• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A brief history of Waffle House (Eater.com)

Lubricus

When we got off work at Grady hospital at night we would go to the one on Piedmont Ave. Now that one had some strange folks at night.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Do they kind of serve the same things though?

Is it like Denny's or Ihop dialed to 10?

Its actually way dialed down. Its more like a diner in set up and has far less options than a place like Denny's or IHOP but the food is usually better for the simplicity and straight forward nature of it. Service is fast, they're open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and its cheap good food.

ryseing

My love for Southern food is well documented on these boards, but I've never gotten into the Waffle House thing. I think it's due to my aversion to melted cheese, which Waffle House uses in excess.

I do admire what it means to people though. We had a couple of similar "open 24 hours" local places we would go to near my high school.

old

Love it. My only complaint is that they need to get rid of the juke box. There's always some wrinkly old redneck in a denim coat playing soppy country songs.

I want to enjoy my waffles in silence. It's 2am. I'm blasted. The cook's blasted. The waitress probably too. Silence is golden. We don't want to hear some asshole country singer crooning about putting down his old truck.

Watevaman

My love for Southern food is well documented on these boards, but I've never gotten into the Waffle House thing. I think it's due to my aversion to melted cheese, which Waffle House uses in excess.

I do admire what it means to people though. We had a couple of similar "open 24 hours" local places we would go to near my high school.

You can get stuff without cheese. My meal never has had cheese.

Love it. My only complaint is that they need to get rid of the juke box. There's always some wrinkly old redneck in a denim coat playing soppy country songs.

I want to enjoy my waffles in silence. It's 2am. I'm blasted. The cook's blasted. The waitress probably too. Silence is golden. We don't want to hear some asshole country singer crooning about putting down his old truck down.

Damn, that sounds awful. I guess I've lucked out because no one ever uses the jukebox when I eat there.

Waffle House is trash and the fact that enough people like it is an indication on how fucked this country really is.

It's been a mediocre run, USA.

Came here expecting the backstory on the employee that looks like he changed his/her tire before clocking in who cooked my delicious meal, which is every employee that's ever made me a meal at Waffle House.

God bless that place, man.

RBH

We went to Virginia Beach a couple of years ago, and had to choose between Waffle House and IHOP.

After checking out both, we went to IHOP.

G5qx2Wu.gif

Mirado

I would like to, but I don't want to run the risk of:

- Being shot by a guy having an argument about Clemson vs. South Carolina that went out of control.
- Having drunk/hungover people sitting next to me. They can get pretty bad.

Shit keeps going down at my local Waffle House here in Northeastern PA, and at a much higher rate than the other chain businesses nearby. Thankfully low on gun violence, but there was a stabbing a while back...it's sort of turned the place into a running joke, to the point that I'm surprised people hold it in high esteem. Reading this thread has been a real perspective checking moment for me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Waffle House is great but it's been a while...

I also do love Cracker Barrell. The biscuits and pancakes umph. Their bacon and eggs suck though.

I want to enjoy my waffles in silence. It's 2am. I'm blasted. The cook's blasted. The waitress probably too. Silence is golden. We don't want to hear some asshole country singer crooning about putting down his old truck down.

Jukebox is part of the charm, one of them in my hometown just got a TouchTunes one lol

Waffle House is trash and the fact that enough people like it is an indication on how fucked this country really is.

It's been a mediocre run, USA.

It's cheap and convenient. I don't think anybody thinks the food is amazing, but sometimes you have a long day at work and you're tired and don't feel like cooking, so you go to Waffle House for some inexpensive waffles, eggs and coffee. They do breakfast better than McDonalds, at least. Sure, most of us would rather have a higher quality dining experience, but we can't always afford that. Remember, many people in the South are poor as dirt. I just got a new job, but at my old job I was only making $8.50 an hour and most of my co-workers lived in trailer parks.

Waffle House is delightful. I will never understand the stigma it has with some people.

I almost always get the All-Star breakfast with the hash-browns smothered, covered, and scattered.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Such a strange thing to say. How does US hate find its way into every thread?

I don't like his tone but it is yet another overhyped southern chain with ok food and mean servers that deflates your expectations.

I'm sure if you grow up with it you enjoy because there's no disappointment.

danm999

Tried this last year when I visited the States. It was delicious but holy shit did I feel guilty looking at the caloric amounts of my meal listed on the menus. Good on them for putting the info on there I guess.

My most fond memories of Cracker Barrel come from the gift shop, not the food. My grandparents bought me some cool ass toys there when I was a kid.

I had this blue thing where you watched a bunch of penguins follow a track and they'd like slide down an ice hill and shit. It kept me and my brother and the neighborhood kids entertained for a whole afternoon. It was legit!

I always get an all star breakfast with scrambled eggs or fried over easy, hashbrowns scattered smothered covered, chunked and peppered (onion, cheese, ham and jalepenos), wheat bread, bacon, waffle. Sometimes I'll go with a patty melt, but all star is my standard. You get all of that and coffee for 10 bucks.

Was on a business trip in Augusta recently, first time down south, and was gobsmacked by two things: (1) the sheer proliferation of Waffle Houses on seemingly every other block, and (2) that Waffle House was probably my favorite thing I ate while over there. I want one in LA so bad now.

RBH

Was on a business trip in Augusta recently, first time down south, and was gobsmacked by two things: (1) the sheer proliferation of Waffle Houses on seemingly every other block, and (2) that Waffle House was probably my favorite thing I ate while over there. I want one in LA so bad now.

I had cousins from LA visit our family in Atlanta 2 years ago, and one thing I made sure to do was to take them to a Waffle House. They loved it so much that one of my cousins asked me about what it would take to open one in the LA area lol

It's cheap and convenient. I don't think anybody thinks the food is amazing, but sometimes you have a long day at work and you're tired and don't feel like cooking, so you go to Waffle House for some inexpensive waffles, eggs and coffee. They do breakfast better than McDonalds, at least. Sure, most of us would rather have a higher quality dining experience, but we can't always afford that. Remember, many people in the South are poor as dirt. I just got a new job, but at my old job I was only making $8.50 an hour and most of my co-workers lived in trailer parks.
wtf there's no hope anymore
yeah late night drunk food spots are the indication of our country being fucked

::turns on the news::

oh wait..
Studies show when under the influence of alcohol, the true thoughts of a person comes out. So when they opt for Waffle House, you know they're part of the problem.
Such a strange thing to say. How does US hate find its way into every thread?
im not the one peddling drug fronts like waffle house
The US IS pretty trash.

Waffle House is one of its redeeming qualities, though.
wow i bet you think tipping makes us the greatest country on earth too

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Lived in Atl all my life, eaten at WH all my life....

...and never had the waffle.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What do you usually get then? I only fuck with the waffle and side items.

And I'm just saying, waffle is in the name lmao
Just big breakfasts and sandwiches, never anything sweet. It's just funny to think how I've avoided the item on the sign all along.

Waffle House always reminds me of the Bill Hicks joke, where he says a waitress walks over to him while he's reading a book and asks what he's reading for. lol

Frimaire

Is this one of those restaurant chains that's huge in the Southern states and nowhere else?
'Cause for a cultural touchstone with over 2,000 locations, I've sure never heard of it...

mattiewheels

Dude.

That's what I look forward to.

went to waffle house one time, paid for my meal + 2 friends and the bill was like $25 or so. Dude ringing me up was like "man, you must be made huh?" and then I had crazy charges on my card the next day.

no more waffle house 4 me

Top Bottom