• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Gamer Has Beaten Superman 64 Over 300 Times.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Despite the game's poor quality, gamer Zachary Pligge has completed the game once a month since 2004. In December, Pligge completed the game for the 300th time. Pligge is well aware of the game's quality, but he keeps on playing for one, simple reason: he lost a bet.

In an interview with Game Informer magazine (issue 323), Pligge revealed the details of the bet. As a high school sophomore, Pligge and a friend made a bet about an upcoming cross country race between their two schools. Pligge had defeated his opponent several times throughout the year, and the two decided that the loser of the bet would have to complete a game (chosen by the winner) every month until the loser gave up video games as a hobby. Pligge, a lifelong Superman fan, was stuck with Superman 64, a game he hated.

Pligge's friend passed away in 2009, but Pligge continues to honor the bet, after all these years. According to the gamer, he has never missed completing the game in a month, and can now clear it in just over two hours. While Pligge's opinion of the game hasn't improved, what it means to him has clearly changed.

stranno

Superman Returns for DS is far worse, imo. At least Superman: The New Superman Adventures has intuitive controls, Superman Returns controls are beyond awful, graphics are terrible, AI sucks..

Last edited:

NickFire

Commendable loyalty to a lost friend. But he should really see one of those tv people who can (allegedly) talk to the dead. I have to believe his friend will chuckle and have her tell him he can stop now.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Superman Returns for DS is far worse, imo. At least Superman: The New Superman Adventures has intuitive controls, Superman Returns controls are beyond awful, graphics are terrible, AI sucks..

Seems a lot quicker than Supes 64 and looks better to me.

Vawn

Banned
Wouldn't it be better just to kill the person you made the bet with and stop the madness?

This poor, poor soul

I have PTSD cold-sweat flashbacks of trying to fly through those fuckin' rings as a kid

Nightmare fuel

Props to him for following this through

Last edited:

Despite the game's poor quality, gamer Zachary Pligge has completed the game once a month since 2004. In December, Pligge completed the game for the 300th time. Pligge is well aware of the game's quality, but he keeps on playing for one, simple reason: he lost a bet.

In an interview with Game Informer magazine (issue 323), Pligge revealed the details of the bet. As a high school sophomore, Pligge and a friend made a bet about an upcoming cross country race between their two schools. Pligge had defeated his opponent several times throughout the year, and the two decided that the loser of the bet would have to complete a game (chosen by the winner) every month until the loser gave up video games as a hobby. Pligge, a lifelong Superman fan, was stuck with Superman 64, a game he hated.

Pligge's friend passed away in 2009, but Pligge continues to honor the bet, after all these years. According to the gamer, he has never missed completing the game in a month, and can now clear it in just over two hours. While Pligge's opinion of the game hasn't improved, what it means to him has clearly changed.

I would love to see him to a 2 hour speedrun on that game, the few times I tried it back in the day it was extremely unplayable so I couldn't imagine doing it in 2 hours?!

I came for the gifs...

giphy.gif

drganon

That is some crazy shit. I admire his continued tribute to his friend who passed away. If nothing else, everytime he beats that terrible game, maybe he gets to connect with his departed friend in some way.

Honestly, after one of the two people pass away, it's okay to finish the bet. Call it a day. Playing in their honor is kind, but not necessary. Superman 64 is a terrible game made by people who were confused what kind of game they were making, Matt McMuscles has gone over the problems in development
If he wanted to send off the game with a tribute, make a speed run of it and all proceeds go to a charity. He would garner support for just finishing the game in a timely manner and might even walk away with a world record. Only one way to find out.

Top Bottom