer service just to play online when u already pay for internet with your ISP. some bs.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  • I've got Game Pass for 3 years for ~$120 total through the XBL conversion method.
  • I earn ~$25 through Microsoft Rewards every month.
  • I get $15 in Xbox/PSN/eShop credit for $5 once a month through Gamestop PowerUp Rewards.
  • And if that needs to be supplemented, I buy discounted gift cards from various communities for no less than 20% off whenever I need them, sometimes as much as 40% off.
  • I usually wait for big sales on the various digital Xbox/PSN/eShop storefronts before purchasing anything.

This method of discount stacking ends up with me playing nearly any game I want for practically free. I play primarily on Xbox and the most I'll ever pay for a game on that platform is ~50% off, and that's a rare occurrence. Usually it's little-to-nothing out of pocket.

It's been amazing.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Most of my purchases are in sale, and new games are the rare exception. It's rare that I buy something I don't enjoy. The last one was Lords of the Fallen, and I'm still annoyed I gave the devs £4 but these occasions are few and far between.

Ol'Scratch

Not going to lie, I clicked on this link prepared to reach deep into my vocabulary to ridicule with a certain flair but this is indeed a very well thought out and presented guide.
Myself I am terrible with impulse buys, I get caught up in hype. I have learned that if I really find myself wanting to pick up a game I try to give myself a week of cool off time and then see if I still want it. My back log is rather wicked right now.

I usually preorder a game or two every month :)
I don't recommend pre-ordering with how bad companies are shipping games these days. Nothing is wrong with waiting until at least some reviews and impressions are out about the final game.

Also if someone was thinking about getting into video games I would definitely suggest buying either an Xbox or PS5 and signing up for one of the subscription services, don't even buy a game until they have played through some of the games in one of these sub services to get an idea of the types of games they like.

anthony2690

Banned
I don't recommend pre-ordering with how bad companies are shipping games these days. Nothing is wrong with waiting until at least some reviews and impressions are out about the final game.

Also if someone was thinking about getting into video games I would definitely suggest buying either an Xbox or PS5 and signing up for one of the subscription services, don't even buy a game until they have played through some of the games in one of these sub services to get an idea of the types of games they like.

Luckily, I tend to really like everything I end up buying :)

Well, I thought no more heroes 3 was pretty pants, but I shifted that for £27 and only lost £12 (I don't tend to sell games, but I really didn't want that in the collection)

& I quite like star ocean the divine force, minus it's severe performance issues, I've finished that game, I'm hoping they patch it, as I'd happily go back and do the post game content :)

I think they are the only two games to sour me a bit this year.

& I fully agree a gaming sub with extra games etc are great value 💪

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Buy the video game Gravity Rush remastered and Gravity rush 2.

They are the best perfect Christmas gifts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Honestly I'm brilliant. I only buy games I know I will enjoy, which means not that many games in a year. Don't remember the last time I bought a game I ended up disappointed in.

(I also have PS+ Extra now, which means even fewer games bought.)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So you are giving your money to a company in advance with nothing in return for something that will be freely available (digital)?

Yeah, that one has always been weird to me, I've never pre-ordered a digital game. Because, why? I do pre-order physical releases when I absolutely want a copy on day 1, but here in Sweden that generally means you don't pay for it until it's actual shipped, and you can cancel at any time before that.

anthony2690

Banned
So you are giving your money to a company in advance with nothing in return for something that will be freely available (digital)?
I've played Akai Katana Shin before, it's one of my fave stgs ever :)

Sadly I don't think this will have a retail release this time around like on Xbox 360.

It's weird I even have to explain myself, tbh it might not even get a preorder and just appear December 15th.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I've played Akai Katana Shin before, it's one of my fave stgs ever :)

Sadly I don't think this will have a retail release this time around like on Xbox 360.

It's weird I even have to explain myself, tbh it might not even get a preorder and just appear December 15th.
You don't need to explain yourself, I was just surprised since you especially mentioned digital. I get it - as pointed by RoadHazard RoadHazard - that you might want preorder physical copy, especially if a game is niche and/or they throw in some bonuses. But digital pre-order will never be out of stock.

anthony2690

Banned
You don't need to explain yourself, I was just surprised since you especially mentioned digital. I get it - as pointed by RoadHazard RoadHazard - that you might want preorder physical copy, especially if a game is niche and/or they throw in some bonuses. But digital pre-order will never be out of stock.
When it comes to the stgs, especially cave developed/city connection published ones, I'll buy them instantly, with hopes they will keep bringing them, I want to support the genre.

As I'm literally praying Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 comes, it's probably my fave stg ever & it has never had a release off the Xbox 360 :(

Kupfer

Ok now I know how to buy video games, but still no clue how to buy groceries.
Tutorial plz, I'm hungry ...

Top Bottom