• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Comprehensive List of Next-Gen Only Titles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No. I am pretty sure start of 2024 is when cross gen support will newring its end.

You know PS4s have been discountuined for a while now yes ?

I'm talking about PS5 | Series consoles, if we're still getting PS4 games by 2028 I'll go insane lol.

Last edited:
I'm talking about PS5 | Series consoles, if we're still getting PS4 games by 2028 I'll go insane lol.
My apologies. I misread your post.

PS6 was already under production in 2021. If there was no COVID were probably looking at a 2026 launch. With COVID and all that most likely 2028 for the launch with titles being supported till 2030 or so.

You also have to look at when next-gen gpus are launching.

We're about to get the 4000 series here next month. Nvidia releases new line of GPUs every 2 years. So next line of GPUs would be 2024 and then 2026. PS6 will most likely utilize the 2026 line of GPUs which is the 6000 RTX series and that will a new standard. 2028 I think is when we will realisticlly see new console launches due to all these dumb delays.

jaysius

Banned
Nobody has announced any PS6 or the next Xbox titles.

Even game clown journalist refer to PS5 and Series S|X as CURRENT GEN.

Call the old thing dead gen(which it is) or LAST GEN(which it is).

Matt_Fox

A comprehensive list... and a depressingly short list.

This industry is built on the Moore's Law wow factor. Devs need to ditch the ball and chain of last gen asap, it is not good for the hobby.

tommib

Isn’t Thymesia nex-gent only? It’s available on Switch but it’s a cloud version.
3IJhKnM.jpg

And only Ratchet seems remotely next gen. I expect A LOT more of this gen.
Returnal would not be possible on PS4 neither would be Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls environmental and character assets are far too detailed. Also, the game loads instantly when you teleport around.

Returnal has very fancy particle effects and a ton of them on the screen too. The PS4 processor was already horrible to begin with, it would just physically not be possible.

nial

Gold Member
Add Just Dance 2023 to the list, releasing on PS5, Xbox Series and Switch, but not PS4 and Xbox One lol. Remember how the Wii was still getting these games until 2019?

Call of the Mountain is probably one of the most next gen gaming experiences “on the horizon”

Literally a game that can only be played on ps5, but its not next gen? Lol odd thread

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...-a-strong-reminder-of-vrs-magic/1100-6507473/
VR has been around since 2013 before PSVR/PSVR2 was even a thing. Just because PSVR 2 is a tad more powerful doesn't mean it's a next-gen experience. Maybe for VR it is, if you want a true insane VR experience you go play Half Life Alyx on Valve Index which was released in 2020. There is still nothing quite like it, and probably won't be for a while. I am not sure what people do not understand me not wanting to include PSVR2 titles in here. If you want a PSVR2 list so bad, you are more than welcome to take some time and put some effort into a PSVR 2 list and make a thread on it and discuss those titles there. This is a list for traditional console/pc titles that are utilizing the core new-generation hardware not add-ons or any additional hardware like the PSVR2.

Last edited:

Three

PS5
  1. Demon's Souls Remake
  2. Returnal
  3. Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart
  4. Ghostwire: Tokyo
  5. The Last of Us Part 1
  6. Destruction All Stars
  7. Neptunia Reverse

Multiplatform
  1. Deathloop
  2. The Medium
  3. Hell Let Loose
  4. Shredders
  5. Hellsinger
  6. Thymesia
Xbox
  1. Flight Simulator

Jim Ryan got upset that you mocked him about generations so he stopped in 2022. Even made a call to Capcom.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It’s been underwhelming so far imo. I should of held off buying and stuck with my PS4 Pro & 1X for the time being.

I tried several times to get a PS5, went thru several semesters of school and every time it was like "this is the season I get one" lol Now I just got accepted into a BFA program at a University and will have even less time. So when I had a bit of time and wanted it, cant find it, when some great shit is coming next year...won't have time lol So a mixture of, can't get one, less time then last year and the year prior.

Maybe next fall or something as I felt for sure RE4 remake would be the one and I'd just find a PS5 to play that...coming to PS4? well.....time to wait again lol

So Summer 2023 seems like when I'll try again to find one and start hunting again or something. Will have time and FFXVI is a legit reason and even if its delayed, I can still play a huge amount of next gen only stuff like Demon Souls remake, Last Of Us remake, Ratchet, would likely replay God Of War Ragnarok or something. Its easy to wait on this as we are at no shortage of game releases. I have a huge backlog to wait on.

Markio128

I thought about this. I think Ratchet, The Medium (because of the split screen) and Flight Sim (very CPU hungry) are the only games which wouldn't work on last gen. Everything else would be fairly easily scalable.
I honestly think that if the others could have been cross-gen, they would’ve. Returnal has some serious particles going on and the non-existent loading is key to the experience.

adamsapple

I thought about this. I think Ratchet, The Medium (because of the split screen) and Flight Sim (very CPU hungry) are the only games which wouldn't work on last gen. Everything else would be fairly easily scalable.

I think if you strip away the RT and drop frame rate to half, Ratchet looks about the same as the PS4 remake.

The medium only has the dual world thing keeping it up, otherwise it already looks no better than a mid gen PS4 era game.

Out of that few, Flight Sim is the only thing I don't think would have been doable last gen except for a Cloud version.

Markio128

I think if you strip away the RT and drop frame rate to half, Ratchet looks about the same as the PS4 remake.

The medium only has the dual world thing keeping it up, otherwise it already looks no better than a mid gen PS4 era game.

Out of that few, Flight Sim is the only thing I don't think would have been doable last gen except for a Cloud version.
So, if you take away next-gen features from a game, then it’ll be possible on last-gen? Genius.

adamsapple

So, if you take away next-gen features from a game, then it’ll be possible on last-gen? Genius.

For a cross gen release that is the kind of thing that will get stripped first. Just talking in hypotheticals.

I'm legit surprised TLoU part 1 is not cross gen.

Last edited:

Markio128

For a cross gen release that is the kind of thing that will get stripped first. Just talking in hypotheticals.

I'm legit surprised TLoU part 1 is not cross gen.
You could hypothetically strip any game to make it work on a previous gen, including Flight sim.

adamsapple

You could hypothetically strip any game to make it work on a previous gen, including Flight sim.

Of course you could, we have had flight sim games before as well.

It just won't be the same. Which is true for the other two examples too.

adamsapple

That released list is fucking pitiful........no wonder I don't have a XSX/PS5 under my TV yet.

You're right, but the one side effect of having a longer than usual crossgen period is that the new consoles are getting a lot of games with high frame rates.

High frame rates makes up for lack of visual flare more than enough IMO.

Last edited:
7 games, 2 "remakes", 1 piece of shit and we're left with 4 games in total. Deathloop could easily be done on last gen so in reality we're talking about 3 games.

LOL.

Can you see why I lose my collective shit whenever a new game is announced that is cross gen 🤬🤬🤬

Not one fucking reason to go out and buy a PS5/Xbox Series console. Short loading times and 4K/60 on old ass games is not a reason.

That released list is fucking pitiful........no wonder I don't have a XSX/PS5 under my TV yet.

tumblr_oby5brV38Q1vbe7guo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom