• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few words from the "The Lord of the Rings: Gollum" team - "No one wants to ship a bad game"

nemiroff

Gold Member
Would be funny it they couldn't even be bothered to write an actual apology letter lol. But I think it's a simple typo, I mean they are German after all, not grammar Nazis!

I put their text into ZeroGPT and lo and behold:

dubx9pr.png

The typo is there BECAUSE it's AI generated. I think that's pretty funny

Last edited:

ToadMan

At this point I’m so not caring that I can’t even bother to watch the review videos ripping the game, because I’ve heard it all already. Even those are old to me now.

This is also why I’ll never go to bat for developers/publishers. I remember people arguing how 30% was too much and developers need a bigger cut, etc. Tell you what…fuck ‘em. I don’t give a shit. If anything some don’t even deserve a 70% share of the sale.

You’ve put it inelegantly, but you’re right.

I hoped - although maybe it’s already too late - that Sony would CP2077 this and just remove it from sale at least until the crashes were fixed.

But so far no movement. Maybe the sales weren’t significant enough for Sony to make a move.

But in truth I wish platform holders would get involved earlier and stop these subpar releases before people pay their money.

Fbh

Can't dislike your for making a bad game, sometimes shit doesn't work out.
I can dislike you for releasing a product you know is broken and charging $59.99 for it hoping to get as much money as possible from unknowing customers before word spreads around about how broken your product is.

Last edited:

Success

What an absolute farce.

Put this message out before release if you are really sorry.

I have lost any and all respect for this developer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If a game has so many game breaking bugs that reviewers simply were unable to play the PS5 version to the end, it should never have shipped. Just imagine what kind of company would put such a completely broken game on a Blu-Ray disc and then print tens of thousands of copies?

Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

If a game has so many game breaking bugs that reviewers simply were unable to play the PS5 version to the end, it should never have shipped. Just imagine what kind of company would put such a completely broken game on a Blu-Ray disc and then print tens of thousands of copies?
It should have been refused certification from Sony or Microsoft.

Skifi28

Step 1) Release terrible product.
Step 2) Apologize about it and say you somehow totally missed it until release.
Step 3) Repeat from step 1.

Last edited:

skyfall

Thants nice and all but you're charging 60 bucks. If you're asking people to give you their money ''sorry it sucks, we tried'' doesn't really cut it

If you actually cared about people you wouldn't put a product out for profit that you know is subpar

Last edited:
Yes, because while YouTubers and game reviewers can go all high and mighty ‘this game is only $30!’, most of the public won’t.
I'm not sure that I see it that way. I would like to think that gamers and the general public aren't so entitled that they'd complain about a budget title. On second thought, Lawbreakers was released for $29.99 with CliffyB pushing for fairer pricing in the industry and all he got was shit and memed on. I guess you're right.

Saber

Gold Member
"Games are hard to make". Now say that to a consumer spending 60 bucks on this game.

Like, imagine a restaurant serving a dish that tastes like crap and saying "pity me for my garbage cooking skills, dishes are hard to make".

Or medics, or car sellers, supermarkets, music, movie industry, etc.

This mentally ill type of attitude only exists in games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I must admit that they shit the bed by charging full price for this train wreck. Their previous point and click adventure games were a fraction of the price and were much more enjoyable. I'm curious, if this were a $30 game then would the backlash be as strong?

That’s money that could’ve been put towards another game. If a $5 game ran like shit, I’d still get my money back.

I’m buying your product, not making a donation.

That’s money that could’ve been put towards another game. If a $5 game ran like shit, I’d still get my money back.

I’m buying your product, not making a donation.
Man please. Assuming you got $30 worth of enjoyment and playtime out of it then I'd say keep it.

Tiolazo

As picked up by various German websites, it seems Daedalic has received funding from the German government to the tune of around 2 million euros for another Lord of the Rings game. This one is codenamed “It’s Magic,” and “tells a story from a character's perspective that has never been told before.” The German government subsidy website provided the following description, which is all listed under a big Lord of the Rings banner, so we know what "lush world full of mythical creatures and magic" they're talking about...

Wtf..

Nydius

Don’t know if this will get me a warning for saying so but I’m getting very tired of devs releasing trash and then hiding behind “Game Development is Hard!” excuse for doing so. If I tried pulling that shit when I was working as a network engineer designing and maintaining corporate networks (“I know the network is down again but networking is hard!”) I would have been fired on the spot.

I’m also over the “blame management, not the devs” attitude. No. The rank and file devs have responsibilities toward their end product as well. If they see issues, it’s up to them, not just their management, to work them out. When a stinker of a game comes out, it’s not just management’s fault. Everyone shoulders responsibility (except maybe less coding dependent teams like art).

Sethbacca

"We appreciate your understanding"

Come on, there was zero understanding for this game even existing from the start.
The real question is how they didn't realize this was going to be ass from the start. Every single preview I've ever seen of this made it look like shovelware. They'd have been better off axing it and doing something else when they first realized it was a train wreck in the making.

ZoukGalaxy

Then why did you ship it ?

That's the usual PR damage control, fuck you, you knew very well what you were shipping.

Lying No Way GIF by Bounce

And if you didn't, close the studio and find a new job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom