• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A FREE PLAY DEMO of Tales of Arise will be available on August 18th

Nankatsu

Tried the demo and I freaking love it.

It's Xenoblade 2 action pack in battle but on steroids, since this is way more action-rpg oriented.

It was already on my radar, but now it's clearly day uno.

Shifty1897

I played it and uh... I didn't enjoy it very much. Enemies felt like they had way too much HP; your sword might as well be a foam pool noodle. The artes gauge filled up so fast that I spent most of my time just spamming special moves that were, in turn, no longer special. The CP system is obtuse. I found the characters personalities samey and annoying, constantly shouting over one another in battle and always finding the need to start a conversation about the latest doodad I plucked from a resource spawn point. Graphically, the game had a lot of non-subtle pop in, but the art design impressed me. The comic book style skits feel cheap though.

TLDR:
The graphics and battle system are worse than FF7R's.
The characters are less interesting than Dragon Quest 11's.
The skits are worse than previous Tales games.

I realize a lot of people who played the demo seemed to really enjoy it, and I seem to be in the minority. I'm actually happy about that, I really like the Tales Of games and would like to see them continue.

Last edited:
Never played a Tales game in me life but after the demo I pre-ordered this. I just hope they fix the horrible pop in on ps5. That's a no go for me.

Yeah, this is a $30 dollar or less banger for me. Wasn’t a fan of the monster or character designs, but the graphics were pretty. Although I wasn’t a fan of how plastic-y things looked. I was confused by some things combat-wise tho. Hopefully the full game explains things better.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I wish the Artes and enemy HP pools were more in line with the older games. I felt the battles in Vesperia and such were the right duration. You could use some arte combos and launchers and be quick with them, but you would waste TP.

In this game you have infinite artes, but on a charge. Depletion causes a temporary stun. This means regular attacks seem to be near useless, but you need to manage your meter. CP system is kind of weird.

But full game starts you off at low level with almost no specials yet so I think it will be okay in the end.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
On PS5 the graphics either look like everything is covered in vaseline or runs at 20 FPS.

Not really much of a choice honestly, it needs some serious optimisation work, it has a really short distance before certain items pop into existence too, very noticeable.

Otherwise it's like any other tales game... at least potentially. The animation and models are a step up and the skits have changed to feel more quality overall... however while all the skits are voiced certain lines in world are not, this really hits hard... if you want to make your game feel like it's in the modern age then it should he voiced, things that are guaranteed to happen should be spoken not the optional skits... its like they out the cart before the horse.

Last edited:

Banned
Well to be fair, Grand Zeroes wasn’t really a demo. Everything was specifically made for that game, not cut out of Phantom Pain.

I was talking about the demo for MGS2 being only available for people that bought Zone of the Enders, basically making it a paid demo.

and they did it again with the demo for Metal Gear Rising, which was first exclusively available with the remaster of Zone of the Enders

Obviously, you pronounce it テイルズ オブ アライズ.
Filthy gaijin...
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Kamina

Golden Boy
How do u even pronounce it? I think I made myself a fool pre-ordering this instore at Gamestop.
You can’t pronounce Tales of Arise?
like “rise” but with an “a” in front

Am I the only one that consistently reads the title of this games as "Tales of Arse"?
If you buy the swimsuits costume DLCs you can look at some arse alright. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Arthimura

Honestly, i didn't enjoy the demo.

The combat system is too messy, I played with three different characters and it's hard to tell what's going on.

I prefer more tactical and clean combat systems, like in Xenoblade Chronicles and Final Fantasy.

You can’t pronounce Tales of Arise?
like “rise” but with an “a” in front

If you buy the swimsuits costume DLCs you can look at some arse alright. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That's what I thought. But then the guy at Gamestop called it Tales of Ah-Ris. So I don't know. Not that I care all that much.

Kamina

Golden Boy
That's what I thought. But then the guy at Gamestop called it Tales of Ah-Ris. So I don't know. Not that I care all that much.
1.) Go back and tell him that you found out its Tales of Arse
2.) wait until people come and ask for the game
3.) ? ? ?
4.) Profit

JayK47

Sounds like the Ultimate edition just includes more costumes. Hopefully the base game has all story content.

Jadsey

The Sixth Axis broke review embargo by mistake I'm guessing because their review was up for 5 mins and got taken down.

The game looks like an absolute banger, probably RPG of the year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom