• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few words from the "The Lord of the Rings: Gollum" team - "No one wants to ship a bad game"

Zannegan

I remember when this got announced I think like last year. The reception was the same as it is now. They should have dropped it then. Blame yourselves.

No one wants a Batman game where you're doing chores as Alfred
You say that, but I would have played an Arkham game where Pennyworth had to defend/take back the mansion after villains invaded.

Gollum though? Nevah.

Last edited:

lem0n

I'm getting all too used to seeing those stupid statements from the developers. And somehow they all say the same exact thing.

Sakura

What are patches going to do? The game is fundamentally flawed.
Why even make a fucking Gollum game in the first place?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Draugogth is a pillar of this community and I wonder how he makes time to eat a sandwich or take a shower.

RavageX

This is very accurate if you take time to think back. I've seen a lot of apologies for releasing shit games, or games that weren't ready. YOU KNOW if a game is not ready. YOU know if a game sucks. If it is out of your hands, there is nothing wrong with accepting that fact, but don't act surprised.

The Saints Row devs acted surprised when no one liked that reboot. FANS told them the entire damn time it was shit. Then when it came out and it was in fact, shit....here come the apologies.

Patches can not fix a game that is broken at the core. Are you going to create a whole new game world to replace the dead one you created? Replace the MAIN STORY entirely along with the characters?

Last edited:

Pejo

This game is probably one that should not have existed in the first place. Sad to see a lot of people waste their time on it. It doesn't even seem meme-worthy bad to play it for laughs, just uninterestingly bad.

But yea those Twitter letters can fuck off.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It could be worse......
22e.gif
S-5iul.gif

VulcanRaven

I'm suprised they posted that. I would expect companies to stay silent if a game is not very good. It could still sell well.

Last edited:

DrFigs

i don't really take joy in dunking on bad games. but it's such an odd decision to greenlight it. even if it was a good game, no one would buy it. it's a Gollum game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I stopped reading halfway through the first sentence.

How about spitting in the face of the people who bought the game while they're at it, lol.

If they'd have any kind of remorse then they wouldn't release this shit heap.

xrnzaaas

The concept of playing as Gollum and the game being a stealth oriented title wasn't bad, the execution is just wrong. They shipped a horrible game filled with bugs and they knew it for a long time it's gonna be like that. The project should've been cancelled many months ago (years?) or some actual attempts of rescuing it should've been made in the early stages of development, like hiring people with more experience in creating 3D games.

StereoVsn

Exactly this, its hard to sympathise when its a $70 full price release with ridiculous dlc attached…
Let's be real though. Anyone who actually bought this turd had it coming. I mean at some point got to put at least a modicum of thought toward your spending habits.

I am not excusing terrible effort with this game, but come on, why the F would ANYONE buy this?

Let's be real though. Anyone who actually bought this turd had it coming. I mean at some point got to put at least a modicum of thought toward your spending habits.

I am not excusing terrible effort with this game, but come on, why the F would ANYONE buy this?
‘I hate money and I hate enjoying myself in my spare time’ it’s the only possible thought process on the path to purchasing Gollum quest.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Do fuck off, lads.

You don’t get credit for immediately apologising for the piece of shit game you made… and were happy to release.

Filben

Didn't read that tweet. If they can't even be bothered to post text and/or on a platform readable on a smartphone, I won't bother with reading that tiny font on a down-scaled image.

All I can say is that the game looked mediocre at best from the start.

I'm probably the only person on this forum or elsewhere that has no problem with the story or the game itself. I think it's kind of cool in a way.

However, there is no excuse, absolutely no excuse, for the technical issues.

It also pisses me off to see other developers defend this shit, practically and people on Twitter agreeing with them.

Hopefully they patch this game up but there's still no excuse for it to be in the current state it's in.

Cyberpunkd

Don't assume the same people demanding it be shipped are the ones working on it. It doesn't work like that.

Please understand the top-down nature of the business, the people with the money and their representatives are the ones with the real decision making power and everyone underneath gets to abide by their decisions. All it takes is a middle-man to make bad choices and things can go very badly irrespective of the talent and work-ethic of the people tasked with doing the actual work.
Oy, just no. Don’t blame suits for this. There should have been team leads that were correctly evaluating and accounting for the lack of quality of the product.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh eat shit. I’m sure it was a difficult, humbling learning experience for the team and you would do many things differently if you could do it over, and you sincerely feel sorry for it… but you’re still fucking selling it for $60.

Tsaki

36 MC... This is a tier of score where pretty much everyone should just stop talking about it. It's not even worth the conversation.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is outrageous, honestly. Playing the sympathy card after selling a catastrophically bad and broken game for SIXTY DOLLARS.

Unless their publisher or shareholders or whatever literally forced them to release immediately, this is a terrible response.

This studio is dead. There's no coming back from this.

Quantum253

Oh eat shit. I’m sure it was a difficult, humbling learning experience for the team and you would do many things differently if you could do it over, and you sincerely feel sorry for it… but you’re still fucking selling it for $60.
Wasn't lore or something odd also gatekept behind the precious edition?

Kerotan

If they sold it for €20 like an indie game it would probably be better received. I remember all the constant hype for this in the playstation magazines after the ps5 reveal. What a turkey it turned out to be.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its Daedalic .... I never expected anything else... but usually there is SMOETHING good in their games

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Score some sympathy points with an apology letter so people feel bad about trashing us.

Great idea if you think about it. Only problem is… it’s nit new and everyone is doing it. So sod of Daedalic.

Last edited:

kyussman

Sorry our game is shit......we all knew it was shit but released it anyway at full price and didn't say anything......so yea,sorry about that...........cunts,utter cunts......fuck off!

I wonder how much of the blame lies with the publisher. I had to look it up, but apparently this game's published by Bigben. Not exactly known for its high quality releases. I doubt this game had a big budget either.

Mozzarella

36 MC... This is a tier of score where pretty much everyone should just stop talking about it. It's not even worth the conversation.
36 is a disaster of a score according to whats the norm.
But some people here apparently will tell you that this is simply "below average" and not bad, lmfao.

Kadve

Wasn't the ff14 team all dragged on stage and made to admit how they failed making a good game? Cause unless i misremember that was an apology i actually believe in.

They should just go back to making high quality adventure games instead of trying to to create AAA experiences.
And while they’re at it, they should start paying proper salaries as well.

But I guess they will give it another shot at AAA awesomeness with their next LotR game and it will be equally awful in the end.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
In previous generations shovelware-tier games would release for 20 bucks or less to court the grandmas looking for gifts. Maybe they should have sold it for 20 bucks or less.

Top Bottom