• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Comprehensive List of Next-Gen Only Titles

Jennings

A new next-gen budget title & DMC clone called Soulstice released today, only on PC, PS5 & Xbox Series.

Thread 'Soulstice looks pretty cool' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/soulstice-looks-pretty-cool.1641669/

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Serious Sam 4 is cross-gen
Added Metal: Hellsinger
Are you sure? Because my one x is not eligible for installing serious Sam 4

IMG-20220924-193148.jpg

Last edited:
If that list is correct then that's an embarrassing list for next gen Xbox only games. Series x has already been out 2 years..

I hope gears is 2023 . Epic pumped out gears games way faster.
Gears is not a 2023 game, would of been announced already - from what i been hearing its more of a 2024/2025 title. Coalition is helping out with State of Decay 3 right now and also making a new IP/Game besides Gears.

Last edited:

Roberts

Recompile looks so good but sounds like a nightmare to play. Thanks for mentioning it anyway. Never heard of it before.

It’s a 3d metroidvania inspired by Tron. I liked it enough to complete it, but it is not without flaws. While platforming is intuitive and controls fine, there is occasional shooting and that isn’t handled all that well.

RPS37

Why isn’t this thread getting constantly bumped?
It’s so crucial to me to know what games are actually supposed to be real current gen games.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why isn’t this thread getting constantly bumped?
It’s so crucial to me to know what games are actually supposed to be real current gen games.

It's a weird thing. The Outer Worlds is getting a 'new gen only' release going by the ratings, but it just seems like it's a pack-in with all the DLC included ala Oblivion or Fallout's GoTY editions.

Sure, it's a new gen only game, but it's not really a new gen only game .. right ?

RPS37

It's a weird thing. The Outer Worlds is getting a 'new gen only' release going by the ratings, but it just seems like it's a pack-in with all the DLC included ala Oblivion or Fallout's GoTY editions.

Sure, it's a new gen only game, but it's not really a new gen only game .. right ?
Zero new gen features = not a new gen game.

EDMIX

Astro's Playroom gets no respect.
Respect I Tell Ya GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

lol they too young to hear this refence I tell ya.

adamsapple adamsapple correct. I'm sure on the list it was omitted games that got PS5 versions after the fact or something. A game can come out later as some remaster or port or something, but we've rarely seen that as a "new game" like native type deal. So the list has omitted those releases.

So that version can be on next gen, but its merely 1 of many versions like cross gen, what most of us mean is next gen only, as in no PS4 or XONE version exist of it.

Last edited:
lol they too young to hear this refence I tell ya.

adamsapple adamsapple correct. I'm sure on the list it was omitted games that got PS5 versions after the fact or something. A game can come out later as some remaster or port or something, but we've rarely seen that as a "new game" like native type deal. So the list has omitted those releases.

So that version can be on next gen, but its merely 1 of many versions like cross gen, what most of us mean is next gen only, as in no PS4 or XONE version exist of it.
Astro's Playroom is PS5 only. It comes preinstalled. Astro Bot Rescue Mission is the PSVR game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Thymesia (** No PS4/X1 version but Switch CLOUD ONLY**)
Serious Sam 4 (** No PS4/X1 version but CLOUD ONLY**)

When you even consider listing stuff like this then you know it's bad. How about you list hundreds of other games that are PC only but perfectly playable using streaming on variety of devices.

CamHostage

When you even consider listing stuff like this then you know it's bad. How about you list hundreds of other games that are PC only but perfectly playable using streaming on variety of devices.

Everything (except VR) is perfectly playable if you stream the audio/video content to the screen.

The device at that point is just a screen, and there's no such thing as a game only playable on a Samsung 8K QN900B Neo QLED. The screen is just the screen, the game lives on the hardware.

This isn't "perfectly playable" because of all the video conversion processing happening and the lack of buttons/analog, but a stream can take current-gen games and thrown them down onto even a Game Boy if you can get a streaming signal to it.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Everything (except VR) is perfectly playable if you stream the audio/video content to the screen.

The device at that point is just a screen, and there's no such thing as a game only playable on a Samsung 8K QN900B Neo QLED. The screen is just the screen, the game lives on the hardware.

This isn't "perfectly playable" because of all the video conversion processing happening and the lack of buttons/analog, but a stream can take current-gen games and thrown them down onto even a Game Boy if you can get a streaming signal to it.

Thanks for the info, Capitan Obvious.

Crayon

When Sony is running away with it haveing as many as you can count on one hand, take it as a sign.

I don't think covid plays as much into this as people think. It's mostly that audiences will buy a console to just play the old console's games better. I'm confident that was not always the case. I think the way we are going is more expensive new consoles, perhaps with multiple mid gen upgrades. It will be like phones with $1200 models that nobody needs coming out frequently because people will buy it, period. ms already jumped in to the no exclusive future and they are doing fine. Sony has hardly any ps5-only games and doing more than fine. I have a feeling there will be just as few actual games to buy a ps6 for years after it releases. This is the new strategy going forward.

Last edited:
When Sony is running away with it haveing as many as you can count on one hand, take it as a sign.

I don't think covid plays as much into this as people think. It's mostly that audiences will buy a console to just play the old consoles games better. I'm confident that was not always the case. I think the way we are going is more expensive new consoles, perhaps with multiple mid gen upgrades. It will be like phones with $1200 models that nobody needs comming out frequently because people will buy it, period. ms already jumped in to the no exclusive future and they are doing fine. Sony has hardly any ps5-only games and doing more than fine. I have a feeling there will be just as few actual games to buy a ps6 for for years after it releases. This is the new strategy going forward.

What a miserable outlook.

I don't agree at all. You should probably go outside to get some sunshine. I think you need a little more optimism in your life.

Is it really that saddening and miserable? Really so dire?

More console hardware, like PC, with all the performance instability that comes with it for base hardware, together with far fewer games that actually take advantage of the hardware features on offer...? That's a fucking disaster.

I don't want consoles to become PCs.

Crayon

More console hardware, like PC, with all the performance instability that comes with it for base hardware, together with far fewer games that actually take advantage of the hardware features on offer...? That's a fucking disaster.

I don't want consoles to become PCs.

It's dissapointing in a way but there will be some upshot. Like if there turns out to be room for more expensive models that otherwise would not have been made. Like the 4090 - people are moaning that gpu's were never that expensive, but you could think of it as a new tier above what we previously thought of as the top. And it doesn't take anything away from me because there are still cards I can afford that can run my games great, by my standards at least.

While I've been dissapointed by the lack of games flexing the ps5, I'm surprised to find that I'm happy with it anyways as a drop-in replacement for my ps4. It gets a lot of use and while most of the games could be played on ps4, the ps5 versions have some real perks. There should eventually be games coming from sony that raise the bar to ps5 spec, but even that is in doubt with their getting serious about pc. I have a hard time imagining a pc game that requires direct storgage and a super-fast nvme drive.

The biggest factor for the extended cross-gen strategy is how long it takes to make a game that will tap out even a ps4. Some games are taking a whole generation and many take more like half. It's a big ask to have a company release one of those only for a new generation any time in the first few years while that userbase is growing.

Anyways, if it goes that way I'll remember the days of getting a new console home and getting your head blown off, but it won't be that bad. We'll be in an age where devs still have more performance headroom than ever to make what they want.

BabyYoda

Banned
I'm pretty sure TLoU released for the PS3 and PS4 as well...a PS5 "remake" (it's a remaster, let's be honest) makes it current-gen exclusive somehow!

It's dissapointing in a way but there will be some upshot. Like if there turns out to be room for more expensive models that otherwise would not have been made. Like the 4090 - people are moaning that gpu's were never that expensive, but you could think of it as a new tier above what we previously thought of as the top. And it doesn't take anything away from me because there are still cards I can afford that can run my games great, by my standards at least.

While I've been dissapointed by the lack of games flexing the ps5, I'm surprised to find that I'm happy with it anyways as a drop-in replacement for my ps4. It gets a lot of use and while most of the games could be played on ps4, the ps5 versions have some real perks. There should eventually be games coming from sony that raise the bar to ps5 spec, but even that is in doubt with their getting serious about pc. I have a hard time imagining a pc game that requires direct storgage and a super-fast nvme drive.

The biggest factor for the extended cross-gen strategy is how long it takes to make a game that will tap out even a ps4. Some games are taking a whole generation and many take more like half. It's a big ask to have a company release one of those only for a new generation any time in the first few years while that userbase is growing.

Anyways, if it goes that way I'll remember the days of getting a new console home and getting your head blown off, but it won't be that bad. We'll be in an age where devs still have more performance headroom than ever to make what they want.

While this is true, it will completely negate any impetus on the gamer to upgrade their hardware.

This means that specific hardware features, aside from just pure raw CPU/GPU floating point performance, will be underutilized for potentially multiple iterations of hardware. I'm sorry but that fucking sucks.

I don't want to have to wait till PS6 launches before we see games architected around the SSD and superfast I/O for example.

Top Bottom