• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Goldeneye 007 remaster ‘could be revealed in the next few weeks’, it’s claimed

Deerock71

Black Widow Avengers GIF

Apocryphon

True, you are right, it was perfect dark. Not sure but if you are moving your gun and who screen does not move with it, I am simply not a fan.
It does move the screen. The fine aim mode where you can move your weapon/arm without it moving the screen requires you to hold a button down. You aren't required to use it at all.

Sybrix

Everyone cries for this game. No one will play it.
Right, I mean it was a great game but playing it now, even a remaster and you’ll see how dated it is.

A few people will play it and that’s it.

Also wasn’t their a remaster or something on the 360 years ago? On XBLA IIRC…

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
?

I’d definitely replay the entire career and would put 10 or so hours in to online MP.
Yeah, the campaign was great. Ahead of its time with the objectives and multiple ways to finish a level. If they update the controls I'd definitely replay the campaign.

Kacho

Gold Member
I had the Goldeneye remaster on the Wii.
I would classify that abomination as a remake, using COD as the baseline for the overall design. Absolutely haram.

This is hopefully identical to the Perfect Dark remaster they did on the 360 with updated textures and modern controlls. That’s all we need baby. Sheeeit.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

I have a younger brother who is 16 who mostly grew up playing modern shooters. He downloaded both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on an emulator on his PC and has been playing through both campaigns on the highest difficulty. We have both games on the N64, so he's watched me play them before and has tried a few times himself, but he's never played through the games fully until now.

He now says these two games are his two favorite single player FPSs of all time. And we're talking about a kid who has mostly played stuff like CS:GO or Fortnite up until now. The people saying these games haven't aged well are full of shit.

Sure, maybe the controls take some getting used to on the original controller. Or you can always find a way to play the game with controls that are comfortable for you like my brother did. But you can't talk shit about the game design. I think my brother is proof anyone could still enjoy these games today. Especially if they remake it for modern systems.

I do think it's happening. There's been too many leaks and hints over the past 6 months or so.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Just give me facility and watch me hide down the bottom where the body armour was and let me own my older brother again for the 10000000th time.:messenger_beaming:

we used to play for pints of cold water, end of the night id be 4 or 5 up and get to pour them over his head in the garden, good times.

I'll definitely be playing this.

Although a remake would be the best option for me rather than a straight up remaster.

Nice to have though.

Last edited:

Audiophile

It's an absolute necessity that lights can be shot out.

I recall me and my brother being in awe when we realised we could shoot lights out. Second only to the bonnet flying off in Toca.

Simple times..

I’d imagine it will be the best selling title the week it releases. It’s a legendary game.
Have you played it lately? It's aged amazingly poorly and nothing like you remember.

Now, I never played the full remake that has leaked, but wasn't officially allowed to release. We will see if Xbox gets that or if it gets the same N64 version that will also likely launch on Switch Online Expansion Pass.

clarky

Gold Member
Maybe in the nostalgia bubble. I cannot see this game being successful being the same core experience.
It'll never be main stream successful, loose the core experience loose the whole point of bringing it back. Remake/ remaster whatever, but just update the graphics and frame rate to 2022 standards. Maybe modern controls as on option, online MP, but everything else stays the same.

It's just a nice to have, holds alot of great memories for me and will deffo give a blast from time to time. I'm expecting it on Game pass so all good.

SCB3

Has Jeff Grubb ever been right? Do you just need to be loud and boisterous to be taken seriously?
He makes very obvious and educated guesses, hang around forums and Reddit and you can pretty much predict a lot of the same stuff, this isn't new btw GE has been rumored for years, since the height of the 360 even

For what its worth, GoldenEye has not aged well, however it is an important game, it was the first proper FPS game on consoles that proved they could work, before this we only had poor ports of DOOM and 3rd Person shooters

Some people were confusing the other goldeneye games, so theres a few:

• The Original - N64
  • GoldenEye Rouge Agent - PS2, Xbox, Gamecube (I think the Wii got a version as well)

Then we had the Activision games with Daniel Craig in Goldeneye:

• Goldeneye 007 - Wii (This version came with a Gold Classic Controller, I actually picked this up cheap last week, pretty decent for the time imo)
  • Goldeneye Reloaded - Xbox 360, PS3 based on the Wii Version with CoD like controls
  • Then there was supposed to be a XBLA version for 360 that was cancelled, probably due to rights, this was leaked and dumped online a few years ago and playable on PC

Last edited:

ManaByte

Then there was supposed to be a XBLA version for 360 that was cancelled, probably due to rights, this was leaked and dumped online a few years ago and playable on PC

The XBLA game was a remaster of the N64 game. While Rare was involved and Nintendo approved it, Activision had the exclusive Bond rights at the time and wouldn't permit it to be released.

Top Bottom